• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

mYm|17|

Loving this April weather so far and I know it will come back to regular April weather, but i'll take it. Feels so good to wear sandals and shorts to work

R2D2 is my lord and savior on hot days in my upstairs office.

cIxsKSKl.jpg

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Hello Seattle-GAF!

After a few years of work dicking me around, it seems like I'm actually moving this time. I'm in the midst of apartment hunting, but doing it 3k+ miles away over the internet only gets you so far.

It seems to be coming down to Ballard and West Seattle as the two places I'm eyeing to lease an apartment (at least a year). They both seem reasonably close to downtown, and while still expensive (Ballard in particular), it's at least cheaper than similar places closer to downtown.

Anything I should know before making a decision? Will I find myself drowning in homeless folk in Ballard? Will I hate myself every time I try to get anywhere in traffic from West Seattle? I've tried to do my homework, but any info is good info at this point.

Background:
I've visited often (2-3x / year) in the last few years, but mostly just downtown (i.e. pike place, belltown, cap hill). I've spent less time in Bellevue and U District.

I'm 32, single. For now at least, I work from home, so while I could make do with a single bedroom, I'm thinking at least an apartment with a den, or even a two-bedroom place so I can have a separate office space, would be preferable.

Anyway, any advice would be welcome. Thanks!

jb1234

Traffic here has gotten pretty horrid so no matter your commute, you'll probably be gritting your teeth (especially from West Seattle as the bridge can be wretched during rush hour). Ballard is more urban (and walkable) and West Seattle is more rural so it's up to you what lifestyle you want.

I think you maybe mean suburban rather than rural, but yeah. If you want to walk, bike, or public transport, Ballard is better. Probably better if you want stuff to do, but I hear West Seattle isn't bad either.

dLMN8R

Unless you work in West Seattle I have to imagine it would be difficult to live there. It's *just* that much further away from everything (including awesome hikes), and it means needing to cross the same bridge that everyone else in West Seattle needs to cross to get to society.

You should take a look at the Fremont / Wallingford area too. There are still some very reasonable apartments and they're connected to almost everything else really well - buses will easily get you to the U District, Ballard, Downtown, International District, or even Bellevue. Capitol Hill too, though you may need to transfer. And you'd be a quick bus away from the light rail too.

Additionally in that area, you're an easy walk away from Green Lake, you can easily walk between Fremont and Wallingford, and all while scoring a reasonably-priced place with an excellent Walk Score.

riotous

Banned
Wife had the house at 68 when I got home from strategic window/blind opening and closing and AC units.

Sipping a beer with a blanky on lol.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
Thanks to everyone for the advice. It'd be nice to save money but I think I'd like to at least spend my first year in a more urban area.

I'll definitely hunt a bit more around Fremont/Wallingford though. At first glance, it seems like it might be a good compromise between the Ballard/West Seattle options I was leaning towards.

scitek

Can anyone recommend a good body shop around town? Managed to scratch my door up pretty good tonight because I'm a fucking idiot.

leroidys

Presumably because there's stuff to do in the city.

Yeah I get that. It wasn't a rhetorical question. If there are specific things that s/he has in mind I can be more helpful. Either way, it's way cheaper to live in greenwood or shoreline and bus in if you feel like having a day in the city.

dLMN8R

Thanks to everyone for the advice. It'd be nice to save money but I think I'd like to at least spend my first year in a more urban area.

I'll definitely hunt a bit more around Fremont/Wallingford though. At first glance, it seems like it might be a good compromise between the Ballard/West Seattle options I was leaning towards.

I lived in Capitol Hill for a few years and loved being near so much nightlife and things to do, and now it has a Light Rail stop right in the middle of it. However it's super expensive now.

When I moved from Capitol Hill to where I am now (around 45th and Stone Way - technically in Fremont, but closer to things to do in Wallingford) I was worried I'd be missing out on a ton of stuff I used to do in Capitol Hill. But now I'm happier than ever living here. There's so much to do that I can just walk to, but also easy transportation to most other neighborhoods I want to go to as well.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I lived in Capitol Hill for a few years and loved being near so much nightlife and things to do, and now it has a Light Rail stop right in the middle of it. However it's super expensive now.

When I moved from Capitol Hill to where I am now (around 45th and Stone Way - technically in Fremont, but closer to things to do in Wallingford) I was worried I'd be missing out on a ton of stuff I used to do in Capitol Hill. But now I'm happier than ever living here. There's so much to do that I can just walk to, but also easy transportation to most other neighborhoods I want to go to as well.

Bro. We're neighbors. I'm the Duke of Wallingford. In fact you can regularly find me yelling at people about dog shit on wallyhood.org forums.

Can anyone recommend a good body shop around town? Managed to scratch my door up pretty good tonight because I'm a fucking idiot.

