• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

blurrygil

For you local, gaming geek-like nerd folks; come check out our super-rad show:

SRGEforumBanner.png~original

Seattle Retro Gaming Expo 2013
July 13th & 14th
Seattle Center NW Rooms in Seattle, WA
Tickets: $20 for both days; $15 single-day <Pre-Reg ends TONIGHT @ 9PM, 7/2!!>

For all ticket purchases, information on events, etc: >>SeattleRetro.org Website<<

Facebook Page: Seattle Retro on Facebook
Twitter Account: @SeattleRetro

More in the forum link below:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=67741681#post67741681

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Fuck this heat. Moved out of Georgia to get away from weather like this. At least there our house had AC.

We bought our house from old white people who worked in contracting. And it has AC. Glorious, efficient, full house AC. My kitchen floor is a fucking miracle on ice.

x2KnDYX.jpg

Stinkles

Officers find pig in sweatpants, panting dog, poop inside sweltering car

At about 9 p.m. Saturday in Magnolia, a concerned witness dialed 911 to report a dog and pig contained in a hot car.

And the story just gets stranger from there.

Officers arrived at the parked car, located in the area of West Bertona Street and Gilman Avenue West, according to Seattle police reports, where the witness had opened an unlocked door to the car to cool off the animals.

Though nighttime, the outside temperature still lingered at 86 degrees, police reports say.

Officers found a small, panting dog and a large pot-bellied pig, which was dressed in sweatpants instead of more weather-appropriate summer attire.

The car also contained empty food and water bowls, and the interior was covered in feces.

Police offered the animals fresh water and found their owner at a nearby bar, according to Seattle police.

After warning the owner about leaving animals without water in a hot car, the man grew agitated and asked officers to show him the poop in the vehicle. Police indulged him.

Because the man lives outside of Seattle, the case will be turned over to Renton Animal Control.

ctrl-F "Renton" --- aaawww yeah.

No need for AC in the condo, my family and I just spend all our time at one of the Kirkland waterfront beaches. We don't even go home until it's already starting to cool off. Don't see any real reason to not be in the water pretty much 24/7 outside of work.

Getting exited for our Shaw Island camping trip with some friends this weekend, we're going late in the weekend as opposed to early (Sun->Tues) to avoid a bit of the holiday / weekend ferry rush.

Stinkles

No need for AC in the condo, my family and I just spend all our time at one of the Kirkland waterfront beaches. We don't even go home until it's already starting to cool off. Don't see any real reason to not be in the water pretty much 24/7 outside of work.

Getting exited for our Shaw Island camping trip with some friends this weekend, we're going late in the weekend as opposed to early (Sun->Tues) to avoid a bit of the holiday / weekend ferry rush.

Go to the Volleyball beach and get in a fight with a dudebro and then throw your Kidd Valley burger at him.

dubc35

Today is much cooler than previous days. I woke up butt ass cold last night though. The AC was blazing. No need for it tonight. My wife had bought a window unit a couple years ago and we pulled it out yesterday...not sure why we waited until yesterday but whatever.

GSR

Hey Seattle-GAF, I'm in Redmond sans car and I'm wondering what my options are for tomorrow. I'm thinking bus into Seattle in the early PM, chill downtown for a while, then bus back in the evening and catch the Bellevue fireworks, since I know Gasworks gets nuts and it'd be a huge pain to get back via bus after it was over. Any opinions?

dLMN8R

I've gone to Magnuson Park for the last few years for fireworks and it's always great. You can see a bunch of different shows from the one beach, and it doesn't get as crazy-crowded either. Get there in early afternoon and you'll have an effortless prime location.

GSR

I've gone to Magnuson Park for the last few years for fireworks and it's always great. You can see a bunch of different shows from the one beach, and it doesn't get as crazy-crowded either. Get there in early afternoon and you'll have an effortless prime location.

I've heard of that as well. It sounds great, but like I said my only way to get around is the bus, so I'm not super hot on the idea of being in Seattle when the shows are over. (Plus it's pretty hard to bring blankets/etc. when you're going by bus). Will definitely keep it in mind though.

Has anyone been to the Bellevue show?

Ermc_G6

So do you guys have any favorite local bands that are worth checking out?

I had a few hometown favorites that I liked to go see, because the tickets were usually pretty cheap, and I sort of knew some of the people.

Out here all the bands that I know of / like have ticket prices a bit out of reach while I'm job hunting.

So do you guys have any favorite local bands that are worth checking out?

