• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

Trouble

Banned
Staying downtown and no car? You like beer? If so hit up Collins Pub, Pine Box and Stumbling Monk.

I really like Quinn's up on Pike (Capitol Hill) for food. Good drinks, too.

Speaking of beer, spent half the day last Saturday at Chuck's Hop Shop Central District. Really great place if you have friends with kids who still want to drink beer out in public (aside from the odd beerfest). We had some prior-Seattlite friends visiting for the weekend, so they set up shop so people could come and go as baby nap schedules dictated. Drank tasty beers and a monster cuban sandwich inspired biscuit from the food truck.
A+++ would get drunk there again.

Really great place if you have friends with kids who still want to drink beer out in public (aside from the odd beerfest).

That's pretty much 90% of beer establishments in Seattle, to be honest. I like Chuck's Greenwood, even if parking sucks.

Resident Seattle beer dad.

NR1

I went up to Seattle back at the first week of September with a small group of friends for a wedding. I served as best man for my buddy Blake. We all live in Dallas, Texas, so they had to get married out of state.

Very pretty city! We didn't get to see everything, but we saw quite a bit. The very first place we visited was a restaurant near the house we rented in the Ravenna neighborhood- Cafe Racer. It was an odd place, but it felt a little weird. We came to find about a few days later from a friend that lives in the area that the cafe was the site of a mass shooting 2 years ago!

2012 Seattle Cafe Shooting Spree

Anyway, I made this video montage for the grooms that was shown at their reception this past weekend here in Dallas. It basically chronicles our time together in Seattle. Thought I would share. :)

23 Minutes- YouTube

I went up to Seattle back at the first week of September with a small group of friends for a wedding. I served as best man for my buddy Blake. We all live in Dallas, Texas, so they had to get married out of state.

Very pretty city! We didn't get to see everything, but we saw quite a bit. The very first place we visited was a restaurant near the house we rented in the Ravenna neighborhood- Cafe Racer. It was an odd place, but it felt a little weird. We came to find about a few days later from a friend that lives in the area that the cafe was the site of a mass shooting 2 years ago!

I live probably half a mile from Cafe Racer. Great place for coffee and breakfast burritos. One of my friend's sisters was in there during the shooting. She didn't get hurt, but it took it's toll on her emotionally.

NR1

I live probably half a mile from Cafe Racer. Great place for coffee and breakfast burritos. One of my friend's sisters was in there during the shooting. She didn't get hurt, but it took it's toll on her emotionally.

Oh wow! Sorry to hear that your friend's sister had to be directly involved in such a horrible situation. So sad.

Two things that we all noticed when we got to Seattle were the homeless and smoking among the young. Dallas has homeless too, but they are not as visually present or wide spread. Smoking amoung younger people isn't as common either in Dallas. It was rare not to see a 20/30 something year old without a cig. That seemed really ironic considering the city's efforts and focus on healthly living.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hey I have a cold so I needed chicken soup so I went to Ramen Man and this time I met Mr Nug Nug and he was awesome but also the boiled eggs are somewhat soft boiled now and therefore extremely delicious.

I shook hands with nug so now he probably has a cold.

Hey I have a cold so I needed chicken soup so I went to Ramen Man and this time I met Mr Nug Nug and he was awesome but also the boiled eggs are somewhat soft boiled now and therefore extremely delicious.

I shook hands with nug so now he probably has a cold.

That was awesome, my boss and co-worker were asking me who you were. I almost laughed out loud when you said my GAF name.

dLMN8R

Sorry MrNugNug, my wife and I have been there a few times but you're always so busy it seems weird to introduce myself :p

Super delicious as always though!

Stinkles

Sorry MrNugNug, my wife and I have been there a few times but you're always so busy it seems weird to introduce myself :p

Yeah they partially stepped up their already good game.

Spicy miso with egg noodles (i need the extra chew) and the slightly softer boiled eggs makes all the difference. Although I still got to give it to Kukai (northgate is now awesome) for sheer variety, especially the izakaya stuff. Surprised Mr. Ramen can't cooperate more with its sister restaurant next door to get me mah kara age. And more boozes.

Even just a "Believe" will suffice as you pass by.

Yeah they partially stepped up their already good game.

Spicy miso with egg noodles (i need the extra chew) and the slightly softer boiled eggs makes all the difference. Although I still got to give it to Kukai (northgate is now awesome) for sheer variety, especially the izakaya stuff. Surprised Mr. Ramen can't cooperate more with its sister restaurant next door to get me mah kara age. And more boozes.

Kukai has better ramen than us. Tried it not too long ago. That yuzu shio ramen was stellar.

Stinkles

Even just a "Believe" will suffice as you pass by.

Kukai has better ramen than us. Tried it not too long ago. That yuzu shio ramen was stellar.