We use a place in Edmonds, they do great work and consistently underbid everywhere in the city.

Larry Taylor
Edmonds Autobody
401 Howell Way
Edmonds WA 98020

Office: 425-771-7109
Cell: 425-772-0357

Think we're going to rent a house at Chelan for a weekend this summer again. Can't wait.

Are you gonna hit Chelanigans for nightlife?

I wish the drive was a bit less brutal, but we sometimes rent a lake house, because that water in August, is gin clear and amazingly refreshing. Cleanest lake I have ever swam in. Almost like a cenote.

cdyhybrid

Bro. We're neighbors. I'm the Duke of Wallingford. In fact you can regularly find me yelling at people about dog shit on wallyhood.org forums.

We use a place in Edmonds, they do great work and consistently underbid everywhere in the city.

Larry Taylor
Edmonds Autobody
401 Howell Way
Edmonds WA 98020

Office: 425-771-7109
Cell: 425-772-0357

Are you gonna hit Chelanigans for nightlife?

I wish the drive was a bit less brutal, but we sometimes rent a lake house, because that water in August, is gin clear and amazingly refreshing. Cleanest lake I have ever swam in. Almost like a cenote.
Not familiar with Chelanigans! We just partied at the house last year. It had an outdoor deck on the second floor, a volleyball net in the front yard, and a hot tub in the back yard.

mYm|17|

Welp, I for one am glad I don't have to drive anymore.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/Viaduct/99closure

WSDOT is closing the Alaskan Way Viaduct for approximately two weeks beginning on April 29 while Bertha, the SR 99 tunneling machine, tunnels beneath the structure. SR 99 will be closed from the south end of the Battery Street Tunnel to Spokane Street. Tunneling is not anticipated to require any closure of Alaskan Way (surface street beneath the viaduct).

riotous

Banned
I-5 is gonna be an even bigger disaster than usual; I know there's been other cases where these heavily advertised closures have ended up lightening traffic (due to more people carpooling or avoiding driving) but I can't imagine that's going to be true for the rush hour commutes in and out of Seattle.

didn't know that was happening. the old location is still in business, right?

oh nice, where will it be located in SLU?

Oh yeah, he's just expanding. Don't know where I'll be working when it opens, I'm currently splitting time between Ba Bar Prime and Seven Beef.

The new shop will be where Shanik used to be, 500 Terry Avenue N. I think its like two blocks from Amazon and like 6 or 7 from Google. Lunch is going to be crazy. I remember hearing that they've devoted a room for just to-go orders.

mYm|17|

Oh yeah, he's just expanding. Don't know where I'll be working when it opens, I'm currently splitting time between Ba Bar Prime and Seven Beef.

The new shop will be where Shanik used to be, 500 Terry Avenue N. I think its like two blocks from Amazon and like 6 or 7 from Google. Lunch is going to be crazy. I remember hearing that they've devoted a room for just to-go orders.

Nice! I live on Bell and 5th, so only a few blocks away. Always been wanting to go to Ba Bar on first hill, but haven't gotten to it.

My company that I work for, Dinerware, provides the restaurant POS software for Seven Beef. I knew I've seen that name before as well.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Nice! I live on Bell and 5th, so only a few blocks away. Always been wanting to go to Ba Bar on first hill, but haven't gotten to it.

We went to Ba Bar for the first time last weekend; came away very underwhelmed given the strong rep, and I felt bad because I knew Nug Nug worked there lol

dubc35

It's kayak season bitches! http://i.imgur.com/1XU7aTy.jpg[/img
I'll be taking sea kayaking lessons this year finally. This weather tho.[/QUOTE]

Lake Union is a great place to kayak. We used to go a lot via the NW outdoor center; good times.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
What did you have? Feedback please.

We had the beef skewers, pork belly + meatball vermicelli, and oxtail pho. Skewers were tasty albeit pretty small as I was expecting strips of beef rather than the ground beef style. My vermicelli was a good amount of food, but very greasy and I don't think I got any of the papaya that was supposed to come with it. Boyfriend's pho was not very hot (woman sitting next to us had the same problem) and in all honesty, wasn't as good as even the dirt cheap pho places all over the city. It was quite busy that night and we had four different people waiting on our section over the course of an hour, so it was difficult to get anyone's attention.

The pastry we took home was really good, though, and I loved the lemongrass soda you guys make!

riotous

Banned
It's a nice change of pace but wish it was cool during the week and nice on the weekend; I've been too tired after work to go out and enjoy the sun.

I can't believe all these new apartments and condos are being build in Seattle lack central air. The last two summers have been straight up scorchers and it looks like we're getting another this year.

Must feel pretty bad to be overpaying on rent and sweating to death inside for 3-4 months.

Top Bottom