• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

devilhawk

Stopped by a friends in queen anne tonight, had to take a photo
1492162_10101814299526169_941872763_o.jpg

TeegsD

So my flight for Vegas is cancelled and I've got some money burning in my pocket and I'd lvoe to check out Seattle. How is Seattle in late March? Is it worth it?

TeegsD

It's a cool city but if you're looking for that traditional beach/sun/bikinis spring break then this isn't the place :p

The weather is fantastic in summer, though.

Well my goal is to move there in the next 5 years, so this would be more of an exploration trip. I dont need the sun and bikinis to pique my interest. Hipsters and starbucks do me just as well. Plus there is a Sounders game the night of March 15th so that would be another plus

cdyhybrid

Well my goal is to move there in the next 5 years, so this would be more of an exploration trip. I dont need the sun and bikinis to pique my interest. Hipsters and starbucks do me just as well. Plus there is a Sounders game the night of March 15th so that would be another plus

Come on out, then!

A lot of music festivals and stuff don't start up until May or June though, so there will probably be more to do in the summer.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I love Seattle. Only been there on trips when I was a bit younger, but I'm always thinking about living there in about 5 or so years down the line. I think it's between Seattle and somewhere in Japan... Who knows. Anyway, I'm glad I stopped in to see this post:

I live in Tokyo and my friend was lecturing me that ramen is better than udon, so I'll try some of these places out. I must be enlightened.
udon is for jerks.

get your ass to Nakamoto Ramen in Shinjuku.

thank me later.

spicy is genuinely goddamn spicy. Don't play.

traveler

Not Wario
Really trying hard to relocate here, but I can't for the life of me get a job offer. Currently live in Georgia and have been attempting, to varying degrees, to move for the past 5 years. It can't just be that I'm exclusively qualified for East Coast jobs but not for West Coast, (gotten several interviews in the east, none in Seattle) so I'm changing up my cover letters to explicitly mention my goal to relocate to the area and willingness to both fly myself out for interviews and relocate all on my own cash.

FWIW, I worked as a associate software engineer in a consulting position at Accenture for a year and half, have a bachelor's in comp sci, and am trying to get a entry level software engineer position. I don't suppose anyone here knows of any smaller companies looking to hire that I might not have come across on the typical DICE/careerbuilder/stackoverflow/monster/etc. postings. I think my other issue may be that I've been targeting companies from various "best of" lists after doing research, when the competition for those companies is probably too stiff. While I'd love to work at those places, I may just have to aim lower for now and hope to work up to them later. Anyways, apologies for cluttering up the thread with my request; just trying to check out all the angles at this point.

On a different note, really loved the city and state when I came through earlier this year. Ended up liking Rainier more than the nearby Olympic NP, though, despite expecting the opposite. (High divide is a lot of climbing for basically one stretch of scenic payoff, Rainier is constant beauty) Didn't have time to go to the Cascades as we were headed on into Canada and the Canadian Rockies, so driving the North Cascades Loop would have been a slight detour. Also need to see the coastal side of Olympic at some point too.

Is Paseo's considered a bit of a tourist trap? The line suggested so, but the sandwich was undeniably tasty. Wish I had given Nug's ramen place a shot, but my brother and I had already filled our ramen craving in Portland (BiWa was the place's name, I think) prior to coming and had heard that Vancouver was really the place to go for ramen, so we didn't even look in Seattle. Always next time, though.

Really trying hard to relocate here, but I can't for the life of me get a job offer. Currently live in Georgia and have been attempting, to varying degrees, to move for the past 5 years. It can't just be that I'm exclusively qualified for East Coast jobs but not for West Coast, (gotten several interviews in the east, none in Seattle) so I'm changing up my cover letters to explicitly mention my goal to relocate to the area and willingness to both fly myself out for interviews and relocate all on my own cash.

