• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

Izayoi

Banned
On a different note, haven't been following too much, but met up with Noel Frame yesterday and she made a mention about it. . . While r-74 does look like its gonna win, i-1240 is looking to pass too D:
Too much money behind it, unfortunately. I think it was inevitable, especially with some democrats supporting.

As long as 74 and 502 pass, and 1185 goes down in flames, I'll be (mostly) happy. Charters will take a lot of money initially, but if they really can do some good, I'm all for it. We're sensible enough here that I'd like to think we can reform or repeal if need be.

kiryogi

Banned
You don't want 1240 to pass?

Nope. Although, my view is that it would take away from public schools and we don't need something else privatized. But I'm also in support of unions.

Finally we already have choice schools which are basically the same thing.

Too much money behind it, unfortunately. I think it was inevitable, especially with some democrats supporting.

As long as 74 and 502 pass, and 1185 goes down in flames, I'll be (mostly) happy. Charters will take a lot of money initially, but if they really can do some good, I'm all for it. We're sensible enough here that I'd like to think we can reform or repeal if need be.

Yeah, a depressing fact like i-1183 last year.

Izayoi

Banned
You don't want 1240 to pass?
I debated with myself for a long time and came to the conclusion that the money would be better spent furthering public schools now as opposed to making a bet on charters that may or may not work. We've got a lot of problems with our public schools, and I think addressing at least some of those issues with the cash that's going to be allocated for 1240 is the more pertinent course of action.

If it passes, I won't be too heartbroken. It's possible that charters will be the boost that the state needed, and if it works, that's fantastic. I just think that we should be focusing on what we have now first and foremost.

PhantomR

Banned
I like 1240 because the schools remain publicly funded and cannot be used for any political/religious affiliations. Publicly funded charter schools I feel better diversify education options for kids, and also provides competition for existing school districts to step their game up. Areas like Seattle, Tacoma, Kent, and Renton where the schools are not up to par are going to need to step their game up. I'm okay with that.

Izayoi

Banned
I like 1240 because the schools remain publicly funded and cannot be used for any political/religious affiliations. Publicly funded charter schools I feel better diversify education options for kids, and also provides competition for existing school districts to step their game up. Areas like Seattle, Tacoma, Kent, and Renton where the schools are not up to par are going to need to step their game up. I'm okay with that.
I respect your opinion, and I do not think you're wrong. I'm very split on the issue as it is. Honestly, the polls are on your side. Maybe we'll be able to better fund public schools with all of that money 502 will start saving/bringing in!

PhantomR

Banned
I respect your opinion, and I do not think you're wrong. I'm very split on the issue as it is. Honestly, the polls are on your side. Maybe we'll be able to better fund public schools with all of that money 502 will start saving/bringing in!

Woot!! That's what I'm talkin about :)

And it'll be easier to get the funds we need for our schools without 1185 mucking things up.

I hope the state rejects 1240. Privatizing education with the use of public money undercuts existing public schools and widens the funding gap in lower social economic districts. It will disproportionally affect children of color.

So SeattleGAF, what is the economy like up there, is there such thing as manufacturing in the Seattle neighborhood? I want so badly to just pack up and move my family there, I've never been, but have seriously dreamed of living there since I was about 20.

I make around 40 - 60k a year now, where I live, and would like to stay in that ball park of course. I only have a two year degree, but I have some pretty substantial manufacturing experience. (I work for a huge brand, Unilever, and I've been involved in pilot lines, engineering meetings, training and the like, I've went from a grade 2 to grade 5 in the < than 5 years I've been there)... Just curious if there would be anything for me there? I want to go back and get my masters in tech management (was electrical engineering but I found it too boring).

Seattle is beautiful from the pictures and videos I've seen, and even the outskirts seem amazing. Should I even try? Is it a low crime, good place to raise a 4 year old?

Thanks.

Chichikov

So SeattleGAF, what is the economy like up there, is there such thing as manufacturing in the Seattle neighborhood? I want so badly to just pack up and move my family there, I've never been, but have seriously dreamed of living there since I was about 20.

I make around 40 - 60k a year now, where I live, and would like to stay in that ball park of course. I only have a two year degree, but I have some pretty substantial manufacturing experience. (I work for a huge brand, Unilever, and I've been involved in pilot lines, engineering meetings, training and the like, I've went from a grade 2 to grade 5 in the < than 5 years I've been there)... Just curious if there would be anything for me there? I want to go back and get my masters in tech management (was electrical engineering but I found it too boring).

Seattle is beautiful from the pictures and videos I've seen, and even the outskirts seem amazing. Should I even try? Is it a low crime, good place to raise a 4 year old?

Thanks.
I can speak mostly of the high tech industry, and it's absolutely booming.
It was ranked best in the country by numerous studies and I think I read somewhere that there are now more opening here than in the Bay Area (though I can't source it at the moment).

And I would certainly try, it's still quite affordable and very safe for a city of that size.

Shouta

I hope the state rejects 1240. Privatizing education with the use of public money undercuts existing public schools and widens the funding gap in lower social economic districts. It will disproportionally affect children of color.

