• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

lingiii

Banned
man that sucks. I've never gotten out of a place without a landlord fight. haven't resorted to attorneys yet (thankfully) or even in this town so I'm not familiar with the laws and all. best of luck though.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
man that sucks. I've never gotten out of a place without a landlord fight. haven't resorted to attorneys yet (thankfully) or even in this town so I'm not familiar with the laws and all. best of luck though.

Yeah, honestly I'm totally out of my element here. This is the first time I've outright been betrayed like this and I'm pretty upset right now. We had what seemed like a pretty good relationship up until now, and he even thanked my wife and I for being such great tenants.

I don't even know if resorting to an attorney is the answer, but I've never been involved in a legal dispute before.

lingiii

Banned
PSA! Funtimes Music Cool:

This should be fun. Wasn't here last year when it happened, so I can't speak directly. Tix on the cheap for the next couple days. Flaming Lips, Girl Talk, Pickwick (?) headlining.

http://capitolhillblockparty.com/

Also! This group's my favorite live band of all time, from back when I lived in St. Louis. They're pretty chill and folksy most of the time but give 'em a good crowd and they shred it up. I can't go myself, so I'm telling everybody I meet about it.

http://www.ticketweb.com/t3/sale/Sa...=loadSelectionData&eventId=3415244&pl=tractor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo1O8nxeuHE

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Anyone know any good attorneys in the area for a tenant-landlord dispute?

My former landlord is claiming some absolutely ridiculous damage costs as an excuse for not returning my security deposit as well as a "last month's rent" deposit I paid (which was completely separate than the security deposit) for a total of $3,000. He's done a few other things that seem legally suspect, and I'm thinking about pursuing any legal options that may be available to me, but I've never been in a situation like this.

I'll be asking some friends for advice, but figured I'd pop in here to see if anyone has been in a similar situation and knows of a good attorney.

Thanks in advance for any help!

This is sadly quite normal Landlord behavior and some of them even account for it in their planning. The simplest no-cost option is to send him a polite letter objecting, explaining "reasonable wear and tear" and telling him that you have lots of free time, tons of photos of the house and are absolutely prepared to pursue him in court.

When my wife and I moved out of our rental house on Queen Anne, the landlord wents nuts and said we didn't give her enough notice (false) and that we had stolen a bunch of carbon dioxide detectors (false). The Ballard landlord after that was awesome and gave us back the full deposit, no questions asked.

Really nice being a homeowner and not having to deal with that shit anymore. My neihgbors on both sides are renters, and the landlords are terrible. I feel bad for them.

lingiii

Banned
Yeah I should have said, but tip number one is stop talking on the phone with the guy/lady unless it's explicitly for the purpose of negotiating. start putting everything in writing. also request that he do the same. let him know you're not afraid to fight it and start building as much paper trail as you can.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
A relative put me in touch with an attorney friend and he gave me some sound advice, pointing out various Washington statutes that my landlord was in violation of (such as not providing any kind of checklist or written statement detailing the condition of the residence, or providing me with any information about which account the deposit money was stored in). Luckily, almost all of our correspondence has been over email, so I have everything in writing.

I've sent off an email to the landlord requesting that he immediately pay me back the full amount of the deposit, and that if I don't receive proof that he has sent payment within twenty four hours that I will exercise any legal options that are available to me.
Since the total is still under $5,000, the attorney I spoke with recommended I just filing it with the small claims court, so I'm sure I'll end up doing that in the coming days.

Has anyone here had any experience fighting a dispute in small claims court? Any advice?

Calling all Seattle-GAF.

I will be having an extended stay (about 2 months) in Seattle from work starting next week.
The location of my workplace is right south of Cal Anderson Park downtown.

What I need is a place that provides me with amenities such as internet access, kitchen washer/drier.

While we are at it you can also post some stuff I need to see, while I am there. Like insider-stuff that you don't find on the tourist maps or only on the really good ones.

Thanks!

jb1234

'What are you looking for? A hotel? An apartment to rent? Cal Anderson Park is actually not downtown but in the Capitol Hill district (which in some ways is actually cooler because downtown is a pain in the ass and Capitol Hill is awesome).

dLMN8R

Calling all Seattle-GAF.

I will be having an extended stay (about 2 months) in Seattle from work starting next week.
The location of my workplace is right south of Cal Anderson Park downtown.

What I need is a place that provides me with amenities such as internet access, kitchen washer/drier.

