• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

What does your commute time look like? If I can avoid going South on 405 I always do. I usually find myself going through 167 and 18 but the traffic on 405 is just an entirely different beast. Makes everything else serene and easy by comparison.

My morning commute, if I get out of the house by 7, is a half-hour, going from near White Center to Totem Lake. In the evening, if I'm out of the office by 4:30 ish, going 520, to I-5, is about 45 minutes, I-5 is always shitty. Going 520 is much better in the evenings-the traffic is ligher, because nobody wants to pay the toll.

Ixian

Regarding the shorter days, I use f.lux, which adjusts your monitor settings based on the time of day, and it always amuses me when it starts kicking in before I leave work.

Can't say I mind the shorter days too much though, it means I get to see some beautiful sunsets (I work on the waterfront) and I enjoy walking through the city at night.

I saw my first "No on 74" commercial this morning. Went on about civil marriages being good enough, marriage for men and women only, persecution of Christians, and some slogan that was basically (but not really) "we don't hate gays, but we do hate gays."

Do any of you remember Off The Wall in the U district? Such a crazy shop.

Yeah I enjoyed checking that place out.

I think they were done in by a group of employees that started working there that were shady. The "if you pay cash I'll give you a discount *wink wink*" types.

I lived in a house with 5 dudes near the time they were shut down.. and just that house alone had near ~$1,000 worth of glass from Off the Wall sold "under the table".. I can't imagine a business like that could sustain such losses.

I used to frequent The Ave a great deal as a kid in the late 80s/early 90s. Tons of awesome video arcades that have been gone for a long time now. When I was a student at the UW, I remember a professor of mine going on about how horrible Arnolds was... I had fond memories of playing Moon Patrol there!

I now live about a mile from The Ave, so my wife and I go to dinner around there pretty regularly. College kids are funny. They were funny before I was one, when I was one and still are now.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I saw my first "No on 74" commercial this morning. Went on about civil marriages being good enough, marriage for men and women only, persecution of Christians, and some slogan that was basically (but not really) "we don't hate gays, but we do hate gays."
loooolz, I saw that one too and was like, "REALLY??" I was just waiting to see when/if they'd be bold enough to make a counter commercial for 74. It's also annoying that the lady voicing the commercial sounds so damn condescending. The best is when they show a bunch of people on the screen and say that these people could be prosecuted, fined, or jailed for being against it... You mean for being bigots and breaking laws of discrimination? Yeah I see no problem there.

Yeah I've taken a stroll up and down The Ave a few times a year since the 80's myself too. (born in 78, my Dad actually was the head of purchasing at the UW book store for a while so he took us down there a lot)

Watched it change in different ways.. seediness level gone up and down.. percentage of shops that were local or eclectic gone up and now WAYYY down, etc.

Still a place to visit for me from time to time.

loooolz, I saw that one too and was like, "REALLY??" I was just waiting to see when/if they'd be bold enough to make a counter commercial for 74. It's also annoying that the lady voicing the commercial sounds so damn condescending. The best is when they show a bunch of people on the screen and say that these people could be prosecuted, fined, or jailed for being against it... You mean for being bigots and breaking laws of discrimination? Yeah I see no problem there.

The No on 74 groups have purchased $1.5 million worth of TV time that just started yesterday. Get ready for lots of hatred, scare tactics and lies.

Yeah I've taken a stroll up and down The Ave a few times a year since the 80's myself too. (born in 78, my Dad actually was the head of purchasing at the UW book store for a while so he took us down there a lot)

Watched it change in different ways.. seediness level gone up and down.. percentage of shops that were local or eclectic gone up and now WAYYY down, etc.

Still a place to visit for me from time to time.

As sad as I am over the Neptune no longer being a movie theater, I do like the fact that there is a concert venue within walking distance of my house. Going to see Sufjan Stevens there in December.

soco

The No on 74 groups have purchased $1.5 million worth of TV time that just started yesterday. Get ready for lots of hatred, scare tactics and lies.

As sad as I am over the Neptune no longer being a movie theater, I do like the fact that there is a concert venue within walking distance of my house. Going to see Sufjan Stevens there in December.

we were talking about that yesterday. rumor has it they're cutting their losses and focusing on repeal already. Supposedly they realize they're getting fundraised by like 6-to-1 and largely focusing on repealing it. dunno how true it is, but a guy i volunteer with said he saw a repeal R74 ad already.

we were talking about that yesterday. rumor has it they're cutting their losses and focusing on repeal already. Supposedly they realize they're getting fundraised by like 6-to-1 and largely focusing on repealing it. dunno how true it is, but a guy i volunteer with said he saw a repeal R74 ad already.

Repeal? Huh? These ads are specifically about voting "no" on R74 in next month's election. Waiting as long as they did is a strategic move on their part to barrage people right before the ballots are mailed out with "oh noes your kids are gonna learn about gay sex in school" commercials.

I think their best bet would have been to keep it REALLY simple.

"Vote No on 74, A Referendum that was proposed by Conservative Christians."

