• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

dekjo

Good night hanging out on my patio in Greenlake.

40caa0d203089550b3886dc880872792_320x320.jpg
64d7e41d2b5625efa167475540799e2f_320x320.jpg

Pliny the Elder! Hear they're great, but never had one - always heard they were hard to get, so never really bothered looking. Where do you get yours? And what's the other brew? I don't recognize it.

cdyhybrid

2) Is the rain THAT bad? I've read up and it seems like you get less rain overall than most places on the east coast, just it comes down at a much slower pace over a larger time period. Are the stories of people feeling depressed or trapped indoors legit? To put it in perspective, we live in west Texas right now and it's basically 100 every day out here. I HATE hot, dry weather.

It's not as bad as people think - the bad part is the sun (rather, the lack of it). You can go weeks on end without seeing the sun during winter.

Pliny the Elder! Hear they're great, but never had one - always heard they were hard to get, so never really bothered looking. Where do you get yours? And what's the other brew? I don't recognize it.

Pliny is easy to get. It's on tap very regularly somewhere in the city all the time, and the bottles are here every 5 weeks like clockwork at bottle shops, bigger QFCs and Whole Foods. $5 a bottle to boot.

The other bottle is Oakshire's (Eugene, OR) Line Dry Rye, a Rye Pale Ale brewed with honey. Very nice on a hot Summer's day.

jb1234

Bless you both. Wondering how my wife would handle the gray. Sounds really appealing to me for some reason.

That's basically what it is. Lots of clouds, a fair amount of drizzle. We rarely get actual rain storms. I would take a trip out here in the winter before deciding to move. Not just for the weather but to see if you like the actual vibe of the city. It can be hard to make good personal connections here but that sounds like less of an issue for you if you're retiring.

That's basically what it is. Lots of clouds, a fair amount of drizzle. We rarely get actual rain storms. I would take a trip out here in the winter before deciding to move. Not just for the weather but to see if you like the actual vibe of the city. It can be hard to make good personal connections here but that sounds like less of an issue for you if you're retiring.

We visited last October and loved it. Of course we had freakishly good luck with the weather. It was sunny 7/10 days we were there. I doubt that is normal.

Seattle was a blast. My wife and I want to be near mountains and green. The only question mark remains the whole rain issue.

cdyhybrid

We visited last October and loved it. Of course we had freakishly good luck with the weather. It was sunny 7/10 days we were there. I doubt that is normal.

Seattle was a blast. My wife and I want to be near mountains and green. The only question mark remains the whole rain issue.
This is the place for mountains and green.

dekjo

Pliny is easy to get. It's on tap very regularly somewhere in the city all the time, and the bottles are here every 5 weeks like clockwork at bottle shops, bigger QFCs and Whole Foods. $5 a bottle to boot.

The other bottle is Oakshire's (Eugene, OR) Line Dry Rye, a Rye Pale Ale brewed with honey. Very nice on a hot Summer's day.

I'll have to keep an eye out for it. Have some old friends coming into town in a few weeks and it'd be nice to treat them to some Pliny.

Badgerst3

This with my wife and I in about 10 years. We live in so cal. Tired to people, traffic and doom and gloom state economy.

Next month we are going to Seattle for a week for our 10 year wedding anniversary.

Gonna scope retirement/new home areas. Ideas?

dubc35

This with my wife and I in about 10 years. We live in so cal. Tired to people, traffic and doom and gloom state economy.

Next month we are going to Seattle for a week for our 10 year wedding anniversary.

Gonna scope retirement/new home areas. Ideas?

Welcome! There are a bunch of great ideas for things to do in this thread. As far as home searching, what are you looking for? Condo, house, apt? Live in the city, downtown, burbs? Obviously price will come into it but that's a more personal question.

The good and bad of the weekend for me: finished house painting on Friday, basement corner flooded due to clogged sewer main on Friday night, d'oh! $640 later and we're back running! ugh, lol.

The good and bad of the weekend for me: finished house painting on Friday, basement corner flooded due to clogged sewer main on Friday night, d'oh! $640 later and we're back running! ugh, lol.

We've had some basement drainage issues in the past. Found out that our waste lines hook up with the neighbors at some point before reaching the sewer. Plumber found some tampons and a bunch of sanitary wipes clogging the lines. We probably paid $450 due to issues our renter neighbors caused. Awesome.

Badgerst3

Welcome! There are a bunch of great ideas for things to do in this thread. As far as home searching, what are you looking for? Condo, house, apt? Live in the city, downtown, burbs? Obviously price will come into it but that's a more personal question.

Nice welcome. Thx. We live in carlsbad, ca which is a northern san Diego beach community suburb, so likely something along that line. Don't need to be particularly close to downtown.

Ideal spot would be a small house or condo with yard. Not right on top of your neighbor if possible. Maybe water views of some sort, even if from afar. And trees. After 20 years of palms, I am ready for some pines. And rain is fine. Are there areas near mt Olympia like this? And how far is that from downtown?

