• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Plugged in the hanzo and the TV has a blue tint. I don't think it's the box but the cheap vga cable I bought. But disappointed but hopefully its a simple fix.

Edit: might try my computer monitor next.
It's not the TV or the cable so now I need to figure out if it's the Hanzo or my Dreamcast :/

Reading about similar issues it sounds like it could be my Dreamcast so I'll try cleaning the contacts with some isopropyl alcohol next.

BTails

My Toro came in today! Shipping was actually extremely quick.

upTsgCf.jpg

Took me a little while to get it working: I was panicking that it had broke during transit, but it turns out that I just hadn't pushed it all the way into the back on the Dreamcast. Then I was having issues with colour (it was tinted extremely yellow), but after some more troubleshooting it turns out that was caused by the SCART cable that came with the Toro. I'll have to replace that, but some jiggling fixes the issue.

And it looks AWESOME. Time to start buying/playing some games.

My Toro came in today! Shipping was actually extremely quick.

Took me a little while to get it working: I was panicking that it had broke during transit, but it turns out that I just hadn't pushed it all the way into the back on the Dreamcast. Then I was having issues with colour (it was tinted extremely yellow), but after some more troubleshooting it turns out that was caused by the SCART cable that came with the Toro. I'll have to replace that, but some jiggling fixes the issue.

And it looks AWESOME. Time to start buying/playing some games.

Interesting you had that issue since I'm having an issue with a blue tint. The cable that plugs into the Dreamcast is a bit mushy and I didn't try "jiggling" it but bumping it did make the picture cut out completely.

BTails

Interesting you had that issue since I'm having an issue with a blue tint. The cable that plugs into the Dreamcast is a bit mushy and I didn't try "jiggling" it but bumping it did make the picture cut out completely.

Sorry, I should rephrase that: I was jiggling the end of the cable plugged into my Framemeister (technically into the "Euro SCART to Mini RGB" cable that's plugged into my Framemeister).

Once I got the Toro plugged into the back of my Dreamcast, it was snug as a bug.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The blue pin on my Kuro doesn't make contact with my DC unless I apply pressure on the connecting cable, either. I need to open it up and see if I can fix that. It's pretty irritating.

The blue pin on my Kuro doesn't make contact with my DC unless I apply pressure on the connecting cable, either. I need to open it up and see if I can fix that. It's pretty irritating.
Found a picture online that labels the pins on the DC video out and I can see that the red pin is much shorter than the others. Looks like I need to find a way to repair that or buy another DC :(

BTails

So I got Carrier in the mail today, and it's pretty great (In a campy sort of way) so far, but I'm having issues with it... Every 15 minutes or so, the game decides that it doesn't want to load the next room fully, and will glitch out. I end up in a wireframe version of the room, where mostly everything is invisible. This will go on for a while (Next room wireframe again, next room fine, then back to wireframe, etc...), before eventually hanging in between room changes.

The disc is pretty clean, with very few scratches, and the scratches present are the kind that should have no effect on gameplay. What's puzzling is the game seems to glitch randomly: it'll load one room fine one time, then the same room will freak out next time I pass through.

Very strange...

EDIT: searching about online, I was able to find two references to this glitch: one on the Wikipedia page for the game, and the second on a forum where the problem was solved by simply restarting the game.

Alright, so i am a complete Dreamcast Noob, have never owned one etc. but i am somewhat of a retro consoles enthusiast!

Question is this: I can get a Dreamcast with cables + 2 controllers and a couple games (nothing fancy, i think ChuChu Rocket and Shadowman) for 65 euro.

Should i go for that? I don't really want one unless there are at LEAST a few games worth getting that cannot be had any other way. Are there hidden gems that are really worth it at this point besides Shenmue 1? (also: i'm not huge on fighters since i know there are quite a few good ones on there)

Theonik

Alright, so i am a complete Dreamcast Noob, have never owned one etc. but i am somewhat of a retro consoles enthusiast!

Question is this: I can get a Dreamcast with cables + 2 controllers and a couple games (nothing fancy, i think ChuChu Rocket and Shadowman) for 65 euro.

