• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

Hey there.
I'm going to be moving from Australia to the Seattle area in a few weeks and I'm looking for furnished rental places on the Eastside, preferably within striking distance of Bellevue/Redmond. I've a decent budget and have been checking out yelp and apartmentratings.com but any inside scoop on good places and places to avoid would be appreciated.

I don't need hip. In fact, boring and quiet really suits me as a contrast to my work. Pet-friendly since I plan to get a cat soon.

I don't have a job lined up yet but will be looking for something in game audio (I have a looooot of experience in that area), just in case any Seattle Development Gaffers know of anything.

also. Pizza places. tell me about them. This is probably more important in the long run.

On the east side there is MOD pizza, Papa john, Pizza hut, Zekes, and thats it. Whole foods as good pizzas as well. There's also Pomegranate Bistro which has has firebread Pizza. For apartments i knows the 9200 place in redmond, is pet friendly, cause i know some people that live there. http://www.9200redmondplace.graninc.com/pet_page.html.

hope that helps.

dLMN8R

Maybe a stupid question, but why isn't the roof of CenturyLink stadium closed? Surely they could have seen this coming?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
i think paul allen wanted an open field and iirc they didnt put in a retractable roof due to cost

Yep. They wanted a more cost effective stadium open to the elements. Seattle has a remarkably mild climate - so snow and serious rain are almost unheard of. Our rain is shitty drizzly and persistent rather than torrential. And if that thing had a roof, the noise would be devastating.

Hi all thanks for the recommendations re: pizza and places. Hopefully I'll have my apartment application approved this week. Been here a few days and will post some impressions later.

I'm guessing by all people in green that there's a game on of some description.

Hi all thanks for the recommendations re: pizza and places. Hopefully I'll have my apartment application approved this week. Been here a few days and will post some impressions later.

I'm guessing by all people in green that there's a game on of some description.

Seahawks at 1pm today at Century Link Field.

According to Lincoln, Yamauchi never wavered in his commitment to the Mariners and, as such, that commitment will continue at Nintendo of America.

Never wavered? Aside from a few key players such as Ichiro and Felix, they stopped spending money on players years ago and just latched onto the nostalgia around 1995 and 2001. I love my Mariners, but let's be realistic here. The team is more interested in making money and being family friendly than actually competing.

pizza dog

Banned
Hey Seattle I'm looking to unload some LEGO sets after moving to a new place. I put a listing up over on LEGO GAF here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=83712597&postcount=19615

Hit me up if interested. I listed there primarily some larger Star Wars sets, but I have some smaller ones too that probably aren't worth the trouble of shipping. Get at me if you'd like to buy a load from me and I can write up a more complete list.

Preference goes to Seattle GAF so we can deal in person and avoid shipping.

dubc35

tumblr_mcpby1cb0M1ruge4uo1_1280.jpg

dLMN8R

My wife and I had a gift certificate for a Pike Place food tour and brilliantly decided that today was a good day to use them :p

Walked there from cap hill in 30 min in the rain, got rained on the entire time, walked back in the rain. So nice when we finally got home!

We're taking a day trip up to Lynden to pick apples and then pizza and beer at North Fork in Demming tomorrow along the Mt. Baker Highway. We gon get rain'd.

Awesome day trip up to Bellingham, Lynden and Demming. Avoided the rain while picking apples at BelleWood, had pizza and beers at North Fork Brewing (while watching the Hawks win in overtime) and then drove up to the Heather Meadows visitor center at Mt. Baker and enjoyed the little snow storm up there.

pizza dog

Banned
I would love to throw an Emergency Gay Wedding that sounds like a lot of fun. I don't really want to marry a man though.

Since we don't have a government, can we divorce weddings from marriage therefore to have more fun parties where grandmas and grandpas and cousins and uncles are invited?

Is there a decent Eastside alternative to Ikea that's not going to make me blow my brains out trying to get stuff delivered?
Ikea's online store is telling me 2 weeks before they can deliver. Am I likely to have better results going to the store (again)?

I have to point out that currently the furniture in my apartment consists of an air mattress so I need a fair bit more than will fit into my car, etc.

Yes, trying to buy from Ikea around the start of college was probably a champion idea.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Is there a decent Eastside alternative to Ikea that's not going to make me blow my brains out trying to get stuff delivered?
Ikea's online store is telling me 2 weeks before they can deliver. Am I likely to have better results going to the store (again)?

I have to point out that currently the furniture in my apartment consists of an air mattress so I need a fair bit more than will fit into my car, etc.

Yes, trying to buy from Ikea around the start of college was probably a champion idea.

Fred Meyer will do furniture delivery: http://www.fredmeyer.com/in_store/Pages/FurnitureDelivery.aspx
but it probably isn't nearly as cheap as ikea.

Macy's?

pizza dog

Banned
Check out Dania furniture. I've had great experiences with them.

Yeah they're pretty good.

Alternately, rent a pickup truck from U-Haul and bite the Ikea bullet. Dunno your monetary situation at all, but if you need to go from 0 to Furnished real quick, Ikea is the answer. Then trade up in pieces until your furniture isn't made out of tissue paper glued together.

Thanks for the recommendations.

Macy's- 6 damn weeks for a sofa and a bed frame- I already ordered a mattress from 6 day Mattresses.

Dania will have wait till I next need something and timeframes aren't as much of an issue.

I did check out some of the ex furniture rental places. Scratched Trash.

