• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA AM2 Collection Vol. 1 |OT| Now you can Model 2

Tain

Just tried VF2 on the 360, and the game doesn't seem to be using the stutter method. Whew!

Very strange, given the RGG5 demo.

Update: Same with FV. These look really gorgeous, and I'm pretty sure they're 1080p native. So pretty.

Trojan X

Banned
This is so true. Sega Worldwide Soccer 97' and 98' on the Saturn was absolutely incredible, I loved the gameplay. When Sega Worldwide Soccer 2000 came out with the Dreamcast, imagine my annoyance to see it was developed by Silicon Dreams and was simply a higher res update of their inferior World League Soccer games from the 32bit consoles. Not that I'm still bitter or anything......

Great memory. I gave SEGA Europe a bollocking for that. Unfortunately, the old SEGA would have listened to me, but the time when that game came out was the time when SEGA Europe started to change.

I said it before and I say it again. SEGA is the best games company in the industry and yet the worse games company in the industry. What a shame.

Tain

lol, I knew about the Pepsiman thing, but I never knew Picky's skateboard said "PEPSI" on it. Does that show up for people on a US 360?

Tain

Huh! VF2's attract mode intro actually stutters, but the matches don't. So the conversion team used their best judgment during different sections of each game (since the attract mode intro has to line up with the audio and all). Very cool.

just won like 6 games in a row on VF2 XBLA even though I'm ass at this game hahaha.

any tutorials for using Jeffry? I main him in VF5 but he's missing all of his tools in this

Huh! VF2's attract mode intro actually stutters, but the matches don't. So the conversion team used their best judgment during different sections of each game (since the attract mode intro has to line up with the audio and all). Very cool.
Very cool indeed. This gives me one more reason to trust the AM2 Port Team on any future projects. They're just too damn good for SEGA, I'd say.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Went ahead and bought all 3 games. $5 apiece is hard to argue with.

lol I got all but 1 achievement for StF in my first playthrough, and that's only because Honey can't mirror match herself.

Got all the StF achievements in less than twenty minutes. That's a record for me.

Too bad you can only play as Metal and Eggman in unranked versus.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
So many people dun know the Fighting Vipers?? So sad! One of its selling points I don't think I've seen mentioned yet is its awesomely energetic catchy music! Not a bad tune to be found! StF also has really fun music. VF2's soundtrack is the only kinda lacklustre one imo.

HyperHip

Whelp I'm done with Sonic for now,I must admit i'm kinda sad that Honey is a Knuckles clone. Think I'm gonna stick with Bark for the time being and try to reach rank 3 hopefully tomorrow. With that said, time to play Fighting Vipers!

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
I don't really care for the fighting in Sonic the Fighters, but I really love the stages, especially Amy's flying carpet stage!

Sonic the Sphinx

Lindsay said:
So many people dun know the Fighting Vipers?? So sad! One of its selling points I don't think I've seen mentioned yet is its awesomely energetic catchy music! Not a bad tune to be found! StF also has really fun music. VF2's soundtrack is the only kinda lacklustre one imo.

Wow... I grew up with those VF tunes. Sarah, Lau, Shun, and Lion's themes are engrained in my Virtua Fightin' soul.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Wow... I grew up with those VF tunes. Sarah, Lau, Shun, and Lion's themes are engrained in my Virtua Fightin' soul.
Awww I grew up with 'em to but a bunch of 'em just don't really get me pumped up for fighting or to just sit back an listen to in general. An when compared to these other two games soundtracks its the clear third placer.

flattie

just sent a ticket to Sega about adding 16:9 widescreen support. everyone should do the same so that they know it is demand! =D

Hmmm. Spend resources converting arcade perfect ports of games designed to run in 4:3 into 16:9, or enjoy what the port team have achieved while letting them move on to the next project?

Galdelico

Just tried VF2 on the 360, and the game doesn't seem to be using the stutter method. Whew!

Very strange, given the RGG5 demo.

Update: Same with FV. These look really gorgeous, and I'm pretty sure they're 1080p native. So pretty.
Yeah, feeling the same here.
It's kind of brutal to come back to this gameplay nowadays, but these two gems are truly classics and they still look so beautiful to me.

They are definitely native 1080p.

Vercimber

My God, the colors. The Sega arcade colors, everyone. The crisp, 60fps, Sega arcade "design language." It's a truly beautiful thing, even if these are obsolete in terms of mechanics. FINALLY a TRULY arcade perfect (and beyond) FV and VF2 port. I've been waiting for Sega 3D arcade games to show up. I've put over 90 hours into Gunblade & L.A. Machineguns on Wii.

I truly miss these sorts of games.

So is there any word of any differences between PS3 and 360 releases? I went to compare myself, but the PS3 release doesn't have a demo. I'm also curious on which platform more people are buying it.