Should i go for that? I don't really want one unless there are at LEAST a few games worth getting that cannot be had any other way. Are there hidden gems that are really worth it at this point besides Shenmue 1? (also: i'm not huge on fighters since i know there are quite a few good ones on there)
There is a bunch and honestly the DC collection scene is still fairly cheap that you can grab them cheaper than their ports in other cases.
Also ChuChuRocket owns.

BTails

So I think I fixed my Dreamcast/Carrier issues... I was thinking about the glitches at work, and how they only happen when the game is loading another section, so I guessed that maybe the lens was having issues (Despite reading my other discs fine). So when I got home, I cleaned the lens with some Isopropyl Alcohol, and reset the laser sled by pushing it all the way to the centre.

Lo and behold, the game worked fine! I only played it for a half an hour, but besides not crashing, the loading times were exceptionally better! I was able to get a feel for the game, and while it's a bit janky at times (Invisible zombies are frustrating, not scary), it's pretty great so far. The uncapped frame rate would drive some members of "modern console GAF" up the wall: the game seems to swing wildly from 25ish to 60 fps, sometimes within the same room!

Despite the less than stellar presentation, the game's core mystery is engrossing, I'm legitimately curious to see what happens next. And I've already accumulated about 120 pistol bullets, so I'm ready to start blowing through zombies instead of running past them (RE skills for the win!).

Some pictures to share:
The new game hanging out on my "Sega Shelf"

As someone new to the Dreamcast, I totally love the VMU.

I totally love how the main character is about twice as detailed as the others, haha.

Mercutio

PSA if you need an rca->aux adapter for your vga cable (like I did) RadioShack is going out of business

bought this for $0.98

As an audio guy, I'd suggest staying away from that particular type of RCA -> 1/8" connector. It puts a lot of strain on the 1/8" jack because of the heft of both cables. If at all possible, get this type instead:

74a8f716744e7b64cfa4a8935aaa3052-06e44abcbb631b9bc3c324f5d11dd8d5.jpg

I say this because it's generally way more expensive to replace the thing that has that jack, or have the jack replaced than just spending the $3 or whatever these cost on Monoprice.

Peltz

As an audio guy, I'd suggest staying away from that particular type of RCA -> 1/8" connector. It puts a lot of strain on the 1/8" jack because of the heft of both cables. If at all possible, get this type instead:

74a8f716744e7b64cfa4a8935aaa3052-06e44abcbb631b9bc3c324f5d11dd8d5.jpg

I say this because it's generally way more expensive to replace the thing that has that jack, or have the jack replaced than just spending the $3 or whatever these cost on Monoprice.

I agree with this. I own both. Listen to Mercutio. The RadioShack product causes popping and other sound issues on my Genesis and handheld systems when hooking up to my speakers.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
is there any way to set up nulldc so i can play outtrigger with a keyboard and mouse - or anything besides a single controller? it doesn't seem to pick anything up when I select "Attach nullDC Mouse [WinHook]" or any of the other options for the other ports.

parrying in Fighting Vipers 2 feels good man

i'd love to play FV2 again, but i heard that port has pretty awful texture quality and a lot of bugs (moves gaining unblockable properties, etc)..

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
i'd love to play FV2 again, but i heard that port has pretty awful texture quality and a lot of bugs (moves gaining unblockable properties, etc)..

Good luck finding a FV2 model 3 board man! DC version plays fine.

Laws00

I fixed my Dreamcast GD-ROM drive

Wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I just messed with it a bit. I didn't even mess with the voltage thing I think. I tried turning it. I touched it tried moving it. Didn't think I did anything and boom it worked.

televator

I fixed my Dreamcast GD-ROM drive

Wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I just messed with it a bit. I didn't even mess with the voltage thing I think. I tried turning it. I touched it tried moving it. Didn't think I did anything and boom it worked.

It probably just had some lint or dirt stuck somewhere that you knocked loose. It's one thing I always do with old disk based consoles, is to brush the rails and lube them up. It's like cleaning the cart slot on cartridge consoles.

Shaneus

What's the latest on DC drive mods to avoid using discs? I'm worried mine's on it's way out and if I can make the thing any quieter/more reliable, I'm all for it.

Really only want it for superior THPS2, and DoA2 whereby my disc got inexplicably screwed somehow.

KC-Slater

What's the latest on DC drive mods to avoid using discs? I'm worried mine's on it's way out and if I can make the thing any quieter/more reliable, I'm all for it.

