• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

Phthisis

I went to Hilliard's in Ballard tonight. Last Wednesday of every month the UW astronomy department does presentations on various topics from staff and grad students. It was awesome. There were 140 people there tonight!

cdyhybrid

There's one of those near the regrade dog park. I only ever walk past there when I have my dog, who's bad with crowds, so I've never gone in. Worth hitting up?

I suppose? It's not the Met or anything obviously, it's biscuit-related breakfast food - biscuits and gravy, biscuit breakfast sandwiches, etc. I enjoy it. Obviously amazing if you're drunk but I still enjoy it when sober too.

Seattle-GAF! I will potentially be visiting your beautiful city on September 2nd and 3rd to go see my favourite rock band Wilco as they're playing Moore Theatre on both nights. So I'll be driving down from the interior of BC (that's in Canada!). Problem is last time I was in Seattle I was just a wee baby, so I'm not overly familiar with the city.
My biggest concern is finding a decently priced hotel room. I would prefer to stay in the downtown area close to the venue but the prices on Hotwire all seem to be $400 Canadian a night, which is a bit more than I'd like to pay. My geographical Seattle knowledge is basically limited to places with WHL teams... is it worth looking into the surrounding neighbourhoods in the city? I noticed the university area and the Freemont-Ballard area are much cheaper. Are these areas nice? Is there public transit? Is Uber a thing there? Should I just drive to downtown?
Any advice would be appreciated!

Seattle-GAF! I will potentially be visiting your beautiful city on September 2nd and 3rd to go see my favourite rock band Wilco as they're playing Moore Theatre on both nights. So I'll be driving down from the interior of BC (that's in Canada!). Problem is last time I was in Seattle I was just a wee baby, so I'm not overly familiar with the city.
My biggest concern is finding a decently priced hotel room. I would prefer to stay in the downtown area close to the venue but the prices on Hotwire all seem to be $400 Canadian a night, which is a bit more than I'd like to pay. My geographical Seattle knowledge is basically limited to places with WHL teams... is it worth looking into the surrounding neighbourhoods in the city? I noticed the university area and the Freemont-Ballard area are much cheaper. Are these areas nice? Is there public transit? Is Uber a thing there? Should I just drive to downtown?

I would not recommend driving down there. Moore Theatre is near pike place which means a lot of foot traffic and just crowded. I hate driving in that area and I'm a local. I would say you uber. As for your hotel. Basically you nailed it the further away from downtown the cheaper it gets.

As for being in like Ballard/University/ and heading down to Moore that means you're most likely going to need to use public transportation or uber (we talking 15-20 minute drive). I would just recommend uber for less hassle.

dLMN8R

Don't stay downtown. Downtown is boring. Find an Air B&B in Ballard, Capitol Hill, Fremont, etc. and use public transportation to get to the venue.

If you stay in Capitol Hill you'll be able to take light rail to within a ~5-10 minute walk. If you stay in the others a bus ride shouldn't be difficult at all.

I went to Hilliard's in Ballard tonight. Last Wednesday of every month the UW astronomy department does presentations on various topics from staff and grad students. It was awesome. There were 140 people there tonight!

Wish that wasn't on Wednesdays, or I'd go every damn month

Chris R

Don't stay downtown. Downtown is boring. Find an Air B&B in Ballard, Capitol Hill, Fremont, etc. and use public transportation to get to the venue.

If you stay in Capitol Hill you'll be able to take light rail to within a ~5-10 minute walk. If you stay in the others a bus ride shouldn't be difficult at all.

I enjoy staying downtown when I visit :(

I am going the AirBnB route this weekend though, up on Beacon Hill. Shame the weather isn't going to be as good as it has been the other times I've visited the past few years.

cdyhybrid

You can take the light rail into town if you stay in the U District as well, but it might be a 20-30 minute walk (or a bus ride) to the station depending on where you stay.

jb1234

I wouldn't stay downtown, especially if you have a car. The hotels there tend to charge an arm and a leg for a parking space, in addition to their other exorbitant fees. Stay somewhere else and take public transit (light rail, bus or Uber) to the venue.

