• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
We did Costco for the first year up here. Couldn't deal with the hellacious lines and constantly being out of stock of what was needed. Sam's is always empty and well-stocked, which works well since we can get in and out quickly.

Anyone familiar with the Sounder train? We bought a new place in Pierce County and I'll need to take it (or a ST bus) in to downtown starting next summer.

I refused to go to cosco for years. I consider it stress in a shopping center, I don't care how much cheaper it is.

Finally my wife convinced me to get a membership when she pointed out the discount on car rentals pays for the membership.

Now we go once a month.

mYm|17|

I usually go to Costco and get their steak/chicken/pork.

It's nice to cut the portions down and just freeze them for later use.

Just booked a trip with my girlfriend from December 30 - Jan 6th. Got a rental car and we are staying near the University district. Any recommendations for stuff other than food / drink? I got a huge list of restaurants / bars already so anything else worth checking out is more than welcome. Thanks guys.

Reposting just once. Figured I'd put my list of stuff I have up and if anyone has any thoughts on it.

AFcJZ7F.png

None of this is set in stone or anything except maybe Joule as a nice dinner place.

Reposting just once. Figured I'd put my list of stuff I have up and if anyone has any thoughts on it.

None of this is set in stone or anything except maybe Joule as a nice dinner place.

Good call on Joule. Spicy rice cakes.

Staple and Fancy
Brouwers Cafe (if you like beer)
Burgundian
Toronado (if you like beer)
Westward
Bell + Whete
Salumi

Saturday morning:
1. Herkimer Coffee
2. Morsel (breakfast sandwiches)
3. U District farmers market

Brakke

Banned
^
Bell + Whete is aight; go some time when there'd be a bunch of dogs at the park across the street so you can watch dogs be dogs
I like Brouwers a lot

;_; still haven't been to Salumi but everyone raves ;_;

Dope:
Ramen Man
Columbia Tower (better than going to the top of the Needle)
Roux (I've actually only been there for brunch but it's slammin')
Add A Ball

Aight:
Underground tour
Knee High Stocking
Bathtub Gin
EMP

You missed:
Walrus and the Carpenter
(which is near) Card Kingdom (if you want to dork out at a huge board game store; they also got a bar you can borrow basically any game that ever existed and play and drink and carry on)
Din Tai Fung for some sweet, sweet dumps.

Other things on your list I'm either not familiar with or don't really have opinions about.

I'm a fan of Trophy over Cupcake Royale.

If you're into retro gaming at all (and can get away with it with the better half), try to hit Super Smash Games in Ballard or Another Castle in Edmonds.

Elle_

Neo Member
I'd go to Costco, but as a single guy living alone I don't consume enough to make it worth it.

Get someone to give you a gift card. Gets you in without having to buy a membership. My mother sends a card every Christmas... my husband and I go maybe twice a year and it's perfect for that.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow

I'd substitute Belltown's Yellow Leaf Cupcake instead of Cupcake Royale or Trophy. The latter two are certainly bigger and more popular in the area, but they're pretty generic: somewhat dry cake, extremely sweet butter-and-powdered-sugar frosting, and everything's made pretty much assembly line style. Yellow Leaf is much better quality cake and frosting (egg white-based, so it's very light, far less sweet, and lets you actually taste the flavors) tons of interesting varieties that use fresh spices, tea, essential oils, fruit purees, house-made caramel, etc. They've got the best carrot and red velvet cakes I've tasted.

riotous

Banned
A lady I work with won the $90 million Powerball.

Pretty crazy; she's been at work the last week with a big shit eating grin on her face wearing ugly Christmas sweaters. I only recently started working in the same building as her and don't get the impression that she's usually in a good mood.. lol.

edit: mentioned in this thread as you guys might see it on the local news

cdyhybrid

Pretty crazy; she's been at work the last week with a big shit eating grin on her face wearing ugly Christmas sweaters. I only recently started working in the same building as her and don't get the impression that she's usually in a good mood.. lol.

