• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

I remember reading that it was feature complete, but not optimized. As a result the load times were abysmal.
That's correct. DC Half-Life includes both Half-Life and Blue Shift, actually. It's feature-complete and is pretty great, but has long load times and does crash sometimes, because testing wasn't quite done.

petran79

Banned
With regards to Guilty Gear X, there's not much of a reason to get it with GGXX readily available most other places, though the Dreamcast version does have the novelty of using the MIDI based arcade soundtrack instead of the live instrument soundtrack that the PS2 port and every other subsequent update of the game use.

If you can get it cheap, go for it. The game looks and plays great to this day anyway.

Edit: I believe the DC version came with a mini soundtrack CD, too.

I like that version too. Only annoyance is the announcer that has a distorted voice.
Is this specific to all versions or just the DC?

WorldStar

Banned
gonna start re-playing Grandia 2 tonight

i never finished it bc someone stole my copy but i got really far

i fukin LOVED this game, hoping it aged well

Teknoman

I need to get some Dreamcast action going...but I dunno if I want to start up Berserk or Shenmue. Maybe Berserk since technically Shenmue is an RPG and i'm already playing Breath of Fire.

Valkyria

Banned
My wife got me a Dreamcast for Christmas. It's a system I owned for a short period of time more than 10 years ago, but for one reason or another I never bought back.

The thing is that I'm starting to buy a collection of games for the system. I live in Europe, but I don't like the pal version of the cases and, in DC is a minor issue, the 50Hz gameplay. The games that require very little knowledge of japanese or that are almost a 100% in english I can buy them really cheap in NTSC-J format, but for other games NTSC-U is the way to go. I bought D2 the other day on ebay and I paid more in shipping and custom that for the game.
Maybe you fellow gaffers can give a hand by pointing some american based retro stores that have more sensible shipping prices (videogameplus.ca is quite reasonable). Actually I'm not looking for really occult games, just normal games, the most expensive would be Skies of Arcadia.

IrishNinja

congrats! D2's been going up a bit too, took a bit finding that one for a fair price...i really gotta start my Kenji Eno run one day

Valkyria

Banned
congrats! D2's been going up a bit too, took a bit finding that one for a fair price...i really gotta start my Kenji Eno run one day

Actually I got one for like 33$ but I paid almost another 30 for shipping and customs that from USA now you always pay from ebay. I love the EU getting VAT out of a second hand game sold 15 years ago in another continent.

Since I moved out from my previous location, I didn't get a chance to finish Shenmue 2. Now, with reicast being available for Android, I plan to use my brand-spanking-new Xperia Z3 to play through it again later this year, or at least when Shenmue 2 and a few other games are fully playable. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.reicast.emulator (free)

For those of you unaware, reicast for Android is basically the same Dreamcast emu many of us use and it actually runs a few titles really well. You need Open ESL I believe, among other specification requirements. Been testing it out with a Dualshock 4 (and the clip on thing from Nyko).

Will take photos once I get my new microSD card delivered so I can bring over some of my GD-rom dumps and try out a few games.

IrishNinja

Actually I got one for like 33$ but I paid almost another 30 for shipping and customs that from USA now you always pay from ebay. I love the EU getting VAT out of a second hand game sold 15 years ago in another continent.

..jesus, ya'll get a raw deal to this day, damn.

Woo just got confirmation my Hanzo has been posted. Wonder how much of a difference it'll really be to the RF adapter I'be currently got hooked up.

BTails

Woo just got confirmation my Hanzo has been posted. Wonder how much of a difference it'll really be to the RF adapter I'be currently got hooked up.

How long ago did you order it? I ordered a Toro last weekend and received a confirmation email, but it hasn't shipped yet.

Well I'll tell you, the pecking order for fidelity for Sega Dreamcast is as follows:

Knives in eyes-->RF-->Composite-->S-Video-->VGA

so you're definitely in for a treat

BTails

Paid on 15/01/2015 but the page said they were being made for early Feb so I knew there'd be some wait.

Nice. I emailed them before ordering, and they said that the Toro was in stock, so it should be any day now.

I can't wait, because the Dreamcast looks pretty ugly through composite, even piped through my XRGB. I honestly think the Saturn has better composite video (though thankfully I don't have to worry about that). The composite cable the came with my system is broken too, the left channel cuts in and out (and responds to cable jiggling, so I know it's the cable, not the console).

Def Jukie

I ordered a Toro a week or two ago and just got a shipping notification today. Super excited, I had a cheap VGA box for a while that was giving me some weird banding issues. It was time for an upgrade.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Got my shipping notification for the new Hanzo a couple days ago. Not sure when it'll show up, but it'll probably show up.

BTails

All this VGA talk is getting me hyped for my Toro! I ended up finally opening and cleaning/dusting my Dreamcast yesterday (I've had it for about 2 weeks), and was able to confirm that I have the good GD-ROM drive, metal fan, and extra heat sinks. Here's hoping it lives a long, healthy life!

I asked this in the CRT/PVM thread but I guess I'd try here as well.

Can anyone recommend an S-Video cable for the Dreamcast? I saw some on Amazon with shaky reviews, and I don't want to spend on a VGA box just to get S-Video. I don't have a VGA monitor, also.

Currently running through composite on a 20-inch Sony Trinitron (images here).

Peltz

I asked this in the CRT/PVM thread but I guess I'd try here as well.

Can anyone recommend an S-Video cable for the Dreamcast? I saw some on Amazon with shaky reviews, and I don't want to spend on a VGA box just to get S-Video. I don't have a VGA monitor, also.

Currently running through composite on a 20-inch Sony Trinitron (images here).