I would not recommend driving down there. Moore Theatre is near pike place which means a lot of foot traffic and just crowded. I hate driving in that area and I'm a local. I would say you uber. As for your hotel. Basically you nailed it the further away from downtown the cheaper it gets.

As for being in like Ballard/University/ and heading down to Moore that means you're most likely going to need to use public transportation or uber (we talking 15-20 minute drive). I would just recommend uber for less hassle.

Yeah I'm the same way. Driving in downtown Vancouver always stresses me out, and I'm fairly familiar with that city, doing it in a new city is probably a bad idea, especially on vacation.

I wouldn't stay downtown, especially if you have a car. The hotels there tend to charge an arm and a leg for a parking space, in addition to their other exorbitant fees. Stay somewhere else and take public transit (light rail, bus or Uber) to the venue.

You can take the light rail into town if you stay in the U District as well, but it might be a 20-30 minute walk (or a bus ride) to the station depending on where you stay.

That's great advice. I'll stay out of downtown and avoid driving down there. Uber sounds like less hassle, even if it's pricier than bus/trains, so that'll be what I do.
Thanks everyone!

dLMN8R

Take a look at Lyft too. During the week, not weekends, they've been doing a ton of promotions that make fares 40-50% off in their attempt to compete with Uber.

EROAxhD.jpg

Met Chefs Thierry Rautureau and Eric Ripert after work at Ba Bar. Pretty surreal. Me on the far right.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Nice! I believe they were stopping at one of our restaurants, too, but being a bread guy, I never get to be involved in any of the fancy meet-and-greets ;)

I'm deep in it. Already did my burke Gilman pilgrimage and considering agua Verde.

Walked to the farmer's market this morning, already hot but the iced Herkmer coffee helped.

My buddy is a member at the Normandy Park swim club. Heading over there for outside pool hanging out in 80 degree weather.

And since it's a private club you can bring alcohol. Win.

spuckthew

If the weather is nice Westward is gorgeous, on the water and has a spectacular view of the city across lake union.

Thanks man. I've added it to my short list as it does look pretty good.

Wonder if I can get some second and third opinions on some others I've jotted down? The top three, other than Westward, (going by TripAdvisor ratings/reviews) are Altura, RockCreek, and Tilth.

Also I'm totally hoping for some warmer weather. Last year when we came it was sunny and like 85-90 the whole time. Glorious.

Thanks man. I've added it to my short list as it does look pretty good.

Wonder if I can get some second and third opinions on some others I've jotted down? The top three, other than Westward, (going by TripAdvisor ratings/reviews) are Altura, RockCreek, and Tilth.

Also I'm totally hoping for some warmer weather. Last year when we came it was sunny and like 85-90 the whole time. Glorious.

I've been to Altura and Tilth before. I like Tilth, but Altura is fantastic. Altura can get expensive, FYI. I'm also throwing Joule on your list as its my favorite restaurant in the city.

spuckthew

Joule looks really good, thanks for the head's up.

How expensive are we talking with regards to Altura? If it's worth it, maybe I can hint that my girlfriend's parents take us their instead of it being on my dime ;D

Joule looks really good, thanks for the head's up.

How expensive are we talking with regards to Altura? If it's worth it, maybe I can hint that my girlfriend's parents take us their instead of it being on my dime ;D

It was $350-$400 for my wife and I to each do the tasting menu along with a wine flight for her and a 750ml bottle of beer for me.

spuckthew

Ah ok. $350 is around my upper limit (give or take a few bucks), but their regular dinner menu is cheaper so it'll probably be fine.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Walked to the farmer's market this morning, already hot but the iced Herkmer coffee helped.

My buddy is a member at the Normandy Park swim club. Heading over there for outside pool hanging out in 80 degree weather.

And since it's a private club you can bring alcohol. Win.

