• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Also someone else claimed it was legal to download something when you had the original at home, which clearly isn't. Morally and ethically I don't give a damn what you download over the internet and how you use it, but stating you have the law with you is clearly incorrect. It topped "you can keep the rom for 24 hours" in the list of the most believed emulation myths.
It's more of a legal grey area than the clearly illegal thing you paint it as, I'm pretty sure. You can make a case that yes, downloading a copy of a game you own an identical copy of is illegal... but has that ever been tested in court? I've never heard of a case going to court where the person's defense was that they owned a legit copy of the game, but wanted to download one instead of backing it up! It could go either way, I think. Provided you do own a legal copy to begin with, of course.

Crowza

I just bought a Saturn SCART cable off eBay, and a SCART-HDMI converter from Amazon. After replacing the lithium battery in my Saturn and getting everything connected to my HDTV, all I can say is WOW!

My Saturn has never looked so good. Seriously, I wish I had done this a long time ago.

IIRC, it was $20 for the cable and $40 for the converter box. I'm considering getting SCART cables for my Genesis and Master System now.

Now to replay some of my favorite Japanese games.

Crowza

Region lock is really easy: get an Action Replay 4-in-1. The downside is that it doesn't support direct saving and apparently can lose your saves (I've not seen it happen, or even really heard of it happening, but I know at least one guy who's ultra paranoid about it - shame I can't remember who it is)..

I had a Pro Action Replay that crashed on me and it took all of my saves with it (it was devastating). The real shame of it was that I wasn't using it to bypass region lock (I installed a region switch), I had just bought it and used it because it was much cheaper than the official Sega memory cart.

That was probably two years after the Saturn launched in the US. I bought an official Sega cart after that and it still works to this day.

Crowza

Which seller?=O

I want to get one soon.

I bought it from retro_console_accessories ... From their profile it appears they make the cables themselves and ship them from Florida.

I've built plenty of cables in my day, so I don't mind saying they do great work. It was a high quality cable and I was impressed. They shipped it fast, no complaints. I'd easily recommend them.

Timu

I bought it from retro_console_accessories ... From their profile it appears they make the cables themselves and ship them from Florida.

I've built plenty of cables in my day, so I don't mind saying they do great work. It was a high quality cable and I was impressed. They shipped it fast, no complaints. I'd easily recommend them.
I got my SNES scart cable from her.=O

Kolma

That's where I got my genesis scart from.
About $20 but oh so worth it!

I had a Pro Action Replay that crashed on me and it took all of my saves with it (it was devastating). The real shame of it was that I wasn't using it to bypass region lock (I installed a region switch), I had just bought it and used it because it was much cheaper than the official Sega memory cart.

That was probably two years after the Saturn launched in the US. I bought an official Sega cart after that and it still works to this day.
I'm not 100% certain the Pro Action Replay is the same thing as the Action Replay 4-in-1.

Seik

Banned
So a complete Saturn US MM8 is around 300 bucks?!

WTF...something like 2 years ago I bought a copy from goldenpp72 for something like 90$ and it was just a bit lower than the current price from then.

I'm repeating myself, but holy shit the prices are going nuts lately.

I wonder how a sealed JAP version is worth, I have one since quite a few years from a luck-shot on Ebay that I got for 40$.

Mzo

Yeah, what the fuck happened to Mega Man 8 on Saturn?

I'm glad I got the Saturn version since it had the extra bosses. It was like $20 way back on the early aughts.

This Mega Man bubble is bullshit =[

So a friend recently let me play his Saturn the other day and I have to say, Virtua Cop kicks ass. Also Virtua Fighter 2. I'm gonna have to get into this scene for VC alone though. If his internal battery wasn't dead I'd be going for high scores.

IrishNinja

So a complete Saturn US MM8 is around 300 bucks?!

iqrRK23uN54WT.gif

Timu

Mega Man 8 tends to be in the 100 bucks range disc only on amazon...however someone on ebay is selling it for 300 bucks without the original case and manual...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Wow, MM8 is going for THAT much?! I have the Japanese versions of X3, X4, and 8 but not the US version. I do have a complete US version of Megaman X4 for Saturn, though.

