• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

If you don't mind living among a family, I know someone looking for a renter in their split level house. Something like 500-550 a month, utilities included.

My mom said she likes me close to home. She gets on my case about having to pay the rest of my rent money. So I'm considering my options. Thanks. I'll pet you know if I'm still looking when my lease is closer to being up.

I bit the ikea bullet in the end. But if I decide to upgrade ill check out Dania. I've driven past one in Kirkland and it looks pretty slick.

They're delivering tomorrow morning, same time as cable is apparently getting installed. That's much better than the 2 weeks the Ikea online store was offering.

Also, it's quite challenging, but more to the point, not totally impossible to load up two of their big carts with heavy furniture boxes and manoever them throught the store by yourself. Fun times.

I fully expect to do an emergency trip next week for the bits I have forgotten. And that's gonna it.

Probably looking forward to assembling it all and dreading it in equal measures. Meccano for adults.

Thanks again.

We've been eyeing Dania for years when we lived in California (it's called Scandanavian Designs there); going to finally pull the trigger on a couch after the holidays. So hype.

Also! When we moved here we needed a new bed; looked at Sleep Country and Mattress Discounters. Went with the latter solely due to their sales staff (prices were nearly equal). Got a Tempur-Pedic with free pillows, and they deliver next day as well.

Samk

How hard is it for a transfer student to get into UW?

My grades aren't great, but I plan to take language courses at a community college to boost my GPA. I also got a 560 on the BAT with a perfect score in the Economics section. What do you think my prospects are?

The ramen shop will open soon. Gas company is coming in today. Interior needs some touchups. My boss has hired a few japanese ramen chefs to come startup the restaurant, they are working on retainer for a month or so. If y'all stop in at some point, I'll be the bald dude with glasses.

The ramen shop will open soon. Gas company is coming in today. Interior needs some touchups. My boss has hired a few japanese ramen chefs to come startup the restaurant, they are working on retainer for a month or so. If y'all stop in at some point, I'll be the bald dude with glasses.

Name and location again? Can't wait to check it out and say hi.

I AM SO PSYCHED FOR MORE RAMEN IN NORTH SEATTLE.

a9D8FdX.jpg

These are the bowls we'll be using. Currently working alongside two Ramen chefs as they try to communicate in sparse English. Its pretty exciting right now. Oh and the insignia on the bowls, the first thing I thought of was Kamen Rider and Viewtiful Joe.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Ramen Man opens today.

Lunch:Noon to 2:30.

Dinner: 5 to 9.

Just ate there and here’s the report:

The broth is based on a famous Kumamoto restaurant recipe, famous in part because it eschews the normal Kyushu Tonkotsu broth in favor of a very rich chicken bone and marrow stock. It’s creamy, silky in texture and very, very rich.

Noodles are traditional thin Kyushu style, supplied by a famous LA place that creates noodles for a few Japanese places in SoCal. Perfectly cooked with just enough bite.

There is beer, Sapporo in cans to be specific, and maybe teething troubles, but it wasn’t served with a glass, which was suboptimal.

Couple of sides, including rice and (not today) Kimchi. Free unlimited hard boiled eggs with a bowl for peeling (but no soft boiled Ajitsuki Tamago, which is a shame) for eating on their own, cool Hand Luke style, or better yet, put the cold, peeled egg right in your broth and eat it a few seconds after it’s immersed. Which is a Tokyo tradition.

There are also Gyoza and a delicious Sukyaki Don (beef over rice) .

The ramen is offered in a few variants – traditional, garlic, shoyu and spicy miso. I had the latter and it was spectacular. Probably one of the best bowls I have had in Seattle, so we’ll see how consistent they can stay.

The Char Sui pork was fatty and meltingly good, as it should be.

Ambience was interesting. They decorated the front in the traditional Japanese style with “bowing” curtains and lamps. so it looks festive and fun. Inside, the front part is actually a lot like a real Ramen joint, and even the slightly dank basement seating section feels like many a Tokyo ramen dive. Not a date place by any stretch of the imagination, but fun. It was completely full, by the way. Not bad for 58 minutes of business.

Service was in practice mode, but helpful enough. Here’s what they need to be perfect:

Ajitsuki Tamago
Glasses for beer.
Juice or milk or something for kids (just soda and tea right now)
Prettier menus (which is weird because they had cool custom bowls and t-shirts) with better descriptions of the food and broth.

But I loved it. My favorite restaurant on 45th, overnight.
Chicken Kara age (this is optional lol)

Stinkles

Date night tonight, and while Ramen Man is tempting, we've got reservations at Joule. Ramen Man will be a family dinner out with the kiddo.

I love going to that building now. Because if the wait is too long, you can put your name down at the Whale Wins, or vice versa. Wallingford fo life.

I love going to that building now. Because if the wait is too long, you can put your name down at the Whale Wins, or vice versa. Wallingford fo life.

Or you put your name in and go hang out at Fremont's Urban Beer Garden.

The spicy rice cakes at Joule are incredible. We each get our own order. No sharing.

Shouta

Just had lunch at Ramen Man. Pretty good. Minor problems with it but it's mostly preference stuff. It's nice to have a proper bowl of Ramen in the US finally.

gryz

Banned
do they have white pepper on hand? and how unlike samurai noodle is it? ( with samurai noodle being the benchmark for awful ramen)

Stinkles

do they have white pepper on hand? and how unlike samurai noodle is it? ( with samurai noodle being the benchmark for awful ramen)

Samurai Noodle in the U District is bad. Samurai in the ID is decent. This is better than both. They certainly have pepper on hand. Didn't shake to see if white or black.

NugNug - I didn't see you.

gryz

Banned
Samurai Noodle in the U District is bad. Samurai in the ID is decent. This is better than both. They certainly have pepper on hand. Didn't shake to see if white or black.

NugNug - I didn't see you.

alright i'm waiting for someone who knows what white pepper is to review this place then.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Despite Stinkles' comment, I think I'll take a date who lives in Fremont next week. I've never actually had anything but instant ramen before, so this will be fun.

Nug, I will say hi if I see you.

It drives me a little nuts that there are two immersion/international schools in the same Wallingford boundary area. Way to diversify the kids who get to go there.

With that said, Green Lake Elementary is where my daughter will go, and I'm fine with that.

Stinkles

It drives me a little nuts that there are two immersion/international schools in the same Wallingford boundary area. Way to diversify the kids who get to go there.

With that said, Green Lake Elementary is where my daughter will go, and I'm fine with that.

Green Lake is a fantastic school. That is close to your house. It is 35 blocks from mine, while John Stanford is four blocks. And the city is telling me and every other child in Wallingford that our only guaranteed spot is at Green Lake. Which means our Wallingford kids will be overcrowding the shit out of your school and traffic.

It's retarded.

Top Bottom