• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

riotous

Banned
Take the bus? I know you're in Shoreline, but I can't imagine driving every day to downtown.

Have to be flexible and randomly go to clients; or the inverse go to clients and be randomly able to get back to the office.

Hopegfully my first client op will be downtown then I can rely on public transportation. But it's looking more likely that I'll be on the east side.

Have to be flexible and randomly go to clients; or the inverse go to clients and be randomly able to get back to the office.

I know how that is. I work at multiple schools and often spend time at more than one during a single day. Public transportation would never work in my profession.

Le-mo

Gaf, I need your help. My girlfriend's and my b-day are next month and we're looking for a cool place to host it. Possibly a place with video games, shows to watch or cool things to do and of course good food and drinks. I've been looking at Can-Can and Le-Faux and we're considering it but most likely won't be going with either one. It doesn't have to be in Seattle.

Brakke

Banned
If you're looking for activity-bars, you might look at Rhein Haus (bocce ball) or The Garage (pool, bowling, also it's a huge space) in Cap Hill. If you wanna go dorkier, you can get a table (or rent a room) at Card Kingdom (Ballard) or Mox Boardinghouse (Bellevue) and play board games.

dubc35

If you're looking for activity-bars, you might look at Rhein Haus (bocce ball) or The Garage (pool, bowling, also it's a huge space) in Cap Hill. If you wanna go dorkier, you can get a table (or rent a room) at Card Kingdom (Ballard) or Mox Boardinghouse (Bellevue) and play board games.

Lunchbox Laboratory would probably fit in with those as well (South Lake Union and Bellevue)

mYm|17|

Gaf, I need your help. My girlfriend's and my b-day are next month and we're looking for a cool place to host it. Possibly a place with video games, shows to watch or cool things to do and of course good food and drinks. I've been looking at Can-Can and Le-Faux and we're considering it but most likely won't be going with either one. It doesn't have to be in Seattle.

Try Art Marble 21, it's a sports bar/restaurant. I've walked past it before in SLU and they got pool table/bocce ball court/other games in there as well. They can accommodate parties.

I've never been there before so can't comment on how good the food is or what they have there.

MC Safety

Bellevue has an arcade/bowling alley combination. It's also right across the way from a bar/comedy club. And it's below a movie theater.

http://www.powerplaybellevue.com/

Brakke

Banned
There's also Game Works down by the convention center; I haven't actually been in there, tho.

Bellevue has an arcade/bowling alley combination. It's also right across the way from a bar/comedy club. And it's below a movie theater.

http://www.powerplaybellevue.com/

Oh yeah I've been here for corporate stuff. It's basically a Dave & Buster's.

Lunchbox Laboratory would probably fit in with those as well (South Lake Union and Bellevue)

That's right, they have some event space upstairs at the SLU location? I haven't been up but there's like E Honda art on the stairs so I wouldn't be surprised if there's some games up there.

dLMN8R

If you want to gamble on good weather, I can highly recommend outdoor laser tag.

I think my wife used Laser Tag Live and coordinated it for me a couple years ago, and was tons of fun. We reserved a campsite at Woodland Park and they took care of the rest.

Though you'd have to find a day where it's not raining, and keep track of how early it would get dark outside....you'd want clear skies and no rain.

Le-mo

Thank you everyone! We've been looking through all the suggestions and we are liking Art Marble 21 a lot. It seems like the perfect place.

Can-Can is pretty fun, but it is tiny, so having a party there would be tough.

cdyhybrid

I hope there's a legit candidate in the next mayoral election that supports municipal fiber.

Or at least allowing for more competition to enter the market.

mYm|17|

Some crazy guy climbed up the tree next to Macy's in downtown. Apparently he's been up there all day too.

