• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA Rally 2005 for PS2 famitsu scan

About Subaru over-exposure:

0smokescreen_complete.jpg

:D

But hey, it's the current champion so who's to blame them for using it? It's not like hockey where there are multiple people that all are good enough to warrant a game cover.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
SolidSnakex said:
Hold down Y at the track select screen.

Isn't there multiple framerate codes, like one also to lock it at 30.

Can't wait for this new one. I guess I will be buying a FF Wheel.

Considering that part 2 also had part 1's tracks, I can't get too excited about this, but hey, I can live with it.

Also, I too hope the music is as good as the past games. It does indeed have some of the best racing music period. But I wonder how much Mizuguchi had to do with it being so good.

doncale

Banned
for whoever was wondering, Dreamcast Sega Rally 2 has a 60fps code. it reduces some of the details and makes the framerate somewhat smoother, closer to 60fps. but even then it's not a solid 60fps, it still has framerate dips/stutters, just not as bad as the normal mode. there was a 30fps code too, I think, unless I'm mistaken. its been over 3 years since I've played DC SR2 so my memory is a bit foggy.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
doncale said:
for whoever was wondering, Dreamcast Sega Rally 2 has a 60fps code. it reduces some of the details and makes the framerate somewhat smoother, closer to 60fps. but even then it's not a solid 60fps, it still has framerate dips/stutters, just not as bad as the normal mode. there was a 30fps code too, I think, unless I'm mistaken. its been over 3 years since I've played DC SR2 so my memory is a bit foggy.

That's why I asked, cause I remember the 60fps still being not fully stable, and most people preferred the locked 30fps mode.

doncale

Banned
btw, the very first picture in that famitsu scan, the photograph (or CG render) that's how i expect Rally games too look on PS3 :D

MAZYORA

FortNinety said:
Considering that part 2 also had part 1's tracks, I can't get too excited about this, but hey, I can live with it.

Also, I too hope the music is as good as the past games. It does indeed have some of the best racing music period. But I wonder how much Mizuguchi had to do with it being so good.

hmmm....good question? I'm pretty sure Kenji Sasaki was the director of both Sega Rally games, so I'm guessin' he had more to do with it than Miz. I know Sasaki was one of the creators of Ridge Racer, so I'm sure Sega Rally 2005 is in good hands. I read a interview(it was an initial D interview i believe) a while back sayin' he was working on Sega Rally 3, so I'm guessing he's involved with SR2k5 in some role(prolly producer.)

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
um.... isn't this generic looking ASS??!?!?!

I love sega and all, but ... christ... welcome to Ordinary ville arizon.... population... lots..

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
DCharlie said:

I love sega and all, but ... christ... welcome to Ordinary ville arizon.... population... lots..

I'm not quite sure what you expected, though...

It does look kinda generic, but the older SR games kinda do too (these days, anyways).

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
i'm thrilled to have sega rally return... i'm sure it will rock

just wish this sucker was on chihiro/xbox then ported to ps2. still though, the graphics are far from bad

DCharlie

"I'm not quite sure what you expected, though...
It does look kinda generic, but the older SR games kinda do too (these days, anyways)."

i happen to know who Sega approached to head up this project, who turned it down, and why this is such a let down.

it just looks... meh.

if this was RSC3 , blood would be spilt. I am a BIG sega lover, but come on, we are giving lee way here. These initial screen shots are FUCKING SHITE! Granted , Sega Rally is about handling, but HOT DAMN! the screens look like bollox.

dark10x

DCharlie said:
It does look kinda generic, but the older SR games kinda do too (these days, anyways)."

i happen to know who Sega approached to head up this project, who turned it down, and why this is such a let down.

it just looks... meh.

if this was RSC3 , blood would be spilt. I am a BIG sega lover, but come on, we are giving lee way here. These initial screen shots are FUCKING SHITE! Granted , Sega Rally is about handling, but HOT DAMN! the screens look like bollox.