Nice. There's an amazing actual beautiful Frank Loyd Wright house right around the corner overlooking the sound. Called the Tracy House.

riotous

Banned
North of Market has a lot of relatively cheap pay lots. If you don't want to pay $5 or walk from there it is terrible though. Parking is decent a bit East of the main area as well. It's not that big, just don't drive right into the thick of things and walk a few blocks and it's a much nicer place to visit.

mYm|17|

North of Market has a lot of relatively cheap pay lots. If you don't want to pay $5 or walk from there it is terrible though. Parking is decent a bit East of the main area as well. It's not that big, just don't drive right into the thick of things and walk a few blocks and it's a much nicer place to visit.
I used to live right by market and 15th and there's free parking by Ballard market and east of there in the neighborhood. Then you gotta walk a half mile and you're right in the middle of everything

jediyoshi

Was at Ocean Shores for the kite festival last weekend. Dude infront of us flew his drone for about 15 seconds before accidentally running into a kite line and cutting it. Couldn't have all come together better.

Brakke

Banned
Honestly I don't think I can leave my dog home alone in this heat. Definitely need to move within a month or two, my stupid apartment is impossible to cool.

Honestly I don't think I can leave my dog home alone in this heat. Definitely need to move within a month or two, my stupid apartment is impossible to cool.

It's pretty bad, we have two long haired cats and keep putting ice in their water. Not sure if it actually keeps them cooler or not. If it gets much worse we might have to shave them... They're fairly miserable :/

It's pretty bad, we have two long haired cats and keep putting ice in their water. Not sure if it actually keeps them cooler or not. If it gets much worse we might have to shave them... They're fairly miserable :/

During the infamous summer of multiple 90+ days in a row, we'd form a frozen wash cloth around our cat's midsection. She seemed to like it.

mYm|17|

Wtf is up with traffic the past two days.

Leaving Fremont to get to downtown on the 40 was crazy. Ended up getting off and walking to Dexter to get on the 62 to only get stopped by more traffic getting to downtown :(

Westlake and Mercer causing all the traffic im sure

Wtf is up with traffic the past two days.

Leaving Fremont to get to downtown on the 40 was crazy. Ended up getting off and walking to Dexter to get on the 62 to only get stopped by more traffic getting to downtown :(

Westlake and Mercer causing all the traffic im sure

There was emergency road work on I-5 today, so I'm guessing people were using surface streets. Traffic was horrendous in Interbay today when I went to Holy Mountain.

Kampuchea

Banned
Going to Seattle for the first time ever, my Airbnb host hasn't gotten back to me to confirm my booking, I'll message her again later. I'll be a few blocks from Capitol HIll, any suggestions on must see/do? I've been told I need to have a cream cheese hot dog.

mYm|17|

Going to Seattle for the first time ever, my Airbnb host hasn't gotten back to me to confirm my booking, I'll message her again later. I'll be a few blocks from Capitol HIll, any suggestions on must see/do? I've been told I need to have a cream cheese hot dog.

What you interested in doing while being here? Where exactly you going to be at?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Brunch at the space needle lets you cut the line and have fantastic brunch. Spendy but worthwhile.

If weather good rent kayak at agua verde and tour the houseboats.

Hot dog is gimmick but hey if you're drunk!

Better off with a sandwich from paseo

Kampuchea

Banned
What you interested in doing while being here? Where exactly you going to be at?

I have no idea, I just saw a cheap flight and said why not. Listing says its 4 blocks from the main strip of Capitol Hill and a 4 minute rail to downtown.

Brunch at the space needle lets you cut the line and have fantastic brunch. Spendy but worthwhile.

If weather good rent kayak at agua verde and tour the houseboats.

Hot dog is gimmick but hey if you're drunk!

Better off with a sandwich from paseo

I've been thinking about going to Canon and Fremount Brewery.

mYm|17|

I have no idea, I just saw a cheap flight and said why not. Listing says its 4 blocks from the main strip of Capitol Hill and a 4 minute rail to downtown.

I've been thinking about going to Canon and Fremount Brewery.

Since you are in Fremont, go eat at the Paseo there and it's not too far from Fremont brewery. Check out Golden Gardens and there's a few good breweries in Ballard (Stoup/Ruebens) since you will be close by.

Fremont Troll
SLU has free wooden boat tours on sunday, gotta get there super early
Gas Works Park
Greenlake is a cool area to explore

Top Bottom