• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

cdyhybrid

XrmhkMQ.png

AND we lose an hour of sleep? :(

Hey Seattle GAF...I know it's not Seattle but how is the Stadium District in Tacoma? I will be moving there in the beginning of May or somewhere in the vicinity (if all goes according to plan). Anyone here a transplant from the northeastern US? I've never been to the PNW but it seems I'll be giving up cold snowy winters and hot humid summers for milder rainy winters which I'm totally OK with lol. Also the COL (outside of Seattle proper) is a lot lower. The apartment I'm looking at is half what I pay here in NJ and looks way nicer plus my car insurance will literally be half what I'm paying. Regarding the umbrella talk on the previous page, isn't the rain there more a drizzle? Least that is what I heard. Seems no umbrella would make sense. I'm assuming most people would just wear some sort of waterproof coat? When it is a drizzle here I skip the umbrella. Hate carrying extra stuff.

Stadium area is pretty nice, and you're not very far from North Tacoma. My wife and I have said if we didn't live in Seattle we'd consider North Tacoma.

Stadium area is pretty nice, and you're not very far from North Tacoma. My wife and I have said if we didn't live in Seattle we'd consider North Tacoma.
Yeah I was looking also at a place by point defiance. How is that park? Looks very nice on the YouTube videos I watched. One thing I miss about new England is doing stuff outdoors.

riotous

Banned
Garbage cans were like halfway into our yard when we got back from running erands today. Thought maybe it was the neighbor kids, was about to start yelling at clouds when I noticed a giant branch on the side of my house and realzied it was the wind lol.

That suburban life.

dubc35

Windy here in Wedgwood too. So glad I planted some trees in the last couple months, lol. They're good so far but may need to stake one. I was playing the search around for my garbage can/lid game on Wednesday morning.

Garbage cans were like halfway into our yard when we got back from running erands today. Thought maybe it was the neighbor kids, was about to start yelling at clouds when I noticed a giant branch on the side of my house and realzied it was the wind lol.

That suburban life.

Same stuff happens in the urban life. Woke up a few years ago and a huge chunk of our Catelpa tree had gently rested on our roof. Couple friends came over and we roped up and had fun with chainsaws.

cdyhybrid

New apartment building opened half a block away in the U-District...$1200+ studios and $1500+ "open" one-bedrooms...which are just slightly bigger studios with a wall between the bed and the rest of the apartment :lol

What a joke.

jb1234

New apartment building opened half a block away in the U-District...$1200+ studios and $1500+ "open" one-bedrooms...which are just slightly bigger studios with a wall between the bed and the rest of the apartment :lol

What a joke.

And they'll all be rented out too.

What a joke.

Yeah I'm looking at getting a new place in Wallingford, it's no bay area around here, but it's still pretty insane what you have to pay for a nice 1 bedroom.

dubc35

What a joke.
Glad to see the explosion in property tax passed on to renters. I'll be priced out as a homeowner soon enough.

Last year some developer bought a single family house around the corner from us on Woodlawn and tore it down. Built four townhouses on the land that sold for $700,000+ each immediately. We bought our house for $450k back in 2007, can't imagine what it would go for now. Probably list for mid 6. Don't want to move. Shit is crazy.

What a joke.

Which one?

dubc35

Last year some developer bought a single family house around the corner from us on Woodlawn and tore it down. Built four townhouses on the land that sold for $700,000+ each immediately. We bought our house for $450k back in 2007, can't imagine what it would go for now. Probably list for mid 6. Don't want to move. Shit is crazy.

Which one?
I bought in 2009 for 350k. There are single family houses (box houses) going in behind me (4 on what was 3 lots) starting at 840k. Smh

--

edit,
ha, I lived right by there when I was a sophomore at UW. I lived on 9th in Kelsey Apts, which I think is still there. Our living room had a view of a concrete wall, lol. It was a 3 bdrm 2 bath for $1175, I think. That was in 2000 tho.

edit2, wind gusts seem to be starting in NE Seattle

riotous

Banned
Power hasn't gone out for me; nearly everything around me is out, and my Comcast is out.

But I still have my backup internet!!! Go CenturyLink.

Really wanted to watch Walking Dead.

We had some serious wind gusts in Green Lake, I've never felt my house shake so hard or as much. No downed trees in my neighborhood and never lost power, though.

There was some real craziness out there yesterday. Got stuck in standstill traffic on 405 caused by a fallen tree that was blocking two lanes. Saw a car completely crushed by a tree and there were so many traffic lights out. Not a great weekend to move from Bothell to the Central District, haha.