I'm really surprised by how quickly and by how much the value of certain games has increased. When checking values in my collection just for kicks I discovered a lot of games that are going for a whole lot more than I had expected.

That price, wow. And for a game that was torn to shreds when it came out...
I think part of that is due to the 2D fatigue of the time. Megaman was old hat and MM8 didn't do much for the genre.

It's a solid game even if it's not one of the strongest entries. I just played through it this year and had a good time.

It's worth noting the Saturn version of MM8 has 2 extra bosses and bonus stuff like artwork over the PS release. It's probably more desirable for that reason.

Bought a Japanese Sega Saturn. Living in Japan.

Gimme a list.

Note: already have Guardian Heroes, Sonic Jam, Shining Force III Scenario 1, Panzer Dragoon Zwei and Rayman. Can't be Mega Man 8.

Bought a Japanese Sega Saturn. Living in Japan.

Gimme a list.

Note: already have Guardian Heroes, Sonic Jam, Shining Force III Scenario 1, Panzer Dragoon Zwei and Rayman. Can't be Mega Man 8.
Sure.

(A list of what? Japanese games? Well, what genres are you after? Why is Rockman 8 out of the question? I need details, man!)

Sure.

(A list of what? Japanese games? Well, what genres are you after? Why is Rockman 8 out of the question? I need details, man!)

Japanese games. Ones that I could find with relative ease. I really don't mind the genre, whatever is fun!

I'm early conversational level Japanese proficiency, so can't really do wordy RPG's - but if there are any US releases of said RPG's, I can try and pick them up during Christmas.

Necronomicon is a cool JP-exclusive pinball game.

Love pinball! Thanks for the suggestion.

Khaz

Sega Rally. And give us your times! There's a permanent competition going on between gaffers, whenever you get a personal best you give it here, no need for screenshots etc, I'll take your word for it (unless someone doubts you.)

Sega Rally. And give us your times! There's a permanent competition going on between gaffers, whenever you get a personal best you give it here, no need for screenshots etc, I'll take your word for it (unless someone doubts you.)

I'm in the super inaka (Yamaguchi), so unless it comes up on Amazon...I can't really get it.

However, totally acquirable when in the US.

alf717

Japanese games. Ones that I could find with relative ease. I really don't mind the genre, whatever is fun!

I'm early conversational level Japanese proficiency, so can't really do wordy RPG's - but if there are any US releases of said RPG's, I can try and pick them up during Christmas.

Love pinball! Thanks for the suggestion.

If you are into survival horror check out Biohazrd and Deep Fear. Both have English voice acting but text will be in Japanese.

Mmm, I'd have suggested Azel: Panzer Dragoon RPG, on the grounds that the Japanese release is MUCH cheaper, but it is a bit wordy. Menus and those moments where Edge talks to himself might be tricky. At least all dialog is spoken Japanese (barring the opening and ending, which are Panzerese)?

Same with Burning Rangers - Japanese version is cheaper, but because you're having directions barked at you by your navigator, knowing the language is kind of important.

Radiant Silvergun is a great Japan-only shmup, although it's probably gonna set you back a bit ($100 at least, probably more like $150).

Fighting games are a dime-a-dozen in the Japanese library, and they can be quite good given the expansion RAM and such. I know a lot of people swear by the Saturn ports of Street Fighter Zero 3 and Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter, for instance.

Apparently the Japanese version of Doom is better than the US/EU version. I only have the former, not the Western release, so I can't comment. Although, Seireki 1999: Pharaoh no Fukkatsu is a pretty darn good FPS you might be interested in (PowerSlave in the US, Exhumed in Europe).

Darkseed 2 is on the Saturn in Japan for some reason. I don't recommend it (watch the Wrongpurae instead), I just thought that was amusing.

