• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

jb1234

I'm getting 32 download, 5 upload with Comcast and paying $20 more than you.

FML.

Hope that Cascade Link thing spread around more.

My apartment complex is pretty big but doesn't cover this company, unfortunately. I'm paying $65 for Comcast right now and it sucks ($15 for basic cable too which I never use but they forced me to package them together for the best deal).

zerotol

Banned
Man, I need to figure out how to do that. My Comcast bill is outrageous and it keeps going up.

If you call up Comcast and tell them you're canceling your Internet, they will sometimes take a good amount off your bill just to keep you as a customer. I've done it twice.

jb1234

If you call up Comcast and tell them you're canceling your Internet, they will sometimes take a good amount off your bill just to keep you as a customer. I've done it twice.

The fear is that they'll call my bluff. ;) However, I've been a customer for well over a decade so hopefully that'll count for something...

The fear is that they'll call my bluff. ;) However, I've been a customer for well over a decade so hopefully that'll count for something...

They won't. I do it all the time during NBA season to try and get free league pass. I've gotten free hbo, showtime, starz before as well too.

I just write down every time my internet/tv goes out. So I have an reference to argue, (it's not like they check that shit..) makes my shit sounds semi legit. Comcast over charge our asses anyways, so I don't feel bad running game on them at all.

element

I'd take Comcast back in a heartbeat!! I'm on First Hill and stuck with WaveBroadband formerly ran by Broadstripe. This is my typical evening speed.

I setup a fair amount of stuff to download overnight when it peaks to 15 Mbps. But still I moved away from 50/50 FIOS for this shit!!

Seattle Gigabit can't come soon enough!!

Dartastic

Sorta unrelated to this thread (and I plan on making a thread about this soon when I'm not on my phone) but does anyone have any experience/advice about applying to Amazon and the process involved?

Trouble

Banned
Sorta unrelated to this thread (and I plan on making a thread about this soon when I'm not on my phone) but does anyone have any experience/advice about applying to Amazon and the process involved?

If you've ever interviewed at a big-ish tech company it's similar to the process at Microsoft, Google, et al.

1-2 phone screens followed by an in-house interview. The in-house is an all day deal. Hour long 1-on-1s with lunch with a manager in the middle.

It can be somewhat useful to be referred, there is supposed to be a guaranteed recruiter contact for referals.

Dartastic

If you've ever interviewed at a big-ish tech company it's similar to the process at Microsoft, Google, et al.

1-2 phone screens followed by an in-house interview. The in-house is an all day deal. Hour long 1-on-1s with lunch with a manager in the middle.

It can be somewhat useful to be referred, there is supposed to be a guaranteed recruiter contact for referals.
The only big company i have been interviewed at is EA. I know that there is at least that much to it, but I really want this job I applied to (and subsequently to move to Seattle from Portland) and I have heard that they're extremely difficult to get a job at. AUGH. I'll make a thread tomorrow.

giggler

Banned
any of you jet city guys actually into planes? part of me wishes I could just hang out at the boeing factory and watch the brand new planes go for test flights.

"safety" is about apparent comfort, not stats. I think if you're like me, or you, you can pretty much live anywhere and be comfortable, but I think a lot of people would be bothered by the transients and occasional gang activity in the area.
The areas north of Seattle are generally safe (although the U District has some shady areas). None are particularly cheap as it's not a renter's market at the moment.

I would bring $2000 a month just to be safe, although you might be able to get buy on as little as $1500, depending on your mode of transportation and how frugal you are with food.
Hmm, I wonder if I'll have any luck finding an apartment that goes for not much more than about $1000 a month. I'm really going to miss Bothell.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Hmm, I wonder if I'll have any luck finding an apartment that goes for not much more than about $1000 a month. I'm really going to miss Bothell.

Maybe I missed it in an earlier post, but which neighborhoods are you interested in? I never got anywhere hunting online, but found a great, convenient, and affordable place quickly by walking around the areas I was interested in and just buzzing the managers of places that looked promising. They're often willing to cut deals in person, too, when it wouldn't typically be mentioned in an online listing.

Maybe I missed it in an earlier post, but which neighborhoods are you interested in? I never got anywhere hunting online, but found a great, convenient, and affordable place quickly by walking around the areas I was interested in and just buzzing the managers of places that looked promising. They're often willing to cut deals in person, too, when it wouldn't typically be mentioned in an online listing.

This.

It's always been the trick to finding a good place.. there are tons of buildings in the Seattle area owned by people who don't do a lot of marketing of their open rentals.

And there's a huge disparity in the ages of buildings in any given neighborhood. You can often find a nice, older building.. owned by someone who has had the building in their family for decades, with extremely reasonable rents.

Drive around and look for vacancy signs, you'd be surprised the kind of deals you can get.

dLMN8R

The only big company i have been interviewed at is EA. I know that there is at least that much to it, but I really want this job I applied to (and subsequently to move to Seattle from Portland) and I have heard that they're extremely difficult to get a job at. AUGH. I'll make a thread tomorrow.

Not to be a jerk, but if you think the interview process is a lot of work, you probably don't want to work for Amazon. While it can be enjoyable, every single person I know who works there basically lives their job night and day. It's extremely grueling with relatively crappy work/life balance. It differs depending on team, but for the most part they expect the world out of you and then some.

