• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

It's fantastic. Wonderful food and a super cool atmosphere. They have 5 different house BBQ sauces at each table to try with your food. The food has that super smokey BBQ taste that fills up the room. Pretty decent whiskey selection too from what I remember.

Chris R

Are there any cheaper options for staying in Seattle? Looks like the cheapest decent hotel I can find is $150 a night at the end of August :( Might just book it though since the flight down from Anchorage is so cheap and I wouldn't be renting a car.

coldvein

Banned
It's fantastic. Wonderful food and a super cool atmosphere. They have 5 different house BBQ sauces at each table to try with your food. The food has that super smokey BBQ taste that fills up the room. Pretty decent whiskey selection too from what I remember.

maaaannn... i dug it. shared some barbecue plate thing, ribs were great, but the fried chicken god damn! some of the best fried chicken ive had in my life, no joke.

element

Are there any cheaper options for staying in Seattle? Looks like the cheapest decent hotel I can find is $150 a night at the end of August :( Might just book it though since the flight down from Anchorage is so cheap and I wouldn't be renting a car.
Check out AirBnB

lingiii

Banned
Anyone else catch the story on Weekday on KUOW this morning (like around 10:00am) about the Amy Wilentz book about Haiti? I followed up on her offhand evisceration of Mac McClelland (article referenced here: http://www.good.is/posts/how-violent-sex-helped-ease-my-ptsd/).

Basically, this Wilentz lady is real critical of USAID and foreign aid to Haiti generally, and lays into this woman who had some seriously traumatic/fucked-up shit go down, and went about "fixing" it for herself in kind of a distressing manner.

Anyway, I don't really have any articulated thoughts to share, just been in the back of my head all day. Went down a rabbit hole of thinking about imperialism/colonialism/misguided charity efforts, sexual violence, therapy, etc.

In other news, I really like that show. The hosts are solid and the guests consistently fascinating.

I was busy this morning at work and didn't get a chance to listen to Weekday in my office, but I normally have KUOW on all day. Week in Review (Friday 10am) is one of my weekly highlights.

To all who offered advice on neighborhoods earlier last fall: thank you. To the rest of you, there is so much great advice in this thread I should just print it out and wallpaper my bathroom with it.

Anyway! I have escaped California and am up here working downtown (and living in Bremerton for now - long story), but the rest of the family is moving up in June after the kids finish school. We've about settled on the Magnolia/Queen Anne corner but I am not seeing a lot of apartments available. I do see houses for rent, almost all offered by property management companies. I've never done this before (have always rented extra houses from relatives), so anything I should be on the lookout for?

EDIT:

Hmm, I was never sold the team based on how flaky the Maloof's are anyway. If they keep their team, I'm happy for them. I would have liked to keep our team. Ruling out expansion, which I don't see happening, it will be bittersweet if/when we get a team. It will be "their OKC" as it is to us.

Having just come from Sacramento, the only thing you want from the Maloofs is their signature on a document stating they will never have anything to do with the team again. They have continually lied to the city, the fans, the management and coaching staff and everyone else they could. And I doubt Sacramento will ever see that $77m the Maloofs owe them either :\

leroidys

To all who offered advice on neighborhoods earlier last fall: thank you. To the rest of you, there is so much great advice in this thread I should just print it out and wallpaper my bathroom with it.

Anyway! I have escaped California and am up here working downtown (and living in Bremerton for now - long story), but the rest of the family is moving up in June after the kids finish school. We've about settled on the Magnolia/Queen Anne corner but I am not seeing a lot of apartments available. I do see houses for rent, almost all offered by property management companies. I've never done this before (have always rented extra houses from relatives), so anything I should be on the lookout for?

EDIT:

Having just come from Sacramento, the only thing you want from the Maloofs is their signature on a document stating they will never have anything to do with the team again. They have continually lied to the city, the fans, the management and coaching staff and everyone else they could. And I doubt Sacramento will ever see that $77m the Maloofs owe them either :\

Just know your rights. WA has pretty good tenant rights, but they are still ridiculously tilted towards the renter like most places in the US. Document every insignificant piece of damage when you move in.

Keikaku

Anyone want to do a meetup in a few weeks-say 2nd week of February? Drinks and food and drinks?

