• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

Izayoi

Banned
I'm curious as to how Inslee's talk (about recreational marijuana) with Holder is going to go on Tuesday. Hopefully something positive will come of it.

Hey Seattle Gaf!
Let me just start by saying thank you for this huge thread. I'm spending the long weekend in Seattle and it has been very useful!

Also, I need your help deciding what to do tonight.
Should I check out the Seattle Symphony or go to Swannies?

jb1234

Hey Seattle Gaf!
Let me just start by saying thank you for this huge thread. I'm spending the long weekend in Seattle and it has been very useful!

Also, I need your help deciding what to do tonight.
Should I check out the Seattle Symphony or go to Swannies?

Our symphony is very good. What are they playing?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Our symphony is very good. What are they playing?

Guest conductor Michael Tilson Thomas is conducting a medley of Uncle Kracker hits.

Bach & Telemann

Matthew Halls, conductor
Seattle Symphony

Handel: Overture to The Occasional Oratorio download audio sample
Rameau: Suite from Pigmalion download audio sample
Handel: Concerto grosso in B-flat major, Op. 3, No. 2, HWV 313 download audio sample
Telemann: Wassermusik, "Hamburger Ebb und Flut" (“Water Music: Hamburg River’s Ebb and Flow”) download audio sample
J.S. Bach: Suite No. 4 in D major for Orchestra, BWV 1069 download audio sample

British conductor Matthew Halls makes his Seattle Symphony debut conducting masterworks by Handel, Telemann and J.S. Bach. The Oxford graduate, who then taught at the prestigious university for five years, is a bright young star in England’s impressive early music movement.

This Baroque & Wine series concert features a pre-concert wine tasting event from 6:30 to 7:45 p.m. in the Samuel & Althea Stroum Grand Lobby. $10 for four pours.

dLMN8R

UNF such a good morning...Glo's followed by a walk to downtown followed by Crumble & Flake on the way back, and now chillin with a bottle of Fremont Abominable Winter Ale.

coldvein

Banned
UNF such a good morning...Glo's followed by a walk to downtown followed by Crumble & Flake on the way back, and now chillin with a bottle of Fremont Abominable Winter Ale.

glo's so good.

worked a lil taco event in greenlake tonight.. never really been over there before. seems aight.

It's my favorite draft beer, period. I'm just saying you'll often see that, where lesser cities would have two Coors pulls.
Ah, I see what you're saying.

Thank god you're not hating on Mac & Jack's. That's bad enough to be banned from the Seattle thread in my opinion.

dubc35

Hmm, I was never sold the team based on how flaky the Maloof's are anyway. If they keep their team, I'm happy for them. I would have liked to keep our team. Ruling out expansion, which I don't see happening, it will be bittersweet if/when we get a team. It will be "their OKC" as it is to us.

Hmm, I was never sold the team based on how flaky the Maloof's are anyway. If they keep their team, I'm happy for them. I would have liked to keep our team. Ruling out expansion, which I don't see happening, it will be bittersweet if/when we get a team. It will be "their OKC" as it is to us.

Huh? The article says Hansen bought the Kings.

ngower

Hey brosephs.

My friend just got a job in Seattle and I'm planning to move there once I finish school in May. I'd have to live in/around the U District (work) and I just had a few questions:

• What are cheap neighborhoods in that area that have plenty to offer and I won't be murdered in?
• I hear Seattle's an expensive city. How much should I plan to bring as a sort of 'entry level' fund (first months rent, food, transportation costs, etc)

Sorry if these are redundant questions. I've browsed through some of this thread but don't see anything of the sort (yet) that would answer my questions.

Hey brosephs.

My friend just got a job in Seattle and I'm planning to move there once I finish school in May. I'd have to live in/around the U District (work) and I just had a few questions:

• What are cheap neighborhoods in that area that have plenty to offer and I won't be murdered in?
• I hear Seattle's an expensive city. How much should I plan to bring as a sort of 'entry level' fund (first months rent, food, transportation costs, etc)

Sorry if these are redundant questions. I've browsed through some of this thread but don't see anything of the sort (yet) that would answer my questions.

I'm a homeowner, so I haven't dealt with renting for six years now, but from what I've heard, it's still a landlord's market.

As for the area you're looking to rent, the U Duatrict is safe. I live a mile north of there in Greenlake. It's all good.

Stinkles

I'm a homeowner, so I haven't dealt with renting for six years now, but from what I've heard, it's still a landlord's market.

As for the area you're looking to rent, the U Duatrict is safe. I live a mile north of there in Greenlake. It's all good.

U District is VERY safe compared to other big college cities and big cities in general, but it has sketchy areas and frequent petty crime. If you want to skip the grime entirely, move a little north to Ravenna,/Greenlake east to Sand Point or West to Wallingford/Tangletown/Greenlake.

Seattle is relatively expensive, but nothing like NY or San Fran.

Evlar

Banned
It looks like a scene from The Princess Bride out there. There's an impenetrable wall of fog standing over Lake Union.

U District is VERY safe compared to other big college cities and big cities in general, but it has sketchy areas and frequent petty crime. If you want to skip the grime entirely, move a little north to Ravenna,/Greenlake east to Sand Point or West to Wallingford/Tangletown/Greenlake.

Seattle is relatively expensive, but nothing like NY or San Fran.

That's the thing. I don't feel like any of it is unsafe. Shit, I've got a friend who lives on Union in Central, and it's totally fine.

Stinkles

That's the thing. I don't feel like any of it is unsafe. Shit, I've got a friend who lives on Union in Central, and it's totally fine.

"safety" is about apparent comfort, not stats. I think if you're like me, or you, you can pretty much live anywhere and be comfortable, but I think a lot of people would be bothered by the transients and occasional gang activity in the area.

jb1234

Hey brosephs.

The areas north of Seattle are generally safe (although the U District has some shady areas). None are particularly cheap as it's not a renter's market at the moment.

I would bring $2000 a month just to be safe, although you might be able to get buy on as little as $1500, depending on your mode of transportation and how frugal you are with food.

cdyhybrid

Hey brosephs.

Where are you coming from? If you're comparing to the middle of nowhere in Arkansas, yes it's expensive, but compared to SF or LA it's not too bad. I live in the U-District in one of the shadier areas (7th Ave.) and I've never had problems, but I've heard stories, and I think there's a halfway house across the street from my apartment. If you're coming from a big city and know how to keep your eyes open for stuff like that, it won't be a problem at all. It's mostly just panhandlers/homeless and the Ave rats.

Highly unlikely you'll be murdered anywhere in Seattle. You're thinking of Tacoma :p

Top Bottom