• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

pizza dog

Banned
got my account approved just in time for PAX. this weekend is bonkers between PAX and Bumbershoot. I live right near the Needle so I'm looking forward to shit constantly popping off.

dLMN8R

If you're in town for PAX, I'm guessing you'll spend most of your time not at PAX downtown.

Don't.

Capitol Hill is a short walk from the convention center, and has a shitload of incredible food and great nightlife. Just walk up Pike, to Bellevue, To E Olive Way and you're set:

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...28204,0.052314&mra=mift&mrsp=0&sz=15&t=m&z=17

Shouldn't take you more than 15-20 minutes from the convention center to walk. Don't drive. parking is terrible.

I was in line at Salumi today and the guy I was chatting with recommended Paseo. Is it worth the trip out there from downtown?

Yep. Paseo has locations in Fremont and also out near Golden Gardens in Ballard.

Like I said before, get your asses out of downtown. Our neighborhoods are where it's at.

"Worth the trip out there" makes me laugh.

I'm only going to Monday at PaX. I'm coming up on Sunday for the meet up, straight to there. I am a bit depressed I'm only spending one day there...

I'm not a fan of parking in cities.:(

Parking is bad on Capitol Hill? That's where the meet-up is. Sunday night at Von Trapp's.
It's really not that bad near Von Trapp's if you get there before 11PM or so. I'd recommend parking on the back streets near there.

Also don't forget, because it's Sunday and the following day is a holiday, you can leave your car overnight if necessary. Beats paying for a parking garage.

Jamie OD

Visiting Seattle from Ireland for the second year in a row due to PAX. Really love just walking around the downtown area. I went out early this morning because of jetlag and I saw a lot of construction work going on at the Westlake Centre. Is that place closed entirely for now and does it affect the monorail? Also if anyone knows a place that sells Chromecasts nearby that would be great.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
The work at Westlake is mostly exterior at this point and doesn't affect the stores or monorail.

You could try Target for a Chromecast, but generally speaking, computers and electronics are a bit sparse in the city. Best Buy carries them, but the closest one is a 30–40m bus ride north.

The work at Westlake is mostly exterior at this point and doesn't affect the stores or monorail.

You could try Target for a Chromecast, but generally speaking, computers and electronics are a bit sparse in the city. Best Buy carries them, but the closest one is a 30–40m bus ride north.

There's an Office Depot on 4th downtown, you could also try there.

dLMN8R

The monorail should still be up and functional. BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD EXPLORE MORE THAN DOWNTOWN!

:p

Sorry, I can't help myself. After living here for five years it's soooo frustrating when tourists spend all their time in the most boring 10% of this amazing city!

The monorail should still be up and functional. BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD EXPLORE MORE THAN DOWNTOWN!

:p

Sorry, I can't help myself. After living here for five years it's soooo frustrating when tourists spend all their time in the most boring 10% of this amazing city!

I've been saying the same thing. GET THE FUCK OUT OF DOWNTOWN.

the city dies after 2AM :/

at least where I was

badass4ls9h.png

South Hill makes me want to kill people. An also makea me judgmental. Why do people like living here?

There are two Wal-marts, two Targets and two Rams all about three miles from each other because the sprawl and traffic is so horrid. I remember as a kid there was nothing here but trees until you got to Eatonville.

RAGE. Urge to kill rising.

Does anybody have connections to jobs in Seattle? I was thinking I could look while I am up there. My lease is up in about two months, so I could potentially move there.

In the Portland area, I applied at Powell's Books, Starbucks, Plaid Pantry, The Container Store, Regal Cinemas, Best Buy, Staples, Kohl's, Macy's, Peet's Coffee, Tea Chai Te, Lamb's Markets, Safeway, Taco Time, Tobacco Town, World Foods, and 7-11. I had a few interviews too. I worked at Regal Cinemas in the past. I have a college degree, but I still want to work at some place like these, or if anybody has a connection for something more like office work, that would be cool too...

See my edit. The last thing I did was volunteered at a senior center in the kitchen doing dishwashing and prep. Before that I worked in a garden.

See my edit. The last thing I did was volunteered at a senior center in the kitchen doing dishwashing and prep. Before that I worked in a garden.
I know QFC is hiring right now, having worked in one of their stores up until recently (as an employee of a contractor for QFC).

My main connection is for security work (wear a uniform, walk around, look at stuff, write about it). If that's something that interests you, feel free to PM for details.

Let me think about that. QFC's are in Portland also. I am waiting to hear back from two Safeway stores too. I'm not sure security work would be good for me. Thanks for reply :)

Ermc_G6

Do you think we could do a Seattle "Golden Mile" as seen in the end of the world?

If so, where would the mile start and end?

Quadratic

Your city is awesome dudes. So much more fun this year. Didn't do much touristy stuff like last year (except the space needle)

Looking forward to next PAX.

Top Bottom