• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

jb1234

Broad/vague question time!

I'm struggling to find work where I'm currently living and I'm thinking about moving to Seattle and looking for work there. I've wanted to live in a city for a long time (without a car) and I've saved up enough money to easily cover at least three months of rent/food/utilities. Ideally, I would get a job first and then move to end up close to it, but the application process hasn't gone anywhere for a few months now and I think that living hundreds of miles away is putting me towards the bottom of applicant pools.

If I were to move to, say, downtown Seattle, could I take public transit to reach most of the major job centers in the Greater Seattle Area without too much trouble? It would be nice if I found work in downtown Seattle, but I don't want to put myself in a situation where it would be a pain to commute to work in Bellevue, for example. Please let me know if I'm not making a lot sense with this line of inquiry and I'll try to clarify things.

From downtown Seattle, you should be okay (or really, any part in central Seattle). Public transit to downtown Bellevue is about double the time what it would take by car but still doable. If you're going to get a job in any other part of Bellevue or the Eastside, it gets increasingly harder to get by without a car.

GG-Duo

The commute would probably be a pain in the butt depending on the time of the day, but not a huge inconvenience or anything. Bus would probably be less stressful going South into the city from Bothell.

During rush hour, the commute is going to suck, hard. Taking the bus is going to add overall time to the commute but you don't have to worry about paying for parking.

Dang it. Ehh... maybe I'll take their other advice and do the park-n-ride.

Thanks for the recommendations so far. I'm bookmarking all of them on Yelp and will be going down the list.

Did yelp ever clean up their bullshit, or are they still shady as fuck? (charging restaurants to remove bad reviews or promote positive reviews and so forth)

lingiii

Banned
Can anyone recommend a bar to hang out at in Redmond (I know, I know). I'm coming from the dingiest divest smoking-still-allowed-here St. Louis shitholes and that's how I like 'em. I figure I can't get that in Redmond, but I could use something better than the Applebees or whatever.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Can anyone recommend a bar to hang out at in Redmond (I know, I know). I'm coming from the dingiest divest smoking-still-allowed-here St. Louis shitholes and that's how I like 'em. I figure I can't get that in Redmond, but I could use something better than the Applebees or whatever.

There's a gross bar right near the 520 called Daman's, and there's a weird bar that's half Irish pub half Cajun, called Celtic Bayou. Both a terribad/good.

Celtic Bayou is WEIRD. I've been to the one up in Lynnwood. Subpar food and everything is extremely overpriced.

Black Raven Brewing. Beer only, but it's so damn good that you don't need liquor.

coldvein

Banned
only been to bitteroot bbq once, thought it was okay. not a big fan of the pretzel bun the sandwiches come on.

the macaroni and cheese was fantastic though.

I think taking the ferry over to Bainbridge is pretty fun. It's about a half hour, you get a cool view of the cityscape, and the main drag in Bainbridge is kinda fun to just walk around in and explore.

Pike's Market is fun to walk around, lotta eats and things you can snack on, and the buskers are neat.

I think taking the ferry over to Bainbridge is pretty fun. It's about a half hour, you get a cool view of the cityscape, and the main drag in Bainbridge is kinda fun to just walk around in and explore.

Pike's Market is fun to walk around, lotta eats and things you can snack on, and the buskers are neat.

I like me my beer. Do you mean this place? (bing maps link) what a weird fucking location for a bar?

EDIT: flip that street view around 180 degrees.

Yep, right on the corner of 95th and Willows. It's the actual brewery, and then they just have a little tap room that they serve in. No food (but usually hot dogs in the parking lot, or pizza delivery available). They have a kick ass porter.

Spoken like a true midwest transplant.

Pike Place Market.

Glad you enjoyed it though! #seattlesnob

jb1234

Pike Place Market.

Every time a friend comes to visit me from out of state, I have to take them to the usual tourist traps, included that goddamned Pike Place Market. I HATE the Pike Place Market, with the crowds, the fish and the way that I get completely lost no matter what floor of it I'm on.

Well, obviously parking sucks, but outside of that I really enjoy the culture and variety of downtown. Pike Place Market too. I was just down there the other day showing one of my tourist friends around and it dawned on me that I don't nearly go down there enough. That stretch never gets old to me.

One area of Seattle I loathe however is Belltown, particularly the nightlife. I've never had a good experience down there.

jb1234

Well, obviously parking sucks, but outside of that I really enjoy the culture and variety of downtown. Pike Place Market too. I was just down there the other day showing one of my tourist friends around and it dawned on me that I don't nearly go down there enough. That stretch never gets old to me.

One area of Seattle I loathe however is Belltown, particularly the nightlife. I've never had a good experience down there.

I like the shopping area of downtown (Westlake, Pacific Place) quite a bit although I'll admit I'm not down there often. The last time I was downtown was almost a year ago, for jury duty.

