• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

Concept17

As far as diversity goes, it depends where you live, but for the most part, Seattle is one of the whitest cities in America (along with Portland). There are definitely much more diverse neighborhoods, but it's one my wife's biggest complaints about the city (she comes from LA).

If you live and work on the eastside you'll have much more diversity (or the north or south ends of the city).

As far as the Seattle Freeze, a lot of people are cliquey, but there are a lot of cool people too. You just got to find something you like and you'll make connections.

Having moved here from a 95% white state, I find this not true at all. There is plenty of diversity in Seattle.

jb1234

Hey guys so is the Seattle freeze legit? I'm thinking of relocating here or Austin. I'm a black male looking for diversity and a good career in web development

You'll find people who believe in the Seattle Freeze and others who find it overstated. I think most will agree that the people here tend to keep to themselves and aren't especially open. This definitely isn't a city where people will chat with each other when passing on the sidewalk.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hey guys so is the Seattle freeze legit? I'm thinking of relocating here or Austin. I'm a black male looking for diversity and a good career in web development

It's pretty white but you can be our black friend!

But seriously Freeze is bullshit, you could find that in any city thanks to confirmation bias.

Not very diverse and there's still a lot of defacto segregation and economic disparity but it's getting better.

All in all I'd say it's an absolutely amazing place to live if you can just remember that May-September is coming.

I also love Austin except for humidity and roaches.

I'm in your boat for different reasons, but I find that both cities are the shit.

I've had nothing but good experiences as a black man who's spent time in Seattle and I've heard nothing but good things about Austin. You can't lose either way if you're a social person. As long as you don't go in thinking you're the center of the universe and people will seek to orbit you just because you draw breath, you'll be fine anywhere in America, tbqh. Just like in College, find groups doing things that interest you and your network will expand naturally.

That said, if being around black faces is important to you, expect Austin to provide you the better experience and better set of social outlets and options that are likely to appeal to you. That's just a fact.

My strong recommendation to you: spend at least a week in both cities. I assume you have some connections in both cities/areas? If so, use them. The shit is important and relocating shouldn't be a guessing game partially hinging on GAF suggestions and thoughts. Fuck that, this is your life and it's a significant commitment for a bunch of reasons. Experience both and make a decision you know from first-hand experience was the best option for you. And since you're open to locations, also consider:

- Portland
- Boulder
- Denver
- Charlotte

Blunoise

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll will be going on a trip for one of those places for a weekend with my gf. So I'll see what the feel is, I do think the chill calm nature of Seattle with dealt with me, while as the energizing and outdoor activists of Austin will too. This is a hard choice

I'd say yes and no, while there are people that cliquey as hell. I've also met plenty of friendly folk, it's more of putting yourself out there and engaging with people. You'd be surprised how friendly people can be with striking up some small talk and seeing that it was all in your head.

cdyhybrid

Depends on what you mean by legit, I guess. There are flakey people everywhere, but not everyone is like that.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll will be going on a trip for one of those places for a weekend with my gf. So I'll see what the feel is, I do think the chill calm nature of Seattle with dealt with me, while as the energizing and outdoor activists of Austin will too. This is a hard choice

Seattle has a metric shitton of outdoor stuff too, it's just that the weather isn't always suited for it :p

We do have skiing/snowboarding close by if you into that sort of thing though!

Born and raised in King County PNWer and now live in Seattle. Super friendly to people. HOWEVER! I've got a solid group of friends and a wife and kid. I don't really have time to do stuff with all of them, so making new friends isn't on my radar.

jb1234

I personally think the Seattle Freeze extends to the entire PNW.

I've moved around a TON, never had problems making great friends, until I moved here. People just don't...I dunno. There's this other mom, she lets her kids stay over, mine stay at her place, and every time I try to actually form a relationship with her, she backs off.

I have lived here nearly 5 years now and the only friend I have in the PNW is someone I met online lol.

You and me against the world.

(Or at least the PNW. ;))

I'm like the nicest person ever! I don't know... I'm from here born and raise can't say I ever felt like I gave anyone the cold shoulder just because they aren't.

I'm like the nicest person ever! I don't know... I'm from here born and raise can't say I ever felt like I gave anyone the cold shoulder just because they aren't.

Yeah, I'm willing to talk to anyone, especially when I'm out in my yard working. It's just hard giving new people my time when I don't have enough time for my existing friends and family.

But if you like craft beer, you've got a slight in.

