• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
no, you must never buy ports of anything ever if a better one exists elsewhere
it's why i don't fuck with most 16-bit games, i just save up for arcade cabinets and refit them with OLED screens

Dude the Saturn version costs more than double the PS1 version.

Why would anybody want that unless they just want a collector's piece?

IrishNinja

Dude the Saturn version costs more than double the PS1 version.

Why would anybody want that unless they just want a collector's piece?

eh, got mine for just about $50 i wanna say, isn't that about how much the non-GH PS1 copy goes for or so? i haven't really kept up.

and again, i wanted to see how it was on saturn, and the new areas/play as maria/etc. ive completed SOTN to death & wanted to see more stuff.

I knew you'd come around eventually.

i knew i shoudln'tve let you write a superior OP for that thread; now i stopped playing games so i'd have more time to calibrate & measure things <3

IrishNinja

for real, we should do a sort've "Lost in the arcades" thread for retro-GAF, especially stuff like you guys are pointing that that can't properly be recreated at home. off the top of my head, i always wanted to play that Golgo 13 sniper one i saw.

cj_iwakura

Even then, Time Crisis 1 looks way worse on PS1 than arcade. It suffered a huge graphical downgrade for the home conversion.

TC1 is one of few games I can safely I absolutely mastered. I hate the later games for taking time out of the equation. Each section has a small timer, not one giant one. It's literally impossible to die to time over in TC2 and beyond.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
eh, got mine for just about $50 i wanna say, isn't that about how much the non-GH PS1 copy goes for or so? i haven't really kept up.

You can get a US black label copy for $30 easily. A Saturn version is probably only $50 in the best case. More likely it's $60+

woodypop

I hesitate to call double dipping on anything "worth it".
It depends on the reason for double-dipping. There are some games I like so much I want to experience them via multiple various ports, some obviously better than others. Personally, it's just neat to see what corners were cut, what was deemed essential, what extra content was incorporated, etc. Strider, Forgotten Worlds, Raiden, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Street Fighter. . . yeah, I could play the most arcade-perfect versions, but I also find it very interesting to play the "lesser" versions, too (TG-16, Genesis, Master System, SNES).

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
for real, we should do a sort've "Lost in the arcades" thread for retro-GAF, especially stuff like you guys are pointing that that can't properly be recreated at home. off the top of my head, i always wanted to play that Golgo 13 sniper one i saw.
"GAF Plays: Boonga Boonga"

Let's make it happen.

IrishNinja

You can get a US black label copy for $30 easily. A Saturn version is probably only $50 in the best case. More likely it's $60+

i stand corrected; i really don't keep up with prices at the moment and PSX ones vary wildly in my mind; i remember looking for black label FF VII in like '08 and people wanted $50-75 for that shit. got it this year for $10.

"GAF Plays: Boonga Boonga"

Let's make it happen.

and we have a title

Mercutio

i stand corrected; i really don't keep up with prices at the moment and PSX ones vary wildly in my mind; i remember looking for black label FF VII in like '08 and people wanted $50-75 for that shit. got it this year for $10.

and we have a title

I sold my Black Label FFVII for $90 in 2007ish. I remember being absolutely stunned by the fact that I could do that.

Ms. Tea

Most of the new content in Saturn SotN is pretty unnecessary, but the Saturn version of Maria is a lot of fun, and since that version isn't in any other version of the game it's worth playing the Saturn version for her if you like the game.

Mercutio

Most of the new content in Saturn SotN is pretty unnecessary, but the Saturn version of Maria is a lot of fun, and since that version isn't in any other version of the game it's worth playing the Saturn version for her if you like the game.

The fight with her is also awesome. I remember just kind of going through the motions (I've played SOTN probably 10 times to 200%) and hitting her boss fight. Blew my mind. The Poison Knight boss fight is also kind of cool.

Worth $70 though? No sir.

Teknoman

So i'm saving up rewards points on my credit card to use those for retro purchases. Think I should just keep holding onto em for Hyper Duel, or should I just use them until I knock out my more normal priced wants, then go for the big time?

Depends on what your wants are I guess. If you already own most of the stuff you want, I'd say get HD because I assume it will only get even more ridiculously expensive.