EastsideGAF can do a rehearsal/pre-pre-game at JJ's in Redmond or Taphouse in Bellevue :p

I might show depending on the location.

For what it's worth, I'm working on putting together a large scale meet-up for sometime around the middle of March. Just need to come up with a place that's big enough for a good sized group (suggestions?). The Garage was great but I don't feel like doing the same thing two years in a row.

coldvein

Banned
garage works for me.

but i guess this isnt all about me. i like lucky's idea of a big meetup. i'm also down for a smaller thing. but eastside? no.

Keikaku

I might show depending on the location.

For what it's worth, I'm working on putting together a large scale meet-up for sometime around the middle of March. Just need to come up with a place that's big enough for a good sized group (suggestions?). The Garage was great but I don't feel like doing the same thing two years in a row.
I did like The Garage but I also agree that I don't feel like going there again. If people still want pool, Temple Billiards looks pretty good.

After that, if people want to eat and don't mind a small walk (11 blocks ain't a lot :D), there's this place I heard about from friends called Hue Ky. I'll be checking it out in a week or two.

I'm not attached to this at all, just throwing out suggestions.
garage works for me.

but i guess this isnt all about me. i like lucky's idea of a big meetup. i'm also down for a smaller thing. but eastside? no.
It was tongue-in-cheek and, if you're not on the Eastside, I can understand it not working for you. However, I do remember that the 2 GAFfers I met who lived on this side of the water with me were pretty cool cats, so why not?

coldvein

Banned
It was tongue-in-cheek and, if you're not on the Eastside, I can understand it not working for you. However, I do remember that the 2 GAFfers I met who lived on this side of the water with me were pretty cool cats, so why not?

so please create a thread called "the east side suburb meetup thread".

Bravehorse?

blurrygil

Well, since we're being pedantic, presumably this will be open to all GAFfers who live in east side suburbs everywhere then?

As much as I work out on the eastside and such, I wouldn't want to make this. Seattle is just that much more attractive.

I can host something. I have a fairly sizable place on Cap Hill, with an arcade room, plenty tabletop geekery, vidya games, a dumpy cat and plenty of booze n beer. Winning combination, perhaps?

Agree on a date and I can set things in motion.

Keikaku

As much as I work out on the eastside and such, I wouldn't want to make this. Seattle is just that much more attractive.

I can host something. I have a fairly sizable place on Cap Hill, with an arcade room, plenty tabletop geekery, vidya games, a dumpy cat and plenty of booze n beer. Winning combination, perhaps?

Sounds pretty great!

Le-mo

Damn, this makes me want to go.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Are you a rapist?

I did like The Garage but I also agree that I don't feel like going there again. If people still want pool, Temple Billiards looks pretty good.

After that, if people want to eat and don't mind a small walk (11 blocks ain't a lot :D), there's this place I heard about from friends called Hue Ky. I'll be checking it out in a week or two.

I'm not attached to this at all, just throwing out suggestions.
Temple looks like a cool location. I might do some scouting myself and see if it's actually a good place. We did end up in the International District last time (though I don't think you were there at that point), so being nearby could prove to be pretty clutch.

Bravehorse is great, but gets crazy douchey at nighttime.
My thoughts exactly. Wonderful venue though.

That would be great. The dates I had in mind were March 22nd or 23rd so that gives us plenty of time to plan and people to make schedule accommodations. It could be earlier but I'm pretty sure those dates coincide with Spring Break for those of us who are in school.

If it's easier we can always start somewhere on Cap Hill and then move over to your place afterwards? I know last year's meetup had about 20 people and I'm hoping for the same number again.

cdyhybrid

Any. 21 - late 20's probably.

Probably closer to lots of lights and loud but anything really.

I've gotta say I really like Havana. It's usually packed and it's hot as fuck in there, so it's like a club in a sauna, but the DJ has been REALLY good every time I've been there.

blurrygil

Temple looks like a cool location. I might do some scouting myself and see if it's actually a good place. We did end up in the International District last time (though I don't think you were there at that point), so being nearby could prove to be pretty clutch.

I like Temple. But I'm there ALL the time (ECS/Sounders stuff) as it's one of our home pubs. I'm down for it, though.

That would be great. The dates I had in mind were March 22nd or 23rd so that gives us plenty of time to plan and people to make schedule accommodations. It could be earlier but I'm pretty sure those dates coincide with Spring Break for those of us who are in school.