And now I remember what people mean when they say the game is unplayable :|

When I see people play Sonic the Fighters, I don't see them using the Sidestep move a lot. Does that work on Metal Sonic's cheaper attacks, or are you just hosed when he decides to do one?

vazel

Banned
Hmmm. Spend resources converting arcade perfect ports of games designed to run in 4:3 into 16:9, or enjoy what the port team have achieved while letting them move on to the next project?
Because adding 16:9 support would take so long, wouldn't it.

We're going to have to live with these ports for many years. Who knows if we'll ever get another port of some of these games like Sonic the Fighters. We might as well get ports we're completely happy with.

Reiko

Banned
Why are the stages more interesting in VF2 compared to VF5?

I mean what the fuck happened? Only Shun Di's stage is comparable, but it takes too long to get to the bridge.

flattie

Because adding 16:9 support would take so long, wouldn't it.

We're going to have to live with these ports for many years. Who knows if we'll ever get another port of some of these games like Sonic the Fighters. We might as well get ports we're completely happy with.

I'm sure its just as easy as flicking a switch and it's just that the AM team thought, 'nah, can't be bothered'. Yeah, that definitely must be it.

Sixfortyfive

I'm sure its just as easy as flicking a switch and it's just that the AM team thought, 'nah, can't be bothered'. Yeah, that definitely must be it.
They did it for VOOT.

It honestly isn't as much of a hurdle for 3D games as it is for 2D.

vazel

Banned
A previous Model 2 port from Sega has been in widescreen(Daytona). I've seen the Model 2 emulator on PC run games in widescreen; if that emulator can run games in widescreen I'm sure the Sega porting people can do it too(they've proven they can).

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Adding widescreen support was probably the difference between $5 and $10 ports. It's not like these have as much recognition as something like Daytona. $5 for some dumb fun is about right and impulse purchase price for a lot of people. I think they made the right decision because I wouldn't have bought any for $10 a pop.

Tizoc

Adding widescreen support was probably the difference between $5 and $10 ports. It's not like these have as much recognition as something like Daytona. $5 for some dumb fun is about right and impulse purchase price for a lot of people. I think they made the right decision because I wouldn't have bought any for $10 a pop.

I would've gotten VF2 and FV at least for $10 each, but that's just me.
Funny how these games are priced LOWER than a Neo Geo game on PSN.

louie

VF2 was a game I grew up with, but I'm having some real trouble readjusting to it after years of modern 3d fighters. I don't think I'm enjoying it as much I had hoped :(

Sixfortyfive

VF2 was a game I grew up with, but I'm having some real trouble readjusting to it after years of modern 3d fighters. I don't think I'm enjoying it as much I had hoped :(
This is why I've been looking forward to Fighting Vipers more. FV is still enough of an anomaly to not feel like it's been made obsolete.

Vercimber

What the hell, man.

Yep. I'm in the top 10 in the US on leaderboards. Of course there are only a few thousand players. I became addicted to LAMG. It is a fantastic game with a simple, yet addictive scoring system. And the Wii doesn't lie: Just at 90hrs. I'm not ashamed.

This is why I've been looking forward to Fighting Vipers more. FV is still enough of an anomaly to not feel like it's been made obsolete.
Same could be said for Last Bronx, though FV's armor system is still rather unique (unlike LB's non-essential weapons). I hope we get a port of that classic one day.

drizzle

Axel Hertz

You literally just have to make the "vieweing window" into that 3d world wider, and tell the engine "instead of stop rendering things past this point, stop rendering things past this point instead". You bind the 2D overlays to the same 4:3 aspect ratio, keep the gameplay area the same (like in marvel vs capcom 2) and you're set. The only risk you'll run into is making the game ugly, like Sonic Adventure 2 is on the Dreamcast emulator in widescreen: All screen fades are 2D sprite based, so at the end of the level, only the centerp art of the screen fades white and the borders are still 3D geometry.

The only thing is that the emulator would use more processing power (because it would be rendering more pixels). I'm no gaming programmer, but the way I see it, If the emulator is not that taxing and your code is clean enough, it wouldn't be much of a hassle.

I'm liking it but it's hard as balls, and I'm playing on EASY. I couldn't get past Kage. Cheapass MF'er! I wish they would've added a Very Easy mode. Saturn version was never this hard.

Birbo

I'm liking it but it's hard as balls, and I'm playing on EASY. I couldn't get past Kage. Cheapass MF'er! I wish they would've added a Very Easy mode. Saturn version was never this hard.

Glad it isn't just me. Playing on Normal and took me forever to get past Lion. Beat Jeffery pretty quickly but now Kage is fucking me up.

Have a pretty bad case of Sega Thumb this morning. Haven't had that in years. :)

Top Bottom