• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

dLMN8R

Dick's sounds like they treat their employees well. They always have signs up saying they have a $10/hr starting wage minimum, + health benefits, + some stipend for further education.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Where's MrNugNug? It started raining this morning. Which means it's Ramen Season. He's gotta know when the new Ramen place opens!!!1

coldvein

Banned
speaking of seasonal feeling food .. as it gets wetter and colder i'm gonna be hitting up vostok dumpling house like a mad man.

Hey there.
I'm going to be moving from Australia to the Seattle area in a few weeks and I'm looking for furnished rental places on the Eastside, preferably within striking distance of Bellevue/Redmond. I've a decent budget and have been checking out yelp and apartmentratings.com but any inside scoop on good places and places to avoid would be appreciated.

I don't need hip. In fact, boring and quiet really suits me as a contrast to my work. Pet-friendly since I plan to get a cat soon.

I don't have a job lined up yet but will be looking for something in game audio (I have a looooot of experience in that area), just in case any Seattle Development Gaffers know of anything.

also. Pizza places. tell me about them. This is probably more important in the long run.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hey there.
I'm going to be moving from Australia to the Seattle area in a few weeks and I'm looking for furnished rental places on the Eastside, preferably within striking distance of Bellevue/Redmond. I've a decent budget and have been checking out yelp and apartmentratings.com but any inside scoop on good places and places to avoid would be appreciated.

I don't need hip. In fact, boring and quiet really suits me as a contrast to my work. Pet-friendly since I plan to get a cat soon.

I don't have a job lined up yet but will be looking for something in game audio (I have a looooot of experience in that area), just in case any Seattle Development Gaffers know of anything.

also. Pizza places. tell me about them. This is probably more important in the long run.

Pizza is bad. We have a couple of good Neapolitan places, like Verace, and Tutta Bella (too family friendly) and a few good sit down places downtown. But delivery is mostly hot garbage.

Redmond, Kirkland and Bellevue will all supply you quiet cat apartments. PM your résumé and I will either tell you you are under qualified or forward it around.

Where's MrNugNug? It started raining this morning. Which means it's Ramen Season. He's gotta know when the new Ramen place opens!!!1

I honestly know very little. My boss is very secretive. The construction is underway; he's currently looking for staff and I think he's having a tough time finding applicants. My guess would be look for the ramen shop to open in Oct. The earliest would be very late September.

Pizza is bad. We have a couple of good Neapolitan places, like Verace, and Tutta Bella (too family friendly) and a few good sit down places downtown. But delivery is mostly hot garbage.

It sounds like I will have ample opportunity to engorge myself. That's good to know.

Redmond, Kirkland and Bellevue will all supply you quiet cat apartments. PM your résumé and I will either tell you you are under qualified or forward it around.

Cheers. Will PM you later today.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Hey there.

Sorry, not sure about furnished apartments.

If you are living on the eastside(Redmond/Bellevue) Pizza delivery is bad. But there are some decent places, and take and bake places: Zeeks, Mod Pizza, Zaw, and Papa Murphy's are all good for the pizza urge. Some people like Pagliacci as well. There is some wood fired pizza cart/truck thing around Bellevue that I have heard is good, but haven't tried.

If you were a java or c# programmer I could probably get you a job.

LiveWire

Hey there.

Pizza (along with burgers and other East Coast/Midwestern junk food delicacies) is mostly terrible in Seattle, but there's some passable places occasionally. You might enjoy some pizza at Cafe Veloce in Kirkland. There's also a relatively new place called ZAW Artisan Pizza, which is a take-and-bake place (although they might also do delivery now).

If you like any sort of East Asian cuisines however, you'll be in heaven pretty much anywhere in the metropolitan area.

As for rental places, there are some great furnished rentals at Veloce on 161st Ave. (Yes, someone in this area loves the name Veloce, I don't know why.) And it happens to be across the street from the Redmond Transit Center so you can bus anywhere to Bellevue/Kirkland or the city.

Tutta Bella (too family friendly)

Tutta Bella has an adults-only space at the Stone Way location now. It's small, but looks nice. And yes, it is extremely family friendly, but being the father of a 19-month old girl, it's wonderful.

