• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Seattle-GAF!

dLMN8R

You just gotta get there early, put your name on the list, they'll text you when a table is ready (with a 15-minute grace period). Hang out in Ballard in the meantime :)

blurrygil

You just gotta get there early, put your name on the list, they'll text you when a table is ready (with a 15-minute grace period). Hang out in Ballard in the meantime :)

Can't you make reservations on the phone too? I do this at Raygun. They always hook me up, too. They even go as far as booting groups that they think they can afford to do so with, lol. I like them. :)

It was a beautiful day in Kirkland today. I heard it's going to get shitty through the weekend though :/

I just can't wait until the Spring is here and then Summer. In other news, I just signed the lease on my apartment today. I'll be living in Kirkland for at least the next year. Woohoo! I move in on Saturday.

Congrats man! I've been in Kirkland for 9 years and I still really enjoy it. 343 is in the old Bungie building downtown right? That should be a perfect commute for you, just walk out the door. If your apartment is somewhere near the main strip at least.

Side note:
I was pulling some pictures off of my camera today and I pulled this stitched one from a hike with the family up at Gold Creek over the winter. We really live in a beautiful place here in the Pacific Northwest. Can't think of many other places that combine both a nice big metropolitan city with places like this that are like 40 min away by car.

DSC06657_stitch.jpg

Phthisis

Congrats man! I've been in Kirkland for 9 years and I still really enjoy it. 343 is in the old Bungie building downtown right? That should be a perfect commute for you, just walk out the door. If your apartment is somewhere near the main strip at least.

Side note:
I was pulling some pictures off of my camera today and I pulled this stitched one from a hike with the family up at Gold Creek over the winter. We really live in a beautiful place here in the Pacific Northwest. Can't think of many other places that combine both a nice big metropolitan city with places like this that are like 40 min away by car.

DSC06657_stitch.jpg

Where is this?

I've been thinking about going to Lake Chelan for a weekend this summer.

Or you can grab a game and play in the board game area until your table is ready. That's what I usually do.

DiscoJon

Banned
Got a friend coming over from the East side of the state (no, not the "east side", the actual eastern side of WA state) tomorrow to spend a day or two in Seattle. He wants to hit up some record stores while he is in Seattle. I've already agreed to meet up with him in Ballard to hit up Bop Street and Sonic Boom, but I'd like to get some more recommendations on what stores to hit up to get some quality vinyl.

He's mostly into Alt-rock from the 90's to today. Me? I'll buy just about anything.

So far I have:

Ballard: Bop Street, Sonic Boom

Northgate: Silver Platters

West Seattle: Easy Street Records

SoDo: Silver Platters

I've always though Jive Time in Fremont was completely overrated. Last I heard the Sonic Boom there closed as well.

Anywhere else of note?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I've already agreed to meet up with him in Ballard to hit up Bop Street and Sonic Boom, but I'd like to get some more recommendations on what stores to hit up to get some quality vinyl.

Bop Street's selection is pretty outstanding and the guys there are great to talk with (I go in maybe once a year and they still remember me by name every time), but they're also VERY expensive. For my tastes, Sonic Boom isn't a worthwhile stop, but they're certainly a longtime favorite around the area.

Silver Platters Northgate is a dump and not worth the trip; their SoDo spot is awesome, though, and probably my favorite shop in the city. I find all my oddball '80s Japanese vinyl there, heh.

Wall of Sound on Pike and 12th is pretty cool, albeit small. Selection leans pretty heavily towards outsider stuff, drone/noise, punk, jazz, etc.. but if you're open to browsing, I'd almost guarantee you'll end up buying something interesting. Everyday Music on Pine and 10th has one of the best and biggest "recently traded" bins around, breaking it up into days of the week, with each day taking up almost an entire row itself. I rarely leave here without buying a few things. Their regular stock is fairly routine, though, and not that much fun to flip through.

I used to like Easy Street in Queen Anne, but the West Seattle location disappoints me constantly. I've stopped going for now.

Phthisis

This thread makes me think we should start a GF CK reserve group. When someone heads over there, posts in the thread, people respond if they're confirming they will also go, first person puts name in with number of people attending, minimizes wait time for everyone.

blurrygil

Do you move the game to the bar when the table opens up, or just abandon it? Or just play short fillers?

Since those tables only really fit 2 for tabletop, perhaps more for card games; I'd likely just play fillers. But I've seen groups of 4 cram on those tables for learning Ticket to Ride and such.

But since I mostly host fairly meaty sessions and larger groups, I'd much rather reserve a table at Raygun. Their food and drink selection is crap, but they have tons of space, is in my 'hood, and there's lots of places to get great food from nearby.

