• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega 3D Classics Wave 2 |OT| October: 3D Sonic 2

The Game Gear and Genesis themes are up on the Theme Shop too.

I definitely agree with the folks who prefer Mega Drive branding over Genesis's, but I have to admit I'm much more attached to the Sega CD BIOS music than Mega CD's.

Sojiro

This is considered the best Sonic, right?

Depending on who you ask, usually I see either Sonic 2 or Sonic 3/3&K as the best Sonic games. Personally, I have to go with 2, but 3&K are right up there as well.

Definitely thanks for the heads up, will be picking this up for sure.

ghibli99

Just read the interview. Damn, just reading the part about how the bonus stages were converted makes this a must-buy. I was going to buy it anyway, but getting all the background technical info just blows my mind with how much effort goes into these.

This is considered the best Sonic, right?
Yeah, it really depends. Some have a soft spot for 1... gameplay/control-wise, I prefer 3, but 2 is probably the best balance between 1 and 3. I think I might be in the minority when I say CD is my least favorite.

Anyone try local co-op? How well does it run?

Wait so it's confirmed to have the coop? I've been frantically looking for someone to confirm that.

And by co-op i mean player 1 as sonic, player 2 as tails, going through the campaign. Not that silly little competitive multiplayer mode thing. I don't care much for that.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Hoping for some kind of bundle for the themes. I'd totally buy most of them so they can be shuffled.

Well, after playing for 5 minutes... GET IT. It's a visual treat, a very interesting port of Sonic 2 and the added options are brilliant, as with all Sega 3D classics.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Japanese and international version, Pop in or out 3D, CRT mode and Model 1 or 2 Mega Drive music. I think that's everything.

Hm, nothing as drastic as Shinobi III's new controls (which make a huge difference in how the game plays), but still, not bad. Think I might pick this and SoR2 up really soon.

Tizoc

Refresh my memory; which SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis model had the best/better audio output?
I watched a video weeks ago showing the different outputs of the models, but I couldn't tell which one was better :X

Refresh my memory; which SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis model had the best/better audio output?
I watched a video weeks ago showing the different outputs of the models, but I couldn't tell which one was better :X
Model 1 has the best. Especially the early units with "High Definition Graphics" printed on the top.

Arkeband

Banned
sonic 2 is better than S3&K

This is false.

Sonic 2 would have been great if you had the ability to go back through the earlier levels with Super Sonic, but with the one-playthrough setup, I think the earliest I ever got to use it was Oil Ocean.

S3&K adding Hyper forms and allowing you to revisit earlier levels was the pinnacle of Sonic game design.

Surta

This is false.

Sonic 2 would have been great if you had the ability to go back through the earlier levels with Super Sonic, but with the one-playthrough setup, I think the earliest I ever got to use it was Oil Ocean.

You can get all 7 Chaos Emeralds by the end of Emerald Hill Zone Act 2, and beat the very first boss with Super Sonic. I've done that on the original hardware, it's easy. You just need to know where all the star posts are.

Also, the reset trick. Doing a soft reset (on the original hardware, I don't know if it's possible on the 3DS ports) will restart the game, but not clear the part of the memory that remembers how many Chaos Emeralds you have. Therefore, you can start a new game, get to and complete the first Special Stage, then reset and repeat until you have them all.

Or you could simply go to the sound test and enter the cheat code...

Owari

Can confirm that cross-region local play does not work at all, even if the game region settings are the same.

God I hate region locking. What the hell, Nintendo/Sega? Surely you bro down with your international co-workers on trips and such.. Do you really expect them to carry your region's 3DS? So dumb

That's the one thing this port is really missing, Knuckles as playable. Seeing as sonic(3) & knuckles getting a 3D classic port at this time is up in the air, who knows if we'll ever get that.

Kirlia

Banned
That's the one thing this port is really missing, Knuckles as playable. Seeing as sonic(3) & knuckles getting a 3D classic port at this time is up in the air, who knows if we'll ever get that.

I'm really surprised that Knuckles in Sonic 2 wasn't a bonus mode. Maybe they tried and it didn't work out?...

IMG_2397_zpsbbhjlnm3.jpg

...and so I guess that's that ='(

THANK YOU M2 and Sega for doing such a brilliant job!
Relieving some of my early childhood memories (and discovering a couple of new gems) in such excellently done ports has been an amazing experience.
I will cherish these version of these games for a very long time.

Should the series continue I will definitely buy every single entry as I imagine many others will.
Please bring Power Drift and Puyo over!

and get to work on Virtua Racing, Virtua Fighter, Sonic 3, Comix Zone, Dynamite Heady.....

I'm really surprised that Knuckles in Sonic 2 wasn't a bonus mode. Maybe they tried and it didn't work out?...

I suspect that's probably not it. I can only assume they held it back on purpose in case they ever choose to release S&K on the 3DS, so that they can include it as a bonus for people with both games that way.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Hm, nothing as drastic as Shinobi III's new controls (which make a huge difference in how the game plays), but still, not bad. Think I might pick this and SoR2 up really soon.

The extra mode they added starts you with 10 rings at the beginning of every stage and makes it so you only drop half of your rings when you get hit... nothing major but nice to have all the same.

(That Shinobi 3 mode wasn't technically new, either--you can do it in the original game using a cheat code.)

Zubz

Banned
I suspect that's probably not it. I can only assume they held it back on purpose in case they ever choose to release S&K on the 3DS, so that they can include it as a bonus for people with both games that way.

That'd make sense; when they released the 4 Genesis games last gen, Knuckles mode was patched into Sonics 2 & 3 and could be accessed if they system had S&K saved to it.

Or at least, the Virtual Console did. Which was pretty impressive, since Nintendo almost never touches games on the Virtual Console, except to get rid of some Metroid/Kid Icarus passwords and to let you save pictures from Pokemon Snap.

batfax

Man, I can't decide between the Game Gear and Genesis themes. Any video of the Genny one?

I adore the Game Gear one. The Genesis one is cool too, but man... that Shining Force jingle whenever the Game Gear one starts up is just too good. Fortunately the 3DS's theme shuffle thingie lets me not have to choose.

DonMigs85

I adore the Game Gear one. The Genesis one is cool too, but man... that Shining Force jingle whenever the Game Gear one starts up is just too good. Fortunately the 3DS's theme shuffle thingie lets me not have to choose.

Decided to go with Game Gear for now and will wait for the Dreamcast one next

@MUWANdo

Banned
Are the SEGA themes not up on EU 3DS eShop?

I'd like to know this as well.

They're not out in PAL regions, no, but they were confirmed coming.

There were subtle hardware changes between Model 1 and Model 2 (and all variants in between) that caused differences in sound levels, slight distortion, etc. Model 1 sound is "optimal" but if you grew up with Model 2 sound it'll probably seem unnatural, so just go with whichever setting you prefer.

Top Bottom