• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

dubc35

It's a 7 mile hike to get to Summerland.

Not my picture, but it's a good idea of what it looks like.

Summerland.jpg

Looks like a sweet hike, but coldvein keep in mind you might not be able to find that trail in March. It will probably be covered in snow like most/all anywhere near the mountains during that time.

*edit, crap missed that the thread went to the next page. I would expect it to be covered in feet of snow.

Oh dear.

37 / M / staying Bremerton for the moment; moving to Magnolia in April if all goes well.

Born and raised in and around Sacramento, California. Just moved here on New Year's Day, but the wife and kids aren't moving up until June.

Work in downtown Seattle right by Pike Market for a web hosting company.

Still getting my arms around the serious lack of sunlight and not having to drive anywhere.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hey all,

S.O. and I are looking for a church (Christian), preferably somewhere in Seattle proper; any suggestions?

I am an atheist but I have heard Mars Hill is a pretty weird cult-y church roiled in internal politics. But it's very popular. More of a caution than a recommendation.

dubc35

Yeah I've heard weird things about Mars Hill from friends of my wife. I've never been there personally. Wife and I go to Bethany Community Church (80th & Green Lake). They have locations in West Seattle and Shoreline as well.

Totally creepy. They do a great job of attracting angry young men who lack direction in life.

Personally, I'm agnostic/don't really care/just be a good person. My wife however, is Lutheran, and I respect her beliefs.

dubc35

There was a story in Seattle Weekly, the Stranger or something like that a couple years ago about MH and how crazy it was. Someone that was in the church saying what crazy S went down. On phone now so don't want to search for it, but it's probably easy to find.

e* Again, I've never been there so just going on second hand info. If someone here goes there and like it then please continue to. Who am I to say you shouldn't.

Yeah I've heard weird things about Mars Hill from friends of my wife. I've never been there personally. Wife and I go to Bethany Community Church (80th & Green Lake). They have locations in West Seattle and Shoreline as well.
Heard lots of good things about this church. A ton of people from my school (SPU) go there on a regular basis.

Supposedly Rain City Church is good. A buddy from grad school is the youth pastor there.

Also the wife and I are visting Seattle tonight. Anything to check out? We're going to Ruth Chris at 9pm (one of our favs).

Soon hopefully. I've been sluffing on planning it, I apologize.

Also Patrick, I was at Barboza last night and I thought of you. When are we doing that JK Pop thing?

GrizzNKev

Banned
I don't know if this is the right place to ask but I'm going to be needing a job for the summer when I'm between school semesters. Ideally I want to do something entry level in the game industry like testing/QA to get something on my resume other than student game projects.

Does anyone here have any insight into how I should look for such a job or what companies might be useful to communicate with that are in the Redmond area or are accessible by bus not far from Redmond?

I know it's going to most likely be a contract type deal through a third party, and I'm aware of companies like Volt. I also know that Nintendo only accepts applications on specific dates. The main trouble I'm having is that I need to secure housing and a job around the same time or else I'll be headed back to Florida for the summer to work retail or some crap. I've looked for anything I could find but I know it's too early right now for simple job listings like that 2 months in advance.

GG-Duo

I'm going to be staying in Seattle for the month of March, so thanks for the church recommendations. I think I'll give Quest Church a try first.

Btw what's a good area to stay, if I need to work in South Lake Union?
I'll have my car since I'm driving down from Vancouver BC, but it's my understanding that parking is expensive downtown.

jb1234

I'm going to be staying in Seattle for the month of March, so thanks for the church recommendations. I think I'll give Quest Church a try first.

I'll have my car since I'm driving down from Vancouver BC, but it's my understanding that parking is expensive downtown.

Just a bit. Your best bet is to stay in a location in central Seattle (which offers a parking space, otherwise you're going to be in street parking hell) and take public transit down to your work.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade

Transit goes near South Lake Union from everywhere, so if you live anywere near a transit center or so, you can bus to work. I live in Redmond and bus to South Lake Union where I work. It's easy.

pax217

Does anyone have any experience with the "Seamless" food delivery app here in the city? Brad from GiantBomb recommended it, I thought I would try it out tonight...

When we actually get around to it, my wife and I go to Ballard First Lutheran. Very progressive ELCA church, we love it.

