• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

KC-Slater

This may be a little off-topic, but I couldn't find a dedicated thread (and I can't start one yet) so I thought I'd ask around here:

Does anyone have any experience with Naomi hardware? I'm in the midst of putting together a set-up, but I have some n00b hardware-questions. If anyone is willing to humour me, please inbox me.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
This may be a little off-topic, but I couldn't find a dedicated thread (and I can't start one yet) so I thought I'd ask around here:

Does anyone have any experience with Naomi hardware? I'm in the midst of putting together a set-up, but I have some n00b hardware-questions. If anyone is willing to humour me, please inbox me.
VFDC's cruzlink has one he streams once a week.

televator

Gotta spread some of this HDMI lovin to the Dreamcast. Will also have scan line options. This is a mod an not and external conversion box. It is the DC's pure digital picture and audio.

Gotta spread some of this HDMI lovin to the Dreamcast. Will also have scan line options. This is a mod an not and external conversion box. It is the DC's pure digital picture and audio.

No. Fucking. Way.

Epic, I want this!!!

I assume you guys realize this, but just in case it's not clear... This isn't magically making the Dreamcast render higher than 480p. It's still 480p/i, just over HDMI - the same as an external converter box to switch VGA to HDMI, except possibly cleaner because there are fewer "links" in the output chain from Dreamcast to your TV set.

Mercutio

Whoa. That's absolutely great. Really does look like a tricky mod though, lots of tiny wire. Sounds like they're going to simplify it before releasing the board in any quantity?

Peltz

Damn.... That would amazing for 480p games considering most HDTVs don't have VGA ports anymore. I'd do 480p via HDMI to my HDTV and switch it out and do 240p games to my CRT via RGB.

televator

I assume you guys realize this, but just in case it's not clear... This isn't magically making the Dreamcast render higher than 480p. It's still 480p/i, just over HDMI - the same as an external converter box to switch VGA to HDMI, except possibly cleaner because there are fewer "links" in the output chain from Dreamcast to your TV set.

Yes, that's obvious that it won't render the games higher. And yes the picture and audio will be cleaner not just because of the fewer links but because there is no analog conversion of the original digital source like there is with VGA. So this ought to have a clearer picture and definitely cleaner audio than a VGA box.

Timu

I know that!!!

Shaneus

Oh, absolutely. I'm more excited about it delivering a super-clear picture to a HDMI destination with audio. And that any VGA-capable TV I've used with the DC always has weird scaling issues for some reason, so this should eliminate that.

Really? Wow nice. They might be better for import buying than ebay in that case?

I forgot to clarifiy. I bought NA copies, which was kinda surprising. Looking at eBay, the prices are definitely cheaper, but the shipping was $15 for the two. Probably best to order them with other games you're interested in.

I forgot to clarifiy. I bought NA copies, which was kinda surprising. Looking at eBay, the prices are definitely cheaper, but the shipping was $15 for the two. Probably best to order them with other games you're interested in.

Damn, good deal. I was happy getting a new copy of Chu Chu Rocket for $15 by itself a while back.

I'm surprised Play Asia still has brand new Dreamcast games for sale. I ordered ChuChu Rocket and PSO ver. 2 a few weeks ago and just got them today still sealed. Only $8 each.

So awesome. I remember getting ChuChu at a Toys R Us in 2004 or 2005 for $4.88... Opening New DC games feels so awesome and I haven't felt that for a while :(

TAFK

Question for Dreamcast-Gaf,

Does anyone have a good scan/can scan the front and back of the back art for House of the Dead 2?

Also does anyone have a Shenmue case by chance?

I kinda regret spending $80 on a copy of Project Justice. Not a whole lot of meat to the game.

on the other hand, Zombie Revenge was the best $10 i've spent in a long while.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
I kinda regret spending $80 on a copy of Project Justice. Not a whole lot of meat to the game.

feature-heavy FGs have always been uncommon, and were even more uncommon before last gen
notable exceptions are Tobal 1&2, Last Bronx (JP), soul calibur 2 and VF4EVO

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
feature-heavy FGs have always been uncommon, and were even more uncommon before last gen

and, perhaps ironically, Rival Schools. There were all those mini games and stuff like that in there.

Even the JP version of Project Justice had that board game mode, which was stripped out of the US release.

Beartruck

Can anyone tell me if this copy of Elemental Gimmick Gear is factory sealed? All the other games I bought from the guy had crappy resealed plastic, but this one had folded corners. Also, it was listed as new while all his other games were listed as preowned. It has a sticker on it, but it's on top of the plastic. (FYI, I got it well below market value, so good deal either way, I'm just curious).

Link to pictures since they're not showing here for some reason: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41609&p=974244#p974244

yeah and I knew that before buying it, I was just a bit blinded by nostalgia and really wanting to do the tennis team up attack.

fenners

Can anyone tell me if this copy of Elemental Gimmick Gear is factory sealed? All the other games I bought from the guy had crappy resealed plastic, but this one had folded corners. Also, it was listed as new while all his other games were listed as preowned. It has a sticker on it, but it's on top of the plastic. (FYI, I got it well below market value, so good deal either way, I'm just curious).