Don't make a thread. What the heck would you make a thread about? Just go and apply.

cdyhybrid

Not to be a jerk, but if you think the interview process is a lot of work, you probably don't want to work for Amazon. While it can be enjoyable, every single person I know who works there basically lives their job night and day. It's extremely grueling with relatively crappy work/life balance. It differs depending on team, but for the most part they expect the world out of you and then some.

Don't make a thread. What the heck would you make a thread about? Just go and apply.

Only know one person that works there at the moment, but that sounds about right.

I know two people there, and while that's true of one (who actually left the company because of it), the other seems to have a pretty happy and reasonable work/life balance. The one who left had worked as part of their shipping logistics whatever department. The one still there is in a less intense department.

cdyhybrid

It probably also depends on what time of year it is. I imagine it's less crazy there during the summer or something than in November and December.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade

What kind of advice are you looking for? I just got a job at amazon, and I worked for Microsoft beforehand.

My big advice, get your linked in page looking good! I found out that thing really works.

jb1234

Getting more than a little worried that they're going to start tolling I-90. It's bad enough if you have a normal 9-5 but for those who have to drive from job to job (like my fellow musicians) and cross the bridge several times a day, it's a killer.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
any of you jet city guys actually into planes? part of me wishes I could just hang out at the boeing factory and watch the brand new planes go for test flights.

You see a lot of planes here. I get seaplanes all day and I noticed a Concorde at Boeing Field yesterday. Museum I assume. But you see weird planes there all the time.

Getting more than a little worried that they're going to start tolling I-90. It's bad enough if you have a normal 9-5 but for those who have to drive from job to job (like my fellow musicians) and cross the bridge several times a day, it's a killer.

And you also put a greater strain on our shared infrastructure ;)

coldvein

Banned
just got a ballot in the mail .. had no idea there was some sort of voting happening. whats the deal yos, what to vote for

edit: ahh. school levies it looks like..

just got a ballot in the mail .. had no idea there was some sort of voting happening. whats the deal yos, what to vote for

edit: ahh. school levies it looks like..

Yeah, I got mine last week. There are "No on Prop 2" signs all over my neighborhood with pictures of old Native Americans on them. I have no clue what that's about.

man, the ONLY good thing about the eastside is all the awesome motorcycles between redmond and woodinville. saw a new panigale 1199 and last year's ape rsv4 factory tearing it up on woodinville-redmond road despite the 40ish degree weather. CRAZY. if i only i didn't have this shitty flu virus... :-(

Le-mo

Have anybody been to Din Tai Fung in Bellevue? I'm going there for the first time on the 15th but I want to get some impressions from gaf. Will $200 be enough for three people?

So I'm just curious - how would you guys feel about the NHL bringing a team to Seattle? How do you think others from the area would react? Interested? Not?

Le-mo

So I'm just curious - how would you guys feel about the NHL bringing a team to Seattle? How do you think others from the area would react? Interested? Not?
I don't care for hockey so I have no gripes with it either way. Only thing I'll be worried about is the added traffic with the addition of another sport team.

cdyhybrid

I think there are a decent number of hockey fans here, the team could do just fine if they run the franchise decently. I'm not really a hockey guy but I'd start watching if we got a team here.

Trouble

Banned

It's a white people sport, it will do well. Probably not as smashingly as the Sounders as Soccer is the whitest of organized team sports.

The only thing i enjoy about hockey is the playoffs. Hockey somehow always have amazing playoffs. I'll probably end up being a casual fan but wont ever really dive in.

So no problem with it here.

Interesting... Was just curious with the talk about the Coyotes possibly relocating there next season or you guys getting an expansion team a few years down the road.

Would love to hear more opinions.

I'd definitely be interested. I've always liked the sport of hockey I've just found it difficult to get into without having a rooting interest.

I love watching the playoffs every year and agree with the above post that they're always exciting. I could definitely see it as something I'd be a fan of, and if the way the city embraced Soccer with the Sounders is any indication, it should do just fine (this is assuming the team can be competitive, of course).

I'd definitely be interested. I've always liked the sport of hockey I've just found it difficult to get into without having a rooting interest.

I love watching the playoffs every year and agree with the above post that they're always exciting. I could definitely see it as something I'd be a fan of, and if the way the city embraced Soccer with the Sounders is any indication, it should do just fine (this is assuming the team can be competitive, of course).

The Yotes can definitely be competitive. They have a good future ahead of them, regardless of if it's in Glendale (lol), Quebec City or Seattle.

If you guys get an expansion team, however, it may be a few seasons. :p

NHL team would be like the Sounders I think. There would be an extremely dedicated, loyal fanbase that would lead to good attendance but gaining a widespread audience might be tough.

Sounders as an example have more people in the stands on Gameday than watch on TV. That works in the MLS but the major sports leagues rely on tv money as much if not more than attendance money so the NHL's biggest problem will be trying to get those eyeballs watching on tv when the Sonics are on, when the Seahawks are on in the fall and when the Mariners are on in the spring.

Either way, NHL team won't be coming to Seattle until an NBA team does so that's the first thing that needs to happen.

Top Bottom