Well, I guess it's because I come from a place where, even if you start as strangers, if you have a conversation for more than five minutes it's perfectly acceptable to say by with a hug.

Maybe I am too affectionate.

YAS

Was it a small town? Because when I visit Eastern Washington the atmosphere out there is completely different than the city. Maybe it's just a small town vs city thing.

My wife is from Omaha, people are super friendly out there. It's way different than us passive aggressive PNWers.

She's been here since 1999, so she's become one of us.

Chichikov

FWIW I never felt it either.
I generally find Seattle people (and PNW om general) to be nice and welcoming.
I lived in quite a few places around the world and I would say that I've found it easier than average to make friends and meet people in Seattle, though being that I'm a sample of one I could just have been lucky.

MC Safety

The Kirkland movie theater is closing. Today's its last full day of showing pictures and tomorrow it's having a special screening of The Last Picture Show.

It's a nice, really weird, theater. The seats, for some reason, all slope upward.

I regret not seeing more movies there.

http://www.kirklandmovies.com/

Stinkles

So Long, and thanks for all the Dicks.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/Dick-s-Drive-In-founder-Dick-Spady-dies-at-92-6753506.php

Founder of Seattle's most famous burger joint passed away at 92. Dude did jack shit with his life, except be a war hero, launch several successful businesses, pay his fast food workers a living wage with benefits, put lots of them through college, sell cheap delicious burgers to drunks, become a city institution, live in a Houseboat like Tom Hanks and raise millions of dollars for charity.

And provide the single best pun for Seattle residents for decades.

Stinkles

I warn people from out of town that Dicks isn't like some In N Out/Shake Shack cult thing. It's a value-driven old-school, damp, greasy burger made with love. The fries are ace. the shakes are good, but when you're drunk, the entire thing is elevated into a Thomas Keller fugue of culinary wonder.

I will say though that a Dick's Deluxe has like, an idealized flavor profile and texture that's like a McDonalds cheeseburger and a big Mac had a high quality baby.

dLMN8R

Very sad. Was he still involved in running the chain at all? I hope someone new doesn't take over and remove benefits and reduce pay.

Trouble

Banned
So Long, and thanks for all the Dicks.

http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/Dick-s-Drive-In-founder-Dick-Spady-dies-at-92-6753506.php

Founder of Seattle's most famous burger joint passed away at 92. Dude did jack shit with his life, except be a war hero, launch several successful businesses, pay his fast food workers a living wage with benefits, put lots of them through college, sell cheap delicious burgers to drunks, become a city institution, live in a Houseboat like Tom Hanks and raise millions of dollars for charity.

And provide the single best pun for Seattle residents for decades.

RIP

He really did amazing things for his employees that are basically unheard of for hourly fast-food work. I hope that tradition continues.

I will say though that a Dick's Deluxe has like, an idealized flavor profile and texture that's like a McDonalds cheeseburger and a big Mac had a high quality baby.

There really is something magic about the Deluxe. I can't imagine ordering anything else. I'll usually skip fries and shake and just get 2 Deluxes.

Trouble

Banned
I still have not eaten at Dick's.

Only had a milkshake there and I was sober at the time

The milkshakes are pretty meh. I feel the same about the fries, but some people seem to really like them (I like crunchy fries). Dick's is really all about the burgers.

If you want an orgasmic burger-joint milkshake, drive south until you find a Burgerville. Get the Cherry Chocolate shake.

I don't like the fries at Dick's, but a chocolate shake and a Dick's Deluxe is awesome.

Anyone been to Cali-Burger on The Ave yet? It's pretty much a bootleg In and Out.

Brakke

Banned
Yeah I can definitely get down with some Dick's when the time is right but it's hard to talk it up to anyone visiting because they always imagine signature local burger chain as some In-n-Out kind of thing but nah this is two bucks to not be hungover.

Stinkles

I'm not a burger fan so the only thing that would draw me to Dick's is their fries and they're just too soggy.

Top-Dick-Tip:

leftover Dick's fries warmed for twenty minutes at 375 degrees in an oven become crispy and delicious.

If we're talking Dick's my go-to order is 3 cheeseburgers, some fries, and a vanilla milkshake. Comes out to $10.42 if I remember correctly.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
Well, I guess it's because I come from a place where, even if you start as strangers, if you have a conversation for more than five minutes it's perfectly acceptable to say by with a hug.

Maybe I am too affectionate.

YAS

Ditto on the conversation bit.

There is no such thing as too affectionate as long as everyone is OK with it. :D

HTupolev

Top Bottom