...Why is she still at work? :p

riotous

Banned
...Why is she still at work? :p

A vague e-mail went around this morning that she was going to do her best to wrap up things before she retired.. with a vague "watch the news at noon to find out why I'm retiring."

I imagine many of her friends are her work colleagues; her job isn't particularly difficult either.

Nice of her to transition out.

If I up and left my job tons of stuff would fall apart... part of me thinks I'd stick around to help transition out.. but another part of me wants to slap that part of me in the face and immediately bail.

The winner of those national lottery always seem to be in Cal or Florida. I've never seen someone from WA win it all.

Alright this is proof you can win from this state. I guess my turn to TRY!

Brakke

Banned
My Gramps won the lotto once. It was a pretty small state pot and he had to split it a few ways so he ended up with like $115,000 or so. Seems like the healthiest way to win the lotto. Enough to make a big difference (gramps donated a pile to some personal-interest charity, paid off the mortgage and the car, bought some nice furniture, stashed a bit away) but not totally revolutionize your life.

Don't get me wrong, I'd absolutely take $90 mil. But I'd be constantly worried about the double-edged-ness of it. Probably most best to win when you're old / looking at retiring anyway.

My Gramps won the lotto once. It was a pretty small state pot and he had to split it a few ways so he ended up with like $115,000 or so. Seems like the healthiest way to win the lotto. Enough to make a big difference (gramps donated a pile to some personal-interest charity, paid off the mortgage and the car, bought some nice furniture, stashed a bit away) but not totally revolutionize your life.

Don't get me wrong, I'd absolutely take $90 mil. But I'd be constantly worried about the double-edged-ness of it. Probably most best to win when you're old / looking at retiring anyway.

Well of course there's going to be bad that comes from it EX. family out of nowhere asking for handouts, but still you have to take that double edge sword any day of the week.

P.S I hate this cold. BRING ON SPRING!

blurrygil

If you're into retro gaming at all (and can get away with it with the better half), try to hit Super Smash Games in Ballard or Another Castle in Edmonds.

I'm friends with both sets of owners. Good guys. AC has selection, where SSG has good prices and my bro Andy will get you just about *anything* you're hunting for.

But if it's a one-off experience, hit AC. They have an arcade (with some of my former machines in there ;D) and I think they're trying to get booze served in there, now?

^

You missed:
Walrus and the Carpenter
(which is near) Card Kingdom (if you want to dork out at a huge board game store; they also got a bar you can borrow basically any game that ever existed and play and drink and carry on)
Din Tai Fung for some sweet, sweet dumps.

Other things on your list I'm either not familiar with or don't really have opinions about.

Keep in mind Mox Boardhouse grand opening is Saturday out here in Bellevue (I say that as I work in Redmond) and it's pretty huge, much bigger than Mox AFAIK.

Keep in mind Mox Boardhouse grand opening is Saturday out here in Bellevue (I say that as I work in Redmond) and it's pretty huge, much bigger than Mox AFAIK.

Yeah, but it's in Bellevue.

Winter Beer Fest tomorrow night!

I'll be there. I'll be the bearded guy drinking beer.

I thought that was me?

No, I'm Spartacus!

I won't actually be there though :(

Brakke

Banned

Oooo didn't know about this. Cool. I've been getting into Warmachine with some buds and the space in Ballard is super cramped if all the tables are running. Will check this out (on a weekend that isn't a shitshow).

blurrygil

Oooo didn't know about this. Cool. I've been getting into Warmachine with some buds and the space in Ballard is super cramped if all the tables are running. Will check this out (on a weekend that isn't a shitshow).

Yeah, tons more tables they've said.

*Edit: I understand these aren't war tables, really. But it's the best pic I could find.

bellfood11.jpg

Brakke

Banned
Yeah, tons more tables they've said.

