• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

soco

Interesting! I'm glad to hear the the University district one is open year-round, too. I've seen them cleaning up a few times in the afternoon when I've dropped by Bratz for some schnitzel on Saturdays.

I'm a farmers market newbie and the Ballard one seems completely awesome to me. Lots of choices for meat, dairy, and produce, but since you've experienced both and think the U. district one is better, I'm definitely going to check it out.

Around what time do you usually go? Seems like eggs sell out quickly at the Ballard one. I missed them last Sunday and barely got a few dozen this morning at around 10:30 a.m.

I like the Ballard one a lot. I've always felt like the UDistrict one is hit or miss on a lot of things. However, the UDistrict one is across the street from nook which has some of the best biscuits i've had in Seattle -- if you can get there before they sell out.

kiryogi

Banned
The Times has always leaned to the right, it's not shocking. The PI was their left counterpoint...

Which is funny as hell since they also endorse Koster, and then also go in to write an article on his rape comments (wtf)

Finally filled out my ballot today, alongside my partner. It was exciting because she just got her citizenship a little over a month ago, so this was her first time voting.

Most of the choices were no brainers, but I'm on pins and needles regarding the gubernatorial race. I'll never forgive the Times for endorsing McKenna, wtf were they thinking.

My friend Cyrus is running for State Legislature forum part of Eastside - not my district, but that's the other race I'm really focused on. Hope he wins!

Cyrus is awesome. The unions fully endorse him. That said yeah, I'm pretty concerned with the governors race as well. Been campaigning for Inslee the last 3 months. It's been intense.

I live within walking distance of the UW farmers market, and will agree that it's awesome. My girlfriend and I love to go, especially during apple season.

We live about a mile from it in Greenlake, so we've got a ritual every Saturday morning of walking up The Ave and getting coffee at Herkimer before getting our produce for the week.

And Zefah, yes, they do run out of eggs fairly early as well.

The U District market is less pretentious than the Ballard one. I just like the vibe a lot more.

dLMN8R

cap hill farmers market is kinda lame .. the only one ive been to.

In the middle of the summer it gets really nice. I was surprised to see it still going today, and it was probably a quarter the size that it gets during the summer. The produce (predictably) sucks for the most part now too :-(

My wife and I have been going to the University Farmers Market every Saturday since we bought our house five years ago. It's hands down the best one in the state, open year round and nothing but local produce and food.

Ballard Farmers Market sucks in comparison. We used to go it when we lived in Ballard. Less produce and more crappy knick knack stuff which isn't allowed at the U District one.

I went once and was super disappointed in the selection of people cooking food up for sale. I can't be the only one that likes a good street grilled hot dog while getting my fruits and veggies

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
How the fuck is R-74 down by 8% according to Komo?

Is this for real?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
It's unlikely that the Seattle votes have been counted yet.

I'll keep my cool for now. I was just surprised because I checked the marijuana one first and it was winning by 4%.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Damn, Seattle is huge, apparently. The results on marriage equality just flipped and now it looks like it's going to pass.

I was scared for a second there.

Not happy about charter schools looking to pass, though.

Ventron

So being new to the USA I had to look up what a "charter school" is.

Having done so, why on Earth would anyone be against it? The schools will be able to run themselves, right?

Having done so, why on Earth would anyone be against it? The schools will be able to run themselves, right?

They think it will take money away from public schools, and hopefully it will.

Washington did awesome tonight.

404318_4815895636436_1728833057_n.jpg

GOGO74!!!

It screws over special education students. I work in special education.

Waiting on results for 74 so I can go to bed. Count faster people! It's so close. It's making me anxious. I really didn't think it'd be this tight. Here's hoping it stays positive.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I visited Seattle the other day and enjoyed the hell out of it. Plus beer in the Supermarket... don't have that in B.C. And now legal weed? And maaaaybe legal gay marriage? This makes for a really appealing city! I would live there no doubt. All the right boxes are checked.

I visited Seattle the other day and enjoyed the hell out of it. Plus beer in the Supermarket... don't have that in B.C. And now legal weed? And maaaaybe legal gay marriage? This makes for a really appealing city! I would live there no doubt. All the right boxes are checked.

umm i think both a leagel now so yea...but hey B.C. is awesome as well at least Vancouver/ Victoria / Surrey since those are the only places ive been to.

BocoDragon

Beer at 7-11 sucks. Whole Foods and the U-Village QFC are awesome examples of what beer selections at a grocery store can be.
This so much. I went there last week solely to buy some bread and some turkey, and left $40 later with a cart full of beer.

Not complaining. Ballard Fred Meyer also has a pretty good selection.

BocoDragon

Beer at 7-11 sucks. Whole Foods and the U-Village QFC are awesome examples of what beer selections at a grocery store can be.

Yeah I'll check em out next time.... and I really liked the Sake selection at Uwajimaya.

But the point is that in B.C. you have to buy warm liquor at a government store (like a commie!!) or at a more expensive "cold beer and wine store".... both of which close at 11Pm... There are some hours of the night where 7-11 beer is just fine for me...

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

While 7-11 tends to suck, I've been to some gas station markets with very impressive beer sections.

dubc35

Sigh, this city has never met a property tax increase it doesn't like. Hooray seawall & fingerprinting! /sarcasm. I'm not saying the seawall doesn't need to be rebuilt but it's just another property tax increase that easily passes in this city. Regardless of what property tax increase is on the ballot next year it will pass too.

Sigh, this city has never met a property tax increase it doesn't like. Hooray seawall & fingerprinting! /sarcasm. I'm not saying the seawall doesn't need to be rebuilt but it's just another property tax increase that easily passes in this city. Regardless of what property tax increase is on the ballot next year it will pass too.

Money's gotta come from somewhere. Not that I *like* paying property taxes, but if it's not that, it's gonna come from somewhere else.

dubc35

Yeah I understand is has to come from somewhere but it seems like property tax is the only place it ever comes from, and is always approved. I remember hearing that the majority of registered voters in Seattle are renters which would make it much easier for it to pass. I don't know if that is true or not. If so, I would like to see rent directly increased along with property tax in the levy/prop. I'd like to see the voting history of levies/propositions paid for with property tax increases. I don't recall any that have not passed in the last five years or so.

Sorry if this comes out as just complaining. I truly believe some things do need to be done and taxes should be used to pay for them. However, it seems like anything in the city that increases property tax must be passed regardless. There is rarely pushback to make the organization asking for the money to find waste in their systems and get rid of it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I may be wrong, but wouldn't a property tax increase directly affect rental rates, too?

dubc35

It would affect property tax on the building but the owner/landlord does not necessarily need to raise rent for the tenants.

Top Bottom