Maybe confuse people into voting "Reject", thinking they are "Rejecting" what was proposed by Conservative Christians.

I do wonder if that's why their signs say "No on 74" as opposed to using the language actually on the ballot (Accept / Reject)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I used to frequent The Ave a great deal as a kid in the late 80s/early 90s. Tons of awesome video arcades that have been gone for a long time now. When I was a student at the UW, I remember a professor of mine going on about how horrible Arnolds was... I had fond memories of playing Moon Patrol there!

I now live about a mile from The Ave, so my wife and I go to dinner around there pretty regularly. College kids are funny. They were funny before I was one, when I was one and still are now.

I used to hang out at the Wizards of the Coast game center back when I was in middle school. Probably wasn't a good area for a middle school kid to frequent. Fond memories, though! I still like to go to the Ave area every once in a while. I'll usually hit up Bratz, which is a totally legit German sausage and schnitzel place.

Someone has decided to mess with the school district I work for. My office windows at one of the high schools I work at didn't get shot out, but the ones right next to mine did.

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Dozens-of-school-windows-broken-in-Auburn-174400741.html

I used to hang out at the Wizards of the Coast game center back when I was in middle school. Probably wasn't a good area for a middle school kid to frequent. Fond memories, though! I still like to go to the Ave area every once in a while. I'll usually hit up Bratz, which is a totally legit German sausage and schnitzel place.

I had friends who worked at the WotC Game Center on The Ave while in college. Their Battletech simulators were awesome.

After WotC shut down, it became a Tower Records, and then when Tower went out of business, it became (and still is) an Urban Outfitters.

There was PC Gaming Internet/LAN center across from Wizards that I used to go to.

Existed mostly for Counterstrike. Was around in 2000-2001 time frame. I liked that place.

I remember when they built that Wizards place.. I didn't think it was sustainable.. was way too elaborate, and not nearly popular enough.

I think they were going to try and do that, but the pro-gay marriage camp has done a really good job at defining what approve and reject mean for this referendum.
I think they learned their lesson after the confusion/disaster that was "Yes on Prop 8" back in CA, 2008. IIRC exit polls showed that a not insignificant number of people who voted "yes" thought they were voting "yes" for same-sex marriage rights.

I am really looking forward to this election. If all goes well, I'll be getting married this year!

Really need to read up on the marijuana law though. Seems like a no-brainer but I don't like making uninformed, gut instinct votes.

Really need to read up on the marijuana law though. Seems like a no-brainer but I don't like making uninformed, gut instinct votes.

My biggest issue with the bill is I wonder if much of it will do nothing to dissuade pot users from using the black market.

In particular I think:

- Growers required to submit fingerprints to the FBI
- Forced 3 tiered structure with 25% tax at every tier, adding up to AT LEAST 75% taxation (that's on top of the 8-10% sales tax for retail)

Will keep the current "growers" in the black market, and the medicinal market.

It's also pretty weak "legalization" IMO.. you can buy up to an ounce from a licensed dealer.. can't share that pot with anyone else without comitting a felony.. and it's still a felony to have 40 grams of pot.. to grow your own.. or to do pretty much anything but by pot and sit in the corner smoking it by yourself.

It's also supported by gung-ho drug war types who think pot smokers are the despicable lesser evil that we can use to fund the drug war, people who use propaganda about "Cartels" to justify legalization, which is complete BS because the vast majority of pot bought and consumed in Seattle is local.

I'm leaning towards a Yes vote though.. some early mis-information had me believing it would remove the existing legal dispensaries or change laws for "card holders."

But it doesn't.. people like myself can still legally grow, possess more than an ounce, etc.

So I am curious about it... IF they can actually create a market that competes price/quality wise I think the bill can be a success.

If we end up with shitty way over-priced weed in a market full of pot smokers who have had little trouble acquiring VERY high quality pot at decent prices for decades?

I think it will be a failure.. the black market will continue to thrive...

But maybe even with 75%+ taxation they can compete with the black market.. I just can't see how anyone will do that without massive scale production.. which equates to a dramatic loss in quality to the black market product around here.

I went to Wizards of the Coast a handful of times, mostly just to buy Pokemon/MLB Showdown cards, and to occasionally sneak on to games I wasn't normally allowed to play.

I spent the entirety of my youth at Funplex instead. What a fantastic place.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Wizards of the Coast Game Center was awesome for a nerdy kid growing up back then. Not only did you have a massive downstairs area with tons of people to trade and play all manner of trading card games, role playing games, board games, miniature games, etc. but you also had the movie viewing area with comfy couches, the big-screen TV on which to play 4-player N64 games, and the huge PC LAN center with all of the latest games. This was the first place I ever saw a Voodoo 3D accelerator in action with the original Quake. It's the first place I ever played massive LAN games of Quake, Quake CTF, Warcraft II, C&C, Diablo, and many other awesome PC games.

Then there was the arcade upstairs where I spent way too much money playing Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter and other fighting games. Great memories of that place.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
that place sounds dope.. wish there were more places like that around!

