• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

blurrygil

The thing about gentrification is that it'll eventually work itself out to appease those who hate it.

Very true. Still, the growing pains are awful. Very, very awful.

Look at the abomination on Broadway where the new Bank of America, Einstein, a Dentist, and Office Max all opened up in the last year. It's always nearly completely dead. No one cares about it, no one wants it there, no one shops there, and it probably won't last very long.

Same thing happened with Joule. MOD Pizza, a crappy conveyor belt sushi place, and Baja Fresh already went out of business. Skoah (the makeup place) never has anyone in it. Fucking GNC is empty all the time too.

Uuuuuuuuuuuuugh, part of my soul just died.

CorePower Yoga, Menchies, and Blue Moon Burgers survive while practically everything else is dead or dying.

I'd add Genki Sushi does pretty well. And, sadly, the Panera on the block as well. But N. Broadway, Jeebus H, has just been stripped to death of anything interesting. I don't even go to Blue Moon, not since they first opened. Would rather go someplace a little divey-er like Lil' Woodys. Pike/Pine is (surprisingly) thriving, along with 12th Ave. (students) vs. the rest of the Hill.

Head down to 19th and Mercer and look at the amazing array of places that opened up - Hello Robin, Cone and Steiner, and Tallulah's are awesome, fairly unique, and seem to be getting plenty of business. Interesting shops bring good business.[/QUOTE]

Head down to 19th and Mercer and look at the amazing array of places that opened up - Hello Robin, Cone and Steiner, and Tallulah's are awesome, fairly unique, and seem to be getting plenty of business. Interesting shops bring good business.

E 19th? Like, at The Park building by Kingfish?

coldvein

Banned
IMG_6895-366x550.jpg

stop pouring my drink you bum!!!

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Was there like, crazy rain this weekend? Just got back from trip and garage had leak, presumably from backed up gutter.

Was there like, crazy rain this weekend? Just got back from trip and garage had leak, presumably from backed up gutter.

I was doing a half marathon trail run this weekend up in Whidbey Island. Luckily it cleared up some for the run but it was pretty crazy wind and rain all weekend. Went with some other families in a friend's cabin on the water and it was actually really fun chilling inside and watching all the waves and rain.

cdyhybrid

Saturday night was pretty crazy. Was in SoDo for a show at Showbox and I had to pretty much bench press my car door open because it was so windy.

Coppanuva

Does anybody have any info on what finance or international development focused organizations/companies there are in Seattle? My girlfriend is hoping to look for a job in that sector and move to Seattle with me once we graduate, but I don't really know what all is available in those areas there, hoping someone might either know of resources or something with that in mind?

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Hi,

I figured I should introduce myself here seeing as I just moved to Seattle(Kirkland) a few weeks ago. I'm originally from New York. Anything general tips or things I should know are welcome.

Thanks!

dLMN8R

Hi,

I figured I should introduce myself here seeing as I just moved to Seattle(Kirkland) a few weeks ago. I'm originally from New York. Anything general tips or things I should know are welcome.

Thanks!

Welcome! We're (technically) co-workers.

Tip: Don't call Kirkland Seattle :p

Hi,

Thanks!
What?! I had no idea you moved over here. Congratulations.

Let's catch a baseball game or something this summer, man.

cdyhybrid

Hi,

Thanks!

Hello!

Do you still play Terran?
You used to post in the SC2 thread right? It's been a while.

Tashi

Welcome! We're (technically) co-workers.

Tip: Don't call Kirkland Seattle :p

See you at work tomorrow?

Thanks for the tip!

What?! I had no idea you moved over here. Congratulations.

Let's catch a baseball game or something this summer, man.

For sure man! Hell yea

Don't live on the east sid... oh, never mind.

I love Kirkland!

Hello!

Do you still play Terran?
You used to post in the SC2 thread right? It's been a while.

Haha yes, whenever I do play SC2 it's Terran. However my most played PC game is DotA2 these days.

LiveWire

I love Kirkland!

Haha yes, whenever I do play SC2 it's Terran. However my most played PC game is DotA2 these days.

Welcome to the Eastside, it's better over here... been here a year now after living in the city and the time and grief saved commuting has probably added years to my life. Hope Ktown is treating you well; there's 3 breweries opening up soon!

And you play Terran? Clearly you have superior taste.

