• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega 3D Classics Wave 2 |OT| October: 3D Sonic 2

@MUWANdo

Banned
I can't remember but I think the double-pack is just a slipcase with both games at a bundled price (around 7000 yen, as opposed to around 4500 yen for each individual game).

Neff

I don't know why I find altered beast so playable, I find it easier to fire up than objectively better games like Shinobi III.

Rise from your grave!

It's super-stylish, affectionately goofy, and a gaming icon in its own right. It's also nice and short, and not too challenging, which makes it a fun, satisfying way to kill 15-20 minutes. It's just awesome, basically.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Sega 3D Archives Volume 1 doesn't work correctly with the region-free exploit and there no way of knowing whether Volume 2 will work, either.

It's super-stylish, affectionately goofy, and a gaming icon in its own right. It's also nice and short, and not too challenging, which makes it a fun, satisfying way to kill 15-20 minutes. It's just awesome, basically.

I would be a lot more excited about it for all the reasons you named if it was the arcade version. The Genesis version always bummed me out though, even back in the day - such a clumsy port visually.

Sega 3D Archives Volume 1 doesn't work correctly with the region-free exploit and there no way of knowing whether Volume 2 will work, either.
I know that is true for regionthree and regionfour.

These days is a newer game loader for homebrew (HANS). Is it still the case there? I honestly could not find an answer (especially as compatibility info in general is muddled due to the initial release of HANS having a few bugs and some things being settings dependent).

Neff

I would be a lot more excited about it for all the reasons you named if it was the arcade version. The Genesis version always bummed me out though, even back in the day - such a clumsy port visually.

I admit I'd prefer the arcade version myself, but I'm often glad to have the Mega Drive version, if only because the arcade version is brutally hard. The difference in challenge between the two versions is astronomical. The Mega Drive version on hard is actually easier than the arcade version on normal.

Slermy

I love Mega Man, Sonic and even Pokémon, but even after picking up Pulseman on the Wii Virtual Console, I could just not get into it. The gameplay just didn't click for me. :(

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I love Mega Man, Sonic and even Pokémon, but even after picking up Pulseman on the Wii Virtual Console, I could just not get into it. The gameplay just didn't click for me. :(

I feel it is not as good as its reputation suggests, due probably to it becoming so expensive on the second hand market and due to its Game Freak heritage. It's fine, glad I only spent $10 on it, and it doesn't really belong on the Top __ Genesis games list, so cool it didn't end up there.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Pulseman gets a lot better from about halfway in but it starts really poorly and I don't blame people for writing it off. I remember Ken Sugimori saying the same thing when they re-released it for VC, even.

If they do start doing third-party games (and there's no indication that they will), I wonder how they'd pick them... would they limit them to one per publisher? Would they give precedence to the games Sega ported in-house? Who knows.

sörine

Banned
Pulseman gets a lot better from about halfway in but it starts really poorly and I don't blame people for writing it off. I remember Ken Sugimori saying the same thing when they re-released it for VC, even.

If they do start doing third-party games (and there's no indication that they will), I wonder how they'd pick them... would they limit them to one per publisher? Would they give precedence to the games Sega ported in-house? Who knows.
I doubt we see Capcom, Namco, Konami, etc games coming out of this. Those publishers would push their own retro initiatives. Maybe smaller or inactive 3rd parties like Sunsoft or Twenty-One (Tecnosoft) could happen. I'm still a little confused on calling Pulseman a 3rd party game but not Gunstar Heroes though.

IrishNinja

the one you don't play
sass2.png

mclem

Also, what do I have to do for Phantasy Star? Frankly, there's not much they could do with it 3D-wise, but making the games widely available again is a must. Rebalancing PS1 would also be good, if they're up to it.

If they were going to do Phantasy Star 1, putting a basic mapping tool on the bottom screen would be a nice touch. It couldn't be as integrated as EO's, of course, but having something entirely passive in the mix would still be a great benefit.

ash_ag

If they were going to do Phantasy Star 1, putting a basic mapping tool on the bottom screen would be a nice touch. It couldn't be as integrated as EO's, of course, but having something entirely passive in the mix would still be a great benefit.

Frankly, even putting a plain drawing tool would be a good start. EO's maps draw themselves for the most part, but PS1 not only lacks a map system to begin with, but there isn't even a mechanism to denote where you came from and where you're going as far as I remember. Truly the original Draw-the-Map-Yourself game. :p

AmyS

What would you say is the best ver. of Altered Beast?

On a Nintendo system, the best version of Altered Beast is the Wii Virtual Console Arcade version. This is the original System 16B arcade game.

couple of quick review videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf_qMouRKZI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrc0qZYh-Xs

Seems a lot of people think that the only version of Altered Beast on Wii is the regular Mega Drive / Genesis version for the regular Wii Virtual Console. Video of that here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHGT9Z_l5GA

You don't even get the fun ending with any version that's based on the Mega Drive / Genesis Altered Beast, (regular VC and 3DS).
Just for fun... Altered Beast arcade PCB, rom board sitting on top of the system 16 motherboard. vs Genesis cartridge.

vuP1k8o.jpg
o2AC3h1.jpg

WptiSSV.jpg
18UfNGB.jpg

@MUWANdo

Banned
I second Starwolf_UK's question: does the first Archives compilation work with the latest HANS/themehax release?

I looked into this just now and the answer is... kinda? You can now play every game on the cart but you have to reset the system in order to boot individual games or something, so while it's possible it's definitely not convenient.

Espiox

I looked into this just now and the answer is... kinda? You can now play every game on the cart but you have to reset the system in order to boot individual games or something, so while it's possible it's definitely not convenient.

I'll take it! I assume that'll get better over time. Thanks for the info.

I'm going to Japan this week and I'll be buying that compilation regardless.

Tizoc

Figures the arcade ver. of Altered Beast has far better animations than the Genesis ver. :p

EDIT: HOLY SHIT DAT ENDING FOR AB ARCADE

deadfolk

Europe doesn't have any of the Sega themes yet, no.

Sega Japan put up pages for 3D Power Drift and 3D Puyo Tsu:

http://archives.sega.jp/3d/archives2/powerdrift/index.html

http://archives.sega.jp/3d/archives2/puyo2/index.html

They haven't listed any major new features, just the typical dipswitch/control-edit stuff (different gear change options for Power Drift, toggles/options for things like offset, margin time and rule henka for Puyo).

Power Drift? I think a little pee just came out of me.

Top Bottom