I had a few hometown favorites that I liked to go see, because the tickets were usually pretty cheap, and I sort of knew some of the people.

Out here all the bands that I know of / like have ticket prices a bit out of reach while I'm job hunting.

Math and Physics Club, Seapony, Lemolo.

Any recommendations for parking at a Mariner's game?

Haven't been to a game in years and I got a ticket from my boss and I'm going with him and a few co-workers to the game tonight.

I'll probably leave a bit early to avoid the traffic, but if there's anywhere with a good location or a cheaper price I'd welcome the suggestions.

dubc35

Any recommendations for parking at a Mariner's game?

Haven't been to a game in years and I got a ticket from my boss and I'm going with him and a few co-workers to the game tonight.

I'll probably leave a bit early to avoid the traffic, but if there's anywhere with a good location or a cheaper price I'd welcome the suggestions.

You've probably left already but I used to go early, park on 1st and pregame at Hooverville then walk to the stadium. That was years ago though. The team is dogshit so I can't imagine it will be too busy. e* they're playing Boston so maybe a bit more busy than normal.

coldvein

Banned
man, Rodney McKay didn't pick the best Mariners game to go to, thats for sure .. shit was like watching the beginning parts of Major League before the team miraculously coalesces and becomes great .. ie the part where they comically suck

i was there too :(

dubc35

man, Rodney McKay didn't pick the best Mariners game to go to, thats for sure .. shit was like watching the beginning parts of Major League before the team miraculously coalesces and becomes great .. ie the part where they comically suck

i was there too :(

That's been about the last 10 years for the M's, and the reason I haven't been to a game in about 4 years.

coldvein

Banned
That's been about the last 10 years for the M's, and the reason I haven't been to a game in about 4 years.

i've been to seven or eight this season. it always works out that i never am there when felix or iwakuma are pitching .. somehow i end up there on aaron harangutang nights only .. ah well. always a good time, still.

dLMN8R

So hikers in Seattle - do you have a good list of your favorite trails and some details of each? Looking to branch out from the regulars done to death over the last few years. Here are my contributions:

Tiger Mountain - Chirico trailhead
  • 4 mile round trip (2 up, 2 down)
  • Difficult, fast elevation gain
  • Close to seattle (~25 minutes away in Issaquah)
  • 2 incredible viewpoints
Little Si
  • A bit easier than Tiger in difficulty
  • ~40 minutes from Seattle
  • Amazing viewpoint at the top
Big Si
  • 8 mile round trip (4 up, 4 down)
  • Same difficulty as Little Si, just long
  • ~45 minutes from Seattle (just past Little Si)
  • Amazing viewpoints, haystack at the top for the adventurous
Cougar Mountain
Rattlesnake Ledge
  • ~2 miles up/down
  • ~45 minutes from Seattle
  • Moderate difficulty, not too bad
  • Great viewpoints from the top (others are better though)

coldvein

Banned
So hikers in Seattle - do you have a good list of your favorite trails and some details of each? Looking to branch out from the regulars done to death over the last few years. Here are my contributions:

Tiger Mountain - Chirico trailhead
  • Difficult, fast elevation gain
  • Close to seattle (~25 minutes away in Issaquah)
  • 2 incredible viewpoints
Little Si
  • A bit easier than Tiger in difficulty
  • ~40 minutes from Seattle
  • Amazing viewpoint at the top
Big Si
  • 8 mile round trip (4 up, 4 down)
  • Same difficulty as Little Si, just long
  • ~45 minutes from Seattle (just past Little Si)
  • Amazing viewpoints, haystack at the top for the adventurous
Cougar Mountain
Rattlesnake Ledge
  • ~2 miles up/down
  • ~45 minutes from Seattle
  • Moderate difficulty, not too bad
  • Great viewpoints from the top (others are better though)

yes! would love some more hiking recommendations myself. i've done lil si a bunch of times, regular si once, some tiger and cougar mountain, and that rattlesnake ledge thing. (so pretty much exactly what you covered, ha).

view from the top-wise, mt si and rattlesnake ledge are my favorites. the thing that bugged me about rattlesnaked ledge was when i got up there there were like 60 other people. i'd like more hikes with less people. IE higher level of difficulty + further away from seattle i guess.

if i remember correctly, from that rattlesnake ledge you can continue hiking up the mountain, which could help escape the crowds i guess .. might try that next.

dubc35

Sorry, don't have time to add details but some of the hikes I used to really like....when I hiked more often, lol.