Belltown is a pit.

Mmmmm HopScotch

I took part in the WA Brewer's Open House today, good times were had at Fremont Brewing.

Well, obviously parking sucks, but outside of that I really enjoy the culture and variety of downtown.

I feel like you get that culture and variety in the neighborhoods, especially North of the cut in Ballard, Fremont, Wallingford, U-District, etc. Downtown isn't terrible, there just isn't anything down there that interests me, aside from concerts.

I like the shopping area of downtown (Westlake, Pacific Place) quite a bit although I'll admit I'm not down there often. The last time I was downtown was almost a year ago, for jury duty.

Belltown is a pit.
Yep, that's a great area. Extremely popular so it's always pretty well kept and maintained. I dig it.

I feel like you get that culture and variety in the neighborhoods, especially North of the cut in Ballard, Fremont, Wallingford, U-District, etc. Downtown isn't terrible, there just isn't anything down there that interests me, aside from concerts.
Agreed and I think that's one of the coolest parts of Seattle. Downtown is certainly a different atmosphere from the northern neighborhoods, but by and large you get culture and variety at just about every party in the city.

Except Belltown.

Yep, that's a great area. Extremely popular so it's always pretty well kept and maintained. I dig it.

Agreed and I think that's one of the coolest parts of Seattle. Downtown is certainly a different atmosphere from the northern neighborhoods, but by and large you get culture and variety at just about every party in the city.

Except Belltown.

And Pioneer Square.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I'll always have a special place in my heart for Belltown because that's where I saw my first person get shot and killed <3

Lo_Fi

Hey guys! I'm gonna be moving to Seattle once summer rolls around, anyone got any suggestions for specific areas / apartment complexes? I'd very much like to live within walking distance of Belltown / Pike place market, though it sounds like from the posts above that living specifically in Belltown is a bad idea? My experiences with Belltown has been pretty positive, though I haven't been there much at night by myself, which may be when it gets sketchy.

I'm looking for a 1-bedroom / studio apartment. Also, any estimates on what it may cost? I've looked online a bit, but it's hard to get a sense of a place without being there in person, and I don't currently have a car so I don't have an easy way to get around to a bunch of apartments.

Thanks!

Realistically, Belltown isn't as bad as we make it out to be. That's mostly us lifetime-Seattlietes speaking. I have a number of friends who live there and are very happy with their location. If you find a good deal at a place you like, don't let it deter you from taking it.

cdyhybrid

Hey guys! I'm gonna be moving to Seattle once summer rolls around, anyone got any suggestions for specific areas / apartment complexes? I'd very much like to live within walking distance of Belltown / Pike place market, though it sounds like from the posts above that living specifically in Belltown is a bad idea? My experiences with Belltown has been pretty positive, though I haven't been there much at night by myself, which may be when it gets sketchy.

I'm looking for a 1-bedroom / studio apartment. Also, any estimates on what it may cost? I've looked online a bit, but it's hard to get a sense of a place without being there in person, and I don't currently have a car so I don't have an easy way to get around to a bunch of apartments.

Thanks!
Belltown is bad for Seattle, which is the suburbs for any other big city. If you can afford it that's a convenient location, but it'll cost you.

jb1234

Realistically, Belltown isn't as bad as we make it out to be. That's mostly us lifetime-Seattlietes speaking. I have a number of friends who live there and are very happy with their location. If you find a good deal at a place you like, don't let it deter you from taking it.

It also depends on the part of Belltown. The closer you get to the water (and clubs), the dodgier it gets. I have a friend who lives further up (near Denny) and he loves it.

Pike Place Market.

Haha. I'll be honest, coming from Kansas it blew my mind a little the first time I drove my car onto the ferry, went upstairs to get coffee, and then drove off onto the other shore.

Also the market is great! Pff.

Edit: Aaaaaand I just realized why I was mocked for my statement about the market. Whoops.

coldvein

Banned
well. the current place. its on first hill. its essentially a dorm. like 20 people live in this building and we share 3 bathrooms and 2 kitchens. it sucks. BUT its like 5 blocks from where i go to school, and a few blocks from my job.

i can mostly walk wherever i need to be, which is rad.

if i move, i'll have to drive. but i'll have my own kitchen and i'll only be sharing a bathroom with a couple other people. which would be niiiiice.

jb1234

Hunting for parking on First Hill every day could be a bitch. I guess it depends how much you want that extra space. When I went to school, I stayed in walking distance and was much happier.

So have any of you guys gone to that Art of Video Games exhibit at the EMP? Is it any good?

I haven't been to the EMP in ages but I keep seeing billboards for it around town and the idea sounds pretty cool.

Badgerst3

Do you guys have open mj bars yet?

Hamstersdam?

Need a new place to retire. Wife coming is relative to proximity to some sort of water view.

Crossing fingers for Bellingham.

Eta 2017.

Top Bottom