• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

televator

I think the free games give away was exactly it. He wants that person to post pictures of the (cheap) goods on Thursday, while pressuring people to get their orders in by Friday. Not sure why there'd be this cut off date if he owns a store where sells this stuff, but whatever.

Good news on Thursday, all orders placed by Friday, disappear into the wind on Saturday.

This turned out to be a more appropriate statement than I could have ever imagined.

I made squinty eyes when I posted that. I shit you not. Rofl!

...YOU PEOPLE

i was gonna get Last Blade 2, Skies, Giga Wang 2, Garou & others (i just asked about Illbleed!) and YOU RUINED EVERYTHING

DAMN YOU, YOU NOSY BAG OF USED PIZZA, NOW ILL NEVER GET MY CHEAP GAMESSSSSSSS

...for real, i was holding out for pics but if nothing else, i'm pretty comfortable sending $ via paypal these days. ive had a few people (out of state craigslist) try to scam me but charges are so easily reversed i don't worry much, any dude demanding gift gets 4% on top or they can go fly a kite.

even on the PS end i was golden! Legend of Mana, Way of the Samurai 2, Haunting Ground, Gunner's Heaven...all gone.

now i'm just gonna go play Tenchu again cause some of you were too good for potential pictures of games. you ever think about how sharp the pics could be? I'll tell you right now, i wish id've just invested in a pic of MGS4, i'dve liked it better. Illbleed could've been in that category too.

Yeah overall, I wasn't sweating the immediate details either. I let myself get excited. In retrospect I should have kept it to myself though as it probably drew more people to him. But eventually our convo would have come around to "Okay, you say you have them, but you're a noob with no formal GAF feedback... how about some pics?"

Better sooner than too late for others though. So thanks again to detective GAF for another job well done. The heroes GAF needs.

Toxa

A classic

1959561_10203880164951560_2336567551354521209_n.jpg

One last word of warning - the guy probably wasn't kidding about having multiple eBay accounts. I think he probably has multiple NeoGAF accounts. I mean, these are just some of his alts on the Gamespot forums:

TigerSuperman
JakandSigz
NationProtector
CheetahAquaman
YO-SUP

What does this mean? Well, it means be careful. Always demand pics. Never PayPal Gift. If something's too good to be true, it probably is. And if it's not this guy, there's thousands of other jerks just like him.

Oh, and I want a detective badge.

/PSA

Seik

Banned
One last word of warning - the guy probably wasn't kidding about having multiple eBay accounts. I think he probably has multiple NeoGAF accounts. I mean, these are just some of his alts on the Gamespot forums:

TigerSuperman
JakandSigz
NationProtector
CheetahAquaman
YO-SUP

What does this mean? Well, it means be careful. Always demand pics. Never PayPal Gift. If something's too good to be true, it probably is. And if it's not this guy, there's thousands of other jerks just like him.

Oh, and I want a detective badge.

/PSA

I don't know if that's a good idea, but if someone have something to sell, he/she should go straight to the buy/sell community thread. Want to make people around this thread know? Just share the link to his/her listing here.

He came here and said he had tons of stuff and people here went ape shit. Not surprising since it's a Dreamcast enthusiasts thread so, yeah, he went where he was sure to have his couple of hours of glory. Gotta be careful with people without pics as well, totally agree with you there.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I'm not even sure why people try those scams. They're always found out and eBay, PayPal, and Credit Card companies have protections to get your money back.

The Hanzo is a high quality one that features scanlines, too.
Do you need it use the audio jacks for sound or does the HDMI output it too?
On topic - does the Hanzo output audio via HDMI?

The Hanzo doesn't output to HDMI directly; rather, it's "just" an aftermarket DC VGA adapter (albeit a high quality one that also has the ability to do scanlines). It plugs into the AV port on the console and then the adapter itself has a female VGA connector and a set of female RCA audio connectors. So from the Hanzo you could either run a VGA cable and a stereo RCA audio cable directly to your TV (if your TV has VGA inputs), or you could run them through a VGA-to-HDMI adapter and then plug the HDMI cable into your TV.

The latter setup is what I've done. As mentioned in an earlier post, I eventually had luck with this one from Monoprice, though make sure you use high quality cables to avoid signal degradation.

