• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

AEREC

It's historically a horrible commute.

Very hard to predict too.

But they are currently attempting to help that commute with the 520 replacement project. That highway you are seeing on google maps to get across the lake is being replaced, and right now it's a toll bridge (which has lightened traffic actually.)

Hard to say what difference will be made.

I lived near Greenlake and had to commute to Redmond often for projects. I could randomly one morning leave at 6:30 AM and be in Redmond by 6:50.. next day I'd be running 5 minutes late, and leave at 6:35 AM, and wouldn't get to Redmond until after 7:30. Aggravating.

Thanks for the heads up...I've got a week and a half of living in Seattle before my job starts, I think I'll just have to get in a few practice runs until then. The only other option would be to take the Burke Gilman all the way to Redmond but that's 23 miles and would probably take twice as long...or I could just straight up drive (no idea how long that would take with traffic), but I'll be getting a free orca pass with work and would rather save on gas money.

dLMN8R

Redmond and not a Microsoftie? :p

The commute across 520 isn't too bad going from Seattle to Redmond in the morning, if you're taking the bus. If you're driving, it's not that bad either, but it's expensive with the tolls now ($3.58 or so each way at peak times)

In the evening, going from Redmond to Seattle, it's fucking horrible no matter what you do.

Also, since you're in Green Lake, I-90 is evil at all times of day, no matter if it's a weekend or weekday. I don't get how that road is always so terrible, but it is.

So...yeah, if you can work it out, the bus system is probably your best shot.

Also, I know a bunch of people who simply bike the entire way to Redmond from the Green Lake or U-District area - the Burke Gilman trail is almost entirely flat and easy to rid the entire way, and connects with other similar trails that should take you all the way to Redmond.

jb1234

Traffic has gotten a little better on 520 with the tolls but it's still no walk in the park. Definitely take the bus if it's a viable option (less stress and a money saver). I've never tried Seattle to Redmond in the morning, just in the evening and it's pretty dreadful.

Yeah keep in mind my comments are more historically. I've heard with the tolls 520 is significantly better, which just makes sense.. but of course, monies.

So long term I'd say it's unpredictable for you.. depends on what happens with the 520 project.

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Projects/SR520Bridge/timeline.htm

I-90 is evil at all times of day, no matter if it's a weekend or weekday.

And this also has to do with the 520 project.

Historically I-90 was the much better highway.

In my experience at least. (used to live in Factoria, worked in downtown Seattle.)

AEREC

Also, I know a bunch of people who simply bike the entire way to Redmond from the Green Lake or U-District area - the Burke Gilman trail is almost entirely flat and easy to rid the entire way, and connects with other similar trails that should take you all the way to Redmond.

I will test that route out as well...hopefully it won't take more than 1 1/2 hours.

I do the reverse I-5 to 18 commute. Drive from my house in Greenlake to work in Auburn. Most days it takes me 30 minutes to get to work (leave around 6:30am), and 40 minutes to get home (head home around 2:45pm).

I'll be living in Seattle (greenlake specifically)

Hey there, neighbor. Where at in Greenlake?

cdyhybrid

I commute to Issaquah from the U-District. I-90 is alright in the morning, about a half hour commute, leave between 8:20 and 8:30. It's really I-5 that is awful, although it's alright in the morning. I leave work at 5 and it pretty much always takes me at least an hour to get back. Again, I-5 is the real problem. It's usually stop and go by the time I get near there and it's backing up I-90 all the way to Mercer Island.

There's always backup getting onto 405 but I stay far away from that because I never need to take 405. Mercer looked like a mess this morning when I drove by. Seattle drivers are bad enough without having to adjust to a one-way street that's now two ways.

jb1234

And this also has to do with the 520 project.

Historically I-90 was the much better highway.

In my experience at least. (used to live in Factoria, worked in downtown Seattle.)

Yeah, it was. People are just going around now and they haven't figured out that given the time it takes and the extra gas spent, it costs just as much money to do that as it would to just pay the damned toll.

I went back to work today after a 2 week vacation. Spent about 3 days in Seattle for the first time.

Stayed at Hotel Five on 5th. Walked to Capitol Hill, Pike Place Market, South Queen Anne and the International District. Took cabs to Freemont and Ballard.

Capitol Hill was cool. Ate at Oddfellows, Quinn's and The Saint. Had drinks at a few other places. My GF did Yoga at the Bikram studio while I checked out the record stores. Platinum Records sucked (and I listen to electronic music pretty much exclusively) but Everyday Music, Sonic Boom and Wall Of Sound were decent.

Ballard was also pretty nice...I could see myself living there if I did move to Seattle. Far enough away from downtown but still close enough, plus a good mix of old and new buildings and some decent shopping.

I was also impressed with how cool Pike Place Market was considering how every city's food market thing is usually pretty samey and unimpressive...really cool layout and vibe.

Freemont was super disappointing other than the Troll/Lenin statue. We did have an awesome brunch at Roxy's though.

International district was a complete shithole with literally zero redeeming factors (Pinball Museum was closed when we walked by). Worst "chinatown" I've ever been to and I've seen alot of them.

I don't really understand the appeal of South Queen Anne either. Really sleepy with nothing of note other than some tacky theatres and Easy Street Records. Silver Platters was total crap.