Why, though? The car models are fine, the backgrounds are detailed enough (though not terribly colorful), and the textures are fine. It looks a lot better than Sega Rally 2, visually. What's the problem? It doesn't match RSC2? Is that it? What did you expect?

Have you seen it in motion yet, by any chance? That's more important than screens.

If it handles fine, we're OK. If not...well, that sucks.

op_ivy

DCharlie said:

it just looks... meh.

fucking shit? no. it looks better then 80% of racers (judging soley by these tiny scans :p) but they certainly arent close to pushing the visual envelope the previous games in the series did... but that should have been obvious when we learned the game was coming to ps2.

dark10x

What is this, then? Dreamcast?

It isn't from the PC port (for obvious reasons), so it must be DC.

screen09g.jpg

Sho Nuff

Banned
op_ivy said:
fucking shit? no. it looks better then 80% of racers (judging soley by these tiny scans :p) but they certainly arent close to pushing the visual envelope the previous games in the series did... but that should have been obvious when we learned the game was coming to ps2.

My problem is how it looks virtually indistinguishable from the eight billion other PS2 rally games out there. I really don't see what they can do to make it stand out in the day and age of Rallisport 2.

It's not going to look drastically different or better than any other rally game out there. Mainly because Sega isn't making it on some arcade hardware that smacks any console hardware around like they have in the past. As long as the gameplay is still the same, that's enough seperation from your average rally racer, since SR's gameplay owns them all.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I really don't see what they can do to make it stand out in the day and age of Rallisport 2.
Well, they can try to make it actually popular so that people will buy it. Although I somehow doubt it will happen. Burnout 3 is an example of how to set things right and make people look (and buy).

op_ivy

the shot in the forest looks great :)

as does the village in the desert (sega rally 1?).

i hope the game is as sharp as it appears in the scans... i cant handle the vasaline blur/cataract vision that is wrc04's IQ

DCharlie

"It's not going to look drastically different or better than any other rally game out there. Mainly because Sega isn't making it on some arcade hardware that smacks any console h
ardware around like they have in the past. As long as the gameplay is still the same, that's enough seperation from your average rally racer, since SR's gameplay owns them all."

isn't this part of the seperation from Sega of old and Sega of now? Could you imagine Sega Rally 3 coming out X years ago and not trouncing everything else available graphically?

whilst the Arcade/home console goal posts have been moved somewhat, i'm with Sho on this. The game just looks too ordinary at the moment. As mentioned , the handling will surely be the breaking point, but i'm sure the casual market have already decided to not bother - i stand by the statement... the screens look ass.

doncale

Banned
It's not going to look drastically different or better than any other rally game out there. Mainly because Sega isn't making it on some arcade hardware that smacks any console hardware around like they have in the past.

BINGO. give the man a free copy of SR2K5 :)

As long as the gameplay is still the same, that's enough seperation from your average rally racer, since SR's gameplay owns them all.

and a free steering wheel of his choice :D

DCharlie

"It's not going to look drastically different or better than any other rally game out there. Mainly because Sega isn't making it on some arcade hardware that smacks any console hardware around like they have in the past.

BINGO. give the man a free copy of SR2K5"

granted, but neither should it look like it's not much better than the DC version of SR2 from about 5 years ago like this.

It should be in the same ball park, and it may be that the scans are\n't too good, but this looks VERY disappointing if this is "Sega Rally 3".

Call me a graphics whore etc, but it still looks like ass. Sega are supposed to be pioneers , not "oh, well, it's in the middle of the pack" - fucking hell.

Distressed Sega Fan.

dude your not a Sega fan. You're a graphics whore. looks good to me. F355 on PS2 is still my favorite racing game this gen and THAT looks like ass. (but at least it's 60fps :p)

DCharlie said:
isn't this part of the seperation from Sega of old and Sega of now? Could you imagine Sega Rally 3 coming out X years ago and not trouncing everything else available graphically?

If this is SR3, i'd agree with you that it's disappointing that they didn't just wait till they put together a new arcade to make it. If it's a remake though, then I think it looks fine. It wouldn't make much sense to throw that onto a new arcade machine to run it. Going by neo's post, it seems to just be a remake. Maybe to gauge the popularity of the series?