Chichikov

Why are there so many east siders in a Seattle thread?
I don't go into your threads and butt into conversations about which strip mall has the best TGI Friday's.

I jest, and for the record, Kirkland is the best of the east side. Admittedly, that's like being the world's tallest midget, but it's better being the world's tallest midget than the world's shortest one (AKA Renton).

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Hi,

Thanks!

Seattle Pizza is better than New York. Nothing says high quality Italian Pizza like a doughy gyros pizza with Tsatziki sauce.

:-(

Hi,

Thanks!

Welcome fellow MS-tie. Eastside is better for getting to work. Though 343 is based in Kirkland, right?

Seriously, if it weren't for Black Raven I would have had you guys nuked years ago.

And yes, Black Raven is amazing.

Trouble

Banned
I don't go into your threads and butt into conversations about which strip mall has the best TGI Friday's.

I jest, and for the record, Kirkland is the best of the east side. Admittedly, that's like being the world's tallest midget, but it's better being the world's tallest midget than the world's shortest one (AKA Renton).

fucking lol
brutal

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade

I live outside of Redmond, but work in seattle.

Personally I would rather kill myself then live in a city or suburb. I need my woods.

I enjoy Bellevue. I can walk/run to work, easy access to downtown...especially since I always have a place to crash if needed. Some semblance of bars around, though the crowd is a little too snooty for my taste. I might end up traversing over to Seattle proper at the end of my lease

blurrygil

Seriously, if it weren't for Black Raven I would have had you guys nuked years ago.

LOL.

This.

Personally I would rather kill myself then live in a city or suburb. I need my woods.

Opposite for me. Live on Cap Hill and work in Redmond (NOA, as many of you know).

I need my emergency sirens, crazed hobos, helicopters, awesome people, non-soccer moms, restaurants, non-Audi drivers, Sounders accessible, proper pubs/dives, walking access to everything, Chinatown, random explosions, sports-championship rioting citizens. Oh...and Dick's.

As an added bonus, my commutes are usually pretty dang awesome. :-D

dLMN8R

I enjoy Bellevue. I can walk/run to work, easy access to downtown...especially since I always have a place to crash if needed. Some semblance of bars around, though the crowd is a little too snooty for my taste. I might end up traversing over to Seattle proper at the end of my lease

That's cute. I can run to Green Lake in 5 min but w/e i guess running to work is cool?

Hilbert

LOL.

This.

Opposite for me. Live on Cap Hill and work in Redmond (NOA, as many of you know).

I need my emergency sirens, crazed hobos, helicopters, awesome people, non-soccer moms, restaurants, non-Audi drivers, Sounders accessible, proper pubs/dives, walking access to everything, Chinatown, random explosions, sports-championship rioting citizens. Oh...and Dick's.

Dicks is disgusting. Absolutely terrible burgers. Incidentally a place called Tipsy Cow just opened up in Redmond, great burgers.

I grew up in the deep woods. Most of those things would drive me crazy. I need my woods, my large garden space, my goats and chickens, my backyard, my workspace, and the occasional blackouts due to bad weather.

My commute to work(south lake union) isn't bad at on on the 545. No regrets yet. I can always go to Chinatown or Wallingford if I like(And I do like to, at least every other week). Having kids though kind of dulls my desire to go to dive bars or pubs.

blurrygil

Dicks is disgusting. Absolutely terrible burgers. Incidentally a place called Tipsy Cow just opened up in Redmond, great burgers.

Wasn't worried about quality. Just stating they're something I need in life. :)

Also have Lil Woody's (wooo!), Blue Moon (meh), 8oz (better than meh) and Red Mill around.

I grew up in the deep woods. Most of those things would drive me crazy. I need my woods, my large garden space, my goats and chickens, my backyard, my workspace, and the occasional blackouts due to bad weather.

Zzzzzz... (again, I'm a pure city boy; and not that I'm saying that I would NOT live in the 'burbs sometime, although unlikely)

My commute to work(south lake union) isn't bad at on on the 545. No regrets yet. I can always go to Chinatown or Wallingford if I like(And I do like to, at least every other week). Having kids though kind of dulls my desire to go to dive bars or pubs.

SLU has wicked food trucks, however. All the trucks out here by NOA are on the MSFT campuses *grumbles*.

I grew up and spent a ton of my childhood/teenage years in Chinatown. I'm within easy walking distance and can't really imagine my life without it, as such. I head down there almost daily. Either food, mates, groceries, etc.