These did do the trick for me. I'm surprised at all of the poor reviews.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QVDSRO/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Good luck.

BTails

My Toro shipped today! Now comes the excruciatingly long wait for it to arrive in my mailbox, haha.

In the meantime, I bought Carrier, so I'll have a new game to play when it arrives (Carrier is shipping within Canada, so it'll be here next week). I've been in a Survival Horror mood, and for $15 I figured it's not an expensive gamble. Any play it?

So I took a chance on this S-Video cable (because it offered prime) even though the reviewrs were super mixed. I booted up Street Fighter III and I honestly can't see any improvement over the composite. Is there any way to tell if a cable is putting out pure S-Video signals? Some reviews complained that the S-video is connected to the same pin as the yellow composite plug.

Are there any specific games I can sample to test the S-video capabilities? I'm about done spending money on bunk cables. Thanks.

So I took a chance on this S-Video cable (because it offered prime) even though the reviewrs were super mixed. I booted up Street Fighter III and I honestly can't see any improvement over the composite. Is there any way to tell if a cable is putting out pure S-Video signals? Some reviews complained that the S-video is connected to the same pin as the yellow composite plug.

Are there any specific games I can sample to test the S-video capabilities? I'm about done spending money on bunk cables. Thanks.

Which SFIII game? If it's Third Strike, you might want to enable 240p mode (Hold Start + L upon turning on the DC and hold 'em until the Capcom logo shows up). I use S-Video on my Dreamcast as well, and the difference between it and composite (At least for Third Strike) was definitely more noticeable in that viewing mode rather than the 480i default.

Which SFIII game? If it's Third Strike, you might want to enable 240p mode (Hold Start + L upon turning on the DC and hold 'em until the Capcom logo shows up). I use S-Video on my Dreamcast as well, and the difference between it and composite (At least for Third Strike) was definitely more noticeable in that viewing mode rather than the 480i default.

Yeah I tried it in that mode and I really can't tell.

Yes, usually by having no composite anywhere on the cable along with having no dot crawl and no horrible rainbow banding.

I don't notice any specific instances of those. Some of the display issues can be coming from the Dreamcast itself. It puts out an image that is always a bit far to the right, and I have to adjust it in every game. Plus, there are some geometry issues on my CRT, as the image bends towards the edges of the screen.

So from what I understand, there are no s-video cables for the Dreamcast made without the AV composite attached, and the only way I can be sure I'm getting S-video is to buy a legit VGA box and connect a S-video cable through that. I guess I'll eventually get around to doing that. Thanks for the help, guys.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
So from what I understand, there are no s-video cables for the Dreamcast made without the AV composite attached, and the only way I can be sure I'm getting S-video is to buy a legit VGA box and connect a S-video cable through that. I guess I'll eventually get around to doing that. Thanks for the help, guys.
First-party S-video cables exist, and they don't have composite video attached.

Burn a copy of the 240p test suite and see how it compares to the bottom image:

test.png

Laws00

After "backing up" my games today I try out one game and it doesnt read ok fair enough.

Try putting other games and it will not work. I think my laser is dead.
Nice nice

ive read about the tweaking it method. Not worth it right now

Funny this is my old dreamcast which i got off buyrite didnt know it was modded and japanese console started to have problems for some reason.

I bought a used American console and it ran GREAT not the american one is running badly.

I wonder if I can just swap lasers from borth consoles ;(

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
After "backing up" my games today I try out one game and it doesnt read ok fair enough.

Try putting other games and it will not work. I think my laser is dead.
Nice nice

ive read about the tweaking it method. Not worth it right now

Funny this is my old dreamcast which i got off buyrite didnt know it was modded and japanese console started to have problems for some reason.

I bought a used American console and it ran GREAT not the american one is running badly.

I wonder if I can just swap lasers from borth consoles ;(

I'm amazed that my original 9-9-99 Dreamcast still works to this day, never had laser problems yet. I know it will die someday, that's why I've been dumping the discs to my PC for NullDC, both as a "just in case" and also for the convenience of it. I figure the more Dreamcast games I play on the PC the longer my DC will last.

I have no idea if you can swap lasers, I don't even know how easy that would be to do.

Any one here play PSO online(private servers)? I 've managed to connect mine(through dial LOL) Would like to play some time. The DC community is pretty much dead on there.

alf717

Any one here play PSO online(private servers)? I 've managed to connect mine(through dial LOL) Would like to play some time. The DC community is pretty much dead on there.

I played on those servers once but everyone was playing the PC version. By the time my DC was done loading the boss was already dead.

Bought on a whim having played crazy taxi at a mate's. Best console ever, connected to t'internet for F355 (time delayed replays ) and Quake 3!
Shame they canned Half Life and Propeller Arena as they were good and ran well. As said before HL crashed occasionally but aced PS2 version IMO.

Plugged in the hanzo and the TV has a blue tint. I don't think it's the box but the cheap vga cable I bought. But disappointed but hopefully its a simple fix.

Edit: might try my computer monitor next.

Got some extended play-time with remote play, finally.

10968473_10153049518489166_6294268440853308809_n.jpg

Now why am I posting this? If you recall, my previous post was about playing Shenmue 1/2 on reicast for Android. I'm happy to report that Shenmue 1 has been going smoothly, though I have been having some issues with Shenmue 2. Apparently I need to play through the game beyond the intro portion on PC emulator, then use that save file to load in on reicast after the place that it hangs.

Will report back shortly with images / video when I have time. Also planning to do my best to remove my buddy Dustin from his Dreamcast (and Crazy Taxi) long enough to rip some more GD-Roms as my Dreamcast unit is no longer powering on and I don't currently have time to open it up and figure out the issue(s).

Top Bottom