City Church

Thanks guys; got both on the list now, will check both out. Much appreciated. City Church is easily within walking distance of our place, but look forward to checking out Ballard First Lutheran as well.

As far as Mars Hill, I once heard a podcast with Mark Driscoll cussing from the pulpit; which I wouldn't necessarily take it as a big deal if he wasn't clearly doing it for shock value. I won't ever waste my time there.

Thanks again.

GG-Duo

Transit goes near South Lake Union from everywhere, so if you live anywere near a transit center or so, you can bus to work. I live in Redmond and bus to South Lake Union where I work. It's easy.

Thanks. I have friends who live in Bothell (around Canyon Park / Morningside according to Google Maps) and they are offering a room for me to stay. Would it be sane for me to live with them and drive to SLU every day? How's that commute? It'll probably save me a bunch of rent.

Thanks. I have friends who live in Bothell (around Canyon Park / Morningside according to Google Maps) and they are offering a room for me to stay. Would it be sane for me to live with them and drive to SLU every day? How's that commute? It'll probably save me a bunch of rent.

The commute would probably be a pain in the butt depending on the time of the day, but not a huge inconvenience or anything. Bus would probably be less stressful going South into the city from Bothell.

jb1234

During rush hour, the commute is going to suck, hard. Taking the bus is going to add overall time to the commute but you don't have to worry about paying for parking.

Lumiere

Neo Member
I don't know if this is the right place to ask but I'm going to be needing a job for the summer when I'm between school semesters. Ideally I want to do something entry level in the game industry like testing/QA to get something on my resume other than student game projects.

Does anyone here have any insight into how I should look for such a job or what companies might be useful to communicate with that are in the Redmond area or are accessible by bus not far from Redmond?

I know it's going to most likely be a contract type deal through a third party, and I'm aware of companies like Volt. I also know that Nintendo only accepts applications on specific dates. The main trouble I'm having is that I need to secure housing and a job around the same time or else I'll be headed back to Florida for the summer to work retail or some crap. I've looked for anything I could find but I know it's too early right now for simple job listings like that 2 months in advance.
Do you need something that gives consistent 40 hours weeks? Very easy to get an entry level position with Volt, especially in summer, but their hours are usually all over the place.

Nert

Broad/vague question time!

I'm struggling to find work where I'm currently living and I'm thinking about moving to Seattle and looking for work there. I've wanted to live in a city for a long time (without a car) and I've saved up enough money to easily cover at least three months of rent/food/utilities. Ideally, I would get a job first and then move to end up close to it, but the application process hasn't gone anywhere for a few months now and I think that living hundreds of miles away is putting me towards the bottom of applicant pools.

If I were to move to, say, downtown Seattle, could I take public transit to reach most of the major job centers in the Greater Seattle Area without too much trouble? It would be nice if I found work in downtown Seattle, but I don't want to put myself in a situation where it would be a pain to commute to work in Bellevue, for example. Please let me know if I'm not making a lot sense with this line of inquiry and I'll try to clarify things.

Broad/vague question time!

I'm struggling to find work where I'm currently living and I'm thinking about moving to Seattle and looking for work there. I've wanted to live in a city for a long time (without a car) and I've saved up enough money to easily cover at least three months of rent/food/utilities. Ideally, I would get a job first and then move to end up close to it, but the application process hasn't gone anywhere for a few months now and I think that living hundreds of miles away is putting me towards the bottom of applicant pools.

If I were to move to, say, downtown Seattle, could I take public transit to reach most of the major job centers in the Greater Seattle Area without too much trouble? It would be nice if I found work in downtown Seattle, but I don't want to put myself in a situation where it would be a pain to commute to work in Bellevue, for example. Please let me know if I'm not making a lot sense with this line of inquiry and I'll try to clarify things.
The Metro system works pretty good, especially if you're located Downtown. They have busses that will go just about anywhere, including Bellevue (I think?). Be warned though, from what I hear the Bellevue commute is already a pain in the ass during peak hours, I can't imagine what it'd be like on a bus. It's probably doable but maybe not ideal.

I second all of those recommendations and would add that for casual mexican food, Gordito's is still pretty hard to beat.

And BBQ I'd recommend Kickin' Boot in Ballard.

Top Bottom