• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

The Adder

Banned
So!

5-Years in Jackson Mississippi: No one calls me out of my name once.

2 months in Seattle: Get called a N*****.

So that was fun.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Never really thought much of it, but I had a similar experience of spending 20 years in rural upstate NY with a heavy concentration of "redneck" residents and no incidents, but a couple of years in Seattle and I've had numerous instances where people have called me a faggot: coming out of bars, passing on the sidewalk, driving by in cars, etc. Weird.

cdyhybrid

Never really thought much of it, but I had a similar experience of spending 20 years in rural upstate NY with a heavy concentration of "redneck" residents and no incidents, but a couple of years in Seattle and I've had numerous instances where people have called me a faggot: coming out of bars, passing on the sidewalk, driving by in cars, etc. Weird.

Big cities have a lot of jackasses and fake tough guys, I'm afraid.

That explains a lot, honestly. Seriously unpleasant little section of downtown; I work on the next street down, and walking home after midnight on the weekends is downright unnerving at times.

Probably someone from the burbs causing shit.

Somewhat related, it's always interesting that like 99.9% of all the people involved in shootings and other crimes in Belltown are never from the city.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Tony Wroten's party eh? Interesting. Citrus is kinda shady sometimes but I guess it's fine if you're renting out the whole place like they did.

Yes that was the guys name... I didnt follow Huskies BBall that much this year, so I didnt know much about him. My cousin performed there and said that Tony is cool as hell. He is coming to NY this weekend to chill.

cdyhybrid

Yes that was the guys name... I didnt follow Huskies BBall that much this year, so I didnt know much about him. My cousin performed there and said that Tony is cool as hell. He is coming to NY this weekend to chill.

Dude is a physical specimen but he had no shot of any sort his one year at UW. If he can work on that he'll be legit.

That explains a lot, honestly. Seriously unpleasant little section of downtown; I work on the next street down, and walking home after midnight on the weekends is downright unnerving at times.

Shit it doesn't even have to be after midnight for that area to be sketchy. I used to catch the bus in the tunnel there every day when working downtown. Always walked through those couple blocks on high alert.

jb1234

Shit it doesn't even have to be after midnight for that area to be sketchy. I used to catch the bus in the tunnel there every day when working downtown. Always walked through those couple blocks on high alert.

I used to feel relatively safe walking around downtown at night in 1999, early 2000s. Not so much anymore. In comparison, North Capitol Hill used to be incredibly shady but now has gentrified to the point where it's hardly recognizable.

Is anyone else less worried about Thursday and Friday's mid-90s weather and more about Saturday's less warm but significantly more humid weather? I can handle dry heat but that sticky shit sends me into a frenzy.

Is anyone else less worried about Thursday and Friday's mid-90s weather and more about Saturday's less warm but significantly more humid weather? I can handle dry heat but that sticky shit sends me into a frenzy.

I'm not worried. We've got an AC unit for upstairs, and we can always hang out in the basement if it gets too hot.

Spent the night at a campground up near Mt. Rainier last night. Absolutely gorgeous. I hadn't been out there in years and boy did I pick the perfect time to do so. Here are a couple pictures from the day:
photo_R01.jpg

photo_R02.jpg

photor03.jpg

Was on 3rd & Pike, actually.
The block of 3rd AVE between Pine & Pike is notoriously bad, just so you know.

Meowmers

Neo Member
Great vegetarian/vegan Indian food at Travelers on Capital Hill. Love their food and I am definitely not a vegetarian.

Their chai is awesome too with a nice little kick (though would like it more with a pinch less sugar).

It's worth mentioning that Travelers on Pine has closed.

Do check out the Travelers Thali House in Beacon Hill instead. Couple of miles south of the previous location. Same folks, same great vegetarian fare.

Walked with the kiddo to U-Village today through Ravenna/Cowen Park.

Also known as "the park with the loose python!" There were signs all over warning people about the 7 ft long snake on the loose.

Maybe a slight danger to reaaaaaallly young kids, and I wouldn't play take a chihuahua to that park if I had one, but yeah, it's in more danger from being loose than anything else in the area is endangered by its looseness.

The park itself is a series of trails in a secluded forest area right off of 65th. Perfect for a snake to hide out in.

brettreyu

Our reward for watching Felix pitch a perfect game, the unbearable heat wave and then muggiest weather of the year.

Save us Felix!

GatorBait

Seattle-GAF: I'm coming to your city for a business trip next week. Technically, I'll be in staying in Renton, but I'll be going into the city and surrounding areas for business. Any recommendations for excellent restaurants, both where I'm staying and within the city?

jb1234

Seattle-GAF: I'm coming to your city for a business trip next week. Technically, I'll be in staying in Renton, but I'll be going into the city and surrounding areas for business. Any recommendations for excellent restaurants, both where I'm staying and within the city?

It depends on what you're in the mood. Most of the "classier" joints are in downtown Seattle and Belltown. There's a lot of solid foreign food eateries in Capitol Hill. I don't eat out much so I don't have any solid recommendations. I will say that you're not likely to find much in Renton. Also be wary because it's not the safest location (especially downtown).

soco

Yup totally depends on what you like and what you're in the mood for.

