• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

I was driving down to Tacoma last night and I5 was down to 1 lane for a while.

The best thing about driving around midnight is that there's hardly any traffic, there shouldn't be bumper to bumper traffic at 1am!

And as for the AC discussion, yeah, it's getting more and more necessary around here. I think it was about 3 years ago and I was living in Bellevue and I think it got over 100 and was going to be in the 90's for a few more days and I went to Sears during my lunch break and bought a small standing AC for like $300, but it was MORE than worth it. They had just gotten a shipment in and since it was the middle of summer people were already taking them right off the pallet. I was lucky to get it!

It's really only good for a single room and it's pretty loud (I'm looking to sell it and get a quieter one from Costco or somewhere), but it's a lifesaver for sleeping at night. I usually just run it for a few hours before I go to bed and Im fine for the night.

My current apartment has AC in the hallways, but not in the rooms. What my girlfriend and I do is open out door, prop a fan facing in, and we get free AC!

scitek

what happened with this
I waited them out at 5 Points. Still pretty uncomfortable driving out of there though.

Curious if there is enough interest for a hike meetup for Seattle GAF.

So many great hikes out here that I haven't done yet that I want to try.

I'd be down. It'd have to be on a Saturday afternoon, though. That's really my only time off between my two jobs.

Trouble

Banned
I waited them out at 5 Points. Still pretty uncomfortable driving out of there though.

How many homeless people got kicked out while you were there? I think I averaged about 2.5 per visit when I used to have coworkers who wanted to go to lunch there all the time.

leroidys

Has anyone here flown out of the Vancouver BC airport before? I just bought tickets last night and an wondering if there's anything in particular I need to know about. I'm kind of nervous thinking about trying to get across the border before a flight, and I thought that it was weird that the Air Canada website didn't ask for our nationalities or anything.

riotous

Banned
First couple days of 99 closure was a nightmare for me leaving work; I work a block from the viaduct, so lots of people previously would use 99 to leave work.

Now every single person is heading East to I-5; it was already bad but the "less known" routes were decent. Now instead of 2-3 minutes to I-5 then sitting in bad traffic it's 10-15 minutes to I-5 then sitting in worse traffic.

But after putting more than a few minutes thought into it I realized I could just go up first and get on 99 North after the viaduct closure... smooth sailing. Actually getting home to Shoreline probably 5-10 minutes faster lol.

riotous

Banned
Yeah for once they underpromissed and overdelivered.

Was running a little late this morning and traffic was still gloriously light.

People had figured out how to get on 99 North by the end of last week too; was a completely clusterfuck near the Bell st. entrance.. ended up going home through Ballard on Friday.

spuckthew

Seattle-GAF!

My girlfriend and I are heading out end of June and we're staying pretty close to downtown. We'll be there for three days on our own before visiting her family in the surrounding areas.

The day we leave Seattle proper coincides with her birthday, and I want to take her somewhere nice for lunch. I don't really care about cost (to some extent), so I am open to all kinds of suggestions. But we're both in our mid-twenties and are into quite trendy places, though I definitely wouldn't say that that's a requirement.

Thanks in advance!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Seattle-GAF!

My girlfriend and I are heading out end of June and we're staying pretty close to downtown. We'll be there for three days on our own before visiting her family in the surrounding areas.

The day we leave Seattle proper coincides with her birthday, and I want to take her somewhere nice for lunch. I don't really care about cost (to some extent), so I am open to all kinds of suggestions. But we're both in our mid-twenties and are into quite trendy places, though I definitely wouldn't say that that's a requirement.

Thanks in advance!

If the weather is nice Westward is gorgeous, on the water and has a spectacular view of the city across lake union.

Has anyone here flown out of the Vancouver BC airport before? I just bought tickets last night and an wondering if there's anything in particular I need to know about. I'm kind of nervous thinking about trying to get across the border before a flight, and I thought that it was weird that the Air Canada website didn't ask for our nationalities or anything.

Are you driving to Vancouver airport from Seattle? That seems crazy but it is otherwise a normal international airport. It's about a half hour from peace arch, and leave plenty of time for border customs. and don't forget your passport. Air Canad don't care bout your nationality.

Stinkles

Only took me 34 years, but I'm finally going to Canlis on Friday.

Look- you will have a GREAT time with a stunning view, good drinks, atmosphere galore but just expect decent food. It's not amazing. And remember gentlemen require a jacket. They have some hilarious ones there if you forget...

Look- you will have a GREAT time with a stunning view, good drinks, atmosphere galore but just expect decent food. It's not amazing. And remember gentlemen require a jacket. They have some hilarious ones there if you forget...

Wearing a suit, not a problem.

Yeah, I've heard conflicting reports on the food. The new chef and his tasting menu is pretty polarizing.

Stinkles

Wearing a suit, not a problem.

Yeah, I've heard conflicting reports on the food. The new chef and his tasting menu is pretty polarizing.

I've been a few times - the bar menu is actually great, but I usually end up defaulting to steak. It feels steak-y. Desserts have always been great tho. There's no BAD food, just surprising how amazing the location and service are, paired with like, B+ food.

