• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Dreamcast - Appreciation and Emulation Thread

televator

ehhh VGA/RGB mod is like all kind'sve lovely, im gonna need pics/comparisons when it's done!

After seeing GC games via HDMI, I have seen the light. And after hearing how DC digital sound makes regular analog audio sound like mono by comparison, I have heard the call. :p

Dat IQ goodnes.

I'll give it a try even just because I hate how bulky is to plug vga box

Yeah, there's that too. That's one less box to deal with.

televator

If Dreamcast played PS2 games, things would have turned out very differently after that gen...

Sony dead and SEGA king. Could you imagine?

NR1

Got an amazing Dreamcast lot off Craigslist this past weekend for $200!

1 Dreamcast Console
1 Performance VGA adapter
1 Broadband Adapter
3 Sega Controllers
1 VMU
1 Four-Slot Memory Card
2 Microphones
1 Sega mouse and Madcatz AT/PS2 Keyboard adapter
1 Interact Quantum Fighter Pad
1 Arcade Stick
1 Interact Concept 4 steering wheel with pedals
1 Sega Dreamcast carry bag (Holds console/controllers/games)

Crazy Taxi 2
Project Justice
Chu Chu Rocket
Ikaruga
Guilty Gear X
Propeller Arena Online
Virtual-On
OutTrigger
Unreal Tournament
Quake III Arena
Marval Vs Capcom
Street FIghter Alpha 3
Street Fighter 3 Third Strike
Dead or Alive 2
SoulCaliber
Sonic Adventure 2
Shenmue
Phantasy Star Online
Phantasy Star Online Vrs. 2
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Ooga Booga
Seaman
Alien Front Online
Grandia II
Virtua Tennis
Jet Grind Radio
Sega GT

IrishNinja

...jesus christ, that's a stupid-good deal these days man, congrats!

yo lemme hol Propellor, Alien Front & that BBA right quick

That's a real good DC starter pack. Are you sure the games are legit though? Propeller Arena never came out at retail, so that's a red flag.

NR1

That's a real good DC starter pack. Are you sure the games are legit though? Propeller Arena never came out at retail, so that's a red flag.

Ikaruga, Guilty Gear X, and Propeller Arena Online are all CD-R copies, but the rest are legit retail copies. I believe Ikaruga and Guilty Gear X are Japanese titles only on DC, and yes, Propeller Arena Online was unreleased. They all play great though!

...jesus christ, that's a stupid-good deal these days man, congrats!

yo lemme hol Propellor, Alien Front & that BBA right quick

Alien Front Online really should have had splitscreen support (as Propeller Arena thankfully does have), it's a game designed for multiplayer and without it it's just not nearly as good as it should be...

Anyone know if there's a proper drop-in replacement for the internal rechargeable battery once it goes bad?

The battery has welded tabs and is soldered to the board. If you can deal with those things though, sure, it can be replaced. Just make sure to get the right kind of battery -- it's a rechargeable buttoncell of whatever the correct size type is, not a regular one! It's important to not replace it with a non-rechargeable battery.

Valkyria

Banned
The one I got for x-mas had the same problem. I take to a store to replace it with a battery holder I found online, now There is no need for welding anymore for changing the battery.

I bought in the end the VGA->HDMI converter, a not too expensive one. It is not optimum but it is ok. Thanks to my new TV a bravia with 13ms input lag, even though the converter I can finally play rhythm games without too much hassle.

The thing is that the TV was 395€ way cheaper that the not so good toshiba models with VGA. If I buy more systems previous to the 32 bits gen I may consider going for a X rgb framemeister.

Seik

Banned
EDIT: Wrong thread, oops.

Went on Hit-Japan again, saw Thunder Force Gold Pack 2 at 102$.

I'm like ''I'll offer 75$, there's no way he'll accept that.''

Not even 5 minutes later...

*AGREED*

Oh well, there's goes another 100$ from my wallet for the TF series. XD

...Also bought Fighters Megamix for a fiver.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Went on Hit-Japan again, saw Thunder Force Gold Pack 2 at 102$.

I'm like ''I'll offer 75$, there's no way he'll accept that.''

Not even 5 minutes later...