One of the best restaurants in Seattle is Sutra in Wallingford, but it's a dinner club style where they have one or two seatings per evening. it's like 33-35$ for a four course veggie (vegan) meal that's well above most of the food in Seattle. Make a reservation it's tiny.

Mashiko for sushi in West Seattle.

On capitol hill try Tavern Law, Cascina Spinasse, Poppy, In the Bowl, Dinette, Smith, or Quinns. Tavern Law has good mixed drinks and a good burger. Smith and Quinns are both like slightly nicer pubs and both have good food, though I skew more towards Smith.

Paseo for a good cuban sandwich. head for the ballard location as its in a cooler area and is usually not as busy.

jb1234

This has to be one of the most miserable mornings I've had here in a while. My apartment is a furnace and because I left the windows open, it's infested with mosquitoes. They've been buzzing around me incessantly, biting and keeping me awake. GRRRR.

I'm not sure there's a good restaurant in Renton itself. Newcastle is closer than Seattle probably to you, especially traffic wise, and there's a little hole in the wall called Yea's Wok that has some of the best Chinese food in town.. rivals the Chinatown places in DT Seattle.

But if you are looking for a more "in the city" experience you'll not want to be in or around Renton.

http://seattle.citysearch.com/profile/10763362/newcastle_wa/yeas_wok.html

Other than that.. Seattle is a restaurant town.. but many of the good places are embedded in neighborhoods with really busy on-street parking, etc. They aren't TOO friendly to people unfamiliar with the area because of that. Unless you are just willing to bring some extra cash to park in a lot.

Chichikov

I wouldn't know about Renton dinning, but Seattle has plenty of great restaurants.
What's your price range and food preference?

dLMN8R

I wouldn't want to live in Renton, but the new shopping area The Landing is actually nicely built-up. Lots of good restaurants there:

http://www.thelandinginrenton.com/dining/

http://www.thelandinginrenton.com/map/

taphouse ruined their fish tacos.

Tap House can't even get their beer taps right. Anything less than mainstream is stale as hell in my experience, and their food isn't that great either. I'm surprised they previously had food that wasn't ruined.

I applied for a job with the IRS. It's a contact representative position. If I get the job, I'll use it as a stepping stone and transfer to another agency or job within the IRS. I hear it can be a stressful job, but anway......

Both jobs I applied for Seattle and Portland. I'm hoping I get Seattle. Would be nice to experience the different seasons for once since I live in shitty Florida. :)

I applied for a job with the IRS. It's a contact representative position. If I get the job, I'll use it as a stepping stone and transfer to another agency or job within the IRS. I hear it can be a stressful job, but anway......

Both jobs I applied for Seattle and Portland. I'm hoping I get Seattle. Would be nice to experience the different seasons for once since I live in shitty Florida. :)

We don't really have seasons here. It's ten months of gray and drizzle and then a weird combination of spring/summer for the other two months.

We don't really have seasons here. It's ten months of gray and drizzle and then a weird combination of spring/summer for the other two months.

As someone who once lived on the Texas coast I'd rather be soaking wet 24/7 than boiling in the humidity. I went home for xmas last year and it was like a humid summer day. Gross.

jb1234

Eastern Washington has four seasons. In Seattle, it's more like two. On the bright side, we don't have the terrible humidity that plagues Florida summers.

Strange summary of the areas climate.

I think some of you are exaggerating. We get a pretty distinct fall.. a distinct winter characterized by much cooler temperatures and higher winds..

Maybe spring and winter meld together oddly.. but other than that.. it's fairly seasonal here.

Two questions for you Seattle experts.

1) My wife and I are looking at retiring in/around Seattle, admittedly a little over a decade from now. My son would be starting high school at that point. Are the schools in that area generally good or bad? Or is it like almost everywhere else where it's hit-or-miss depending on where you are.

2) Is the rain THAT bad? I've read up and it seems like you get less rain overall than most places on the east coast, just it comes down at a much slower pace over a larger time period. Are the stories of people feeling depressed or trapped indoors legit? To put it in perspective, we live in west Texas right now and it's basically 100 every day out here. I HATE hot, dry weather.

Two questions for you Seattle experts.

1) My wife and I are looking at retiring in/around Seattle, admittedly a little over a decade from now. My son would be starting high school at that point. Are the schools in that area generally good or bad? Or is it like almost everywhere else where it's hit-or-miss depending on where you are.

2) Is the rain THAT bad? I've read up and it seems like you get less rain overall than most places on the east coast, just it comes down at a much slower pace over a larger time period. Are the stories of people feeling depressed or trapped indoors legit? To put it in perspective, we live in west Texas right now and it's basically 100 every day out here. I HATE hot, dry weather.

1) I graduated from high school years ago so I can't comment on what the current status of our public school system is in. I was lucky in that I attended schools in the North end of Seattle and from my experience they were nice. I've heard some sour opinions about the south end.

2) The rain isn't that bad. Its mostly exaggerated, its as you've described. Lots of overcast or cloudy days, with light drizzle. But summers in Seattle are really beautiful. Coming from Texas, I think you'll enjoy it here.

Top Bottom