FWIW, I worked as a associate software engineer in a consulting position at Accenture for a year and half, have a bachelor's in comp sci, and am trying to get a entry level software engineer position. I don't suppose anyone here knows of any smaller companies looking to hire that I might not have come across on the typical DICE/careerbuilder/stackoverflow/monster/etc. postings. I think my other issue may be that I've been targeting companies from various "best of" lists after doing research, when the competition for those companies is probably too stiff. While I'd love to work at those places, I may just have to aim lower for now and hope to work up to them later. Anyways, apologies for cluttering up the thread with my request; just trying to check out all the angles at this point.

Have you applied for a job at Tableau? They're hiring like crazy now.

Is Paseo's considered a bit of a tourist trap? The line suggested so, but the sandwich was undeniably tasty.

Nope, the food is legit and it's mostly locals in line whenever I go get a sandwich after taking my daughter to the zoo.

dLMN8R

My favorite sandwich place by far is Market House Meats, just a few blocks down from the convention center. Get their Reuben - OMG.

traveler

Not Wario
Have you applied for a job at Tableau? They're hiring like crazy now.

Nope, the food is legit and it's mostly locals in line whenever I go get a sandwich after taking my daughter to the zoo.

Thanks for the tip. Going through all of their openings right now. I think part of the issue is I tend to be a little slower on applications- I don't spam resumes, I research companies before applying, tailor all cover letters to the positions, and go through glassdoor info to even see if I stand a chance in the interviewing process, all before applying. Speaking of which, Tableau looks like they have a pretty brutal, or at least, lengthy interview process, even for entry level software devs. Accenture put in my production support even though I was hired as a java software engineer and did programming work for the initial month there, so it's been 3 years or so since I've had these courses and I'm basically splitting my time between trying to relearn various languages, algorithm design, data structures, and software development philosophies while also actively applying to jobs. I'm confident that I can handle any entry level dev job, as I learn very fast, but companies get so many apps today that they won't need to train someone when they can just hire someone with all the knowledge from the get go.

Anyways, it's worth taking a shot. There are at least a handful of positions on there I could qualify for, so I'll be writing up some cover letters to them today. Definitely need to brush up on some data structures and sorting algorithms specifically, judging by these glassdoor questions.

I'm in a similar position, but different field.

since 90% of the gigs in games seem to be for programmers, you should find something. It's possibly something niggling in your resume. Larger companies tend to have computerised filtering stuff. Smaller companies might actually have a human read your letter and resume.

this might help
http://www.gamedevmap.com/index.php?query=Seattle

also- have you considered going to GDC?

traveler

Not Wario
I'm in a similar position, but different field.

since 90% of the gigs in games seem to be for programmers, you should find something. It's possibly something niggling in your resume. Larger companies tend to have computerised filtering stuff. Smaller companies might actually have a human read your letter and resume.

this might help
http://www.gamedevmap.com/index.php?query=Seattle

also- have you considered going to GDC?

I had looked into game dev jobs a while back out of sheer curiosity, but most require experience on a shipped title, scripting language knowledge, and/or other qualifications I simply don't have, so I wrote them off at the time. I haven't looked through all of Seattle's companies specifically, though, and there are an awful lot of them in the area. I'll check out the list and see if anything fits. Thanks!

Honestly, I'm almost at the point where I feel like I need to go back to school to get a Master's just to get the bare minimum required to enter the field. I had just managed to avoid incurring debt in all aspects of my life thus far and didn't really like the idea of needing to get some just to stand a chance. I have job offers here back in Georgia that I've kind of held off on as I don't see them developing my career in a meaningful way or getting me to where I want to be, but if nothing comes through, a job is a job and I'll have to take them.

I had looked into game dev jobs a while back out of sheer curiosity, but most require experience on a shipped title, scripting language knowledge, and/or other qualifications I simply don't have, so I wrote them off at the time. I haven't looked through all of Seattle's companies specifically, though, and there are an awful lot of them in the area. I'll check out the list and see if anything fits. Thanks!