The new neighborhood is pretty great, though. Has anyone been to Chuck's Hop Shop on E. Union? Any recommendations for other bars/restaurants in that area?

leroidys

There was some real craziness out there yesterday. Got stuck in standstill traffic on 405 caused by a fallen tree that was blocking two lanes. Saw a car completely crushed by a tree and there were so many traffic lights out. Not a great weekend to move from Bothell to the Central District, haha.

The new neighborhood is pretty great, though. Has anyone been to Chuck's Hop Shop on E. Union? Any recommendations for other bars/restaurants in that area?

The neighbor lady (on the same block practically) is pretty good.

riotous

Banned

Go to Chucks in Greenwood a couple times a week; great business in general.. always see a good taplist at the CD location but I've never been.

scitek

So my new job is already starting to get to me, and knowing no one in the city doesn't help lol. Also, after living downtown for 2 months, they were going to jack my rent up to $1820/month, so I moved to West Seattle last weekend where I'm sharing a waterfront condo and paying half that.

I'm making OK money for what I do (TV producer), so I'm determined to stick it out just to benefit myself financially, but the stress I've been under isn't ideal, for sure.

lawnchair

Banned
So my new job is already starting to get to me, and knowing no one in the city doesn't help lol. Also, after living downtown for 2 months, they were going to jack my rent up to $1820/month, so I moved to West Seattle last weekend where I'm sharing a waterfront condo and paying half that.

I'm making OK money for what I do (TV producer), so I'm determined to stick it out just to benefit myself financially, but the stress I've been under isn't ideal, for sure.

maybe the waterfront condo will help

looking at water is supposed to be good for you

riotous

Banned
Waterfront Alki?

You ever visit their run summer? It's like an entirely different place; no shortage of traffic lol.

But hang in there dude; we should do a Seattle GAF meet up at your condo lol. Or Beer Junction; my favorit-ish bottle shop (definitely best tap list on Seattle.)

dLMN8R

Sorry to hear, scitek. How long have you been at that job for?

If you haven't been here for a Summer yet, you're in for a treat. Especially if you live near Alki Beach.

Trouble

Banned

Go to La Rustica and get yourself a serious case of the itis and you'll feel better.

scitek

Sorry to hear, scitek. How long have you been at that job for?

If you haven't been here for a Summer yet, you're in for a treat. Especially if you live near Alki Beach.

I've only been here since January. I was training through February, and only now am I really getting to work, so it's kind of a lot to take on at once. The expectations are very high, so it's just constant pressure. I'm looking forward to the summer, though, especially since I'll have an awesome view of some sunsets on the weekends.

maybe the waterfront condo will help

looking at water is supposed to be good for you

Yeah, that's one of the reasons I ended up choosing to live here. They were demolishing a building next door to my place downtown starting at 7am every day. I get home from work at 11:30pm. It didn't work out.

Waterfront Alki?

You ever visit their run summer? It's like an entirely different place; no shortage of traffic lol.

But hang in there dude; we should do a Seattle GAF meet up at your condo lol. Or Beer Junction; my favorit-ish bottle shop (definitely best tap list on Seattle.)

It's down by Lincoln Park toward the Fauntleroy area. Alki beach already has nowhere to park this time of year, I can only imagine how bad it'll get.

Go to La Rustica and get yourself a serious case of the itis and you'll feel better.

I'm always looking for new places to hit up, so I'll look into it!

Go to Chucks in Greenwood a couple times a week; great business in general.. always see a good taplist at the CD location but I've never been.

I like the Central location way better than the Greenwood one, and I live much closer to Greenwood. Central has a generally much better taplist and new releases stick around longer.

The Neighbor Lady is on my list to check out, looks like a neat neighborhood place. That's awesome about Chuck's - we're only a 10 minute walk from there so I foresee a lot of going there in our future.

It's down by Lincoln Park toward the Fauntleroy area. Alki beach already has nowhere to park this time of year, I can only imagine how bad it'll get.

I'm always looking for new places to hit up, so I'll look into it!

I like Endolyne Joes. And if you're into beer you've got Super Deli Mart nearby.

riotous

Banned
Takeaway from first 2 weeks at a new job: fuck dontown traffic.. took me 20 minutes to get to the freeway on University from 1st. Rididulous traffic cops let every single person out of the parking garages on that road while regular traffic sits through 4 lights without moving an inch. God forbid there's one or two people who don't immediately get out of a parking garage.

Takeaway from first 2 weeks at a new job: fuck dontown traffic.. took me 20 minutes to get to the freeway on University from 1st. Rididulous traffic cops let every single person out of the parking garages on that road while regular traffic sits through 4 lights without moving an inch. God forbid there's one or two people who don't immediately get out of a parking garage.

Take the bus? I know you're in Shoreline, but I can't imagine driving every day to downtown.

Top Bottom