If it's easier we can always start somewhere on Cap Hill and then move over to your place afterwards? I know last year's meetup had about 20 people and I'm hoping for the same number again.

It's very likely I'll be out of town this weekend, as it's PAX East weekend and I'll likely be working the show. The weekend after is also tough as that's Wondercon; another show we attend and may be gone for that as well (either or both shows, basically). :p

rando14

I think I can choose to go with others if I want to.

Really? You're lucky, I literally only have Comcast if I want Internet. Service is fast enough, but I have problems with their TV service and I hate being forced into the service of a monopoly.

Comcast tends to have shitty customer service and repeated internet issues, I avoid them as much as possible. Centurylink (used to be verizon) has always done well by me, though.

Comcast tends to have shitty customer service and repeated internet issues, I avoid them as much as possible. Centurylink (used to be verizon) has always done well by me, though.

Comcast sucks and they basically have a monopoly in Seattle city limits, but they took $90 off our monthly bill after my wife called and bitched them out yesterday.

rando14

Comcast sucks and they basically have a monopoly in Seattle city limits, but they took $90 off our monthly bill after my wife called and bitched them out yesterday.

Lol could you teach me? I tried to contact them after my bills got hiked yet again but they told me I couldn't do shit and couldn't leave because if I did I'd get hit with some early termination fee or some bullshit.

Lol could you teach me? I tried to contact them after my bills got hiked yet again but they told me I couldn't do shit and couldn't leave because if I did I'd get hit with some early termination fee or some bullshit.

I don't have the skill myself, but she's good. We got bumped from Economy Comfort on our flight home from DC last weekend. She (being a Platinum level frequent flier) called Delta and after chewing them out, got $200 in Delta credit for each of us.

dLMN8R

Need to find a Internet provider for my new apartment. Does anyone know if Comcast / xfinity is any good?

Though your apartment would probably tell you about it if it was available, check out Cascade Link:

http://www.cascadelink.com/

It's a local Seattle company that just came to my building a few weeks ago, and it's fucking amazing. 30 megabit download, 10-20 megabit upstream, $40/month with no extra taxes or fees, no rate increases, no contracts. The customer service is all local and extremely nice.

2446659089.png

The thing is, they only go to apartment/condo complexes of 60 units or more right now because of the stature of their company and the tech they use (some wide-band wireless thing which has only slightly worse latency than cable).

If your complex is big enough, tell your management about it - Cascade Link expands in both ways, them going to complexes, and complexes going to them.

Comcast just raised my 20 megabit service price to $65/month, perfect time to cancel :) The best part was when I asked them to compete with Cascade Link, they generously offered me my same service for "just $50/month!" (for just a 12-month promotional period)

soco

Comcast may suck, but the other cable company that's in some parts of the city is even worse. I'm actually happy my new place has comcast, though I'd love an alternative as we spend shitloads every month.

dLMN8R

Yeah, let me rephrase above - if Comcast is your only option, it's not *bad* at all. But it's expensive because of a lack of competition, and not as fast as what's available elsewhere.

I was always really happy with the overall speed and reliability of the Comcast internet I had a few years, and if I moved to a place where it was my only option, I wouldn't be broken up about it.

Though your apartment would probably tell you about it if it was available, check out Cascade Link:

http://www.cascadelink.com/

It's a local Seattle company that just came to my building a few weeks ago, and it's fucking amazing. 30 megabit download, 10-20 megabit upstream, $40/month with no extra taxes or fees, no rate increases, no contracts. The customer service is all local and extremely nice.

2446659089.png

The thing is, they only go to apartment/condo complexes of 60 units or more right now because of the stature of their company and the tech they use (some wide-band wireless thing which has only slightly worse latency than cable).

If your complex is big enough, tell your management about it - Cascade Link expands in both ways, them going to complexes, and complexes going to them.

Comcast just raised my 20 megabit service price to $65/month, perfect time to cancel :) The best part was when I asked them to compete with Cascade Link, they generously offered me my same service for "just $50/month!" (for just a 12-month promotional period)

I'm getting 32 download, 5 upload with Comcast and paying $20 more than you.

FML.

Hope that Cascade Link thing spread around more.

Top Bottom