So yeah, went to Joule last night. Wife and I each ordered a serving of the spicy rice cakes. They're so damn good that sharing is not an option for either of us.

My 10 days in Seattle was pretty damn fantastic, Seattle-ites seem like really nice people.
It may be a case of "Ha! Tourist" but I really enjoyed Mod Pizza.

I am a native born PNWer, kinda standoffish and reserved, and I already have a good group of friends so I don't seek out new people.

However, I have made new friends in the last couple years who are transplants to the area. And I do smile and say hi to people on the street, though.

jb1234

Virtually all of my friends live outside of the state. Maybe a consequence of the Freeze, maybe not. I should try reaching out to people more.

Pizza (along with burgers and other East Coast/Midwestern junk food delicacies) is mostly terrible in Seattle, but there's some passable places occasionally. You might enjoy some pizza at Cafe Veloce in Kirkland. There's also a relatively new place called ZAW Artisan Pizza, which is a take-and-bake place (although they might also do delivery now).

If you like any sort of East Asian cuisines however, you'll be in heaven pretty much anywhere in the metropolitan area.

As for rental places, there are some great furnished rentals at Veloce on 161st Ave. (Yes, someone in this area loves the name Veloce, I don't know why.) And it happens to be across the street from the Redmond Transit Center so you can bus anywhere to Bellevue/Kirkland or the city.

Sorry, not sure about furnished apartments.

If you are living on the eastside(Redmond/Bellevue) Pizza delivery is bad. But there are some decent places, and take and bake places: Zeeks, Mod Pizza, Zaw, and Papa Murphy's are all good for the pizza urge. Some people like Pagliacci as well. There is some wood fired pizza cart/truck thing around Bellevue that I have heard is good, but haven't tried.

If you were a java or c# programmer I could probably get you a job.

Thanks for the recommendations. Im sure ill set up a search pattern and slowly try them all. One slice at a time. Then try indian and thai food. And search the heavens for someone that sells jars of vegemite.

just for contrast, there are very few good pizza places where i currently live, either.
But, most of the best pizzas that ive had have been during prior US visits.

dLMN8R

Your premise is flawed. Your question shouldn't be "where are the best pizza places and do they deliver". Your question should be "how the hell will I be able to handle the incredible diversity and quality of Seattle's food without gaining 100lbs?"

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Thanks for the recommendations. Im sure ill set up a search pattern and slowly try them all. One slice at a time. Then try indian and thai food. And search the heavens for someone that sells jars of vegemite.

just for contrast, there are very few good pizza places where i currently live, either.
But, most of the best pizzas that ive had have been during prior US visits.

Cost Plus World Market sells vegemite; there's one in downtown or in Bellevue.

And the best pizza in the entire region is in Belltown at Bambino's.

Had Bambino's once and it slightly was too gourmet for my taste. I like a good classic, greasy pepperoni pizza when I eat pizza. For that, I go to Big Mario's.

cdyhybrid

Pagliacci has very greasy pizza. Anyone had Northlake Tavern? It's literally down the street from me (I live on 7th) but never been there.

Had Bambino's once and it slightly was too gourmet for my taste. I like a good classic, greasy pepperoni pizza when I eat pizza. For that, I go to Big Mario's.
I like gourmets now and then, but I agree. There's nothing quite like an old fashioned grease ball. I personally like Good Guy's for that kinda stuff, nice and cheap.

dLMN8R

There are two amazing pizza places in Seattle:

Delancey
Serious Pie

If you don't go to one of those places, expect to be disappointed. Both are always extremely busy though.

Delancey has the benefit of being right across the street from this dive-ish Mexican bar though. So put your name in for a table at Delancey, hop across the street for a couple drinks, and then enjoy pizza!

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
There are two amazing pizza places in Seattle:

Delancey
Serious Pie

If you don't go to one of those places, expect to be disappointed. Both are always extremely busy though.

Delancey has the benefit of being right across the street from this dive-ish Mexican bar though. So put your name in for a table at Delancey, hop across the street for a couple drinks, and then enjoy pizza!

Serious Pie is pretty close to my work, and I keep meaning to try it out. I need to get on this.

Nert

Serious Pie is really good. For a cheaper alternative, I would also highly recommend Italian Family Pizza.