We will both have retired from state service at that point with a daughter in college, if that gives ideas for pricing. Maybe just an idea of areas to drive and checkout when we come next month. We will have a rental car.

cdyhybrid

Good:

Getting trashed and dancing in Ballard last night.

Bad:

This morning.

What ISP is everyone using and how much are you paying? I'm moving out to Seattle next month (from Mukilteo) and I need to figure out the whole internet situation soon.

jb1234

I'm on Comcast for cable and it's outrageously expensive. Worse yet, they keep RAISING it, something they can get away with because they have a monopoly. I think there's slower DSL options but I haven't explored them.

soco

Cable-wise it depends upon where you are in the city and what company wired the building or some shit. I can't even get comcast here and am stuck with the shittier cable company and it's like 65$/month for internet alone.

if speed isn't a huge issue, there are some wireless providers.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I managed to get Comcast to give me two years of their basic cable internet for $20/mo, but it shot up to $70 after that. I recently upgraded to their faster tier of service and got a modest decrease in my monthly charge for six months, and after that I'll probably try to work out another "deal" with my internet captors.

Other services keep dropping flyers in my mail, but none of them are available at this apartment. Shit sucks, yo.

bachikarn

Sounds likely but we're going to school, lol

By the way I find it hilarious when people in this thread complain about hot weather.

Trust me, it's bad. I'm from Florida too, but there isn't AC. So it's not as bad if you are out, but if you are stuck in the apartment, it's terrible.

GrizzNKev

Banned
After some time in the Seattle area, it'll happen to you too, especially with our lack of air conditioning here. Just wait. ;) Where are you going to school?

Digipen for engineering and audio design.

Eh, it gets pretty humid, and most of us don't have AC, so the rare times it gets to 90+, yeah it fucking sucks.

Hopefully Florida's heat and humidity have gotten me used to it. I'm more worried about the cold. I've never lived outside of South Florida.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Nice welcome. Thx. We live in carlsbad, ca which is a northern san Diego beach community suburb, so likely something along that line. Don't need to be particularly close to downtown.

Ideal spot would be a small house or condo with yard. Not right on top of your neighbor if possible. Maybe water views of some sort, even if from afar. And trees. After 20 years of palms, I am ready for some pines. And rain is fine. Are there areas near mt Olympia like this? And how far is that from downtown?

We will both have retired from state service at that point with a daughter in college, if that gives ideas for pricing. Maybe just an idea of areas to drive and checkout when we come next month. We will have a rental car.
All areas near Mount Olympia have rain and pines. That's kind of far south and boring but if you're retiring then it might be cool. But it's nowhere near Seattle. Ballard is tho and you can get a place ON the water for 700k. There are also lakes to consider if you don't need salt water. Washington, Union are expensive, there are smaller more obscure lakes that would be cheaper. Edmonds is a bit farther north and is quaint but pricey.

Sarcasm

Also helps if you can get a wind current going through your pad. Its what I have to do over here since I have no AC and it gets well over 100F and always 75% humidity.

Keikaku

Bless you both. Wondering how my wife would handle the gray. Sounds really appealing to me for some reason.
I have a really hard time with the grayness of the area. I'm from San Jose, California and the weather here is depressing. It has really sucked this summer and the last since we only had about a month of Summer.

It is great when the weather is good but the weather is rarely good. It's mostly gray.

dubc35

My birthday is in November, so yeah! It fell on Thanksgiving last year too! Nothing like a huge stufffed bird for my birthday every couple years.

dLMN8R

Great seafood places near the Washington State Convention Center...go! :p

HaloGaf is doing a meet-up and we need recommendations.

You're in Seattle. It's hard to find seafood places that aren't great :p

If you want to walk around 10-15 minutes, SeaStar is one of my favorite seafood restaurants around:

2121 Terry Ave Ste 108, Seattle, WA

http://seastarrestaurant.com/Seattle

It's also in a different area than most people at PAX will go to, so it should be easier to get a table. Go with a reservation though. It's somewhat pricey, but not excessive, and they have a great mixture of Raw Bar and cooked entrees for the squeemish. Go with the Ahi Poke for an appetizer.

AEREC

After 5 months of job searching in the Seattle area (moving from Georgia), I finally found and landed a great job in Redmond.

I'll be living in Seattle (greenlake specifically) and commuting to Redmond. Anyone have any ideas on how bad the commute will be? According to google maps it seems I can ride my bike to the bus stop which crosses the 520 and then take the b-line to near Redmond and bike the rest of the way.

It's historically a horrible commute.

Very hard to predict too.

But they are currently attempting to help that commute with the 520 replacement project. That highway you are seeing on google maps to get across the lake is being replaced, and right now it's a toll bridge (which has lightened traffic actually.)

Hard to say what difference will be made.

I lived near Greenlake and had to commute to Redmond often for projects. I could randomly one morning leave at 6:30 AM and be in Redmond by 6:50.. next day I'd be running 5 minutes late, and leave at 6:35 AM, and wouldn't get to Redmond until after 7:30. Aggravating.

Top Bottom