• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

Chichikov

I was looking 1 bed 1 bath. Sq. Ft. doesn't matter as much, but I would like a little space. And I want to be out of the city a little bit, I will look into N. Seattle a little and see some apartments around there.
You can definitely get something like that in the city for that price range.
But when you say you want to be out of the city, what are you looking for?
Suburbia?
Small towns?
Beastiality?
We got that all.

As a homeowner, I have absolutely no idea what rents are like here in Greenlake, but there apartments everywhere. Tons on my block right near the urban village area.

jb1234

As a homeowner, I have absolutely no idea what rents are like here in Greenlake, but there apartments everywhere. Tons on my block right near the urban village area.

And Greenlake has the benefit of being a gorgeous area. I'd live there myself if I didn't enjoy Capitol Hill's wildness so much. ;)

I will definitely keep that in mind. 700-900 is around what I would like to pay, but if I have to pay a little more for a nicer location it is an option.

Trust me, you'll be thanking all of us if your commute is 15-20 minutes instead of an hour (which it likely would be in Kent during rush hour).

Lenz44

Banned
Take a look at Greenlake, Ballard and Fremont. The latter two might be out of your price range. I'm not sure what rent goes for up there these days. I just suggest dodging the southern suburbs as much as possible. There's a lot of crime down there, among other things.

I will definitely keep that in mind. 700-900 is around what I would like to pay, but if I have to pay a little more for a nicer location it is an option.

Lenz44

Banned
Reporting back in after a little searching, found some areas on Mercer and in Shoreline that I like. Curious to what the commute is like from those areas to downtown (either through public transit or driving).

cdyhybrid

Reporting back in after a little searching, found some areas on Mercer and in Shoreline that I like. Curious to what the commute is like from those areas to downtown (either through public transit or driving).

Mercer is basically there. Probably easier to take a bus unless you're getting free parking from work. Shoreline is about a 15-20 minute drive depending on traffic.

jb1234

Mercer would be okay, although I'm not sure what section of Seattle you're referring to. The street runs all the way from the Seattle Center up to Capitol Hill. It sounds like you wanted to be a little further away from the city and it's definitely in the thick of things, although the commute is very easy. Shoreline's a bit further north. 15-20 minutes driving (non-rush hour) or anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour using the bus, depending on traffic and the bus line.

Yeah the commute south from Shoreline during peak hours is pretty fucking horrible. I work in Wallingford (nearby Fremont) and if I hit traffic on I-5, just trying to get to Wallingford can take me close to 50 mins.

jb1234

Yeah the commute south from Shoreline during peak hours is pretty fucking horrible. I work in Wallingford (nearby Fremont) and if I hit traffic on I-5, just trying to get to Wallingford can take me close to 50 mins.

Yeah, that sounds about right. I-5 is a nightmare during those hours. On the bright side, at least you don't work downtown. :|

What hours are these? Because leaving downtown by bus around 5PM when I used to work there only took me about 40 minutes to get to Northgate. Sure, that was an express bus, but it didn't fly or anything...

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow

I hope you don't mean any part of Mercer between 5th Ave N and the highway ramps. That stretch is currently and will continue to be a construction war zone for at least the next year.

The Queen Anne end of Mercer has numerous downtown buses nearly 24 hours a day; the South Lake Union portion of the street is close enough to easily walk downtown. There's very little metro service directly in that area.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Yeah, but then you're in WALLINGFORD.

Also, what is update on ramen?

Holy shit. The I-5 bridge over the Skagit river around Mount Vernon collapsed.

Wat

HOLY FUCKING SHIT

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today/2013/05/bridge-collapses-on-interstate-5-over-skagit-river/

Non-Seattle GAF, this is the main freeway on the northwest coast.

_woLf

Jesus, I hope everyone who was on the bridge is okay. This is the kind of shit I fear for every single time I drive across the I5 bridge connecting Portland and Vancouver. Hopefully this gets the idiots in the capitols to agree on something to replace it before it's too late.