Anyone in the area planning to go to that Kanye/Kendrick show coming up? Oct 19th is the day I think

I'm not, but I did just see Kendrick perform during Bumbershoot, and he killed it. He even had someone come on and play an extended guitar solo during Swimming Pools (Drank),

According to the permit, Chick-fil-A plans to build a 3,600 square foot “quick service” restaurant at 11001 Roosevelt Way Northeast. An application for a permit was filed Tuesday.

I'm on 68th NE, so thats 40+ blocks north of me.

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
So, I've been asked to seriously look into the possibility of moving to Seattle. I'm currently working for a company that has an office in downtown Seattle (right by Pike Place Market).

My current plan was to save money for a down payment on an apartment/condo/house locally, and I've moved back in with my parents in an effort to expedite that process. Even so, I want to save about 20-30k, and that will take about a year. I've been asked to consider moving to Seattle instead, and I do love the city, so I'm willing to at least consider it.

So, that being said: do any of you locals have suggestions for neighborhoods/areas to look into for a single guy making about 60k per year? I'm pretty sure I can angle for a cost-of-living increase on my wages, but I'd rather plan for what I know I have now. Easy commuting via public transport to the downtown area would be preferable of course, but from the guys I do know here, that doesn't seem like it would be a problem at all.

cdyhybrid

So, I've been asked to seriously look into the possibility of moving to Seattle. I'm currently working for a company that has an office in downtown Seattle (right by Pike Place Market).

My current plan was to save money for a down payment on an apartment/condo/house locally, and I've moved back in with my parents in an effort to expedite that process. Even so, I want to save about 20-30k, and that will take about a year. I've been asked to consider moving to Seattle instead, and I do love the city, so I'm willing to at least consider it.

So, that being said: do any of you locals have suggestions for neighborhoods/areas to look into for a single guy making about 60k per year? I'm pretty sure I can angle for a cost-of-living increase on my wages, but I'd rather plan for what I know I have now. Easy commuting via public transport to the downtown area would be preferable of course, but from the guys I do know here, that doesn't seem like it would be a problem at all.

Look into Capitol Hill, Fremont, Queen Anne, Wallingford, Greenlake. YMMV as far as rent goes, but those are generally good places to live.

Greenlake rents are kinda nuts right now from what I've heard, but if you're making 60k you should be fine. I love living here. Extremely walkable.

Zwanze Day is Saturday at Brouwers. Doors at 11am, getting in line around 10am. Psyched.

We have amassed 20 or so sour beers for your imbibing pleasure. Due to the nature of this event and the rarity of Zwanze, we anticipate that there will be a line, how early we don’t know. In an effort to reward those of you that line up before the doors open at 11am we are planning on handing out numbered buttons 1-140 (that you can keep) and a raffle ticket that guarantees you the ability to purchase Zwanze when we tap it at noon. The first 3 people in line will receive a special door prize. Please do not cut the line, or hold spaces in line, we will do our best to enforce line cutting, but ask that you be respectful and not engage in this behavior. All the other beers tapped in honor of this event will be available at the time that we open.
At noon when we start pouring Zwanze we will try to deliver them in ascending order to those folks that have a ticket and a button. Please be patient with us.
There will be Zwanze T-shirts and commemorative glassware for sale at this event. Shirts will be $20 and glassware will be $6.
We will be pouring:
Cantillon-- Zwanze
Cantillon --St Gilloise
Cantillon-- Geueze
De Ranke-- XXX Bitter
New Belgium-- La Folie
Port/Lost Abbey—Red Poppy
Port/Lost Abbey—Frambiose De Ambrosa
Russian River—Temptation
Cascade—The Vine
Petrus-- Aged Pale
Snipes-- Quincenera Andrea
Commons/De Garde—Ortucky Common
American Brewing-- Stupid Sexy Flanders
Rodenbach Grand Cru
Bokor Cuvee de Jacobins
Elysian Comtesse
Elysian Krokus
Black Raven --- Corvus Kriekus
Bear Republic—Tartare
And possibly a few others that are yet to be determined…

Zwanze, St. Gilloise, Stupid Sexy Flanders and Ortucky Common for me!

Top Bottom