• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

Chris R

that would be doable, but the hotels in seatac are gross. i'd look into airbnb.
airbnb just sounds scary :( I'll look for a few more days but I think the hotel cost is going to make the trip not happen, even with airfare down from Alaska at only $200ish

element

airbnb just sounds scary :( I'll look for a few more days but I think the hotel cost is going to make the trip not happen, even with airfare down from Alaska at only $200ish
There are some pretty sweet deals for $100 to $150 a night in the city or super close. I rather do Airbnb than stay in Seatac. Yuck!

Anyone know what 405 traffic is like from Renton to Bellevue in the morning (7-8am)?

I'm currently living in Bellevue near where I work, but my lease is ending and I want to find a cheaper apartment possible down in Renton (Bellevue apartment prices suck).

jb1234

Anyone know what 405 traffic is like from Renton to Bellevue in the morning (7-8am)?

I'm currently living in Bellevue near where I work, but my lease is ending and I want to find a cheaper apartment possible down in Renton (Bellevue apartment prices suck).

Probably abysmal.

I can't speak to that commute 100%, but I'm pretty confident that you are not going to like it. What time do you commute at? In my experience I've had to do a couple of morning commute time runs to the Airport (so Eastside, Airport, back to Eastside) and traffic was always miserable. It moves long enough to get you there, but it's pretty packed and moving at like 20-25 for much of 405 north.

edit: Just saw your edit, I guess it probably wouldn't be that much worse than Snohomish, so if you did that this probably won't kill you.

dLMN8R

The Renton to Bellevue commute is absolutely terrible. Any time I have an early flight, I see the traffic going the opposite direction and it's almost completely stopped for miles.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Yea that is going to be bad, I worked with someone in Redmond that commuted from Puyallup, and it was a nightmare for him every day.

Ermc_G6

It sure has been nice out the last few days.

So glad I got out of the Kansas heat. So far this has been (weather wise) the best summer I've had in years.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Does anyone know if the station at othello park is a good place to rent? Im trying to find a studio around 900 or below.

Does anyone know if the station at othello park is a good place to rent? Im trying to find a studio around 900 or below.

Not sure about the building itself, but the Othello area was supposed to be gentrified by now thanks to light rail, but the economy kinda killed that. Not a bad area. Lots of great ethnic restaurants.

neojubei

Not sure about the building itself, but the Othello area was supposed to be gentrified by now thanks to light rail, but the economy kinda killed that. Not a bad area. Lots of great ethnic restaurants.

Thanks for the info. I am visiting the city in September so i will put it on my list. Sigh looking for a job in another state is going to be hard.

Thanks for the info. I am visiting the city in September so i will put it on my list. Sigh looking for a job in another state is going to be hard.

Othello is in South Seattle in the Rainier/MLK area. Lots of ethnic diversity and a mixture of middle and low income families with some higher end homes sprinkled around the closer you to get Lake Washington. The light rail stations down there were going to cause a huge change, but like I said, the economy tanking delayed that from happening.

neojubei

Othello is in South Seattle in the Rainier/MLK area. Lots of ethnic diversity and a mixture of middle and low income families with some higher end homes sprinkled around the closer you to get Lake Washington. The light rail stations down there were going to cause a huge change, but like I said, the economy tanking delayed that from happening.

Well i wont be able to afford much so hopefully the rent would be cheap. I've checked the rental prices and they seem reasonable for a studio and the light rail helps since i wont have a car for a while.

I've been using trulia.com and apartments.com in conjunction with apartment ratings.com, is there other websites i should be using to look for apartments. This is going to be my first apartment and first major move so hopefully everything goes well. sigh

Well i wont be able to afford much so hopefully the rent would be cheap. I've checked the rental prices and they seem reasonable for a studio and the light rail helps since i wont have a car for a while.

I've been using trulia.com and apartments.com in conjunction with apartment ratings.com, is there other websites i should be using to look for apartments. This is going to be my first apartment and first major move so hopefully everything goes well. sigh

No clue, I've been a homeowner for six years now. I'm sure the rental market is quite different from what I remember.

neojubei

found out the studios at othello start at 999. jesus, why does every other damn rental website say 825. Im probably going to need two jobs and a loan. my life sucks.

rando14

It's always pretty rough through the s-curves and up through the kennydale hill, then mostly clear after that

dewdrop

Banned
Hey guys! I'm new both to GAF and Seattle! Became a junior today and moved in to a place in Belltown about a month ago. Beside this thread, how do y'all keep up with city happenings? I've been listening to radio on work commutes but any Seattle-centric twitter feeds to recommend? My friends have suggested The Stranger, too, so I guess I'll keep an eye out for that.

Cheers!

Ermc_G6

Hey Dewdrop,

I find out about most things in the area from the posters in coffee shops actually...

Not to high tech, but it keeps me busy.

Edit: Do you mind sharing where you came from?

televator

I was just up in Washington for a week, but I only got to see Seattle for a day. I definitely want to go back for a good prolonged vacation and see a lot more. Maybe even see Spokane next time and I definitely wanna check up further north eventually into Canada and see Vancouver.

So far, I'll take norther living over my current residence (Phoenix, AZ) any day. I didn't wanna come back. Fuck this regressive shit pit life in Phoenix.

D23

Ur gonna hate it..
I used to live in Renton when I was working at Bellevue. The traffic going to Bellevue in the morning just horrible but nothing can prepare you for the commute back to Renton from Bellevue during rush hour

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
found out the studios at othello start at 999. jesus, why does every other damn rental website say 825. Im probably going to need two jobs and a loan. my life sucks.

Look into the cheaper options I pm'd you recently; there are affordable AND decent buildings directly in the city, but these "trendy" new condos popping up all the time ain't it. You don't need to be pulling six figures to have a nice place to live. Clean, safe, and convenient is way more important than profile.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
It's one of those "sliding scale" places because I don't make a lot of money, but it's just as nice as my old building, with a better view, more convenient location, and cheaper to boot. Go figure.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
New SI cover.

bPvTvXb.jpg

Dat Trollface.

Scared to go into NFL Gaf right now.

Ermc_G6

that's like right there on Denny right? Zeek's was my move-in pizza, I was pretty impressed. Due for another pizza day this weekend constructing the second wave of Ikea bookshelves...

Once you are moved in, go get Paseo.

Best $9 you will spend all week.

neojubei

move into a flophouse. i pay $380

Look into the cheaper options I pm'd you recently; there are affordable AND decent buildings directly in the city, but these "trendy" new condos popping up all the time ain't it. You don't need to be pulling six figures to have a nice place to live. Clean, safe, and convenient is way more important than profile.

Don't know if I want to stay in a flophouse. Googled it and it looks weird. So frustrating I do know how people can move to other states. Looking for a job online and looking at various apartments. Sigh. I'm going to fail

xk0sm0sx

Sorry, just asking for one last recommendation.
I've only got a day to go visiting, would like to see nature that's not too inaccessible (will have car).

Is there any nature sites that is not too common to check out?
Waterfall would be nice!

jb1234

I've only got a day to go visiting, would like to see nature that's not too inaccessible (will have car).

Waterfall would be nice!

Snoqualmie Falls is probably closest, about forty minutes out of Seattle.

Waterfall would be nice!

Snoqualmie Falls is a short drive from Seattle. Very iconic and was featured in Twin Peaks.

Top Bottom