I don't know much about this particular bridge, is it old? Have they been wanting to replace it? etc, etc

Stinkles

I have driven across it dozens of times. People are NOT going to be ok. It is always busy and the river is deep, cold and far below the bridge.

Christ.

And this was basically the end of rush hour. Fuck.

King said its about a 30 foot drop. No specific warning with this specific bridge, but poor safety ratings across the board.

Yep. This is the main road between Seattle and Vancouver, BC.

Stinkles

King said its about a 30 foot drop. No specific warning with this specific bridge, but poor safety ratings across the board.

Yep. This is the main road between Seattle and Vancouver, BC.

Fingers crossed. Seatbelts and quick thinking might make it survivable for adults. Daylight helps. Ugh.

pax217

Hope all is well with everyone in Seattle-GAF. Prayers to anyone affected by bridge collapse (sounds like everyone is alright?).

why dont we fix all of the bridges

Because the state takes road and gas taxes and spends them on other things like private cars and jets for numerous aides and such. It's a shame. Especially knowing that an event like this won't change a thing.

This isn't an edit, because the paragraph above is still true-- but the bridge collapsed because of a truck hitting it, not some organically occurring structure failure. I wasn't aware of that.

####

Not to change the subject, but we've got a three day weekend coming up. The SO and I are looking for things to do... walks, hikes, eats, whatever. Looking for suggestions.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I'm getting really scared about finding a place to live. My work schedule has me out the door between 3:30 and 4:30am, so it needs to be close enough to the Westlake or Downtown area that I can walk or bike since the buses don't run that early. Apartments in my price range don't exist in this area, and there are literally no rooms for rent on Craigslist that hit the criteria either -- location-wise, they're all too far north or south.

cdyhybrid

I'm getting really scared about finding a place to live. My work schedule has me out the door between 3:30 and 4:30am, so it needs to be close enough to the Westlake or Downtown area that I can walk or bike since the buses don't run that early. Apartments in my price range don't exist in this area, and there are literally no rooms for rent on Craigslist that hit the criteria either -- location-wise, they're all too far north or south.

Have you looked into those short-term car reservations/rentals? I can't think of a name of a company or what they're actually called, damnit.

What's your price range?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Have you looked into those short-term car reservations/rentals? I can't think of a name of a company or what they're actually called, damnit.

What's your price range?

I'm not sure what rental services you're referring to, but I can't imagine how that would be realistically cost-effective for a full-time 5-days-a-week job if I'm trying to cut down on outgoing cash flow.

Currently paying $800/mo, which has been [borderline] doable, but I'm unable to save any money. I need to get my rent down in the >$600 area or I'll be flat broke for the rest of my life. My savings were wiped out by being unemployed for two months, and there are numerous larger expenses waiting to be dealt with or heading my way soon (student loans, IRS, medical/dental costs with no insurance, etc). My rent is being raised by $125 at the end of June/start of July and that's just too much, so I can stay here for exactly one more month.

cdyhybrid

I'm not sure what rental services you're referring to, but I can't imagine how that would be realistically cost-effective for a full-time 5-days-a-week job if I'm trying to cut down on outgoing cash flow.

Currently paying $800/mo, which has been [borderline] doable, but I'm unable to save any money. My savings were wiped out by being unemployed for two months, and there are numerous larger expenses waiting to be dealt with or heading my way soon (student loans, IRS, medical/dental costs with no insurance, etc). My rent is being raised by $125 at the end of June/start of July and that's just too much, so I can stay here for exactly one more month.

I just remembered one, ZipCar. Yeah, not sure how realistic it would be because I've never used it.