This thread makes me think we should start a GF CK reserve group. When someone heads over there, posts in the thread, people respond if they're confirming they will also go, first person puts name in with number of people attending, minimizes wait time for everyone.

I would be THRILLED to do that, if other local-GAF are willing to come out. Same goes for Raygun Lounge. Or shit, my place can host plenty (got a 6'x2.5' table and an arcade).

blurrygil

NOT YET mothafucka

but i hope they accept and approve of my application for the fall

Nice, man! Had no idea you were making this move. Having a lady is influencing you in all SORTS of crazy ways, lol. (totally jk)

You still at Marination? Haven't seen ya.

coldvein

Banned
Nice, man! Had no idea you were making this move. Having a lady is influencing you in all SORTS of crazy ways, lol. (totally jk)

You still at Marination? Haven't seen ya.

you havent seen me because im only working ~15 hrs a week, most of my time spent at SCCC trying to put the 4.0 on my associate of arts degree. i dont want to give these fools any reason to not take me. moving here, i was told, yo vein, you're not asian, good luck getting into that school. current understanding being that they have a certain quota of WA residents - and i hope to make it in on that. my school has a 66.5% transfer rate to UW - not as high as i would like. i could get rejected. just been giving it the old college try brah.

blurrygil

you havent seen me because im only working ~15 hrs a week, most of my time spent at SCCC trying to put the 4.0 on my associate of arts degree. i dont want to give these fools any reason to not take me. moving here, i was told, yo vein, you're not asian, good luck getting into that school. current understanding being that they have a certain quota of WA residents - and i hope to make it in on that. my school has a 66.5% transfer rate to UW - not as high as i would like. i could get rejected. just been giving it the old college try brah.

Oh word. That's awesome, man. I ended up out at Wazzu, but mainly for convenience and course reasons.

But 67% is actually quite good. I've had 2 close friends go from SCCCCCCCCCcccCCccccccCCeeceeceeceesisisisisisi to UW in the past 5 years or so, which both said they did very well academically, which was paramount on their applications. So I wouldn't put too much doubt into it.

Well, I'll have to get lucky some day in catching up with you, then. Or we should make one of these GAF meetups happen, eh? :)

There are really not that many Asians at UW. 23% of the student body are Asian, while 48% are white. But I never hear people complain about the number of white people. I've heard people casually say things like, "Ew, why would you want to go there? There are so many Asians."
Anyone here go to UW?
International student here. (Stealin' all yer acceptances, but funding the economy all the same.)

UW never even showed up on my radar during applications. It was either California through Cal Poly S.L. Obispo or UC Santa Barbara , Carnegie-Mellon, or Texas Tech as my last-resort-oh-shit-I-fucked-up-during-school-Applications-Didn't-I.

UT Austin wouldn't accept me, at least I was pretty sure, due to the Texas law requiring admission for the top 10% in your class (I was in the top 15%). I knew someone who got into Harvard and didn't get into Austin, thus sure as hell knew I wouldn't have gotten in.

coldvein

Banned
yeah, UW is the only school i applied to. i want to stay in seattle.

if i dont make it in you betta lock up your house, your daughters, you liquor cabinet, you "good schools", your "45th Street", your ramen, everything. cuz ill take it.

blurrygil

There are really not that many Asians at UW. 23% of the student body are Asian, while 48% are white. But I never hear people complain about the number of white people. I've heard people casually say things like, "Ew, why would you want to go there? There are so many Asians."International student here. (Stealin' all yer acceptances, but funding the economy all the same.)

I see you walking to the bus stop every morning. I wave but you ignore me.

I'm sorryyyyy. ;___; I legit had no idea. I'm usually a zombie in the morning and barely catching my bus on time. School is turning me into a mess. I woke up with my feet towards the headboard. Maybe I'm possessed.

Phthisis

UW never even showed up on my radar during applications. It was either California through Cal Poly S.L. Obispo or UC Santa Barbara , Carnegie-Mellon, or Texas Tech as my last-resort-oh-shit-I-fucked-up-during-school-Applications-Didn't-I.

UT Austin wouldn't accept me, at least I was pretty sure, due to the Texas law requiring admission for the top 10% in your class (I was in the top 15%). I knew someone who got into Harvard and didn't get into Austin, thus sure as hell knew I wouldn't have gotten in.

I got my B.S. in Journalism from Cal Poly SLO (yes, a Bachelor of Science in journalism. Long story about them losing accreditation so they couldn't give out B.A. degrees).

Majestad

Banned
What are my chances of getting into UW? I got an AA degree with 3.5 GPA. I am Latino. Diversity must count for something, right? Haha

Top Bottom