• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

riotous

Banned
Honestly it's just weird because my parents never used them. Was never really taught to have one. And our rain is lighter than other places (hence why out rainfall totals are less than some other major cities despite our reputation.)

I'm sure some think they are hardcore but I think it's more a weird sort of thing where it rains so consistently you get used to it and don't want to always be carrying an extra thing.

Trouble

Banned
The "REAL SEATTLEITES DON'T USE UMBRELLAS" line is almost exclusively used by transplants in my experience. I know plenty of locals who have no problem using umbrellas. It's just that trying to plan ahead for rain here is a fool's errand.

cdyhybrid

Honestly it's just weird because my parents never used them. Was never really taught to have one. And our rain is lighter than other places (hence why out rainfall totals are less than some other major cities despite our reputation.)

I'm sure some think they are hardcore but I think it's more a weird sort of thing where it rains so consistently you get used to it and don't want to always be carrying an extra thing.

Pretty much. It doesn't really keep my any dryer than my good rain gear, it's an extra thing to carry around, and it would be an extra thing dripping water everywhere when I bring it inside.

Edit: Also the above.

I owned an umbrella onced (was a gift). Left it in the back of my car. One day a friend borrowed it and never saw it again.

That's as far as my umbrella experience goes.

lawnchair

Banned
rarely need an umbrella. yesterday though it poured for duration of the ten minute walk from my bus stop to my apartment. got soaked to the skin. an umbrella would've been nice, but you can't really plan for these things..

dLMN8R

Pretending no one uses umbrellas is definitely a meme I mostly see used by people who haven't lived here very long.

Whatever, I like walking to and from the bus to and from work without wearing a hood or getting soaked when it's pouring outside? Umbrellas are pretty nifty.

watershed

Banned
Born and raised in Seattle, I have mixed feelings about the rain but I have never before heard of the idea that people in the PNW don't use umbrellas until I moved to Bellingham. I still don't know what to make of it. Literally no one I know in Seattle ever talks about using or not using umbrellas.

dLMN8R

Maybe it's "Seattle" people who actually live in the suburbs, drive everywhere, never walk anywhere, and hence never need an umbrella?

I walk miles every day. Whether on the weekdays walking two/from busses, on the weekends walking to markets or between neighborhoods, or otherwise. The only time I don't use an umbrella while in the rain for a long time is if I'm hiking.

I live in Green Lake and walk all over. No umbrella. [shrug]

I don't care if others use them, I just don't think about it. Hell, my wife and daughter use them.

cdyhybrid

I'm usually just walking to/from the bus stop. Only time I'm outside for extended periods of time during the winter is if I'm running, but I don't run when it rains :p

In other news, I was down in Orange County/LA the last couple days. Our traffic is still nothing compared to what I experienced down there. Traffic jams at 9pm on a Wednesday. Traffic jams at 3pm on a Saturday. It's all about equal opportunity traffic jams absolutely everywhere. The sea of red brake lights on every freeway, highway and street flying into LAX was surreal.

dubc35

In other news, I was down in Orange County/LA the last couple days. Our traffic is still nothing compared to what I experienced down there. Traffic jams at 9pm on a Wednesday. Traffic jams at 3pm on a Saturday. It's all about equal opportunity traffic jams absolutely everywhere. The sea of red brake lights on every freeway, highway and street flying into LAX was surreal.
I travel to LA a couple times a year to visit the in laws. Traffic is terrible. It makes Seattle not nearly as bad, also helps Seattle isn't sprawled out as much either.

My wife said people were backing down the wrong way on a freeway on ramp due to bad traffic last time she was there, lol.

I travel to LA a couple times a year to visit the in laws. Traffic is terrible. It makes Seattle not nearly as bad, also helps Seattle isn't sprawled out as much either.

My wife said people were backing down the wrong way on a freeway on ramp due to bad traffic last time she was there, lol.

It took 45 minutes to go about five miles from Venice to El Segundo yesterday for absolutely no reason.

Phthisis

Basically. Anytime someone complains about Seattle traffic I get on my soapbox.

dubc35

Yes, Seattle's is still somewhat predictable. Driving through Beaumont, CA (practically BFE in LA terms) on a Tuesday at 1pm? Gridlock for no reason.

Blunoise

So what's the dating seen like here? Is Seattle freeze real? I'm an outsider so would it be much easier dating girls and finding friends, since I'm not passive aggressive. Also I'm a black male in the tech field who likes interracial dating, just broke up with my gf who was French here in Atlanta. So I want people to be as open as they are there like here in the A

scitek

Hey guys, would anyone be willing to help me move next Sunday? I'll just be going from a downtown apartment to West Seattle, and I can't move a couch, coffee table, and mattress by myself. I'll buy you a $60 game for your trouble! :D Or something else as payment. I'd be eternally grateful.

