• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone in this thread not know a ton of people that regularly smoke pot either recreationally or for medical reasons? I haven't smoke the stuff for well over a decade now, but growing up in Seattle, it seems like everyone either smoked it or had a brother or sister who did. I'm wondering if it was just the crowd I was a part of.

cdyhybrid

Does anyone in this thread not know a ton of people that regularly smoke pot either recreationally or for medical reasons? I haven't smoke the stuff for well over a decade now, but growing up in Seattle, it seems like everyone either smoked it or had a brother or sister who did. I'm wondering if it was just the crowd I was a part of.

I know a ton of people, but I'm from Hawaii originally and hang out with a ton of people from Hawaii :p

I'm sure it's pretty common.

I've got some friends who smoked pot in the past, but no one currently does anymore. We're home brewers and really into craft beer, so that's our vice.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I've got some friends who smoked pot in the past, but no one currently does anymore. We're home brewers and really into craft beer, so that's our vice.

Yeah, I only tried it a couple of times when I was younger, but I never got into the stuff.

I do notice that my friends and friends of friends tend to give it up as they grow older even if they smoked frequently in the past.

I wonder if that would change were it made legal.

zerotol

Banned

I used to hang out in Westlake a lot when I was a teenager. People would smoke weed constantly on those benches across from the mall. Nobody seemed to care.

Izayoi

Banned
Almost everyone I know, including most of the people I work with, do. Hell, I'm condo-sitting right now and I've already met three people around me who do in the past week. I'm mad jealous of everyone in Kirkland, by the way. It's fucking awesome here, I wish I had the money to move.

Sorry if I shit on this thread a bit with negativity.. just didn't appreciate being called "heinous" for attempting to discuss that law.

-------------

The North end of Seattle and into Shoreline sure has been murder city lately... and in general the amount of sirens I'm hearing seems to have increased a LOT.

Sorry if I shit on this thread a bit with negativity.. just didn't appreciate being called "heinous" for attempting to discuss that law.

-------------

The North end of Seattle and into Shoreline sure has been murder city lately... and in general the amount of sirens I'm hearing seems to have increased a LOT.

The Yancy Noll shooting was a few blocks from my house, and then there was the stabbing at the Scarlet Tree, which I can see down the street from my front yard.

May be taking a job in Seattle next month if all goes well. I've visited plenty of times before but never paid much attention to crime/schools/apartments. These things are now important!

Job is downtown, so what's a good neighborhood with easy access via bus or bicycle that has decent elementary schools and reasonable (~1000 for a 2b) rents?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
May be taking a job in Seattle next month if all goes well. I've visited plenty of times before but never paid much attention to crime/schools/apartments. These things are now important!

Job is downtown, so what's a good neighborhood with easy access via bus or bicycle that has decent elementary schools and reasonable (~1000 for a 2b) rents?

The parenthetical will be your undoing. Maybe Magnolia.

jb1234

The parenthetical will be your undoing. Maybe Magnolia.

Is Magnolia that cheap these days? Always seemed like an upscale neighborhood to me whenever I visited.

Either way, at least in the central Seattle area (Capitol Hill), rents have been steadily getting higher the last few years. $1200 for a one-bedroom is not uncommon. And if you want a relatively easy carless commute, you'll have to live in central Seattle.

If you don't mind taking buses, there's the lake forest park/bothell/kenmore/woodinville areas. They're pretty cheap and all are close to the 522, which is a straight shot to downtown. Takes maybe 20-40 minutes depending on where you start and traffic conditions.

dLMN8R

$1000 for a 2-bed is going to be very difficult in downtown. Even on the east side it would be difficult to find if you want a decent area.

I've been a homeowner for 5 years now, so I have no clue what currents rents are like in the city, but I'm guessing you won't find much in that range. Crown Hill maybe?

$1000 for a 2-bed is going to be very difficult in downtown. Even on the east side it would be difficult to find if you want a decent area.

I'm paying $1200 for a two-bedroom townhome in West Seattle. The problem is, living in West Seattle is only tolerable if you never have to leave West Seattle. The West Seattle Bridge is a nightmare to deal with most of the time.

The older apartment buildings in Eastlake, like on Minor on the West side of Eastlake or Franklin on the East side (basically under the freeway) have some decent rents, and it's a fairly easy bike ride downtown.