*Edit: I understand these aren't war tables, really. But it's the best pic I could find.

bellfood11.jpg

New location looks great! And yeah, they have a pic of the war tables, too:

bellevuegal1.jpg

Looks like there'll be more room to breath thank god.

Phthisis

They soft-opened a couple weeks ago, and I've been in there more times than I haven't. It's ridiculous.

(And they have High Water S'mores Stout on draft, which is amazing).

riotous

Banned
That looks pretty amazing.

Are they fairly noob friendly?

Or is it more a place for friends to show up and play together?

Phthisis

They're everyone friendly. That's the beauty: there really isn't a stigma for subculture or experience. You show up to drink, eat, play and be social. They'll help you learn new games, too, if you ask.

Brakke

Banned

I've had exclusively good experiences at CK / Mox, especially getting into Warmachine. Everybody is chill dorks.

That said I haven't tried playing Magic there. It think those dudes (they are exclusively dudes) are let's say a little less welcoming.

riotous

Banned
Thanks; and yeah that's not too surprising about MTG.

Ironically my wife is the one who has played Magic for years.

Any of you ever go to the gaming night thing at the Tower Club? That's another thing we thought about checking out.

That said I haven't tried playing Magic there. It think those dudes (they are exclusively dudes) are let's say a little less welcoming.

I've had good experiences at pre-releases for Magic at Mox. You gotta get a ticket in advance, but there's usually a pretty chill and welcoming crowd, including kids and ladies. Sometimes some of the WOTC folk are around too.

Wreav

Banned
Had a great 3 night stay in Seattle last week, we stayed at a B&B on Greenlake, and mostly did touristy stuff (Needle/Pikes/Freemont Troll/Woodland Park). I was blown away by the hospitality of folks that we met. This was my first trip to the pacific northwest, and my expectations were totally miscalculated; in fact, I'd say the hospitality shown to us exceeds even my own beloved Texas. A la Mode Pies was my personal highlight, and the Bluebird snickerdoodle local ice cream they had was amazing.

I will say after 3 days of driving around town, I don't know how you guys can live with 4 way intersections with no stop or yield signs. Multiple panic attacks were had. Also all of the 5 and 6 way intersections, intermixed with bus and bikes lanes, are something I've never experienced, wild stuff.

Gorgeous city, and can't wait to come back some day! A few pics from our trip:

dLMN8R

Glad you had a great trip! My house is a ~10 minute walk from the troll so it's always fun seeing those shots. I usually end up walking by it once a week or so :)

Wreav

Banned
Forgot to mention Rachel's Ginger Beer, fun store and great product. So sad to find out they don't distribute, I was going to beat up my local fru fru grocer.

Forgot to mention Rachel's Ginger Beer, fun store and great product. So sad to find out they don't distribute, I was going to beat up my local fru fru grocer.

We get a growler of RGB every Saturday at the University Farmers Market. Good stuff. Guava is my favorite.

The PCC here in Green Lake always seems to have blood orange RGB growlers alongside standard bottles, too.

Trouble

Banned

Rachel is one of the owners of Montana, they have her ginger beer on tap for making Moscow Mules. Yum!

Go up the street to Tommy Gun for a better Moscow Mule with their homemade ginger beer.

riotous

Banned
I did earlier this year. Amazing views from up there. I took a timelapse of the piers for a couple hours.

Cool; yeah I've been up there before as a guest of a member for drinks.

We get a growler of RGB every Saturday at the University Farmers Market. Good stuff. Guava is my favorite.

The PCC here in Green Lake always seems to have blood orange RGB growlers alongside standard bottles, too.

Amazon Fresh delivers the regular, White Peach, Blood Orange, and Blueberry varieties in Growlers.

Not sure if the price is any good though.. think it's like $15.00.

riotous

Banned
Bad move, Amazon. Bad move.

They probably aren't profiting from the current model.

Basically it's $200 a year for the Fresh aspect; Prime is already $99 and comes with Prime Fresh.

Won't stop me from using it. Especially since it lowers the free delivery amount to $50.

Top Bottom