• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

dLMN8R

Even though possession legal now, it won't be legal to sell pot until November/December of this year. Even then, there are strict regulations around how it will be able to be sold. I don't know if a "pot bar" would meet those requirements.

coldvein

Banned
So have any of you guys gone to that Art of Video Games exhibit at the EMP? Is it any good?

I haven't been to the EMP in ages but I keep seeing billboards for it around town and the idea sounds pretty cool.

i've heard it is good, i plan to go sometime this week hopefully.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
My friends and I were disappointed at how skeletal some of the temporary installations at EMP and the sci-fi museum were. Wouldn't be surprised if the video game one is the same way.

The leather jacket exhibit is cool, though.

Izayoi

Banned
Even though possession legal now, it won't be legal to sell pot until November/December of this year. Even then, there are strict regulations around how it will be able to be sold. I don't know if a "pot bar" would meet those requirements.
It could work. They would need to get a license from the state, but as long as they show that they have proper financial backing and a solid business plan I don't think that there's anything explicitly prohibiting a pot bar.

It could work. They would need to get a license from the state, but as long as they show that they have proper financial backing and a solid business plan I don't think that there's anything explicitly prohibiting a pot bar.

You can't smoke in public places, so I wonder how it would work.

Most bars are privately owned. There are plenty of hookah bars in the state, I don't think this would be any different.

Yeah, there is a hookah bar in the U District on Roosevelt, but I can't think of a bar that lets people smoke cigarettes there. There were some that tried to be do it on the down low after the ban went into effect, but I haven't heard anything since.

edit: I should correct myself. It's an indoor smoking ban (public/private business has nothing to do with it), not a public places smoking ban.

Still not sure how the hookah places do it.
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Hookah--149961445.html
http://www.kplu.org/post/should-hookah-bars-remain-open-despite-washingtons-indoor-smoking-ban
http://www.seattlepi.com/local/article/Hookah-bar-says-it-found-loophole-in-indoor-896618.php

lingiii

Banned
Yeah you can't smoke cigarettes in hookah bars. I saw a no smoking sign on the wall at one and complemented the manager on their little joke, but they said you can't smoke cigarettes. Smoking laws are fucked across the board.

Evlar

Banned
So have any of you guys gone to that Art of Video Games exhibit at the EMP? Is it any good?

I haven't been to the EMP in ages but I keep seeing billboards for it around town and the idea sounds pretty cool.
We went today, actually. It was pretty slim fron the perspective of someone who has been a gaming hobbyist for 30 years, but it isn't worthless. The exhibit is organized by platform, with each "major" system being featured with four standout games apiece. Major systems included Commodore 64 and Master System, but not stuff like Atari Lynx or any handheld platform. PC gaming had two displays: early (DOS and Win95/98) and late (everything after Diablo II). You could interact with video displays to access a little introduction to each game with a brief description of what made it worthy to be included in the exhibit. It was a little hit or miss, and I'm sure no one would be completely satisfied with the choices.

There were several games available to play on big screens: Pac-Man, SMB3, Monkey Island, Myst, and Flower. Those were crowded. Also, the exhibit had several pieces of physical art: a pristine cloth map from an early Ultima game (U3, maybe?), a boxed copy of M.U.L.E., a copy of Halo 2600, a bunch of hand drawn concept art from Blizzard including a troll concept by Metzen, and more.

All in all it was decent for a one-room exhibit. Probably not worth the price of admission alone. The sci-fi/horror display though... That was fucking fantastic.

i've heard it is good, i plan to go sometime this week hopefully.

My friends and I were disappointed at how skeletal some of the temporary installations at EMP and the sci-fi museum were. Wouldn't be surprised if the video game one is the same way.

The leather jacket exhibit is cool, though.

We went today, actually. It was pretty slim fron the perspective of someone who has been a gaming hobbyist for 30 years, but it isn't worthless. The exhibit is organized by platform, with each "major" system being featured with four standout games apiece. Major systems included Commodore 64 and Master System, but not stuff like Atari Lynx or any handheld platform. PC gaming had two displays: early (DOS and Win95/98) and late (everything after Diablo II). You could interact with video displays to access a little introduction to each game with a brief description of what made it worthy to be included in the exhibit. It was a little hit or miss, and I'm sure no one would be completely satisfied with the choices.

There were several games available to play on big screens: Pac-Man, SMB3, Monkey Island, Myst, and Flower. Those were crowded. Also, the exhibit had several pieces of physical art: a pristine cloth map from an early Ultima game (U3, maybe?), a boxed copy of M.U.L.E., a copy of Halo 2600, a bunch of hand drawn concept art from Blizzard including a troll concept by Metzen, and more.

All in all it was decent for a one-room exhibit. Probably not worth the price of admission alone. The sci-fi/horror display though... That was fucking fantastic.
Thanks for the info, guys. Like I said, I haven't been to the EMP in forever (probably 8 years), so even if I did go, the other stuff there would certainly be enough to warrant the price of admission.

Le-mo

What's a good family style restaurant? No Asian food. Spacious, good food, good service. It's for a friend's b-day.

What's a good family style restaurant? No Asian food. Spacious, good food, good service. It's for a friend's b-day.

The Five Spot up on Queen Anne Hill. Or if you like pizza, Tutta Bella on Stone Way in Fremont is great.

Wait, do you mean family friendly restaurant, or do you want a place where the food is served family style?

