• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

dubc35

People in this city need to get over the snow. It is going to snow a couple times a year, prepare yourself. If preparing yourself means staying home, that's fine. The freak out, abandon car, lose your shit response is 5+ years late. Get over it.

jb1234

It's definitely very pretty out. The hill I live next to in Capitol Hill gets unprepared drivers every time and sure enough, there were two cars stuck on it just thirty minutes ago.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
People in this city need to get over the snow. It is going to snow a couple times a year, prepare yourself.

:(

Guess it depends on what part of the city you're in... I've been waiting for almost two years to see snow again, and I'm happy about this, damn it.

cdyhybrid

Well, the birthday boy we were going to Iron Bull for isn't able to make it over from Port Orchard now due to the snow. Guess I'll just stay home, play Planetside, and enjoy this:

kMEvmoE.jpg

Lumiere

Neo Member
Went for a drive towards Grasslawn Park in Redmond, took a peek at 520 and it seemed to be completely stuck already. And it hasn't even snowed that much yet!

Very pretty in north Seattle, but drivable. Wife and I had drinks at Hudson Public House in
Maple Leaf, then dinner at Joule in Fremont. Had no problem driving home to Greenlake.

View from the front yard:
T85931W.jpg

Absolutely loving this snow. Just walked home from the bar and it was super relaxing. Hoping it keeps up through tomorrow but I imagine it'll all be gone by the time we wake up.

traveler

Not Wario
Made it to the final interviewing stage with a company. Set for tomorrow. Hoping for the best, as I'd love to be packing my Scion up for another cross country trip, only permanently. :)

Looking to move from Miami to Seattle based on my great experiences there.

Hollatchaboi

Looking to do the same from Atl. Guess all of Dota GAF wants to make the great coast to coast migration some day. :p

traveler

Not Wario
Honestly, the wilderness is a much bigger draw, as nice as convenient access to the International and tons o MTG support from Wizards home town are. I mean, I enjoy the Smokies and some of the northern Georgia wilderness, but they can't compare in the slightest to Rainier, the Cascades, or Olympic. Heck, I regularly do drives up to Dolly Sods in WV- a 12 hour run- and if I was willing to do the same in Seattle, I could do trips to Banff, Jasper, or Robson. It's just not even fair to the southeast to try and compare the two areas. (Would also love to get out of our climate)

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Fuck da Eastside.

I could live in Kirkland near the water. I could live in a fancy part of Bellevue even. But Redmond. man. Imagine giving people directions to your house:

"It's on the corner of 124th and 124th. You know, NE of 148th. No, the other 148th. Not the one that cuts through Bel Red road, the one that stops just before Bel Red road. When you get here we can go to downtown Redmond and buy Western Wear. If we can remember where that one-way high street suddenly just cuts off and forces you onto that other street."

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I could live in Kirkland near the water. I could live in a fancy part of Bellevue even. But Redmond. man. Imagine giving people directions to your house:

"It's on the corner of 124th and 124th. You know, NE of 148th. No, the other 148th. Not the one that cuts through Bel Red road, the one that stops just before Bel Red road. When you get here we can go to downtown Redmond and buy Western Wear. If we can remember where that one-way high street suddenly just cuts off and forces you onto that other street."

I feel the opposite. I hate, HATE Bellevue and Kirkland. I much prefer to live in Redmond.

Granted though, I live a bit out of town. I hate living in cities period. I need my woods.

Stinkles

I feel the opposite. I hate, HATE Bellevue and Kirkland. I much prefer to live in Redmond.

Granted though, I live a bit out of town. I hate living in cities period. I need my woods.

Don't get me wrong, there's many a lake or hillside in Redmond I'd happily live at. I'm talking about the blobby meandering civic planning abortion of the "main" Redmond area. Which in itself is a joke because it's one of the most poorly thought out cities in America.

dLMN8R

lol I take that shuttle every day (except today). Couple of idiots who don't understand how protests work or how they might achieve their goals.

If I didn't take the Connector every day, I'd probably drive. The 545 stop is way too far away to walk to it. So the choice is for me to either add to the congestion or take the Connector - no way in hell am I moving back to the east side. Did these guys think that maybe most Microsoft employees can afford the 545 tolls?

Their observation that the shuttle is always empty is pretty funny - of course it is, that's the first stop in the route. Every shuttle is packed full by the time it's heading into Redmond.

In fact, they monitor and control rider statistics so thoroughly that they'll regularly add or eliminate rides based on demand. You have to reserve every seat ahead of time, and if you miss a reservation enough, you can be temporarily banned from taking it.

