• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

Tomorrow is gonna be even better. I'll be running around 730 am tomorrow. Come cheer on the runners!

If I have a soccer game on the east side at 1 PM, how is the run going to fuck up my drive?

(My favorite pizza place up here was New York Pizza in Maple Leaf. They've been gone for awhile. After them, I loved Snoos Junction in Ballard/Greenwood. They too are gone)

dubc35

If I have a soccer game on the east side at 1 PM, how is the run going to fuck up my drive?

(My favorite pizza place up here was New York Pizza in Maple Leaf. They've been gone for awhile. After them, I loved Snoos Junction in Ballard/Greenwood. They too are gone)
I used to live in the apts across the street from ny pizza place, good pizza but overpriced and their hours were laughable.

It's been briefly touched on in the past, but let's put it all on the table right now: best pizza in Seattle?

I got one from Bambino's in Belltown last night that changed everything. Meats from Salumi, Castelvetrano olives, smoked moz, ricotta, portobello, fresh basil. Crust is thin, foldable, floppy, with an outer ring that's still substantial enough to hang onto. Wonderful spots of crisp char from the wood oven, chewy interior, clean and mellow-tasting dough... Lordy, this was a phenomenal pie.

Still need to try Piecora, but Bambino's easily put what I've had at Pagliacci, Zeek's, and Big Mario's to shame.
Ballard Pizza Co. on Ballard Ave. is really freaking good. The slices are humungous, get one and you're set. Also they're $2 Sunday-Thursday nights.

Ermc_G6

I was in the wrong neighborhood for google fiber when I lived in KC, and now I'm in the wrong place again!

Fiber internet constantly eludes me.

NZer

Ok it seems some of my family (and perhaps even me) are considering moving to Seattle. How is the housing market there? Is it possible to get something that'll comfortably house a young couple (say a 2 bed place) centrally for 400K or less? Not sure how much the bank would lend me, but my trying to wait out the Auckland market has meant I've accumulated a massive deposit lol.

dubc35

Ok it seems some of my family (and perhaps even me) are considering moving to Seattle. How is the housing market there? Is it possible to get something that'll comfortably house a young couple (say a 2 bed place) centrally for 400K or less? Not sure how much the bank would lend me, but my trying to wait out the Auckland market has meant I've accumulated a massive deposit lol.

The housing market is strong but you should have quite a few options in that range (obviously can vary greatly by location). Widemere real estate, IMO, has some of the pricier places for sale but I like their website. It should give you an idea on prices vs location.

Windemere.com (Seattle, <$400k usd, 2+ bdrms)

samoht75

Not sure how much the bank would lend me, but my trying to wait out the Auckland market has meant I've accumulated a massive deposit lol.

One thing to note if you do make the move, the mortgage companies all required a lot of historical tax, pay, bank, expense information to approve the mortgage which was expected but doing all the forex stuff and co-ordinating it all between countries was a pain. We moved from the UK but I'm a kiwi so we had documents coming from all over the place. I'd rather never do that again.

Ermc_G6

My impression is that housing has been a bit crazy depending on where you want to live. I had a really hard time finding an apartment until I ended up meeting a land lord who just owned a few houses and sort of did things his own way.

Sure there is lots of stuff to the north and south, but the commute can be long if you have businesses downtown.

Gigabit Squared today unveiled residential pricing for the ultra-high-speed fiber-to-the-home broadband network it plans to launch locally in 2014.
images

The Gigabit Squared fiber network will initially be made available to neighborhoods located within the University of Washington West Campus District, First Hill, Capitol Hill and Central Area of Seattle as part of a program called Gigabit Seattle.

448715-reaction_guys_disappointed_super.jpg

Cfh123

Rather than starting a new thread, any recommendations for a two day stay in Seattle?

I've lived in Vancouver for 15 years and have yet to go to Seattle. I'm going Sunday to Tuesday and staying at a hotel a few blocks from the Pike Market.

I like wandering around and taking photographs. I will have my car but would rather not have to drive places if I can avoid it.

cdyhybrid

Rather than starting a new thread, any recommendations for a two day stay in Seattle?