Bringing back a topic from a few pages ago:

Bitterroot BBQ. Any good?

Also, I realize BBQ ain't really a Seattle thing, but anyone got a strong opinion on what the best BBQ place here is?

I'm craving.

coldvein

Banned

Also, I realize BBQ ain't really a Seattle thing, but anyone got a strong opinion on what the best BBQ place here is?

I'm craving.

uncertain but me and lucky might hit up kickin boot this (i think?) weekend. you would be welcome to join us assuming it happens.

Chichikov

wait, wait .. i can still smoke where!?
Mercury club.
You probably walked past it a million times, it's bellow Auto Battery, no sign on the door, you enter from the alley.
They get away with it by being a members only club (though it's beyond easy to get in or get membership) and having volunteer members work there.

But I'm sure the buzzkill squad will find them sooner or later.

someday

Banned

I'm craving.

I think Jones' BBQ is fantastic. It's in Columbia City and not open on Sundays. It's just off Ranier on Ferdinand.

I think it's still member only (which is how you can smoke in there). You probably know someone with a membership, and they can bring a few friends. IIRC it's an all-black dress code.

Le-mo

The Five Spot up on Queen Anne Hill. Or if you like pizza, Tutta Bella on Stone Way in Fremont is great.

Wait, do you mean family friendly restaurant, or do you want a place where the food is served family style?
family friendly or family style. doesn't matter which. thanks for the suggestions so far.

White Man

hah, you've never been to the merc? it's aiiight at best (lots of wannabe vampire douches tho), the vogue *was* better imo RIP.

Oh man, The Vogue. Good times, good times. The Merc's entertaining but you really have to keep an eye on their calendar. I don't think I've been there in about 3ish years. Quitting drinkin' has really made life so, so, so shitty.

hah, if you were a regular at the vogue, you have probably ran into some of my friends. I know a girl who went practically every weekend and cried when it closed.

D23

where do u guys usually go for sushi?? happy hour preferably

its a toss between Wasabi Bistro, Umisake, Japonessa, and momiji for me

is there anything else?

gryz

Banned

is there anything else?

ive only been to wasabi out of that list, which was awesome, and I've heard good things about umi. also nishino is really good, possibly more "authentic"

D23

ive only been to wasabi out of that list, which was awesome, and I've heard good things about umi. also nishino is really good, possibly more "authentic"

thanks, never heard of nishino before, im gonna have to check it out!

is there anything else?

Ottoto up on Queen Anne Hill was my favorite affordable sushi place, but the landlord raised the rent and they had to close.

I don't eat it much anymore, but I make a point of eating at Shiro's at least once a year.

Japonessa is my favorite. Their happy hour menu is insanely good. And it last a very long time.
These rolls are like $5-$6 each!
DSC04048.jpg

Chichikov

Maneki is by far my favorite Japanese restaurant, though to be honest, sushi is not their strongest suite (it's still very good, but I strongly suggest you don't only eat that when you're there).

zulfate

I literally just got back from a week long seattle trip....my thoughts.....fuck seattle. Our first night there and already sketchy ass people ready to mug us. Another sketchy person asking that we follow him to a better parking spot. Walked around got coffee only for a bum demand i give him my coffee. A fight almost broke out between another bum and a man trying to sell tickets for a rock show....all this within 10 minutes.

oh and the cherry on top was at the end of the night when we were leaving a shitty bar called noc noc we hear a gunshot go off when we looked he was right in front of us trying to gun down this other gangster who was running in the street, ofcourse the shooter missed hitting a innocent women in the arm. Shooter kept shooting across the street. Lol

But i did like the fishermans port lol.

I literally just got back from a week long seattle trip....my thoughts.....fuck seattle. Our first night there and already sketchy ass people ready to mug us. Another sketchy person asking that we follow him to a better parking spot. Walked around got coffee only for a bum demand i give him my coffee. A fight almost broke out between another bum and a man trying to sell tickets for a rock show....all this within 10 minutes.

oh and the cherry on top was at the end of the night when we were leaving a shitty bar called noc noc we hear a gunshot go off when we looked he was right in front of us trying to gun down this other gangster who was running in the street, ofcourse the shooter missed hitting a innocent women in the arm. Shooter kept shooting across the street. Lol

wtf

sounds like a city!

zulfate

Lol i know and the odd part was the comic book convention adding very strange people walking around, i wanted to go :(

I was going to hit Up seattle-gaf members to hangout but i chickened out at the end...i stayed in a small town called puyallip or what i called pimple lip for giving me a fever blister lol.

I was going to hit Up seattle-gaf members to hangout but i chickened out at the end...i stayed in a small town called puyallip or what i called pimple lip for giving me a fever blister lol.
I'm kinda from puyallup. good times. not really super close to seattle, though. I assume you were staying with friends or something?

coldvein

Banned
Lol i know and the odd part was the comic book convention adding very strange people walking around, i wanted to go :(

where are you from?

Honestly doesn't sound like an experience very indicative of what Seattle is actually like. Sorry that had to be your first impression cause literally everyone I know who visits here falls in love with the city immediately.

Also, for what it's worth, Noc Noc is a pretty weird. Can't say I know anyone that ever goes there. It's a shame that's one of the only bars you visited cause we have some much better options just a few blocks over.

watershed

Banned

I know where Noc Noc is but beyond that where were you hanging out? There are rough parts of the city but usually its a tame place.

Top Bottom