Trouble

Banned
lol I take that shuttle every day (except today). Couple of idiots who don't understand how protests work or how they might achieve their goals.

If I didn't take the Connector every day, I'd probably drive. The 545 stop is way too far away to walk to it. So the choice is for me to either add to the congestion or take the Connector - no way in hell am I moving back to the east side. Did these guys think that maybe most Microsoft employees can afford the 545 tolls?

Their observation that the shuttle is always empty is pretty funny - of course it is, that's the first stop in the route. Every shuttle is packed full by the time it's heading into Redmond.

In fact, they monitor and control rider statistics so thoroughly that they'll regularly add or eliminate rides based on demand. You have to reserve every seat ahead of time, and if you miss a reservation enough, you can be temporarily banned from taking it.

Yeah that protest strikes me as rather silly. I would imagine MS gives employees bus passes as well, like most companies in the area. So it's not like their shuttles take funds away from public transit either.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Yep. I think they neglected to see that part of the reason for this protest was probably to get people talking about it though, which they succeeded at.

I don't know, their statement sounded insane. If anything it is going to make people just dismiss it.

The Stranger article said:
This sort of misguided activism drives reasonable people away from a legit issue and makes activism to fix that problem seem like some marginal bullshit.

Same reason why Occupy fizzled out.

Hey look at that, the comments turn into a war on single family homes in Seattle. I'm all for density (my neighbors are condos, apartments and townhouses), but we have the right to exist in urban centers.

Ok, the comments go away from that and raise good points. Glad to see other people remind them that there is more to Seattle than just CH, where more affordable housing is available.

Capitol Hill has cool stuff. Lots of people want to live near that cool stuff. Unfortunately not everyone can live near that cool stuff. Developers will favor higher rents. It sucks. If that's the case, it's time to move to somewhere more affordable and find cool stuff. Seriously, there is cool stuff outside CH.

Stinkles

Capitol Hill has cool stuff. Lots of people want to live near that cool stuff. Unfortunately not everyone can live near that cool stuff. Developers will favor higher rents. It sucks. If that's the case, it's time to move to somewhere more affordable and find cool stuff. Seriously, there is cool stuff outside CH.

the idea that Capitol Hill is suddenly gentrifying is hilarious. It's the location of the city's largest mansions, toniest addresses and leafiest parks since the 19th century.

the idea that Capitol Hill is suddenly gentrifying is hilarious. It's the location of the city's largest mansions, toniest addresses and leafiest parks since the 19th century.

Broadway is very different than it was even five years ago, but there is and always has been money up there. Lots of it. Those mansions a block from the Harvard Exit are beautiful. Kinda surprised they're not protesting outside them.

jb1234

It's changed a lot since I've been here (and I moved there in 1999). Especially North Broadway.

blurrygil

we're the white walkers. Gasworks Park is the wall.

Fuckin lol...

5-6 more years and I'll be three blocks from the Roosevelt light rail station!

#dammitgetherefaster

Nice. Being an old member of the ECS, The Atlantic Crossing is a common drinking hole for me.

It's changed a lot since I've been here (and I moved there in 1999). Especially North Broadway.

Troof.

Been up there just as long (eerie 0_o;) and it's changed so much. A lot of these modernized eateries and "pubs" have been coming in droves. And it seems there's a new condo project every month springing up somewhere. With these streetcar and light rail projects coming in, everyone is trying to come in and monetize on it. But there are some recent bright spots. Being the geek that I am, I love that down on Lower Pine we've FINALLY got tabletop awesomeness in Gamma Ray Games & the Raygun Lounge. That, and John John's Gameroom (albeit I wish were better located) make for some fantastic hangouts on the hill. Although I have to say that the "student" crowd has really taken over; particularly since SU has blown up in the past year or so.

dLMN8R

The thing about gentrification is that it'll eventually work itself out to appease those who hate it.

Look at the abomination on Broadway where the new Bank of America, Einstein, a Dentist, and Office Max all opened up in the last year. It's always nearly completely dead. No one cares about it, no one wants it there, no one shops there, and it probably won't last very long.

Same thing happened with Joule. MOD Pizza, a crappy conveyor belt sushi place, and Baja Fresh already went out of business. Skoah (the makeup place) never has anyone in it. Fucking GNC is empty all the time too.

CorePower Yoga, Menchies, and Blue Moon Burgers survive while practically everything else is dead or dying.

Head down to 19th and Mercer and look at the amazing array of places that opened up - Hello Robin, Cone and Steiner, and Tallulah's are awesome, fairly unique, and seem to be getting plenty of business. Interesting shops bring good business.

Top Bottom