I'm going to ikea again tonight to plunk down cash for deliveries and grab an office chair so I can at least sit upright at the kitchen counter to get some work done.

PhantomR

Banned
Alright guys, you've seen the ads on TV blasting yay or nay on I-522. Seems like that's the big ballot iniative going down next month. What say you, Seattle-GAF?

pizza dog

Banned
I'm torn.

(Full-disclosure my pops is in the grocery business up here. It'll be onerous for his company, which operates up and down the West Coast.)

On the one hand, I sincerely believe more information makes the world better period. I don't personally care about organic/GMO/whatever, but I don't think people are wrong if they do care. I think it's silly to be afraid of GMOs but that's a person's own prerogative.

The specifics of this one are pretty messy though. I know from my dad it is totally lame from a compliance standpoint. The bottom line is labels would be better, but still not perfect. And the argument that this law would increase food costs doesn't really hold water. It's strictly true that it will make things more expensive, but probably not appreciably on the family level.

So I'm saying, the law does little to no no harm and promotes a good idea, that people should have more information than less. This law's mad imperfect, the question should be settled on a national level, and I don't personally desire it, but I'll probably vote for it. If you don't, you'll make my sister's Ivy League college bills easier for my folks to pay though! So I'm happy either way.

Here's the official for/against blurbs: http://weiapplets.sos.wa.gov/MyVote...&electionTitle=2013 General Election #ososTop

Alright guys, you've seen the ads on TV blasting yay or nay on I-522. Seems like that's the big ballot iniative going down next month. What say you, Seattle-GAF?

I'm voting for it. I think we should let people know what's GMO and what's not, and I also want to send a huge "fuck you" to Monsanto.

MjFrancis

These posts are relevant from the GMO thread:

So you don't want to know what you're eating? I'm not talking about a big sticker on the front if the package, just "this is GMO product" beside the ingredients list.
Why there? GMO is a process, not something you list next to ingredients. It tells you nothing about your food beyond playing into 'frankenfood' nonsense. If you need to know the ingredients, nutritional info, or if it contains allergens then those labels already exist. It's a waste of a label and would only lead to ignorant people bemoaning how everything is a GMO nowadays with no tangible benefits.

There are implications when it comes to labels. Oh, this right here is 'made with peanuts' I'd better avoid it since I'm allergic. This label would be informative. Hey, this has a 'GMO' label, why label it if it isn't potentially dangerous? Better avoid it. This label is misleading.

It does nothing to inform because there so far GMO's haven't been shown to cause any harm.
I'm in complete agreement with Leunam. The GMO label doesn't tell the consumer anything beyond whether a product contains GMO's or not, and in the case of this law, there's far too many exemptions for it to be helpful for an anti-GMO consumer gung-ho about avoiding them altogether. More relevant labeling would at least include what gene has been manipulated, much less actually bothering to include all food products sold in the state.

The blanket moralizing of all GMO's as "bad" is quickly broken when you consider most people aren't so gung-ho about demonizing the genetically-modified insulin that's keeping so many people alive:

Something people often fail to realize about GMOs: they extend beyond crops. If you take insulin due to your diabetes and you are 100% against GMOs, well, you're living a lie. Insulin used to be harvested from pigs, until GMO technology was developed in the 1970's for production of insulin from E. coli. That's right, if you take insulin to stay alive you likely have genetically modified E. coli to thank.

My experience with talking to people about what they don't like about GMO's is having the whole thing boil down to the politics of Monsanto - in which case this law does anything between "very little" and "jack shit" to combat. Throwing the baby out with the bath water comes to mind here - genetically modified organisms are certainly not all the same, and treating them as such isn't particularly useful in any way I can fathom.

I don't have a problem with GMOs, they have done lots of good. However, I also don't see a problem with having to label packaging.

And yes, fuck Monsanto and their seed monopoly. It might not have an impact on their day to day operations, but it does send a message to them that they can't buy ballot measures off.

coldvein

Banned
I don't have a problem with GMOs, they have done lots of good. However, I also don't see a problem with having to label packaging.

And yes, fuck Monsanto and their seed monopoly. It might not have an impact on their day to day operations, but it does send a message to them that they can't buy ballot measures off.

this. we've got some giant corporation saying "dont tell them how the food was made! it will hurt sales!" .. fuck that. label everything.

hopefully the enlightened people in the western part of the state will out-vote the easterners and we can get this thing passed. if it fails, its a huge victory for corporate bullshit across the board.

Fred Meyers in the area are always hiring. You can get up to 15 dollars per hour as a cashier.

Cashiers make 15/hour. Didn't know that. I always thought I might want to work in the electronics department. Maybe I should apply in the Portland area. I don't really have the means to move to Seattle unless someone needs a housemate for a decent price. I'm paying with social security and my parents help for rent; but I'm sure I could find someplace cheaper than 885.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

One more Dania recommendation. Good - often attractive stuff, interesting sales/sliughtly damaged selection.

Cashiers make 15/hour. Didn't know that. I always thought I might want to work in the electronics department. Maybe I should apply in the Portland area. I don't really have the means to move to Seattle unless someone needs a housemate for a decent price. I'm paying with social security and my parents help for rent; but I'm sure I could find someplace cheaper than 885.
If you don't mind living among a family, I know someone looking for a renter in their split level house. Something like 500-550 a month, utilities included.

Top Bottom