Honestly, I'm almost at the point where I feel like I need to go back to school to get a Master's just to get the bare minimum required to enter the field. I had just managed to avoid incurring debt in all aspects of my life thus far and didn't really like the idea of needing to get some just to stand a chance. I have job offers here back in Georgia that I've kind of held off on as I don't see them developing my career in a meaningful way or getting me to where I want to be, but if nothing comes through, a job is a job and I'll have to take them.

sorry- I was projecting games onto you when I read programmer. That said, the overall tech sector is huge in the area.

also don't worry about researching the interview until you actually have one scheduled. You may may be overthinking and talking yourself out of applying for a job you might have a decent shot at. Don't limit yourself if you're having difficulty getting your foot in the door.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
If you can program and are looking for a job in the seattle area, look at temp agencies. They can get you job interview really quick. And then once you start working the experience leads you to a full time job.

I have used Volt in the past, look them up, call them. I recommend it.

Trouble

Banned
Thanks for the tip. Going through all of their openings right now. I think part of the issue is I tend to be a little slower on applications- I don't spam resumes, I research companies before applying, tailor all cover letters to the positions, and go through glassdoor info to even see if I stand a chance in the interviewing process, all before applying. Speaking of which, Tableau looks like they have a pretty brutal, or at least, lengthy interview process, even for entry level software devs. Accenture put in my production support even though I was hired as a java software engineer and did programming work for the initial month there, so it's been 3 years or so since I've had these courses and I'm basically splitting my time between trying to relearn various languages, algorithm design, data structures, and software development philosophies while also actively applying to jobs. I'm confident that I can handle any entry level dev job, as I learn very fast, but companies get so many apps today that they won't need to train someone when they can just hire someone with all the knowledge from the get go.

Anyways, it's worth taking a shot. There are at least a handful of positions on there I could qualify for, so I'll be writing up some cover letters to them today. Definitely need to brush up on some data structures and sorting algorithms specifically, judging by these glassdoor questions.

Try Amazon if you love working a lot and carrying a pager. They are always hiring and they pay for relocation if you accept an offer.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Try Amazon if you love working a lot and carrying a pager. They are always hiring and they pay for relocation if you accept an offer.

You don't carry a pager 100% of the time. Just for a week(for me) about once a month. Pager duty rotates between people on your team. Bigger team, bigger breaks between pager duty.

They were actually referring to the video game industry. The person who wrote 'Nintendo' wasn't aware of the industry.

Actually, Parker does the vast majority of temporary hiring for Nintendo's call center during the holidays, so probably a majority of their business is through Nintendo.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
They were actually referring to the video game industry. The person who wrote 'Nintendo' wasn't aware of the industry.

No, I think they are specifically referring to Nintendo. I believe Parker handles most of Nintendo's contractor staffing. I think the other main one is Aerotek.

edit: oops, beaten and the original post wasn't even serious :(

Uneeda Burger in Fremont is really good.

Hell yeah! Get them sweet potato fries and a beer!

blurrygil

Are there any good places to buy video games around here?

Like, retro?

Another Castle in Edmonds I'd most recommend. Game Gurus in Lake City or on Aurora. Super Smash Games down south (Tacoma) is fantastic, too. Pink Gorilla is the most central, but they're super expensive and inventory is spread out amongst their stores.

Used to help put on the Seattle Retro Gaming Expo. Try this:

SeattleRetro - World Map

Hit up @SeattleRetro on Twitter, as well. Good resource for stuff and our annual expo. :)

dLMN8R

God dammit, CenturyLink's site said that my new house in Fremont would be able to get their 40/20 megabit service. But when the technician came out, he discovered the house was connected to a different box than what their system reported. 896Kbit upload max :-X

Comcast it is, I guess.

blurrygil

God dammit, CenturyLink's site said that my new house in Fremont would be able to get their 40/20 megabit service. But when the technician came out, he discovered the house was connected to a different box than what their system reported. 896Kbit upload max :-X

Comcast it is, I guess.

Ugh.

I'm on First Hill and hoping that Wave might have something better to offer than CenturyDeath. Got an appt for a tech to come out next Saturday. Crossing my fingers.

In other news: Ezell's for dinner was tasty....again!

Seattle GAF! I employ you to help and suggest a place to stay for me.

I'm looking to visit in August to see my Alma Mater (Rutgers) play Washington State at CenturyLink Field.

Any suggestions on where to stay in close proximity to the stadium area?

Top Bottom