Mt Pilchuck
Snow Lake
Lake Twenty-Two
Three Fingers
Lake Serene
Copper Ridge Trail in North Cascade NP

Never did but wanted to:
Mt Pugh
Mailbox Peak
Ruth Mountain

edit2, summitpost.org, cascadeclimbers.com, and nwhikers.net are all great websites to use for hiking. The trip reports section in the forum on CC.com, some breathtaking pictures in there

Stinkles

wat

Jul 18, 2013

Police stop man’s Capitol Hill office chair joy ride

A 29-year-old man was reported to Seattle police early Thursday morning when witnesses spotted him rolling around the west side of Capitol Hill in an office chair.

At about 2:30 a.m., responding officers found him near Lakeview Boulevard and East Highland Drive.

Holding a set of drumsticks, sporting a hubcap tied to his arm and donning motorcycle goggles and several scarves and purses, the man told police he was “late for a gig,” according to police reports.

He then gave officers a false name and told them to cuff him.

Officers complied, sat the man back in his chair and rolled him to the curb, reports say. However, the man rolled himself back into traffic and fell out of the chair. One of the officers caught him.

The man spat at officers but missed, and called it a “warning shot.”

Upon a search of his person, police found a 12-inch crowbar and a belt buckle and necklace stuffed into his gloves.

Police took the man to Harborview Medical Center for a mental health check.

Chris R

How feasible would it be to stay at a hotel near SeaTac and take the light rail into town every day? Thinking about a visit next month but hotels downtown are $100 more a night on average it looks like :(

element

I got back from Bite of Seattle. Hot Wings, Chicken Skewer, Roasted Corn on the Cob, Elephant Ear, Strawberry Lemonade. Solid trip!

How feasible would it be to stay at a hotel near SeaTac and take the light rail into town every day? Thinking about a visit next month but hotels downtown are $100 more a night on average it looks like :(
that would be doable, but the hotels in seatac are gross. i'd look into airbnb.

xk0sm0sx

Guys

I have exactly one remaining week in Seattle (Digipen overseas immersion programme).

Show me best pizza, best chicken places, or any random food I should go.
However, it should be cheap, comfort food. I don't like to spend exorbitant amounts of money.

All places I have been to in this 3 months:
Wendy's
KFC
McDonald
Dairy Queen
Arby's
Taco Bell
Denny's
IHop
Pizza Hut
Five Guys
Old Country Buffet (Gotten sick of it)
A&W

As you can see, some of the places are rubbish. That is fine. I'm going to it for an experience.
Show me the glorious history of American food!

element

Guys

I have exactly one remaining week in Seattle (Digipen overseas immersion programme).

However, it should be cheap, comfort food. I don't like to spend exorbitant amounts of money.

Wendy's
KFC
McDonald
Dairy Queen
Arby's
Taco Bell
Denny's
IHop
Pizza Hut
Five Guys
A&W

As you can see, some of the places are rubbish. That is fine. I'm going to it for an experience.
That isn't even good food!

Red Mill Burgers
Ezell's Famous Chicken
WingDome
Brown Bag Cafe
Ooba's Mexican
Delfino's Pizza
Bridle Trails New York PIzza
Pizza Bank
Dixie's BBQ

That is a good list :)

element

You have given me a great mission :)
I tried to keep them all around Kirkland and Redmond. Red Mill and Delfino's are in Seattle but WELL WORTH IT!

At Delfino's get a stuffed pizza.
At Red Mill get a Double Deluxe with Cheese. Make sure you keep it as is.
At Ezell's make sure you order spicy chicken.

Nert

I got back from Bite of Seattle. Hot Wings, Chicken Skewer, Roasted Corn on the Cob, Elephant Ear, Strawberry Lemonade. Solid trip!

That sounds like a good haul! I picked up some alligator on a stick, fried bananas with coconut milk, fried macaroni and cheese, and some pork spring rolls.

In two weeks, Seattle has put on Dragon Fest, Seafood Fest, and now Bite of Seattle. This city really knows how to get me to eat way too much :D

element

I forgot all about the deep fried mac & cheese!! I was a little disappointed as it seemed to be kraft or something. still pretty tasty.

the roasted corn was probably the best :)

D23

Guys

Wendy's
KFC
McDonald
Dairy Queen
Arby's
Taco Bell
Denny's
IHop
Pizza Hut
Five Guys
A&W

DICKS BURGER
Paseos

Top Bottom