Depending on how far you're willing to bike, you could maybe find a place in the U-District for that price.

dubc35

I haven't been keeping up with rent rates in 4 years or so but I would think at the $600 range close to Westlake and downtown you're looking at living in an apartment with other people.

e* re-read that and it kind of seemed to come out negative. I didn't mean it that way. :)

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
No worries. I know I'll need to be living with other people now, but there aren't any roommate situations that I can find which are also somewhat near my job. U District or west Seattle are probably my only options, and that's quite a way to go at 4am. :\

D23

wow. worst morning commute ever. so they shut down i5 southbound by Seattle. I'm late for everything. traffic is soooooo baddd

dubc35

I mostly missed it. The express lanes slowed down (mostly people slowing to look at the wrecked truck I think) but it wasn't bad. Only good thing about being on the road to work ~515-530.

2Crisis

welp I guess I can officially post in this thread now. Just moved into my apartment today.
Ended up in downtown Bellevue since my job is pretty much right next to Lake Sammamish.

So far I've hit up:

Pagliacci's Pizza in Bellevue - Got a spicy Pepperoni and a Mac & Jack's African Amber. Pizza was good, The beer wasn't anything special.
VbIdJkR.jpg

Elysian Tangletown in Greenlake - Hit this up for Happy hour with some relatives. Had the Black Bean Dip and Polenta cake for appetizer, Chicken club for dinner, and the Perseus Porter to drink. Appetizers were great, sandwich was ok, and I thought the porter was great.

Today I hit up Potbelly sandwich shop in Bellevue. I guess this is a chain but we didn't have any in Tempe, AZ. it was really good.

If anyone has any recommendations (beer, food, or otherwise), especially Bellevue area, let me know!

cdyhybrid

welp I guess I can officially post in this thread now. Just moved into my apartment today.
Ended up in downtown Bellevue since my job is pretty much right next to Lake Sammamish.

So far I've hit up:

Pagliacci's Pizza in Bellevue - Got a spicy Pepperoni and a Mac & Jack's African Amber. Pizza was good, The beer wasn't anything special.

Elysian Tangletown in Greenlake - Hit this up for Happy hour with some relatives. Had the Black Bean Dip and Polenta cake for appetizer, Chicken club for dinner, and the Perseus Porter to drink. Appetizers were great, sandwich was ok, and I thought the porter was great.

Today I hit up Potbelly sandwich shop in Bellevue. I guess this is a chain but we didn't have any in Tempe, AZ. it was really good.

If anyone has any recommendations (beer, food, or otherwise), especially Bellevue area, let me know!

I ate dinner at Monsoon East in Bellevue yesterday, it was pretty damn good. Could check that out.

Bellevue sucks. :)

Now that I've gotten that out of the way, welcome. Glad you got into the city and enjoyed my neighborhood (Greenlake).

As for Eastside beer recs, Black Raven in Redmond is awesome, doesn't get better. Bellevue Brewing is ok, too. But seriously, Black Raven.

dubc35

Ah good old Mac & Jacks. That was one of the gateway beers for me to newer better beers when I was ~18/19. The other main one being Henry Weinhards. I grew up in the midwest. The options were Busch Light or Miller Lite, lol.

D23

HOLY SHIT JUST MY LUCK!!

so here i am, sun tanning outside my car on 405 s cuz a fucking semi decided to flip

this is about 6 or 7 cars in front of me, its literally a parking lot here. at least im getting a good tan though
946653_10152872120210654_1725295467_n.jpg

this is gonna be a second worst morning communite to me in less than a week. awesome. thanks semi truck who keeps flipping on a freeway

cdyhybrid

HOLY SHIT JUST MY LUCK!!

so here i am, sun tanning outside my car on 405 s cuz a fucking semi decided to flip

this is about 6 or 7 cars in front of me, its literally a parking lot here. at least im getting a good tan though
946653_10152872120210654_1725295467_n.jpg

this is gonna be a second worst morning communite to me in less than a week. awesome. thanks semi truck who keeps flipping on a freeway

Well, there are worse days to be stuck out on the freeway, I suppose.

Top Bottom