Very much agreed. We should be focusing on bettering the existing public schools rather than funneling money away. Though, recent scandals haven't been particularly helpful on changing public perception in that regard. Still, charter schools are a pretty bad idea.

Charter schools have not been successful, have not improved quality of education, and have not reduced class sizes in every other state they've been implemented in. All they do is create a new system of private schools which siphon off public money but which only benefit the kids who already do well in public schools, that is to say, upper-class white kids. None of this is new knowledge. 1240 should rightfully be defeated.

I work in special education. No matter what the pro-1240 people say, charters won't be meeting the needs of the kids I work with. They'll push them back to the regular public schools.

Izayoi

Banned
The only thing we really have in the way of manufacturing is Boeing. The rest is mostly tech stuff. Some game studios, Microsoft, Amazon, lots of startups. If you're working tech there are few better places in the country. Manufacturing, though...

I guess we've got Safeway/Kirkland plants here, but I think it's mostly dairy stuff. Does PACCAR do manufacturing here? I'm not sure.

Shouta

The only thing we really have in the way of manufacturing is Boeing. The rest is mostly tech stuff. Some game studios, Microsoft, Amazon, lots of startups. If you're working tech there are few better places in the country. Manufacturing, though...

I guess we've got Safeway/Kirkland plants here, but I think it's mostly dairy stuff. Does PACCAR do manufacturing here? I'm not sure.

There are a lot of companies that do electronic manufacturing up here as well, as I recall.

Reporting in from the East Side in Pullman. Voted Yes on 74 and 502, and haven't seen any No signs on either of those around here, but lots of Romney/Ryan signs.

kiryogi

Banned
Reporting in from the East Side in Pullman. Voted Yes on 74 and 502, and haven't seen any No signs on either of those around here, but lots of Romney/Ryan signs.

It's been a bit of a sign war in the many areas I've been to. One day you'd see a ton of No-74 signs, the next day they're all gone and replaced with Yes-74.

It's been a bit of a sign war in the many areas I've been to. One day you'd see a ton of No-74 signs, the next day they're all gone and replaced with Yes-74.

There are some people with a big No on 74 banner above the 45th overpass on I-5 in Seattle. Every time I drive under them I give 'em a big thumbs down. I want to flip them off, but that's not nice.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
There are some people with a big No on 74 banner above the 45th overpass on I-5 in Seattle. Every time I drive under them I give 'em a big thumbs down. I want to flip them off, but that's not nice.

I pulled up, on the bridge, mouthed fuck you and flipped them off so we're good. Their sign is a mess too.

Finally filled out my ballot today, alongside my partner. It was exciting because she just got her citizenship a little over a month ago, so this was her first time voting.

Most of the choices were no brainers, but I'm on pins and needles regarding the gubernatorial race. I'll never forgive the Times for endorsing McKenna, wtf were they thinking.

My friend Cyrus is running for State Legislature for part of Eastside - not my district, but that's the other race I'm really focused on. Hope he wins!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Dropped off my ballot today, but changing the topic from the election stuff, do any of you frequent farmers markets? I've recently decided to make more of an effort to support local farmers and have now gone to the Ballard farmers market on Sunday the last two weeks. It's pretty damn awesome. In fact, Ballard is a damn awesome area. Feels like a proper town with people actually out and about enjoying themselves.

Anyway, if anyone can recommend farmers markets in other parts of town, let me know! It would help of they are open on the weekend and operate year round.

My wife and I have been going to the University Farmers Market every Saturday since we bought our house five years ago. It's hands down the best one in the state, open year round and nothing but local produce and food.

Ballard Farmers Market sucks in comparison. We used to go it when we lived in Ballard. Less produce and more crappy knick knack stuff which isn't allowed at the U District one.

Struct09

My wife and I have been going to the University Farmers Market every Saturday since we bought our house five years ago. It's hands down the best one in the state, open year round and nothing but local produce and food.

Ballard Farmers Market sucks in comparison.

I live within walking distance of the UW farmers market, and will agree that it's awesome. My girlfriend and I love to go, especially during apple season.

soco

there was a protest parade years ago. i think for prop 8 originally or something, and I remember there were some straight couples who had put signs on their kids along the way in support gay marriage. it was pretty awesome to see while walking in it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

Ballard Farmers Market sucks in comparison. We used to go it when we lived in Ballard. Less produce and more crappy knick knack stuff which isn't allowed at the U District one.

Interesting! I'm glad to hear the the University district one is open year-round, too. I've seen them cleaning up a few times in the afternoon when I've dropped by Bratz for some schnitzel on Saturdays.

I'm a farmers market newbie and the Ballard one seems completely awesome to me. Lots of choices for meat, dairy, and produce, but since you've experienced both and think the U. district one is better, I'm definitely going to check it out.

Around what time do you usually go? Seems like eggs sell out quickly at the Ballard one. I missed them last Sunday and barely got a few dozen this morning at around 10:30 a.m.

Top Bottom