While we are at it you can also post some stuff I need to see, while I am there. Like insider-stuff that you don't find on the tourist maps or only on the really good ones.

Thanks!

Don't know about amenities, but as for "insider stuff" you'll be in an awesome location, right in the heart of Capitol Hill. Just walk south toward the Pike/Pine area and explore, and also head north on Broadway to discover some more stuff up there.

First recommendation that pops to mind: head a few blocks north up Broadway to Tacos Chukis. Hidden little mexican place upstairs in Broadway Market. Best fucking tacos I've ever had. Get 2 house tacos and a mini burrito with their adobada, you'll be in heaven.

Second recommendation: For breakfast, try out one or more of the following places: Americana, Glo's, Coastal Kitchen. You'll have to get to them pretty early otherwise you'll be waiting for a while.

All the places I mentioned should be easily walkable from where you're staying. My apartment is just a ~15 minute walk north of there and I walk everywhere, even downtown to Pike Place Market.

'What are you looking for? A hotel? An apartment to rent?

Both would be acceptable, but I would assume that short-term apparment rent is cheaper than a two month hotel stay, plus apartments sound more like they would provide the facilities I need. But hey, I am a blank page, open for everything!

Thanks!

jb1234

Both would be acceptable, but I would assume that short-term apparment rent is cheaper than a two month hotel stay, plus apartments sound more like they would provide the facilities I need. But hey, I am a blank page, open for everything!

Thanks!

Capitol Hill is very residential (albeit expensive) so if you want to have a close commute to work and can afford it, I suggest living there. Most of the larger apartment complexes in the area should have what you need.

Nert

Random question time for people familiar with fighting games:

Now that I've been in Seattle for about a week, I'm starting to look around to see what the fighting game community is like here (or if there is much of one here in the first place). Does anyone here know of any popular arcades or other groups of people grinding out some matches in Seattle? I had a lot of fun playing local matches in SoCal (UMvC3 primarily) and I'm hoping to keep that going now that I'm here. I will continue to research this for myself, but I figured it was worth asking about here on the chance that someone might know.

Now that I've been in Seattle for about a week, I'm starting to look around to see what the fighting game community is like here (or if there is much of one here in the first place). Does anyone here know of any popular arcades or other groups of people grinding out some matches in Seattle? I had a lot of fun playing local matches in SoCal (UMvC3 primarily) and I'm hoping to keep that going now that I'm here. I will continue to research this for myself, but I figured it was worth asking about here on the chance that someone might know.

Arcades are pretty much dead in Seattle.

Capitol Hill is very residential (albeit expensive) so if you want to have a close commute to work and can afford it, I suggest living there. Most of the larger apartment complexes in the area should have what you need.

Do you know any good sites/companies that rent out on short term?

I think Seattle is becoming my favourite city in the US, even if I've never been there or even live in in the US... gotta find me a job there!

PSA! Funtimes Music Cool:

This should be fun. Wasn't here last year when it happened, so I can't speak directly. Tix on the cheap for the next couple days. Flaming Lips, Girl Talk, Pickwick (?) headlining.

http://capitolhillblockparty.com/

Also! This group's my favorite live band of all time, from back when I lived in St. Louis. They're pretty chill and folksy most of the time but give 'em a good crowd and they shred it up. I can't go myself, so I'm telling everybody I meet about it.

http://www.ticketweb.com/t3/sale/Sa...=loadSelectionData&eventId=3415244&pl=tractor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo1O8nxeuHE

worth it for the flaming lips alone.

listing to Pokey LaFarge, not bad.

lingiii

Banned
I actually I have no idea how Pokey will play here. I've only ever seen the band in St. Louis, usually at the end of a tour when they were coming home so I have no idea how big a deal the hometown goodwill contributes to the show. at their top though, they burn down the house. never seen such things done to a washboard.

Gameworks has an AE cab but that's about it. Even then, it's pretty hit or miss, mostly miss.

Your best bet is just to lurk the NW SRK section and see when any events are happening around here. I know we have a pretty decent local scene (particularly Marvel, Marvel has always been a Seattle game), I'm just not plugged into it myself anymore. I've been to a few local tourneys and they had what I would consider good crowds.

It's a ways out, but definitely get tickets to PAX even if only for the top floor game center. People were playing UMvC3 there all day.

Arcades are dead as previously noted (I mean, there are a few fighting game machines at Gameworks, but there is no community or anything), but there are a few places that have groups of players.