Enjoyed it all in all. It's like an uglier Vancouver with an actual soul/culture.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I commute from North Seattle to Bellevue every day in a car. I-5 is as unpredictable as always, but I-520 is still damn near empty whenever I take it (usually around 8:30am - 10:30 am in the mornings and after 7:00pm at night). Rush hour is still bananas from the few times I've commuted during that time.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I don't really understand the appeal of South Queen Anne either. Really sleepy with nothing of note other than some tacky theatres and Easy Street Records. Silver Platters was total crap.

Guess it depends on what you want out of a neighborhood. The quiet, unexciting nature of lower Queen Anne is why I live here; even my record store preference is the reverse of yours, heh. For me, it's the perfect location because I don't have the headaches or high costs of downtown and the trendier neighborhoods, but practically everything the city offers is within walking distance or a quick bus ride if I've got to cross one of the bridges.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
It's historically a horrible commute.

Very hard to predict too.

But they are currently attempting to help that commute with the 520 replacement project. That highway you are seeing on google maps to get across the lake is being replaced, and right now it's a toll bridge (which has lightened traffic actually.)

Hard to say what difference will be made.

I lived near Greenlake and had to commute to Redmond often for projects. I could randomly one morning leave at 6:30 AM and be in Redmond by 6:50.. next day I'd be running 5 minutes late, and leave at 6:35 AM, and wouldn't get to Redmond until after 7:30. Aggravating.

If they make 520 into a real highway...wow... so much time of my younger life wasted on that thing

MjFrancis

International district was a complete shithole with literally zero redeeming factors (Pinball Museum was closed when we walked by). Worst "chinatown" I've ever been to and I've seen alot of them.
This is a common observation. Federal Way's Koreatown is mammoth by comparison, and comparing the International District to San Francisco's Chinatown just wouldn't be right to begin with.

Raguel

Hey guys. I'll be in seattle this weekend from fri to monday visiting my sister. Not going to pax unfortunately. =( But i was wondering what are the best seafood restaurants? I love seattle and have been to ivars and such but i want to know what you guys recommend. My girlfriend wants to eat fresh seafood everyday we are here (she's from malaysia and she misses fresh seafood being stuck in the midwest) so i really want her to enjoy her time in seattle. Give me all your favs! And hopefully, i might join in the seattle meet up. It'll be awesome

blurrygil

LOCAL GAF:

I'm putting together the meet-up info now. I got swamped with work and travel these past weeks and I failed miserably in making time to create the thread. Same place and info as last year. Hope to see at least some of you there.

Raguel

ALSO! Whats the best korean bbq in seattle? So korean bbq and seafood restaurants. Please seattle gaf, i need your halp.

LOCAL GAF:

I'm putting together the meet-up info now. I got swamped with work and travel these past weeks and I failed miserably in making time to create the thread. Same place and info as last year. Hope to see at least some of you there.

Did you see in the PAX thread that one is planned for 10p Saturday at Taphouse? I will attend multiple meetups if you still want to make one!

blurrygil

Did you see in the PAX thread that one is planned for 10p Saturday at Taphouse? I will attend multiple meetups if you still want to make one!

Yes, I've seen the info in THIS thread. Just not a new one. I edited my last post about how I was a dumbass and was going to assist by creating a new thread just to keep that information separate. I plan on making the Sat 10p one and that really should be the only one (again, krae is amazing and should run for SeattleGAF mayor).

So yeah, I jumped the gun since I was chatting with Adam of GBX late last night and he said he couldn't find anything on the meet.

blurrygil

I get back from San Antonio really late tonight, about 11p. If anyone is down for a drink or a quick hello, I don't think I need to bother on sleeping...

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
Well it's that time of year. The blackberries are out in full force:

HNI_0024.jpg

HNI_0025.jpg

HNI_0027.jpg

this is in the parking lot at work. I always pick a few when I'm leaving for the day.

Tons of non-sprayed blackberries around me in Greenlake/Roosevelt/Ravenna. I've picked enough for the wife to make three pies in the past month.

I love pie.

AEREC

Hey guys. I'll be in seattle this weekend from fri to monday visiting my sister. Not going to pax unfortunately. =( But i was wondering what are the best seafood restaurants? I love seattle and have been to ivars and such but i want to know what you guys recommend. My girlfriend wants to eat fresh seafood everyday we are here (she's from malaysia and she misses fresh seafood being stuck in the midwest) so i really want her to enjoy her time in seattle. Give me all your favs! And hopefully, i might join in the seattle meet up. It'll be awesome

I'm not real familiar with seafood places in Seattle as I am currently in the process of moving there, but when I visit me and my wife always just eat at Chinooks (not totally sure of the location).

Primetime21

Neo Member
Hey Seattle-GAF need some advice. With a group of 10-12 college students and we are here for the weekend. Going to bumbershoot Sat and Sunday but wondering of there is anything going on today that would be good for entertaining a diverse group of college kids. Not all of us are 21 and some have seen the tourist favorites some have not.

Direct us to fun and opportunity!!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
ALSO! Whats the best korean bbq in seattle? So korean bbq and seafood restaurants. Please seattle gaf, i need your halp.

Drive North on Aurora/99 - once you get past Lowes you're going to start seeing good Korean places. THOUSANDS OF THEM.

If you're on the Eastside I like Blue Ginger, which is poorly named and sounds like a Thai place, but is decent Korean with a fairly noob-friendly vibe.

Top Bottom