• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega 3D Classics Wave 2 |OT| October: 3D Sonic 2

Robin64

So people are reporting on Miiverse that Sonic 2's physics can be a bit janky. Anyone experienced anything odd?

WVW69idvIJgseyaAMb

WVW69idv4vQ4XUmWgm

Sonic 1 3D was incredible, I might have to get this one too.

IMO it's the best available port of the game, because the 3D effect is great and the added features are nice as well.

So what's up with the horribly scratchy "Sega" scream? Everything else sounds as it should.

I'm glad that I'm not the only one who noticed this. I thought it may have been my speakers dying out. It has a very grainy, crackly sound to it, which is odd given that the Sonic 1 port doesn't have this problem. It was a very jarring introduction.

Espiox

I wonder if they'll end up doing a Virtua Racing port? I realized today that everything they've mentioned in interviews (Thunder Blade, 3D Maze Hunter, Power Drift, Puyo Puyo, etc) has ended up getting made, and they name drop Virtua Racing hard at the end of the Sonic 2 interview.

AmyS

I wonder if they'll end up doing a Virtua Racing port? I realized today that everything they've mentioned in interviews (Thunder Blade, 3D Maze Hunter, Power Drift, Puyo Puyo, etc) has ended up getting made, and they name drop Virtua Racing hard at the end of the Sonic 2 interview.

Maybe for Handheld NX.

Slermy

Bought Sonic 2. Loving it.

But SEGA, give North America and Europe:

uiakwim.png

And Puyo Puyo 2!

Man, if they included the 32X extras I'd be in heaven. I believe the Saturn and PS2 ports also had extra levels/cars, but I don't know if those were any good.

Puyo Puyo and Power Drift aren't listed as bonuses for the retail collection like the Master System games are. I'd bet they'll just briefly be exclusive to it before they're sold individually.

And I'm certain that they'll both make it to the West somehow as well.

Man, I need to get on 3D Sonic 2, still my favorite Sonic game ever. Will never forget the first time I played it at a friend's house shortly after release way back in Fall '92 after drooling for months over all the ads and previews in EGM and Gamepro. Growing up in the golden age of the 16-bit era was incredible.

Also, LTTP but 3D Gunstar Heroes is UH-mayZING. M2 = nonstop awesome.

AmyS

I do wonder if M2 will expand Sega Classics to the NX Handheld, and if at least one SKU will have 3D. -- System 32 - Model 1 and Model 2 games. -- Their internal Mega Drive emulator 'Giga Drive' for 3DS. -- As any Sega Saturn fan knows, the project started out as Giga Drive, supposedly based on System 32, before being split between Mars/32X and Saturn.

Origins of 32-bit Sega console / Giga Drive in the gaming press. EGM - Letters to the Editor - Late 1990 / early '91

(issue 16, Nov. 1990)
kXBsh66.jpg

for comparison, System16.com pics of the System 32 and System Multi 32 boards:

34DzuHI.jpg

vXcn6g2.jpg

(Issue 19, Feb. '91) Edit: got the scan.

LjR0hQJ.png

j6UB3HM.png

(issue 21, April '91)
85c4LOs.jpg

Rad Mobile, obviously ^

One of the flyers for Rad Mobile:

VZoVKjz.jpg

As you can see, the two EGM pics of Rad Mobile are two of the pics in the flyer. And yes, the Saturn had a not-so-perfect port of Rad Mobile, called Gale Racer.

Edit: The only other hope I can think of for System 32 games like Golden Axe Revenge of Death Adder and Rad Mobile being made into Sega 3D Classics, assuming the Handheld NX does not have 3D, is bringing them exclusively to New 3DS, since it has a large increase in CPU; double the cores from 2 to 4, and much higher clockspeed.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Played through the game tonight. It's a really good port... as I guess would be expected of M2. Everything about it just felt right. Even the slowdown was accurate, from what I could tell.

AmyS

Regarding the various Sonic 2 betas and levels cut from the final Genesis game, I know there is a ton of material out there on the internet, I read some of it a long time ago and played some of them.

Sonic experts, refresh my memory, what are the best betas and which ones, if any, feature more parallax layers?

Slermy

Do they have plans to sell that standalone on the JP Eshop? Or will it only be in the compilation?

I thought about buying the GameGear version but... blech.

They haven't said anything yet.

Regarding the GameGear version, I picked it up (still supporting M2!) and it's okay in a pinch. The puzzle mode is unique to it, so that's nice. However, if you're really dying for Puyo Puyo on the go, Project Mirai DX has a Hatsune Miku themed version of it as a bonus mode and it's unlocked from the start. Even includes multiplayer.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Regarding the various Sonic 2 betas and levels cut from the final Genesis game, I know there is a ton of material out there on the internet, I read some of it a long time ago and played some of them.

Sonic experts, refresh my memory, what are the best betas and which ones, if any, feature more parallax layers?

The betas are notable for the unused/unfinished data hidden in the ROM; if you just want to play the games and experience new things there's not much point in tracking them down as they're mostly just unfinished/unpolished versions of the same content that's in the final game.