Again, I think correct expectations will guarantee a fab experience.

dLMN8R

My favorite fine or fine-ish dining places in Seattle, in order from best to "good, not great":

1) Altura (this wins by a mile)
2) Art of the Table
3) The Herbfarm
4) Canlis
5) Walrus and the Carpenter
6) Tilth

And very different and hard to rank with the others, is the absolutely incredible Harvest Beat. I'm an unabashed carnivore but their purely vegetarian/vegan food is unbelievable in texture, flavor, and variety. And compared to most finer-dining restaurants, it's a really reasonable $50/person for a full 5-course meal.

Their previous restaurant in the same style (a couple blocks down the street in a building scheduled to be demolished) was also great.

We went to Alturra last year with the same group. Fantastic food, nice beer list and everyone else loved the wine pairings.

Too bad it was May Day and the protestors brought on our white guilt.

Phthisis

Hiked Index Town Wall last weekend. Had the trail and summit entirely to myself.

13173098_10102393973464845_5868291037274778517_o.jpg

13131202_10102393974378015_223907203325024037_o.jpg

Stinkles

My favorite fine or fine-ish dining places in Seattle, in order from best to "good, not great":

1) Altura (this wins by a mile)
2) Art of the Table
3) The Herbfarm
4) Canlis
5) Walrus and the Carpenter
6) Tilth

And very different and hard to rank with the others, is the absolutely incredible Harvest Beat. I'm an unabashed carnivore but their purely vegetarian/vegan food is unbelievable in texture, flavor, and variety. And compared to most finer-dining restaurants, it's a really reasonable $50/person for a full 5-course meal.

Their previous restaurant in the same style (a couple blocks down the street in a building scheduled to be demolished) was also great.

Speaking of veggie surprise - JhanJay on 45th is VEGAN thai, but utterly amazing. And I don't even like vegetarian food.

riotous

Banned
Speaking of veggie surprise - JhanJay on 45th is VEGAN thai, but utterly amazing. And I don't even like vegetarian food.

They are Vegetarian not Vegan.

Araya's in U-Distrcit/Madison Valley is the only Vegan thai I know of around here.

They make pretty damn good food; I'm not Vegan but my wife is so I end up eating a lot of Vegan food lol.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
They are Vegetarian not Vegan.

Araya's in U-Distrcit/Madison Valley is the only Vegan thai I know of around here.

They make pretty damn good food; I'm not Vegan but my wife is so I end up eating a lot of Vegan food lol.

Araya's is great. There's also In the Bowl on Cap Hill; they're vegan and vegetarian Thai + generalized Asian. Really, really good, and surprisingly so considering the place doesn't look like much.

Trouble

Banned
Araya's is great. There's also In the Bowl on Cap Hill; they're vegan and vegetarian Thai + generalized Asian. Really, really good, and surprisingly so considering the place doesn't look like much.

I find all their fake meats weird and off-putting. I just get tofu when I go there. Although I'm an omnivore who actually likes tofu on its own merits and eats it pretty regularly even when meat is an option.

P.S. Their fried tofu appetizer is crunk as hell.

Stinkles

Sundance theatre on 9th in the U District is fantastic but the new parking situation is ridiculous. You pay by phone. Not smartphone- regular voice phone.

I just ride my motorbike and park in trader joes, which has free parking and is in the same building, not separated in any way. There's gonna be some ugly towing shenanigans.

Sundance theatre on 9th in the U District is fantastic but the new parking situation is ridiculous. You pay by phone. Not smartphone- regular voice phone.

I just ride my motorbike and park in trader joes, which has free parking and is in the same building, not separated in any way. There's gonna be some ugly towing shenanigans.

We either walk to Sundance or park a few blocks south for free. I haven't seen a pay by voice phone lot for a while.

cdyhybrid

Steve Pool ‏@realstevepool 3m3 minutes ago
Ck this out. The average #Seattle May high through the 12th is 74° -- which is equal to what we should be on July 4th

jb1234

Ck this out. The average #Seattle May high through the 12th is 74° -- which is equal to what we should be on July 4th

That's encouraging. I've actually been enjoying this warmer spring but I know that's going to bite me in the ass when summer comes roasting along.

leroidys

If the weather is nice Westward is gorgeous, on the water and has a spectacular view of the city across lake union.

Are you driving to Vancouver airport from Seattle? That seems crazy but it is otherwise a normal international airport. It's about a half hour from peace arch, and leave plenty of time for border customs. and don't forget your passport. Air Canad don't care bout your nationality.

Thanks! I might try to take the boltbus up the night before after work.

mYm|17|

thank god I get AC in the condo building that I'm currently renting.

It will be a shorts wearing day everyday this summer

Ugh. Maybe I should buy that portable AC. On the plus side, at least it's going to cool off tomorrow and hopefully stay in the 60's for the next few days.

Also, holy shit, grass grows fast in the summer. I have to take care of a yard for the first time since I've moved here and this is insanity. I'm going to be mowing the lawn every week!

Phthisis

Hope I'm dead before the world is thrown into mass chaos from resource/water shortages and extreme weather devastation. The current government movement on solving rising temps has given me little hope we're going to avoid wiping ourselves out as a species over the next couple centuries.

Stinkles

Can someone explain to me why the (current) 520 westbound evening commute is now MUCH worse?

The bottleneck used to be the merge from L. Washington Blvd, then it would ease up a bit, then wide open on the bridge. Now it's the exact OPPOSITE and has a better merge, bus and carpool lane sitch.

At first I thought it was cellphone idiots adjusting. But they usually only take a week to master a simple memory.

Top Bottom