• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

What a time/place to be a nerd of drinking age. I can walk to Add-A-Ball for pinball/arcade/bubble hockey and drinks and I can walk to Cafe Mox for board games/magic and drinks.

Also I can stay home for for video games, board games, magic, and drinks.

Phthisis

Did some cross country skiing last weekend up at Crystal Springs and did the entire Iron Horse segment from Crystal Springs to Hyak and back (about 15 miles total). That trail is a national treasure, and it was an amazing day out.

12513506_10102238619909615_6785153700868925175_o.jpg

10633327_10102238619904625_4862927892749542077_o.jpg

lawnchair

Banned
Did some cross country skiing last weekend up at Crystal Springs and did the entire Iron Horse segment from Crystal Springs to Hyak and back (about 15 miles total). That trail is a national treasure, and it was an amazing day out.

12513506_10102238619909615_6785153700868925175_o.jpg

10633327_10102238619904625_4862927892749542077_o.jpg

that is fucking gorgeous. wintertime depression usually keeps me in the city during the dark times which is unfortunate. need to get out in the mountains more..

Phthisis

that is fucking gorgeous. wintertime depression usually keeps me in the city during the dark times which is unfortunate. need to get out in the mountains more..

Flying through the trees and next to the lake with no noise except the skis on the snow is absolutely sublime. And the snow was super fast, too. I did the entire run and back in just over 2 hours.

I partied at Central a few times many moons ago.

That smell.. it stays with you.

I was there 2003-2005 getting my Masters of Education in School Psychology. The first year of my program had a counseling component so I ended up having loads of undergraduate clients. They were interesting.

I was either in the Psych building, at my little house (across from the old Albertsons) or The Tav.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Meh, Husky Stadium is still too far away. Will be waiting for the Brooklyn Station to use the trains.

I guess I'd use it to go to the airport, but only for family trips, at which point I'd still need to get a cab TO Husky Stadium and back and it would be a pain in the butt. You win this round, Uber.

I suppose it would be handy if traffic was just effed up and you needed a guaranteed smooth commute. Now, get this thing to the Eastside and we'll talk....

Husky Stadium is just about two miles from my house. I'd be up for walking there on a nice day or having my wife drop me off so I could take light rail to a Mariners or Sounders game.

But man, come 2021 I'll have Roosevelt station just a few blocks away.

jb1234

I don't drive that much anymore but a few days ago, I left at 3:30 pm from Capitol Hill to drive to Renton. It took over an hour. Has traffic really gotten that bad outside of rush hour? It was insanity.

riotous

Banned
The lane closure on 99 initially screwed 99 traffic, but now it's affecting I-5 more as far as I can tell as people are skipping 99 and don't have many other choices. 99 through Seattle wasn't really that bad at all on Wednsday night as I drove frome Greenwood to West Seattle.

I don't drive that much anymore but a few days ago, I left at 3:30 pm from Capitol Hill to drive to Renton. It took over an hour. Has traffic really gotten that bad outside of rush hour? It was insanity.

It's been like this for years and years. Doesn't matter I-5 or 405 or even taking MLK/Rainier to Renton gonna take you that much time unless it's like 3 AM or some stupid shit like that.

riotous

Banned
6AM is pre-rush hour; by about 15 minutes. You can zip through Seattle at that time, but lawd help you if you are running a little late.

I leave on the dot at 6AM every morning and drive from Shoreline to Bellevue (almost Issaquah); I pretty much never have any traffic slowdowns; the express lane entrance at Northgate slows things downs but you can pretty much stay to the right and go around it.

I do the reverse commute (Seattle to Auburn), so my morning drive is never a problem. Coming home can suck once I get to the convention center until my exit (65th/Ravenna).

Phthisis

I guess I'd use it to go to the airport, but only for family trips, at which point I'd still need to get a cab TO Husky Stadium and back and it would be a pain in the butt. You win this round, Uber.

I suppose it would be handy if traffic was just effed up and you needed a guaranteed smooth commute. Now, get this thing to the Eastside and we'll talk....