Yeah, I'd probably still go sometimes if it were still open.

The attractiveness of the PC LAN center probably was unique to that era, though. Nowadays most people have a capable computer with broadband Internet in the home (and so few games support LAN play anyway).

coldvein

Banned
gamma ray games just opened some kind of lounge on cap hill where you can drink and play card/board games etc..i'd be all over it if i played card/boardgames at all. :\

Yeah, there's a place like that in Ballard as well. The name escapes me at the moment, but it's super popular. In some cases you actually have to reserve board games ahead of time lol.

Seattle Funplex was awesome. I had my 11th birthday party there.
Same. It was the ultimate birthday party spot. Anytime a friend had their party at Funplex, you knew it was going to be good.

Yeah, there's a place like that in Ballard as well. The name escapes me at the moment, but it's super popular. In some cases you actually have to reserve board games ahead of time lol.

Cafe Mox is the bar part of Card Kingdom, the store. It's fucking fantastic. I'm probably stopping in there tonight actually.

zerotol

Banned
Yeah I enjoyed checking that place out.

I think they were done in by a group of employees that started working there that were shady. The "if you pay cash I'll give you a discount *wink wink*" types.

I lived in a house with 5 dudes near the time they were shut down.. and just that house alone had near ~$1,000 worth of glass from Off the Wall sold "under the table".. I can't imagine a business like that could sustain such losses.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's exactly what happened to it. A few employees went in to the shop in the middle of the night and stole a whole bunch of merchandise . In fact, I still have a Zippo that one of them gave me from that night.

Cafe Mox is the bar part of Card Kingdom, the store. It's fucking fantastic. I'm probably stopping in there tonight actually.
Ah, that would make sense. I've been by there in the evenings and seen a decent amount of people outside. Didn't think they were all there for Card Kingdom, but it makes sense now.

I've been meaning to check it out. Need to do that soon.

Ugh, finally saw those Reject R74 ads you guys are talking about.

"You can be a bigot without being a bigot."

Another ad is supposedly coming that basically insinuates that 74 will force teachers to teach little kids about gay sex.*

*74 does nothing even close to that.

jb1234

The statement against R74 in the voter's pamphlet is pretty sad. They try to pull the "kids need a mommy and daddy" card first and then, perhaps realizing that argument isn't convincing, bring God into it.

Haven't decided what to do with 502 yet. I'm not thrilled with the way it is written.

Chichikov

Haven't decided what to do with 502 yet. I'm not thrilled with the way it is written.
It's not perfect, but it's a huge improvement over the current situation.
Also, looking at the bigger picture, the war on drugs is going to be killed from the state level, I think that much is obvious, it's high time we get that ball rolling.

And while we're on the subject of ballot measures, here's my take -

NO on Initiative 1185 - it's a measure that require a supermajority or a referendum to raise taxes, but since you can cut them with a simple majority, well, look at California and see how well that approach works. Also, fuck Tim Eyman.

NO on Initiative 1240 - because fuck charter schools. The last thing our crumbling education system needs is privatization and profit motives.

NO on SJR 8221 - yet another bullshit measure designed to shackle spending. Hey fucknuts, you want smaller government, elect smaller government officials instead of trying to scare voters with horror stories of credit ratings and such.

coldvein

Banned
It's not perfect, but it's a huge improvement over the current situation.
Also, looking at the bigger picture, the war on drugs is going to be killed from the state level, I think that much is obvious, it's high time we get that ball rolling.

And while we're on the subject of ballot measures, here's my take -

NO on Initiative 1185 - it's a measure that require a supermajority or a referendum to raise taxes, but since you can cut them with a simple majority, well, look at California and see how well that approach works. Also, fuck Tim Eyman.

NO on Initiative 1240 - because fuck charter schools. The last thing our crumbling education system needs is privatization and profit motives.

NO on SJR 8221 - yet another bullshit measure designed to shackle spending. Hey fucknuts, you want smaller government, elect smaller government officials instead of trying to scare voters with horror stories of credit ratings and such.

i agree with all of this. got my ballot yesterday. lets do this..

Vote no on charter schools.

Yes, yes, I'm biased. I'm a school psychologist for a local public school district. But still...

1. The state has been found to be constitutionally underfunding public schools, so why should we divert even more money from them to charters?
2. Even though the commercials say charters are for everyone, including those currently struggling, that's kinda of bullshit. Charters don't necessarily have to work with students with severe developmental disabilities, or those who are behaviorally challenged. They can just say "we can't meet their needs in our building" and then "partner" with the nearby regular public school, where the student will ultimately go.
3. There are just as many studies showing that charters are less effective as there are studies saying they're better.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, charter schools sounds like nothing but a bad idea to me.

Still not sure what to do about 502. I've know a few people who have the "green card" and grow at home and they seem strongly opposed to it.

Evlar

Banned
Definitely voting no on the charter schools initiative. The advantages to them seem minuscule next to the potential problems.

Top Bottom