I don't know about $1,000 for a 2 bedroom though.

And IMO, it's not the greatest hood to live in.. lots of homeless people prowling cars, no real grocery store to speak of, etc.

Also, KPLU finished their pledge drive last Thursday, while KUOW is still doing theirs. TWO WEEK PLEDGE DRIVES TWICE A YEAR MAKE ME ANGRY.

And yes, I donate to KUOW, KPLU and KEXP.

Also, KPLU finished their pledge drive last Thursday, while KUOW is still doing theirs. TWO WEEK PLEDGE DRIVES TWICE A YEAR MAKE ME ANGRY.

And yes, I donate to KUOW, KPLU and KEXP.

The wife and I were pretty close to going for the gold or platinum or whatever shiny metal it is donation to KEXP, but decided that the year we're having our first child is probably not the year to go for it.

jb1234

I'm paying $1200 for a two-bedroom townhome in West Seattle. The problem is, living in West Seattle is only tolerable if you never have to leave West Seattle. The West Seattle Bridge is a nightmare to deal with most of the time.

If you're on the southern end, there's always E. Marginal Way. But yeah, if you live closer to Alki, you're supremely fucked. I have friends who live in West Seattle and driving across the bridge during rush hour was one of the worst driving experiences of my life.

Le-mo

Seattle-gaf! Is there a place that sells burger with the cheese inside of them instead of on top. Currently watching Burger Paradise on the Travel Channel and am totally craving one right now.

soco

i don't know one.

i made some like that once, and have occasionally mixed cheese in with the meet, but it's not really much of a difference than just tossing it on top.

sausages on the other hand are a totally different issue. The german sausage place down in the market sells spicy-cheesey sausages similar to a kaesekrainer i used to get in austria, and those things are fucking delicious.

coldvein

Banned
Seattle-gaf! Is there a place that sells burger with the cheese inside of them instead of on top. Currently watching Burger Paradise on the Travel Channel and am totally craving one right now.

not that i know of ... and i know of some burger places. but maybe?

Don't know of one either but if you're looking for a good burger in Seattle, go to Uneeda on Fremont or 8oz Burger over on Capitol Hill; especially the latter.

If you're on the southern end, there's always E. Marginal Way. But yeah, if you live closer to Alki, you're supremely fucked. I have friends who live in West Seattle and driving across the bridge during rush hour was one of the worst driving experiences of my life.

My commute is from West Seattle to Kirkland. So that means I get to deal with West Seattle bridge traffic, I-5 traffic, 90 traffic, then 405 traffic. And then 520 on the way home, which is only marginally better. It's the worst. I have to be out of the house by 7 to have an outside chance at a non-miserable drive.

First time I've seen this thread!

Anyway, what's up?! Rain is coming down soon... I think this weekend. Sucks that the sun goes away as I'm having my 25th birthday celebration this weekend.

Anyone ever been to Rock Box at Capitol Hill? Looks like a chill spot to karaoke with friends and family. That's where I'm having my party this Friday night :)

coldvein

Banned
Anyone ever been to Rock Box at Capitol Hill? Looks like a chill spot to karaoke with friends and family. That's where I'm having my party this Friday night :)

yes. i've been a few times, thought it was fun. never payed for one of the rooms myself though so i can't speak to the prices. last time i was there i was in of the rooms that has windows directly on the street, and i was fascinated by the fact that there's a switch to instantly make the windows see through or opaque. i entertained myself with that for a good while. i was not sober.

Yeah.. no thanks..

All of those crazy food deals come with a huge caveat.. but I guess it makes sense.. if a $1.00 sandwich excites you then maybe you have the time to spare to wait in a 1 hour+ line.

MjFrancis

My commute is from West Seattle to Kirkland. So that means I get to deal with West Seattle bridge traffic, I-5 traffic, 90 traffic, then 405 traffic. And then 520 on the way home, which is only marginally better. It's the worst. I have to be out of the house by 7 to have an outside chance at a non-miserable drive.
What does your commute time look like? If I can avoid going South on 405 I always do. I usually find myself going through 167 and 18 but the traffic on 405 is just an entirely different beast. Makes everything else serene and easy by comparison.

Top Bottom