It will be great when it opens when I'm 80; I won't be able to walk on my own, but I'll still be able to get to Seattle!

mYm|17|

I do the reverse commute (Seattle to Auburn), so my morning drive is never a problem. Coming home can suck once I get to the convention center until my exit (65th/Ravenna).

I can attest to this. I used to do the Ballard to Renton commute in the morning and it's pretty easy if you leave at 7am, if you don't you're pretty much screwed when 45th gets backed the fuck up so bad.

I would take I-5 then take Mercer to 99 to get home which wasn't too bad either. This was when I was leaving work in Renton at 4pm

dubc35

I'm Wedgwood to Georgetown in the morning around 545 (~15-18 min). It's busy but not stopped. It's a little longer on the way home but not too bad. The time helps a ton; huge difference between 530 and 6.

6AM is pre-rush hour; by about 15 minutes. You can zip through Seattle at that time, but lawd help you if you are running a little late.

I leave on the dot at 6AM every morning and drive from Shoreline to Bellevue (almost Issaquah); I pretty much never have any traffic slowdowns; the express lane entrance at Northgate slows things downs but you can pretty much stay to the right and go around it.

I'm up in Shoreline too and yeah if you're running just a tad late its a long commute. And its nuts sometimes because I'll be heading downtown at around 2 or 3 in the afternoon and the backup starts even then.

Ugh, trying to find an apartment is super shitty this time around. The past few times I've looked for a place, I lucked out and went with the first place I checked out and was accepted. This time around, no such luck. First two places were a no-go and the place I was going to look at this morning rented before I could even see it.

Going to look at a place in the Central District today (Cherry Hill neighborhood, ish) but the pictures weren't great and I'm not sure about that neighborhood.

I have a month and 2 weeks before I have to move, so I'm starting to freak out a bit.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Ugh, trying to find an apartment is super shitty this time around. The past few times I've looked for a place, I lucked out and went with the first place I checked out and was accepted. This time around, no such luck. First two places were a no-go and the place I was going to look at this morning rented before I could even see it.

Going to look at a place in the Central District today (Cherry Hill neighborhood, ish) but the pictures weren't great and I'm not sure about that neighborhood.

I have a month and 2 weeks before I have to move, so I'm starting to freak out a bit.

Which neighborhood do you work in? Cherry Hill isn't awful. There's some sketch parts but it's mostly ok.

Badgerst3

Wife and I want to leave so cal for Bellingham in next 5 years.

In an ideal world we will not need to work.

Is this a good idea?

Short version is we love the coastal NW and ready to leave so cal.

Prior trips to downtown Seattle, Orcas Islands, Pender Island and Vancouver have been amazing.

Which neighborhood do you work in? Cherry Hill isn't awful. There's some sketch parts but it's mostly ok.

I'm a full-time graduate student right now, but I'd probably end up working somewhere downtown or in SLU, so it'd be convenient for that. My boyfriend works at U Village and it looks like there's a bus that could take him there, so that's a plus.

I actually used to go to the Swedish facility right there in Cherry Hill fairly often, so I'm somewhat familiar with the neighborhood and the place looks like it's in one of the nice parts. We'll see!

Is this a good idea?

Prior trips to downtown Seattle, Orcas Islands, Pender Island and Vancouver have been amazing.

I haven't been to Bellingham yet (short of driving by it on the way to Vancouver) but everyone I know that lived there absolutely loved it. I've heard nothing but good things about living there.

leroidys

Is this a good idea?

Bellingham is amazing. Go for it.

Actually put down a deposit on the Central District place last night. I'm looking forward to exploring CD - looks like there's some great restaurants/dive bars to check out.

watershed

Banned
Bellingham is a nice small town, very convenient, overwhelmingly white, skews young because of multiple colleges, and has lots of beautiful hikes/nature surrounding it. It's a good place to live.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I don't care how much an umbrella costs, if it isn't vented, then I've got serious doubts over its durability on some of these windy days.

Top Bottom