I've lived in Vancouver for 15 years and have yet to go to Seattle. I'm going Sunday to Tuesday and staying at a hotel a few blocks from the Pike Market.

I like wandering around and taking photographs. I will have my car but would rather not have to drive places if I can avoid it.

Pike Place is probably the default place to start. Capitol Hill if you're looking for a more hip, younger neighborhood. Probably a lot of good people-watching there too. UW's campus has some great photo material (especially if the skies are clear), and Fremont and Ballard are some quirky suburban neighborhoods that are nice to explore.

Nert

I actually live just a block away from Pike Place Market and I'd be happy to show you around a bit (depending on your schedule, of course). And yeah, bringing a car to Pike Place is really rough. The parking rates for the adjacent lots are absurd.

Cfh123

I actually live just a block away from Pike Place Market and I'd be happy to show you around a bit (depending on your schedule, of course). And yeah, bringing a car to Pike Place is really rough. The parking rates for the adjacent lots are absurd.

PM sent...

blurrygil

I hate Seattle traffic when it rains. HATE HATE HATE.

Oh, and the 545 out to work...I hate you Cap Hill'ers that pack the bus like a gawddamn sardine can. :-(

*Disclaimer: I don't actually "hate" those on the bus...just venting. I left early and was still late for work.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I hate Seattle traffic when it rains. HATE HATE HATE.

Oh, and the 545 out to work...I hate you Cap Hill'ers that pack the bus like a gawddamn sardine can. :-(

*Disclaimer: I don't actually "hate" those on the bus...just venting. I left early and was still late for work.

Ha, I ride the 545 to work every day, but I get on at bear creek, so I get prime seats. When do you ride?

I think this weekend is when it starts getting hot!

Concept17

So I live here now!

Well out in Lynnwood. Moved my family and I here. (wife and 3 kids)

We plan on moving somewhere a little closer to Seattle after our lease here is over in a year.

That being said, does anyone have any recommendations for things to do that -don't- cost a lot of money north of Seattle? We've been to Martha Lake and Lynndale park, but that's about it. We're not much for swimming, but need somewhere nice to go to just hang out or relax, let my kids run around, etc...

EDIT: How's the park at Bothell Landing?

dubc35

Wow, no "It's so hot!' posts yet. I figured there would be a couple. Nice weather out though. I'm not minding it. My house seems to soak heat in though. :(

So I live here now!

Well out in Lynnwood. Moved my family and I here. (wife and 3 kids)
Congrats and welcome! Sorry I'm not familiar with the Lynnwood area so I don't have any recommendations.

Paches

Wow, no "It's so hot!' posts yet. I figured there would be a couple. Nice weather out though. I'm not minding it. My house seems to soak heat in though. :(

Congrats and welcome! Sorry I'm not familiar with the Lynnwood area so I don't have any recommendations.

First run this year where I could feel that the heat was affecting me. I prefer light rain when I am exercising.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
It's gonna be hot today. I'm so glad I have an air conditioner. I bought it 12 years ago and it can really only cool my bedroom, but that's enough for me.

jb1234

Yeah. Now 95? THAT'S too hot. I've basically been sprawled out in front of my fan in the living room, under the piano.

cdyhybrid

Finally managed to get to sleep at like 12:30 last night, even though I was dead tired from Paradiso. I think it's because I placed my fan in a better spot :p

We get back to Seattle around 5pm tomorrow. Kiddo has an AC unit her room, but the wife and I will probably sleep on the hide-a-bed in the basement.

coldvein

Banned
The little or big one? The big one is the toughest hike I've done and Snow Lake is the most beautiful trail I've hiked.

big one. really enjoyed it! we started later in the day .. it was still pretty warm and humid but being in shade most of the way helped. had cooled off nicely on the way down. got beer and a burger at the north bend bar and grill. good day. we took some pics, i might post some in here, tho i guess its probably pretty familiar stuff for most people..

Was it really 95 on the hill? I think it only got to about 91 where I am. Wasn't too bad, still waiting on dat 100+ HEAT.

im ready.

muu

anything interesting happening in Seattle this weekend? I'll be visiting friends while dropping my bike off for Seattle to Portland.

Top Bottom