So what's the dating seen like here? Is Seattle freeze real? I'm an outsider so would it be much easier dating girls and finding friends, since I'm not passive aggressive. Also I'm a black male in the tech field who likes interracial dating, just broke up with my gf who was French here in Atlanta. So I want people to be as open as they are there like here in the A

I'm here from Atlanta, too! One woman I recently spoke to said the dating scene is perceived go be be worse than it really is here because most of the guys that skew the numbers don't really socialize.

I haven't tried my luck yet, though. I've been here just over a month.

Chichikov

I had zero problem making friends and meeting people, both romantically and otherwise.
Never felt the Seattle freeze at all, and I lived in quite a few cities in quite a few continents in my life.

But you know, a sample size of one and all.

lawnchair

Banned
I had zero problem making friends and meeting people, both romantically and otherwise.
Never felt the Seattle freeze at all, and I lived in quite a few cities in quite a few continents in my life.

easy to meet people when you're an international man of mystery!

Blunoise

Hmmm. It's weird how I am getting different answers. Lately I've been thinking how the PNW could be a good fit for my personality

Mossybrew

After moving up to Bellingham from San Diego - damn four years ago now, finally got around to visiting Seattle. Took the kids down for a day trip on Saturday, did the typical touristy stuff like the Waterfront, Great Wheel, Aquarium, Pike Place Market. The amount of construction going on down at the Waterfront was a minor annoyance, and I could not believe how crowded the Market was even in tourist offseason, but other than that we had a great time. Just walking around downtown and the Pioneer Square area was fun. Tons of people out, the city has a great vibe. Also really surprised how vertical the city is, and I don't mean the buildings. Got a good workout climbing stairs or walking steep inclines just to get like one street over. Anyway looking forward to coming back.

After moving up to Bellingham from San Diego - damn four years ago now, finally got around to visiting Seattle. Took the kids down for a day trip on Saturday, did the typical touristy stuff like the Waterfront, Great Wheel, Aquarium, Pike Place Market. The amount of construction going on down at the Waterfront was a minor annoyance, and I could not believe how crowded the Market was even in tourist offseason, but other than that we had a great time. Just walking around downtown and the Pioneer Square area was fun. Tons of people out, the city has a great vibe. Also really surprised how vertical the city is, and I don't mean the buildings. Got a good workout climbing stairs or walking steep inclines just to get like one street over. Anyway looking forward to coming back.

The city was built on a series of hills in between two bodies of water. Not much could be done about it. ;-)

North Seattle across the ship canal is a bit less vertical, but still hilly.

Ophelion

Born and raised in Seattle, I have mixed feelings about the rain but I have never before heard of the idea that people in the PNW don't use umbrellas until I moved to Bellingham. I still don't know what to make of it. Literally no one I know in Seattle ever talks about using or not using umbrellas.

I've lived in Washington somewhere since I was ten years old. Sometimes in Olympia, sometimes in Renton, now in Bothell. I keep a nice bright red umbrella in my bag. I don't take it out for light, misty rain though. There have to be legit drops falling, the sort of rain where if you don't have an umbrella and you have to walk any significant distance, you end up looking like you fell in a pool.

I don't own a car. I walk everywhere. I can't afford not to own an umbrella during serious downpours. Having to towel off in the bathroom when you get to work is a pain in the ass. Downpours that powerful are pretty rare around here though.

The first people I heard who told me PNW people don't use umbrellas were my aunts from San Francisco. They said they'd heard we just throw our hoods up and go. I think maybe Californians and Washingtonians just have a different idea of what it means for it to be raining, lol.

Slept through it, but watched the news coverage this morning while getting ready for work. The footage I've seen is absolutely devastating. Mr. Gyro was recently renovated, too. I'm friends with people at Naked City and Flying Bike, sounds like neither were damaged.

Really curious if I would've heard anything in Green Lake if I was awake when it happened.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit... I have no idea how I missed that. I live fewer than 10 blocks away from where the explosion took place. It wasn't until I got to work and checked Facebook and that I saw the news.

riotous

Banned
My wife told me she heard a boom in the middle of the night; then I saw it on the news. We are in shoreline; wonder if aucustically it had to do with how straight of a shot my back yard is to the end of Greenwood (I can see Central Market from my back deck.)

Top Bottom