I've not been to it, but I believe that GameClucks on the Eastside is the highest level fighting game community meetup in the Seattle area.

http://www.gameclucks.com/

Is there any other option aside from Centurylink in the Central District? This DSL shit is horrible. How does anyone deal with this garbage?

Looks like Wave is an option. Anyone have experience with them?

Nert

Thanks for all of the FGC help! It's a shame to hear about the near total lack of arcades (although in retrospect that's not too surprising).

Is there any other option aside from Centurylink in the Central District? This DSL shit is horrible. How does anyone deal with this garbage?

I've been using Wave for a week now in my new apartment and it seems fine so far. The installation person came on time, they followed up a day later with a phone call to make sure that everything was working okay, and the connection has been very consistent. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that nothing goes wrong down the road.

Chichikov

The internet situation in the CD is fucking dreadful, but it's kinda sad in the US in general.
Good thing we're getting internet from the city soon(ish).

edit: whatever you do, never ever go with Broadstripe, they are the seriously one of the worst companies I ever had the displeasure of doing business with.

Ixian

I recommend joining this Facebook group.

Are you stuck in that weird chunk of the city where Comcast isn't available?

Yes.

I've been using Wave for a week now in my new apartment and it seems fine so far. The installation person came on time, they followed up a day later with a phone call to make sure that everything was working okay, and the connection has been very consistent. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that nothing goes wrong down the road.

Gonna call Wave to set up installation. Someone suggested Verizon FiOS or whatever, but I'm not too familiar with that and if it was anything like my cell phone service was it'll be way too expensive.

pax217

Looking for any/more church rec's; went to the previously rec'd ones (with exception of Ballard First Lutheran, planning on going next Sunday) and didn't necessarily feel at "home" with any of them... thanks in advance, all.

On another note, I have my house in Normandy Park, but recently purchased a place in Queen Anne because I'll be downtown so much in the next few years (office was moved to Russell Investments Building on at 2nd & Union). I've been driving into town for the last five years and parking in my respective building's garage, but now plan on walking most of the time when I'm staying at the condo. I wear a suit everyday, do you guys have any unique tips for walking such a distance (about 1.5mi) downtown and keeping myself presentable & attire in decent shape on a daily basis?

Thanks again.

Looking for any/more church rec's; went to the previously rec'd ones (with exception of Ballard First Lutheran, planning on going next Sunday) and didn't necessarily feel at "home" with any of them... thanks in advance, all.

There's one I drive by on 145th in Lake City that has a rainbow flag and says everyone welcome, and seems to have community events and stuff. Generally the things on church signs make me want to vomit, but their sign generally doesn't. That's about the extent of constructive information I can offer on the topic of churches.

I wear a suit everyday... and keeping myself presentable & attire in decent shape on a daily basis?

Thanks again.

Are you sure you live in Seattle?

Thanks again.

Can I ask if there is some specific type of church feel / theology that you are looking for? Seems like you might be looking for something kinda specific and it might help to have a better idea what you have in mind.

dubc35

There's one I drive by on 145th in Lake City that has a rainbow flag and says everyone welcome, and seems to have community events and stuff. Generally the things on church signs make me want to vomit, but their sign generally doesn't. That's about the extent of constructive information I can offer on the topic of churches.

Are you sure you live in Seattle?

Ha, no kidding. Work for Expeditors?

pax217

There's one I drive by on 145th in Lake City that has a rainbow flag and says everyone welcome, and seems to have community events and stuff. Generally the things on church signs make me want to vomit, but their sign generally doesn't. That's about the extent of constructive information I can offer on the topic of churches

I know it's pretty common for churches around here to "welcome all" so they aren't run out of the society. It's entertaining to see a lot of those signs say the ridiculous things they do.

Do what the bicyclists do: change when you get to work.

This is really the only thing I can think of, plus it would allow me to run to work and run home, getting in the exercise as part of my commute... Just need a proper solution to this, thought about a gym membership somewhere that can offer a shower, etc? I know the WAC is like six blocks up, but I just don't value it at what it costs. Should I just bring an umbrella when I think I'll need it and that'll be that?

The daily suit thing is because everyone but me in our sixteen person office is either from the northeast, or went to school there. I'm a lone-Dawg in that office.

Can I ask if there is some specific type of church feel / theology that you are looking for? Seems like you might be looking for something kinda specific and it might help to have a better idea what you have in mind.

