• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

pizza dog

Banned
Yelp reviews for this Fusion joint are pretty choice.

Ultra lounge? Ultra lame.

GET: Out of there.

Its like prison with alcohol!

I've never been to this place but I met the owner or manager (don't remember) and he was totally rude. I would never visit this place.

I felt foolish for all the generalizations I've made about "Seattle being so white" on this Saturday, as I met people of all colors, from all over the world, at Fusion!

My fav:

If Fusion were a bottle of champagne, it'd be a magnum of Cooks. And there is not a dang thing wrong with that!

coldvein

Banned
nor do i.

i mean, i enjoy a loud football stadium. but the guiness book of worlds record current loudest stadium record doesn't matter.

cdyhybrid

Eh, I think it's a cool little thing that helps the fans feel involved and connected with the team.

Anything that helps the team win is alright in my book.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Yeah, I'm fine with it since it gives lots of fans a sense of ownership with the team, real or not.

The stats are very real. In some ways it's one of the most empowered fanbases in the nation.

Watching QBs miscall or misread plays because they can't communicate is soooooooo good.

It also helps that this year's Seahawks are god tier.

It is also worth reminding people that me and Russell Wilson are practically best friends.

pizza dog

Banned
12th Man Wikipedia said:
A researcher from Harvard University discovered in a study that some association football referees appeared to be impacted by crowd noise. His studies revealed that a home team acquired an additional 0.1 goal advantage for every 10,000 fans in the stadium.[

lol.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
The native NY'er in me wears a hoodie to walk to work and is laughing at everyone dressed up like it's a new ice age. :p

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
The native NY'er in me wears a hoodie to walk to work and is laughing at everyone dressed up like it's a new ice age. :p

Seattle people wear Patagonia all year long anyway. They are just itchin' to have an excuse to live out their John Krakauer fantasies and justify their Porsche Cayenne.

Just got back from a weekend in Portland with my wife.

Man, Portland is much more kid-friendly than we are. It's crazy. My daughter stayed with my parents so we could have a nice romantic weekend of eating awesome food and going to breweries, but kids were welcome everywhere down there and we saw more of them than we ever do at home in the city.

jb1234

Just got back from a weekend in Portland with my wife.

Man, Portland is much more kid-friendly than we are. It's crazy. My daughter stayed with my parents so we could have a nice romantic weekend of eating awesome food and going to breweries, but kids were welcome everywhere down there and we saw more of them than we ever do at home in the city.

Yeah, you don't usually bump into kids much in Seattle unless you're in West Seattle, I've found.

Found the same thing when looking for a place to live; most of Seattle proper is pretty kid-unfriendly. Between that and the shitty schools, we're out in the suburbs.

I'd honestly rather take "kid-unfriendly" over living in the suburbs.

There are plenty of kid friendly places around us in Greenlake/Tangletown/Fremont/Wallingford, but it was still pretty much day and night different down in Portland.

I'd honestly rather take "kid-unfriendly" over living in the suburbs.

Not going to disagree with you. Where we live (Mill Creek) is gentrified all to hell. But the schools are excellent and it's incredibly safe and quiet. I grew up in a lower class neighborhood and lived in a rural area before moving up here, so that has value.

There are plenty of kid friendly places around us in Greenlake/Tangletown/Fremont/Wallingford, but it was still pretty much day and night different down in Portland.

Love Wallingford from what I've seen of it, but no way in hell am I paying 600k+ for a house.

Mike M

Nick N
Seeing the Oatmeal at the Seattle Aquarium tonight, where he'll be talking about the mantis shrimp and stuff.

I've been evangelizing the awesomeness of the mantis shrimp for a decade, glad to see them get more prinentvrecognition : D

Found the same thing when looking for a place to live; most of Seattle proper is pretty kid-unfriendly. Between that and the shitty schools, we're out in the suburbs.

I honestly don't think that Seattle is that kid friendly as cities go, but for my family we did a halfway point. We're Eastside, but we live directly on the 255 bus line. It's a nice combo of what we like about the eastside with still being able to jet into the city super easily on the weekends. If you have to drive, or do multiple transfers it gets way harder / more expensive with kids but a straight shot bus is super easy. We are not city-dwellers, but my kids and I are doing random stuff in the city pretty much every weekend in the winter (Summer is for hiking and camping).

For her 5th birthday my daughter actually picked riding a bus to the city and getting bubble tea for her party. Was fun taking all her eastside friends (and parents) who'd never ridden a bus before into the city and showing them some of what we like to do.

MjFrancis

Love Wallingford from what I've seen of it, but no way in hell am I paying 600k+ for a house.
And what sort of home do you get for that $600k v. paying $200k - $300k in the burbs? I love a lot of the Seattle neighborhoods but I'm content to visit every now and again given the cost of living in the city and the difficulties of raising a family there. It was different when I was young and I used to be in town almost every weekend for something and now I think I've only been three times in the past year. I'm in Tacoma more often these days, but I don't think a Tacoma-GAF would have the same proud ring to it.

There are some nice areas in North Tacoma for sure, but I'd rather live in my little chunk of North Seattle. Where I'm at in Greenlake, I've got the lake, Cowen Park, Woodland Park Zoo, and Mockingbird Books is just down the street. We walk to the University farmers market every Saturday morning, daughter plays at Fremont Brewing with our friends' kids while we hang out, etc. It's not hard raising a kid in Seattle, but there sure aren't a lot of us.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
When my kids get a bit older, I want to find a place out in the woods. I want them to grow up around chickens and goats.

I am thinking around Duvall.

For her 5th birthday my daughter actually picked riding a bus to the city and getting bubble tea for her party. Was fun taking all her eastside friends (and parents) who'd never ridden a bus before into the city and showing them some of what we like to do.

Our daughters were curious about the Double Tall bus that I take to work, so I took a weekday off one week and took them downtown for the day to the SAM, along the water and to GameWorks. They loved it and won't stop bugging me for another trip.

The problem we're facing now is that we're almost ready to buy, but inventory is tight where we are living, and we don't want the kids to switch schools for the second time in as many years, so the area we can purchase is very small.

Heyo again Seattle-GAF,

Looking for advice again,
I want to order and send a gift, preferably whiskey to a friend in Seattle who did a big favour for me this week.

Do ye know of any Seattle based gift online gift stores?

Any help is appreciated :-D

Edit: I've found http://www.downtown-spirits.com/ so I might give them a go.

Top Bottom