And no kids. That's the obvious factor here, lol. :)

I love living in Greenlake. My house is in an awesome location to the lake, great neighborhoods around us. I reverse commute to South King County which rules, and on the weekends we park the car and walk everywhere: U District, Wallingford, Greenwood, Fremont, etc. lots of parks for my daughter, farmers market, coffee shops, cool little kids book store down the street, great restaurants, theaters, and the best beer stuff is in North Seattle.

dLMN8R

I live right by Caffe Appassionato, so that's been a pretty nice surprise after moving here a couple weeks ago. It's no Vivace, but they have great Americanos, drip coffee, and a good selection of food too. Will probably be my standard work-from-home place now :p

I live right by Caffe Appassionato, so that's been a pretty nice surprise after moving here a couple weeks ago. It's no Vivace, but they have great Americanos, drip coffee, and a good selection of food too. Will probably be my standard work-from-home place now :p

The one right off Stone? Blue Star has killer breakfasts and RPM is always on tap.

Herkimer (the Ave) and Zoka (Tangletown) are our favorite coffee spots.

Tashi

Welcome to the Eastside, it's better over here... been here a year now after living in the city and the time and grief saved commuting has probably added years to my life. Hope Ktown is treating you well; there's 3 breweries opening up soon!

And you play Terran? Clearly you have superior taste.

Ktown definitely is. Find out if I get the apt I applied for over here to today. It's like 5 minute walking distance from work. *fingers crossed*

Seattle Pizza is better than New York. Nothing says high quality Italian Pizza like a doughy gyros pizza with Tsatziki sauce.

:-(

I supposed we can suffer together :(

Welcome fellow MS-tie. Eastside is better for getting to work. Though 343 is based in Kirkland, right?

Yes, 343 is in Kirkland.

jb1234

Hell yeah! Capitol Hill, unite!

blurrygil

Wholly agree. I go with coworkers semi-frequently post work or for get togethers. Although out usual go-to is the Malt & Vine, due to the variety.

Love that place. It's a bit old school and serve up some fantastic shots. Go to the QA one every time we head up to 5 Spot.

Hell yeah! Capitol Hill, unite!

GET IN, SON!!!! One of these weekends we need to hit up Raygun Lounge for some tabletop, some Vostok for dinner and close it out @ John John's with towers of tallboy Rainiers; all while getting wasted and getting pissed at the TMNT machine (if it's still there...)!!

Now I'm all hyped at the thought...!!

Trouble

Banned
GET IN, SON!!!! One of these weekends we need to hit up Raygun Lounge for some tabletop, some Vostok for dinner and close it out @ John John's with towers of tallboy Rainiers; all while getting wasted and getting pissed at the TMNT machine (if it's still there...)!!

Now I'm all hyped at the thought...!!

That sounds pretty damn good. I'll make it out if I can.

Malt & Vine is quite amazing as well. When I interned at MS I would bike down there, get a growler filled up and bike back to my apartment. I was dumb enough back then to not pool the money with buds and rent some cheap place downtown and pocked the extra apt money MS gives.

Chichikov

This I get. Not my thing, but if you need to get your Grizzly Adams on, go for it.
But living in a soulless exburb like Bellevue over Seattle, man, the mind just boggles. It's not even cheap to live there.

This I get. Not my thing, but if you need to get your Grizzly Adams on, go for it.
But living in a soulless exburb like Bellevue over Seattle, man, the mind just boggles. It's not even cheap to live there.

That toll everyday is a hassle. And I don't like riding buses because I like to have control over my transportation. Also, I do weird hours.

Hilbert

Soul is a weird thing. I don't see it in Bellevue much or Seattle. I get so depressed walking through the city, when I see the tree roots fighting so hard for the 2 ft by 2 ft patch exposed dirt.

Cities depress me.

Redmond had its moments though. Last Christmas at Redmond town center there was a mariachi band playing, and just people having fun around them. Little kids were dancing in that hilarious way that kids do. Just a great time. I have been involved in the local public gardens and food banks, and there is a great community in Redmond.

Soul is a weird thing. I don't see it in Bellevue much or Seattle. I get so depressed walking through the city, when I see the tree roots fighting so hard for the 2 ft by 2 ft patch exposed dirt.

Cities depress me.

Do yourself a favor and never go to some lesser city without trees like one of those awful desert cities or something.

Top Bottom