Teknoman

Depends on what your wants are I guess. If you already own most of the stuff you want, I'd say get HD because I assume it will only get even more ridiculously expensive.

Well here is whats left on my list:

• Hyper Duel
  • Blast Wind
  • Albert Odyssey
  • Hot Blooded Family
  • Mystaria / Blazing Heroes
  • Shining Wisdom
  • Dodonpachi
  • Burning Rangers
  • Fantasy Zone Sega ages
  • Sonic R
  • Three dirty dwarves
  • Metal Black
  • Darius Gaiden
  • Panzer Dragoon Saga
  • Silhouette Mirage
  • Outrun
  • Jikky&#333; Oshaberi Parodius
  • Afterburner II
  • Assault Suits Leynos 2
  • Saturn Bomberman
  • Battle Garegga
  • Shinobi X (PAL Region)
  • PuLiRuLa Arcade Gears
  • Psychic Killer Taromaru
  • Soukyugurentai Otokuyo

So I know i've still got a few pricey wants still on there too. But yeah, HD is on a steady incline.

GulAtiCa

Got a whole bunch of Sega Saturn games in yesterday, with a few more incoming. So far have like 18 US games and like 6 (including 2 or 3 of which are the big cd cases) JP.

Turns out my duplicate Resident Evil came in handy, this new one is in better shape, manually with the manual. Need to get a better Hexen case. As that one is bent to hell. Esp the bottom portion bent outwards..

I need a Guardian Heroes manual, as well as boxes for Mega Man X4, Shining the Holy Ark, Baku Baku, BUG!, Japanese Doom and probably some others whatever

Either buy a printer or seek some complete copies to replace what's missing. I doubt you'd ever come across orphaned manuals, especially of stuff like Guardian Heroes these days (though, you might find on eBay at a premium).

GulAtiCa

Might be tough to print a whole manual :p

Cover page wouldn't really look that well compared to other cases I have with manuals as the cover/etc. I'll end up re-buying that game CIB at some point anyways.

Spades

Pleased to say that I've finally joined SaturnGAF tonight. Purchased this bundle for £28:

tumblr_n7fjsoKbW21qiv7luo1_500.jpg

I've never owned a Saturn before - my friends and I all owned PlayStation's and N64's when we were growing up, so the only time I ever played on a Saturn was for a few minutes on the demo machines when we went into an electronics store or such.

Needless to say I'm looking forward to getting into the back catalogue a little, Daytona USA was one of the games I wanted to play and I have that now so I can start there. I want to pick up Sega Rally next.

woodypop

^^^ Congrats, Spades! Welcome to the club!

Good start with VF2 and Daytona. Yes, definitely go for Sega Rally. What other games do you look to get in the future?

Khaz

Yep, you're up to almost a good start. You just need to throw away that RF cable now and buy some decent Scart cable. Please. http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_t...1313&_nkw=saturn+rgb+scart&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Some people will tell you that Daytona USA Championship Circuit Edition is crap compared to the Japanese edition or the original one.
They're right.
Don't let it deter you and enjoy it as it's still a very good game.

[...]Sega Rally, NiGHTS, Clockwork Night.

So far so good. You haven't yet found out about the super expensive gems that shine on the console and cripple your wallet. Enjoy while it last, as you'll soon be in turmoil for wanting everything and not having enough money for a single one.

Oh, and get a proper controller too. You'll kill your thumbs with this one on Virtua Fighter.

Spades

Yep, you're up to almost a good start. You just need to throw away that RF cable now and buy some decent Scart cable. Please. http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_t...1313&_nkw=saturn+rgb+scart&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Some people will tell you that Daytona USA Championship Circuit Edition is crap compared to the Japanese edition or the original one.
They're right.
Don't let it deter you and enjoy it as it's still a very good game.

So far so good. You haven't yet found out about the super expensive gems that shine on the console and cripple your wallet. Enjoy while it last, as you'll soon be in turmoil for wanting everything and not having enough money for a single one.

Oh, and get a proper controller too. You'll kill your thumbs with this one on Virtua Fighter.