[TL/DR:] The Hanzo VGA adapter doesn't do HDMI by itself, but when you use an HDMI adapter along with the Hanzo, the HDMI will carry both video and audio.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
All I've ever played of Virtua Tennis was the demo that came with Official Dreamcast Magazine once. But I really liked it. I might've asked this earlier in the thread, but is it worth buying both of the Dreamcast games?

Matesamo

How is Evolution or 2 for that matter? I snagged 2 for cheap, and vaguely remember the first game when itching for an RPG back in the day. Rented it, but dont remember much except everyone being named after weapons.

I really, really enjoyed the first Evolution game back in the day, so much that I bought a Neo Geo Pocket to play the portable game. As much as I enjoyed the first game the second one did not really do it for me, I seem to recall it seeming to be rushed and missing a lot of the charm that the first game brought to the table.

IrishNinja

if you've got a wii and a 360 better versions of LB2 and Garou await you... for much less $$!

physical versions or bust!

go play mars matrix

I very nearly sent him money for a few Dreamcast games. After we agreed upon a deal, I sent him the following two lists of games that I wanted. He then replied, saying that he had ALL of these except for a few. Definitely a little suspicious.

those lists...you were shootin' for the stars!
im prolly the only shlub on the PS2 end asking if he has Marc Ecko's Getting Up and cheap shit

Hindsight is 20/20 and I'm sure I'm just preaching to the choir here, but God damn. It just figures. Sega finally releases what is arguably their best game system ever after faltering for years with the Gamegear, Nomad, 32X, and Saturn but it's all for naught because the money runs out.

File that under N for "No Shit Sherlock," but every time I see this thread lately I start waxing nostalgic for the DC era; which for me marked a real spike in quality from Sega. I mean think of all the games we never got to see, the games we don't even know about. sigh...

Went out hunting today. Only got Sonic Adventure for $6 (well, and a bunch of PSX and NES stuff). They had a copy of Evolution for $6, but it didn't have instructions. Sucks. They don't change their prices based on condition, so just need to wait for a complete one to come in so I can grab it for $6.

Danny Dudekisser

Hey, Irishninja -- Illbleed is NOT sold yet. I'm just following orders.

Anyway, it's interesting that Virtua Tennis 2 made some substantial changes to the gameplay. I actually prefer it when games do that, because it basically gives you a reason to play both games, rather than just rendering one completely pointless. I'm also relieved to see that the first game, at least, is dirt cheap.

Just got my euro copy of Shenmue 2 in the mail today. What are people's favorite ways to play imports on the dreamcast system.

A method that works well with vga box would be a huge plus as well.

Danny Dudekisser

Just got my euro copy of Shenmue 2 in the mail today. What are people's favorite ways to play imports on the dreamcast system.

A method that works well with vga box would be a huge plus as well.

I used the Action Replay CDX demo, but a mod chip is obviously the ideal. After all these years, I never want to see a swap disc again.

IrishNinja

yeah, i loves my modchip - but i swear, i think i just used the standard reindeer/utopia boot disc (if that) and 2 gave me no issues at all. congrats on playing the definitive version!

yeah, i loves my modchip - but i swear, i think i just used the standard reindeer/utopia boot disc (if that) and 2 gave me no issues at all. congrats on playing the definitive version!

Thanks! Got a great price on it. It is really hard to track down a mod chip for the dreamcast anymore. Utopia v2 seems to work the best then?

Side note: I was unaware it was the definitive version. Why so?

IrishNinja

Side note: I was unaware it was the definitive version. Why so?

you might get trouble with Utopia over VGA (many version dont support it) but you can just press start & use it like normal as i recall, its just the loading image that doesnt display

xbox version had some issues, largest for me being the dub - i think the sub version is way better! you're in for a headache if you wanna transfer your part 1 save over though, i usually just take whatever gashapon they give you as standard.

I actually just got one of these today. Mine was defective and made everything look yellow. When I would boot up a game, the Sega logo was green instead of blue. You can see that one of the questions on the item is me (same username). I ordered a replacement, so hopefully it works. I got the same result on a computer monitor that I had sitting around. I did play Cannon Spike on the "yellow" screen for a while and the resolution/sharpness was awesome!

Additionally, my TV's VGA input only has a single audio input, so I also have to order a splitter/adaptor as I don't have any external speakers or receivers to hook it up to, so keep that in mind if you are in the same boat. This is what I'll need, I think. My replacement should be here on Friday evening, so will post impressions if no one else has by then.

Top Bottom