*AGREED*

Oh well, there's goes another 100$ from my wallet for the TF series. XD

...Also bought Fighters Megamix for a fiver.
wrong thread?
and
you didn't have FM? boy oh boy you're in for a treat

fvng

Hi Folks, does anyone know for certain, if it's possible to remove the 'sega sports' sticker off the black american dreamcast? that shit is tacky as fuck.

Hi Folks, does anyone know for certain, if it's possible to remove the 'sega sports' sticker off the black american dreamcast? that shit is tacky as fuck.

It's not a sticker; it's painted on.

You can remove it with aluminum polish an lots of elbow grease, but you will also likely smooth out the texture and make the surface glossy in that one area.

fvng

It's not a sticker; it's painted on.

You can remove it with aluminum polish an lots of elbow grease, but you will also likely smooth out the texture and make the surface glossy in that one area.

ugh. i saw a pristine black one in a mom and pop shop once and didn't buy it.. now i'm finding it out was potentially one of 500 limited editions released in japan sold via Sega Club.

I think it's worth trying removing the sega sports logo

basically want mine to look like this

281_3.jpg

IrishNinja

hey guise is this the saturn thread now

just put a black venom logo sticker on it, shit works bruh

IrishNinja

your face is gross! different strokes for different folks~
and yeah as a fanboy, spider-man DC was one of the first comic games i truly loved to death

Jaeger

I believe I posted comparison pics a few months ago, maybe in January or December. The Saturn version is slightly too wide. The slowdown is most obvious on DeeJay's stage.

really, just buy the PS1 version. Or if you have deep pockets, the Dreamcast version is the way to go.
(...continued from Saturn Collecting Thread)

So I looked into what you were saying about the Dreamcast port. I knew about it, but I never took the time to read up on it in any way. It just kind of came and went and I never looked into getting a copy initially, something I regret very much now. Apparently from the general consensus I gathered from googlin', the Dreamcast port is for all intents and purposes arcade perfect? Correct ratio, no slowdown issues, and it even has a few things (like the secret Dip Switch menu) no other version has. And on top of that it was a mail-in order Japan only release, making it rare and pricey in the market now. So thanks for the heads up. Now it's a must to get for me.

With that said, did you ever find the stuff that showed the Saturn version of Super Turbo having those issues? You posted that info here? I'd like to see it. ;) This just really fuels my desire to do something I've been wanting to do for awhile now, and that's
collect every damn port ever of Street Fighter II, Champion, Hyper, Super, everything.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
(...continued from Saturn Collecting Thread)

So I looked into what you were saying about the Dreamcast port. I knew about it, but I never took the time to read up on it in any way. It just kind of came and went and I never looked into getting a copy initially, something I regret very much now. Apparently from the general consensus I gathered from googlin', the Dreamcast port is for all intents and purposes arcade perfect? Correct ratio, no slowdown issues, and it even has a few things (like the secret Dip Switch menu) no other version has. And on top of that it was a mail-in order Japan only release, making it rare and pricey in the market now. So thanks for the heads up. Now it's a must to get for me.

With that said, did you ever find the stuff that showed the Saturn version of Super Turbo having those issues? You posted that info here? I'd like to see it. ;) This just really fuels my desire to do something I've been wanting to do for awhile now, and that's
collect every damn port ever of Street Fighter II, Champion, Hyper, Super, everything.
I did not ever find it but I'll be home Tuesday and can redo the comparison

Just booted up Shenmue in Demul and compared it to my Dreamcast (plugged in via VGA adapter). Shenmue is getting real close to looking perfect in emulation. Audio is still a bit meh but hey, progress!

Also whats up with the HDMi board? Wouldn't an VGA box and a VGA to HDMI adapter do the same thing without messing around on the inside of the console?

Jaeger

I did not ever find it but I'll be home Tuesday and can redo the comparison

I appreciate that, good sir! I've been investigating the DC version (and two other Super Turbo ports), and the DC thus far is spot on in terms of colors, and ratio and sprites. I thought for the longest the 3DO port was spot on in some of these points, but it doesn't seem to be the case after doing some comparison shots. Detailing was lost in stages, and sprites are smaller. Fantastic port, but not as good as the Dreamcast, Saturn/PSX ports it seems.

SFIIX for Matching Service is expensive now? Wow, weird. It was so cheap back in the day.

Wish I was hip to it before it got hot.

Top Bottom