Haha, thank you for the advice! I was going to ask about what video method is best to use. What controller would you recommend?

Khaz

Haha, thank you for the advice! I was going to ask about what video method is best to use. What controller would you recommend?

The one and only:

SaturnPad.jpg

(Colour/origin doesn't matter)

This advice works regardless of the console or computer. Best 2D controller ever.

Mercutio

The one and only:

SaturnPad.jpg

(Colour/origin doesn't matter)

This advice works regardless of the console or computer. Best 2D controller ever.

It's so sad how expensive they've become. I'm slowly trying to collect as many different kinds as I possibly can. I did recently get one of the skeleton ones, New in Box.

Pleased to say that I've finally joined SaturnGAF tonight. Purchased this bundle for £28:

tumblr_n7fjsoKbW21qiv7luo1_500.jpg

I've never owned a Saturn before - my friends and I all owned PlayStation's and N64's when we were growing up, so the only time I ever played on a Saturn was for a few minutes on the demo machines when we went into an electronics store or such.

Needless to say I'm looking forward to getting into the back catalogue a little, Daytona USA was one of the games I wanted to play and I have that now so I can start there. I want to pick up Sega Rally next.

Welcome! Your story is almost like mine, never got to play Saturn other than in shops in my youth. Here in Norway they didn't even launch the console, bought one last year!

I notice the £ symbol so, as a fellow UK Saturn gamer, get a 50/60hz switch put in there! I did it a few months ago and I'm not proficient in soldering in any way but it was dead easy. A work colleague lent me Panzer Dragoon Saga to go through and seeing the different when you switch is crazy. I'm actually planning to go through some other consoles of mine and put switches in them too (first up, Mega Drive!).

onken

You know I really thought SSF was pretty much perfect (to make up for its lack of enhancements) however had 2 game breaking bugs requiring reload so far on PDS. I have it set to "maximum compatibility (slowest)" in the settings on the latest version with bios. Please tell me I'm doing something wrong.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
You know I really thought SSF was pretty much perfect (to make up for its lack of enhancements) however had 2 game breaking bugs requiring reload so far on PDS. I have it set to "maximum compatibility (slowest)" in the settings on the latest version with bios. Please tell me I'm doing something wrong.
Try the next-most-recent version of the emulator and see if it fares any better. I don't really know enough about it to help with specific issues, but I do know that each release tends to fix a few things while sometimes breaking others.

Mercutio

Hey, anyone want the guts of a 4MB RAM Cart? I've been doing inventory and somehow I've got the guts of one, sans shell.

Yours for the price of shipping, if you want it. Shoot me a PM.

Anyone have advice on flattening Saturn manuals and CD tray inserts that are wrinkled from water damage? :(

Discovered we had a leak in the basement from bad storms last week. Dripped/poured from the ceiling onto a CD rack holding my Saturn imports and a shelf holding some other PS3 game LE's. Didn't find it until days later and a lot was still wet. Thankfully I caught it before pages of the manuals got stuck together, but they're really wrinkled now, along with the tray inserts and whatever other printed stuff was in the cases. Only one that got ruined was Bulk Slash since it used some sort of raised ink on the cover which is now permanently glued to the CD jewel case.

Only one that got ruined was Bulk Slash since it used some sort of raised ink on the cover which is now permanently glued to the CD jewel case.
You may not have noticed before, but Bulk Slash's cover IS glued to the CD jewel case. It's kind of weird like that. Then the manual is that foldout flyer inside the glued-down paper cover.

You may not have noticed before, but Bulk Slash's cover IS glued to the CD jewel case. It's kind of weird like that. Then the manual is that foldout flyer inside the glued-down paper cover.

Oh wow, thanks for clarifying. I guess I never realized it was glued in there like that. Now I feel even worse for trying to peel it off a little bit.

thomasos

Does anyone know if it's possible to flatten a back insert that's gotten wavy? This seems to be pretty common with Saturn and Sega CD games.

thomasos

No, it's moisture damage.

Akklaim titles seem to be especially affected by this.

It seems completely random. All of my games have been stored together for years, and some suffer from the issue while others don't.

Any tips on how I might avoid it happening to more of my games?

Top Bottom