Link to pictures since they're not showing here for some reason: http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=41609&p=974244#p974244

Looks it to me.

Valkyria

Banned
I'm moving to a new house and we are setting my consoles in a room for them. until now I was using the living room where I have a 2011 Samsung that was pretty good, where I have plugged in my DC through VGA.

The thing is that now I'm looking for a new TV for the consoles' room that is good for gaming (low input lag and such) and I can not find any TV with VGA, only Toshiba ones and they are not too hot. using a converter is out of the way for the extra input lag added. I just don't want to go the RGB route.
Man the DC is the console that has given me more problems of all the ones I have been collecting for over 20 years.

Project Justice is an amazing game, one of the better 3d fighting games of that generation for sure! I was really impressed by it when I played it for the first time sometime a few years ago, it's really good. Now, $80 is a lot, and I'm glad I got it for a lot less than that... but it's a great game.

Zombie Revenge is a very good game too though, yes. I like that game quite a bit, it's fun stuff! It's definitely under-rated.

and, perhaps ironically, Rival Schools. There were all those mini games and stuff like that in there.

Even the JP version of Project Justice had that board game mode, which was stripped out of the US release.
Yeah, removing the adventure mode thing from Rival Schools and the boardgame mode from Project Justice just because Capcom didn't want to have to bother translating them is pretty disappointing. The games are good without it, but Rival Schools particularly... it's pretty silly that it' still a two disc game (on PS1) when probably the main reason there were two separate discs has been removed! I don't like the gameplay in Rival Schools that much, which is one reason why Project Justice's greatness surprised me, but both do have removed modes versus the Japanese versions, yeah.

Saw a Maziora Dreamcast in the wild last week at a Japanese retro store for around 37,000 yen.

Thing was beautiful with the purple pearlescent colouring. I almost bought it, but didn't have the cash on hand and had fly home the next day :(

Project Justice is an amazing game, one of the better 3d fighting games of that generation for sure! I was really impressed by it when I played it for the first time sometime a few years ago, it's really good. Now, $80 is a lot, and I'm glad I got it for a lot less than that... but it's a great game.

Zombie Revenge is a very good game too though, yes. I like that game quite a bit, it's fun stuff! It's definitely under-rated.

I agree, but without someone to play against regularly, it wasn't a wise purchase.

Zombie Revenge is totally off the radar, but is a pretty damn interesting game. Tons of movement and combat tech going on under the hood. But Busujima is the only character worth a damn if you wanna 1cc.

Bioshocker

I bought the Dreameye a while back. It's pretty cool to think of how much Sega had going on for the Dreamcast at the time. Apart from great games and the whole online thing they also had karaoke, motion controllers and a webcam. All 15 years ago.

HKT9402front.jpg

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Posting from a Dreamcast.

gaf_on_dc.jpg

You can have your HDMI mods. I'm partying like it's 1999.

And I'm STRUGGLING on this browser, lol. All the menus are in Japanese, the keyboard is American and doesn;t map all the keys correctly, and GAF is loading a sub-mobile quality skeleton layout. Anyone have reccommendations for Dreamcast browsers? Heh.

Kind of a miracle that this is working at all. How much RAM does this thing even have? And I bet it:s more serviceable than my dad's current laptop.

Time to see how much of the Internet is functional on a 15-year old console browser.

The thing is that now I'm looking for a new TV for the consoles' room that is good for gaming (low input lag and such) and I can not find any TV with VGA, only Toshiba ones and they are not too hot. using a converter is out of the way for the extra input lag added. I just don't want to go the RGB route.
Man the DC is the console that has given me more problems of all the ones I have been collecting for over 20 years.

Lag-free VGA to component converters exist. I use an Audio Authority 9A60A myself.

televator

Is that the 2.0 browser? Haha!

Fine then, more HDMI for me. I'm happier than a pig in shit with GameCube games via HDMI. It's so beautiful. Can't wait to evolve my Dreamcast into digital goodness.

Valkyria

Banned
Posting from a Dreamcast.

gaf_on_dc.jpg

You can have your HDMI mods. I'm partying like it's 1999.

And I'm STRUGGLING on this browser, lol. All the menus are in Japanese, the keyboard is American and doesn;t map all the keys correctly, and GAF is loading a sub-mobile quality skeleton layout. Anyone have reccommendations for Dreamcast browsers? Heh.

Kind of a miracle that this is working at all. How much RAM does this thing even have? And I bet it:s more serviceable than my dad's current laptop.

Time to see how much of the Internet is functional on a 15-year old console browser.

Lag-free VGA to component converters exist. I use an Audio Authority 9A60A myself.

Do you have link to somewhere to find models lag free? I rather buy the TV without VGA for general purpose than settle with a not so good toshiba model.

Top Bottom