We're just looking for a Christian (any denomination is fine, I guess) church, really. That's pretty broad, but I can tell you what we didn't like about the other churches we tried:

City Church seemed really full of itself; loud and proud, the worship was just a concert (which the vast majority of churches do now, I know) and the congregation just felt like it was there because that's where they go on Sundays, not necessarily for the fellowship or message that churches (are supposed to) bring. No offense to anyone at City Church, of course. It was nice, just not our style. We may try it again, anyway.

Mars Hill; we didn't like Mark Driscoll (or what he has to say, more-or-less). I don't want to go into details because I don't want to start an argument. Again, it's really popular and I'm sure that's for a reason, just not for us.

I am looking forward to First Lutheran in Ballard, something that seems more traditional (or at least "quieter"), we just haven't had the opportunity to get there yet.

Thanks all.

Also, to add my Seattle .02, we went to "Prost!" in West Seattle last night... great bar! Serving only German imports by the half or one liter, we really enjoyed ourselves over a few large beers and bratwurst. Anyone else been here? I think there's one in Greenlake, too, according to Google. Are they related?

pax217

Thanks for all of the FGC help! It's a shame to hear about the near total lack of arcades (although in retrospect that's not too surprising).

Have you guys heard of "Condo Internet"? I'm not sure how widely available it is (only a handful of buildings, I think), but it was an option I came across when considering my choices in Queen Anne. I went with Comcast since I already have an account with them at the house, the connection in the condo though falls off a cliff on a regular basis for about 15 minute periods. It's odd because I've had Comcast for years in Normandy Park and I've never had that issue once.

http://www.condointernet.net/

Have you tried Bethany Community Church?

e* http://churchbcc.org/visit/locations

That was rec'd to me by a co-worker a few weeks ago and I completely forgot about it. Thanks!

dubc35

If I were to work in the South Lake Union area, where would I want to live in Seattle?

To give good recommendations, we'd probably need more information. What kind of neighborhood do you want to live in? Party central? Single family homes? Rent/buy? How much do you want to spend per month? etc.

not knowing any of that, Queen Anne, Capitol Hill, Fremont, Wallingford, Ballard would all be nice places to live IMO. Each has their own style though so better defining what you're looking for would help.

\/ yes, good point

Mobius 1

I'd like to use public transportation, if reliable.

It could be an apartment, couple with no children. I don't really know how much to spend, I'd imagine something around $1500?

Sounds like I need to research the city a little more before pursuing this job.

cdyhybrid

It could be an apartment, couple with no children. I don't really know how much to spend, I'd imagine something around $1500?

Queen Anne and Capitol Hill would be the closest neighborhoods.

There are a few buildings closer to the SLU area (on Mercer St. for example).

jb1234

Sounds like it's between Queen Anne and Capitol Hill. The former is a little more residential while the latter is grittier and has more character (and better night life). Both are very doable if you're willing to spend that much for rent (you could even get a two bedroom for that if you wanted) and both have good bus service to South Lake Union.

Ixian

Have you guys heard of "Condo Internet"? I'm not sure how widely available it is (only a handful of buildings, I think), but it was an option I came across when considering my choices in Queen Anne. I went with Comcast since I already have an account with them at the house, the connection in the condo though falls off a cliff on a regular basis for about 15 minute periods. It's odd because I've had Comcast for years in Normandy Park and I've never had that issue once.

http://www.condointernet.net/
Condo Internet is so ridiculous that I seriously contemplated moving just so I could have it.

Mobius 1

Queen Anne and Capitol Hill would be the closest neighborhoods.

There are a few buildings closer to the SLU area (on Mercer St. for example).

Sounds like it's between Queen Anne and Capitol Hill. The former is a little more residential while the latter is grittier and has more character (and better night life). Both are very doable if you're willing to spend that much for rent (you could even get a two bedroom for that if you wanted) and both have good bus service to South Lake Union.

I live in Redmond and work in south lake union. I take the bus everyday, it works well.

To give good recommendations, we'd probably need more information. What kind of neighborhood do you want to live in? Party central? Single family homes? Rent/buy? How much do you want to spend per month? etc.

not knowing any of that, Queen Anne, Capitol Hill, Fremont, Wallingford, Ballard would all be nice places to live IMO. Each has their own style though so better defining what you're looking for would help.

\/ yes, good point

Add to the post above, how do you plan on commuting to work?

Thanks. I will do some reading about the city, and tell myself I could live with overcast gray skies for most of the year.

Top Bottom