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Sho Nuff said:
My problem is how it looks virtually indistinguishable from the eight billion other PS2 rally games out there. I really don't see what they can do to make it stand out in the day and age of Rallisport 2.

Yeah, RSC2's graphics are nothing short of breathtaking.

However, is it just me, or are quite a few tracks WAAAAY too dark? I mean, the ones that are set in Scotland, with the gloomy weather, as well as the Jackknife tracks. I find myself having to turn the brightness on my rear projection TV ALL THE WAY UP TO 100. And the contrast up to like 70....something I HATE doing!

The co-pilot never said "baby" he said "maybe"

biggest mistake when it comes to quoting the game.

I hope this one plays like Saturn SR1. Aracade SR1 was not as good nor was any version of SR2.

Drexon

Banned
Sho Nuff said:
Hear hear!

I told my friend this and he was all "Ahaha, RSC2 sucks! Halo 2 Sucks! Killzone >> Halo 1&2." ...Just to spite me. :(

dark10x

I think people were just expecting too much...

Sega wouldn't want to spend the cash on developing a new arcade platform that sits generations above the current machines just for a few arcade titles (which would probably perform poorly). Times have simply changed...

When the most powerful arcade hardware on the market right now is based on a home console (Chihiro/XBOX), you know things are no longer the same. Chihiro/XBOX would have made a much better home for SR2k5, though...but it still would never go beyond the reach of other games we already have at home.

jett

D-Member
DCharlie said:

Yeh, it doesn't look hot at all.

COCKLES

being watched
DCharlie said:

It's no Outrun 2...but what is.

But will Sega stay on the path of truthness and glory...or will they cave in at the last moment and make it SEGA RALLY GT - anal slowness, no powerslides and 200 billion parts and upgrades at the expense of the fun-factor.

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Sega wouldn't want to spend the cash on developing a new arcade platform that sits generations above the current machines just for a few arcade titles (which would probably perform poorly). Times have simply changed...

I would sure like someone to buck this trend. That's not forward thinking. I have no indicator of what games will look like in the future anymore, other than the PC.

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
Outrun 2 has proven one of Sega's better performers this past year, so much so it's getting an SP upgrade. Not to mention Initial D's worldwide success... there's definitely a solid market for arcade racers in amusement, probably moreso than on consoles.

dark10x said:
When the most powerful arcade hardware on the market right now is based on a home console (Chihiro/XBOX), you know things are no longer the same. Chihiro/XBOX would have made a much better home for SR2k5, though...but it still would never go beyond the reach of other games we already have at home.
By the time Sega Rally 2005 actually releases, Sega new PVR3 board (System SP?) will probably be on the market.

dark10x

jarrod said:
Outrun 2 has proven one of Sega's better performers this past year, so much so it's getting an SP upgrade. Not to mention Initial D's worldwide success... there's definitely a solid market for arcade racers in amusement, probably moreso than on consoles.

By the time Sega Rally 2005 actually releases, Sega new PVR3 board (System SP?) will probably be on the market.

Still, the Model series arcade boards were always WAAYYYY ahead of anything on the home market. I doubt that the new Sega board will be as large of a step forward as some people seem to demand.

Xellos

I agree with DCharlie. These little screens are ugly. Did they just choose a bad set of shots or is Sega just not trying with this one?

dark10x

Xellos said:
I agree with DCharlie. These little screens are ugly. Did they just choose a bad set of shots or is Sega just not trying with this one?

I just want to know what's so ugly about them.

Shompola

Banned
here is my wish thinking: sega should develop some new arcade machine that is releleased some time next year along with the new sega rally . then a year later the game is ported to ps3, xbox 2 or revolution as a launch title.

jarrod

Banned
dark10x said:
Still, the Model series arcade boards were always WAAYYYY ahead of anything on the home market. I doubt that the new Sega board will be as large of a step forward as some people seem to demand.
Sure it will... until Xenon releases a few months later. :)

Top Bottom