GalAQ87.jpg

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Such a ridiculous waste of money and emergency responders' time. They couldn't get this guy out of a tree for over eight hours? Get the fuck outta here.

jfoul

How is northern Seattle? I've been scouting Shoreline, and Lake Forest Park areas for apartments/rentals. My wife and I will be visiting Seattle & Portland for roughly 3 days each. We're flying into Seattle first, then taking the Coast Starlight train to Portland.

riotous

Banned
How is northern Seattle? I've been scouting Shoreline, and Lake Forest Park areas for apartments/rentals. My wife and I will be visiting Seattle & Portland for roughly 3 days each. We're flying into Seattle first, then taking the Coast Starlight train to Portland.

I'm "from" Shoreline / LFP and live in Shoreline now.

I really like the area as far as surrounding relatively affordable suburbs go.

Central Market in Shoreline is a bad ass grocery store to live near; might sound silly but I specifically bought a house within short driving / possible walking distance of that store. It's just really convenient to have a place like that nearby.

There IS major problems with theft and burglary here though; like realllly bad. Theft is literally 19 times the national average, burglary something like 7. And I mean in Shoreline itself:

http://www.city-data.com/crime/crime-Shoreline-Washington.html

But you'll also notice robberies are well under the average... meaning you probably won't get mugged, but you very likely will deal with a car prowl at some point if you live here long enough.

But property crime in general is just terrible in the Seattle area; THE worst in the country (no joke, google it.)

Any Tacoma GAF folks here? I've been living here since August and it is quite wonderful up here. Moved from Texas so its a big change 😊

Any Tacoma GAF folks here? I've been living here since August and it is quite wonderful up here. Moved from Texas so its a big change 😊
*raises hand* Born and raised in Tacoma, though hoping to move closer to Des Moines for College soon enough.

I also tried Dick's for the first time and thought it was just okay, nothing that I couldn't at a similar place down in Tacoma called Frisko Freeze, right near Mary Bridge and Tacoma General. Also didn't like that it was cash only.

cdyhybrid

*raises hand* Born and raised in Tacoma, though hoping to move closer to Des Moines for College soon enough.

I also tried Dick's for the first time and thought it was just okay, nothing that I couldn't at a similar place down in Tacoma called Frisko Freeze, right near Mary Bridge and Tacoma General. Also didn't like that it was cash only.

Did you try it at 130am while drunk?

How's frisko? I always drive by there but never go.

cdyhybrid

I've probably been to Dick's sober 10 times as often as drunk. It's not Jack in the Box or Carl's Jr where it's only good drunk.

I agree actually. It's a decent burger for the price and I like their fries and shakes too.

I just usually only end up there at night.

My daughter and I always go to Dicks after going to the zoo and then take it to Fremont Brewing. Beer for me, free homemade kids soda for her. Good times.

Did you try it at 130am while drunk?
No, but honestly after eating there, I think that is probably the only way to enjoy the food. And to somewhat tolerate the people that kept asking me for money. That place attracts...interesting people, that's for sure.
How's frisko? I always drive by there but never go.
It's pretty good for reasonably priced fast food, Just park and go to the window, avoid using the drive thru.

dLMN8R

Anyone do the 10k across the new 520 bridge this morning? Crazy busy, but tons of fun!

It's amazing how crappy the old bridge looks from the side. Kinda scary that I've ridden across it twice a day every day for the last 5+ years....

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hilariously mesmerizing.

Is that a bear?

Oh shit- looks like he landed on his head/neck. Not so funny.

Bear was 100% fine and returned to the wild.

Seattle Gaf take some pics and post bridge impressions! And ask about the east/west half the bridge not being remotely done yet. I assume they're just using half initially. I wish they'd leave the old bridge open to bikes and pedestrians for a year or two

It would make an amazing floating park a la the ny skyline thing. Presumably the engineering would be much safer with a tiny fraction of the weight and stress.

dLMN8R

The bridge is pretty great. Makes the old one look like utter crap. I'm not going back for the festivities though.

Sea of people:
GHxEaMN.jpg

View of the old bridge from the new:
pHUyPTR.jpg

Top Bottom