Really only want it for superior THPS2, and DoA2 whereby my disc got inexplicably screwed somehow.

The GDEMU is a solid option. I think there are other SD Card solutions, but I can personally vouch for this one being easy to install and reliable. (It also doesn't require you permanently mangle your DC, if that's something you care about.) It's compatibility is top-notch, and also allows for playing imports without further modifying your console.

pmj

Man. My VGA box gives me good quality VGA, but s-video is horrid. I'm not sure if it's the box, or the cable, or maybe my TV, but it's somehow far, far worse than even composite. It's like the whole image is dithered and crawling, with everything bleeding streaks of color.

And since I don't have any spare VGA-cable monitors, it's back to composite for me.

Phantasy Star Online is pretty cool, and I had no idea. Is the sequel (PAL version) worth tracking down? It seems to be available in much lower quantities, and at higher prices.

The GDEMU is a solid option. I think there are other SD Card solutions, but I can personally vouch for this one being easy to install and reliable. (It also doesn't require you permanently mangle your DC, if that's something you care about.) It's compatibility is top-notch, and also allows for playing imports without further modifying your console.

how about one you can actually order :[

Valkyria

Banned
Has anyone played the Japanese version of Dino Crisis? I know the voices are in english, but what about menus and the items for clues (documents alike as the ones on Resident Evil to helpp you solve puzzle). The Japanese version is way cheaper.

Speaking of GDEMU I was wondering if folk knew anything here about how interchangeable the power supplies for different Dreamcast versions are? I have two Dreamcasts, versions 0 and 1, but the one compatible with the GDEMU will only turn on for half a second if at all. I was thinking about swapping the working power supply into the broken Dreamcast, see if that could get it working.

The Google results I've found are pretty much exclusively talking about swapping power supplies between regions, nothing concrete on what I was looking for.

EDIT

Actually just saw that post about using a PICO power supply, may look into that instead.

KC-Slater

¡HarlequinPanic!;154989343 said:
how about one you can actually order :[

From what I understand there has been a huge backlog of people interested, but if you're patient, you'll get one eventually! I know I have posted a few times about them, but I have just been very happy with the product. It's a very elegant solution. I have a Rhea for my Saturn as well, and it does the trick, but the GDEMU is a lot more polished, IMO.

Son of a bitch...

I told a good friend to email me a bunch of his tracks and I was going to try and pick out something original to use as an intro in my other videos. I honestly had no idea it was from rockman and forte. I just thought it was something cool he had come up with. I guess that explains the odd name of the track "rmfmuseum".

Well shit. Suppose I get to keep looking -_-

This earworm hit me again today. Did your friend post that Rockman & Forte theme remix online anywhere?

frontovik

Banned
So I think I fixed my Dreamcast/Carrier issues...

Despite the less than stellar presentation, the game's core mystery is engrossing, I'm legitimately curious to see what happens next. And I've already accumulated about 120 pistol bullets, so I'm ready to start blowing through zombies instead of running past them (RE skills for the win!).

It's definitely a fun and quirky survival horror game.

However, I had to rely on a walkthrough halfway through the game as you have to frequently backtrack on the ship and it isn't clear where you have to go.

Once you finish the game, don't forget to save so that you can access Jessifer's story.

Just won an auction for a replacement Dreamcast on ebay.

Got the

DC
1 x VMU
First party controller
Resident Evil Code Veronica
Aerowings
Sword of the Berserk: Gut's Rage (pleased with this, it's a rare title that would have been expensive if bought stand alone)
NBA 2K
SEGA Rally 2
Jeremy McGrath Supercross 2000 (maybe I'll use it as a coffee coaster)
UEFA Striker
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Urban Chaos

For £43, I'm pretty chuffed, this was a bargain.

Just won an auction for a replacement Dreamcast on ebay.

Got the

DC
1 x VMU
First party controller
Resident Evil Code Veronica
Aerowings
Sword of the Berserk: Gut's Rage (pleased with this, it's a rare title that would have been expensive if bought stand alone)
NBA 2K
SEGA Rally 2
Jeremy McGrath Supercross 2000 (maybe I'll use it as a coffee coaster)
UEFA Striker
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Urban Chaos

For £43, I'm pretty chuffed, this was a bargain.

Sounds like a good deal, congrats.

Top Bottom