There are hacks that seek to recreate or implement unused/scrapped data from the beta ROMs but you can't necessarily call them "authentic" because they're mostly just guesswork on the part of whoever made them. Even the Hidden Palace zone included in the Taxman port is essentially an original stage that mixes some of the old unused assets with new assets made specifically for the port.

AmyS

The betas are notable for the unused/unfinished data hidden in the ROM; if you just want to play the games and experience new things there's not much point in tracking them down as they're mostly just unfinished/unpolished versions of the same content that's in the final game.

There are hacks that seek to recreate or implement unused/scrapped data from the beta ROMs but you can't necessarily call them "authentic" because they're mostly just guesswork on the part of whoever made them. Even the Hidden Palace zone included in the Taxman port is essentially an original stage that mixes some of the old unused assets with new assets made specifically for the port.

Thank you, pretty much as I thought.

What about Sonic 1 betas, is there a playable one that has the extra layers of scrolling seen at one of the Tokyo Toy Shows (1990 or '91) ?

Stopdoor

I can't figure out what the 'Replay' option is supposed to do in Sonic 2 - it seems to always say it's recording data on the lower screen, but that never seems to change.

Can't find any info about it in the manual or anywhere else.

Espiox

I can't figure out what the 'Replay' option is supposed to do in Sonic 2 - it seems to always say it's recording data on the lower screen, but that never seems to change.

Can't find any info about it in the manual or anywhere else.

When you finish a run, the button lets you save your replay.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I don't know why I find altered beast so playable, I find it easier to fire up than objectively better games like Shinobi III.

Rise from your grave!

ghibli99

I don't know why I find altered beast so playable, I find it easier to fire up than objectively better games like Shinobi III.

Rise from your grave!
It's more of an arcade experience, which can be beat in like, what, less than 10 minutes if you grab all 3 of the first orbs? Shinobi III is a very long game by comparison. This is probably why I gravitate to the arcade games of this collection more than the Genesis ones. Altered Beast enjoys the fact that it's both. :)

KevinCow

Banned
Playing Sonic 2 for the first time in years, I've come to two conclusions:

1) Oil Ocean boss is a dick, and sends you back way too far when you die.

2) Sonic 3 is better.

I hope they do 3D Sonic 3 & Knuckles.

Kirlia

Banned
Thank you, pretty much as I thought.

What about Sonic 1 betas, is there a playable one that has the extra layers of scrolling seen at one of the Tokyo Toy Shows (1990 or '91) ?

If any Sonic 1 betas still exist, they haven't been leaked yet...I don't think.

ash_ag

Picked Sonic 2, and I'm like woah!

Take a look at this:
1UtrJOi.gif

Now consider the following facts:
  • Pulseman is a top-notch Sonic-meets-Mega Man Mega Drive game
  • It features wonderful 2D art, including awesome backgrounds that make use of parallax effects
  • The game never had a fair chance in the west, only ever having a Wii VC release that wasn't even translated
  • Like all games in Wave 1 and 2, it was published by Sega
  • It was developed by Game Freak, who has a strong affiliation with Nintendo because of Pokémon (duh)
  • Ken Sugimori, the artist behind the Sega 3D Classics illustrations, was the game's art director
Let the above sink in and answer me this question: why would the game not release via Wave 3? What cruel, sadistic set of circumstances prevents the single most logical next step for the series?

Also, what do I have to do for Phantasy Star? Frankly, there's not much they could do with it 3D-wise, but making the games widely available again is a must. Rebalancing PS1 would also be good, if they're up to it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Pulseman would be amazing to have as a part of this, especially since it never came out in the US.
Well technically, it did, as it was on the Wii Virtual Console, as ash_ag mentioned, plus on that Sega Channel thing (though no US cartridge version exists), but I totally would be up for a 3D Classics version.

I don't think it even mattered that it wasn't translated since all the cutscenes had English voices, as I recall.

IrishNinja

oh man, Pulseman already looks amazing, and yeah it's a gem of a game we never got so it'd be perfect...does Gamefreak remember it exists though?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
oh man, Pulseman already looks amazing, and yeah it's a gem of a game we never got so it'd be perfect...does Gamefreak remember it exists though?
I recall Volt Tackle is a reference to Pulseman, not to mention Pikachu's Final Smash in SSB seems very similar to Pulseman when he changes into a ball of electricity.

Also, what do I have to do for Phantasy Star? Frankly, there's not much they could do with it 3D-wise, but making the games widely available again is a must. Rebalancing PS1 would also be good, if they're up to it.

I would be ALL OVER a rebalanced first one (or at least, options to make it a bit more accessible). The world map might not look that interesting in 3D but all the conversations and obviously the dungeons would look great in 3D.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Let the above sink in and answer me this question: why would the game not release via Wave 3? What cruel, sadistic set of circumstances prevents the single most logical next step for the series?

Game Freak owns the game so Sega couldn't release it without paying them a royalty, so it loses precedence over the dozens of games that they own and are more in-demand.

The problem with Phantasy Star and other classic games that use a top-down perspective is that there's no way to get them to display in stereoscopic 3D that doesn't look terrible or unnatural, save for remaking some or all of the assets.

You wouldn't even have to rebalance the game in order to make it easier: add an option for manual targeting, put a dungeon map on the touch screen, maybe redo the translation, voila! the game's already way friendlier.

Top Bottom