I think their fried chicken is literally the best in town. But your broth is so distinct and creamy that it's hard to objectively compare.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Funny, we just ate at Kukai Northgate not half an hour ago. No one in our party was super impressed, tbh; it's good - the eggs in particular - but didn't stand out as anything special.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Miso, tonkotsu x2, and a garlic tonkotsu.

The servers were really flaky and uninformed, too. Also heard a number of other tables complaining about the lack of beer or sake.

The servers were really flaky and uninformed, too. Also heard a number of other tables complaining about the lack of beer or sake.

They still don't have their liquor license? They've got Kirin tap handles and pint glasses behind the bar...

The manager of ramen man quit and crossed over to Kukai. I ran into him when I was there. My bosses aren't too pleased.

Phthisis

Hit the NW Chocolate Festival today at Bell Harbor. Good god. From 3-5 I literally spent two hours drinking chocolate infused bourbon and various other chocolate cocktails. Highly recommended. It's open tomorrow too.

dubc35

hTqwNgQ.png
Bam, moderate hipster, lol. I would not describe myself as hip at all, or fashionably modern.

Quiz on the P-I

The Macklemore question was funny. I like the song he did for Dave Niehaus, but other than that I'm absolutely indifferent to him.

Math and Physics Club is the shit, though.

jb1234

Half of those questions don't even apply to me. I don't drink beer and only really listen to classical music. I apparently also drive a Subaru (It's a Mazda).

Regardless, I'm apparently a moderate hipster.

dLMN8R

I'm happy I can stop pretending to like the sun for 100-200 days! Yay for comfortable walks in light rain and warm clothes! Yay for staying inside and watching TV and playing video games! Yay for not feeling bad about hanging out at a bar with people in the middle of the day when the sun is shining!

Brakke

Banned
I actually prefer the rain, too: else I wouldn't have moved here. Plus I look better in cold weather, all my clothes are much nicer.

Anyone got a bead on any Halloween shenanigans? I'm trying to decide whether to go to a place or to throw a bash at my place. I'd rather go out--it's less work--but this is going to be my first for real Halloween since moving to Seattle. Don't have any read on what the scene is like or where costumed revelry things happen.

cdyhybrid

I actually prefer the rain, too: else I wouldn't have moved here. Plus I look better in cold weather, all my clothes are much nicer.

Anyone got a bead on any Halloween shenanigans? I'm trying to decide whether to go to a place or to throw a bash at my place. I'd rather go out--it's less work--but this is going to be my first for real Halloween since moving to Seattle. Don't have any read on what the scene is like or where costumed revelry things happen.

I'm going to Freaknight.

Only bad part about fall is when we get the nasty cold wind too.

It does get a bit harder to motivate myself to play soccer games at 8:30 at night though

Taking my daughter trick or treating around our neighborhood, and then down to Fremont Brewing. Candy for the kiddos and beer for mom and dad.

I like that second part. I'm going to ask the wife if she wants to follow your example. She'll probably rather go to that new Cider place though, but I don't think they allow kids...

I hear our neighborhood doesn't do much trick or treating though (Border of Fremont/Ballard)

I have no idea if Schilling lets kids in, but I kinda doubt it since it's a bar.

I like that second part. I'm going to ask the wife if she wants to follow your example. She'll probably rather go to that new Cider place though, but I don't think they allow kids...

I hear our neighborhood doesn't do much trick or treating though (Border of Fremont/Ballard)

There isn't much trick-or-treating in Greenlake, either. But there are a few houses that partake and I want my daughter to experience Halloween the way that it should be done. In your neighborhood. Not at a mall.

We'll probably also hit up Wallingford, the people there still believe in the real meaning of Halloween. Handing out candy to kids.

I think the highest number of trick or treaters we've ever had at our house was four.

riotous

Banned
Parents are just way more squeamish in general.

Potential danger was all a part of the fun when I was a kid.. teenagers driving around mugging kids for candy was about all you'd ever run into.. or just running into other kids who want to fight or something.

Being in a costume is a great excuse for anonymous shenanigans.

Chris R

Sounders fans - crossposting this from the American Soccer thread - http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=135800026&postcount=11069

Basically, I'm flying from Vegas back to Alaska tomorrow, but realized there was a game during my layover. IF I can't talk to Alaskan to depart at 8PM instead of 2PM I'd give my ticket to the game tomorrow to the first person to contact me. I still hope I can watch the game, even with the supposedly shitty weather tomorrow.

Chris R

I would have at least picked a very late flight instead of something that gives me 3 or 4 hours in Seattle while waiting for my next leg. That's what I get for booking a sprung business trip in 30 minutes instead of researching for a few hours :(

Edit: offer rescinded I'll be at the game.

Top Bottom