Khaz

I'm in the super inaka (Yamaguchi), so unless it comes up on Amazon...I can't really get it.

However, totally acquirable when in the US.

I have no idea what you're talking about. However it's one of the, if not the, most common game for the Saturn, for all regions. You can find it aplenty online and in retail stores.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
If there's a legit reason I'm open to it. Just snagged a complete copy of Street Fighter Alpha 2, which is one of my fav games in the series.

Do I already own it on ps one? Yes.
Do I already own the alpha anthology on ps2? Yes.
Am I crazy? Yes.

But it's the best version and I get to use my beloved saturn pad. I just love what my US saturn collection looks like all lined up.
same old song but damn did this game get expensive!

few years ago...
fHegu99.png

Timu

Mmm, I'd have suggested Azel: Panzer Dragoon RPG, on the grounds that the Japanese release is MUCH cheaper, but it is a bit wordy. Menus and those moments where Edge talks to himself might be tricky. At least all dialog is spoken Japanese (barring the opening and ending, which are Panzerese)?

Same with Burning Rangers - Japanese version is cheaper, but because you're having directions barked at you by your navigator, knowing the language is kind of important.
From what I know and seen Panzer Dragoon Azel is linear and does have some English caps so it shouldn't be too bad. As for Burning Rangers, there's a thread on it about it being playable even without needing to know Japanese.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I recommend playing PDS in English and burning rangers not at all.
It depends on whether you know the language.

I was just playing Burning Rangers JP this week (and it doesn't hold up great) and the language usage is simple and clear enough to understand easily.

PDS, however, I found to be a bit more difficult. I was able to play through but did sometimes find myself missing certain bits.

It's a shame about Burning Rangers, though, as it does actually control really well but the super low frame-rate combined with the cramped environments and texture warping make it hard to stomach.

Mzo

If there's a legit reason I'm open to it. Just snagged a complete copy of Street Fighter Alpha 2, which is one of my fav games in the series.

Do I already own it on ps one? Yes.
Do I already own the alpha anthology on ps2? Yes.
Am I crazy? Yes.

But it's the best version and I get to use my beloved saturn pad. I just love what my US saturn collection looks like all lined up.

Is it really the best version?

What about Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold included in the Saturn Street Fighter Collection?

The 3D pad helps Burning Rangers feel better. The last level takes a fucking weird twist, though.

Best version of SFA2 (and SFA2 Gold) is on the PS2 compilation. Use homebrew to force 240p and you're set.

Saturn one is supposed to be a good contemporaneous port, but you'll notice the aspect ratio is a little off making the sprites look a little chubby.

Jamix012

If you want Burning Rangers, stick with the PAL release. MUCH cheaper. I also loved the game.

The mods would confirm I didn't PM any of them about this topic.

While I'm here I may as well confirm it wasn't me either. Likely someone on your "side" wanting clarification if anything.

Radiant Silvergun is a great Japan-only shmup, although it's probably gonna set you back a bit ($100 at least, probably more like $150).

Fighting games are a dime-a-dozen in the Japanese library, and they can be quite good given the expansion RAM and such. I know a lot of people swear by the Saturn ports of Street Fighter Zero 3 and Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter, for instance.

Apparently the Japanese version of Doom is better than the US/EU version. I only have the former, not the Western release, so I can't comment. Although, Seireki 1999: Pharaoh no Fukkatsu is a pretty darn good FPS you might be interested in (PowerSlave in the US, Exhumed in Europe).

Darkseed 2 is on the Saturn in Japan for some reason. I don't recommend it (watch the Wrongpurae instead), I just thought that was amusing.

For some reason the Japanese version of House of the Dead is incredibly cheaper than the US one.

I should pop-in Burning Rangers again at some point...just to see how much it aged compared to the last time I played it (I actually managed to get every survivor, though I lost the save along with my all A Rank NiGHTS when I didn't get a 4-in1 Action Replay in time to transfer it over).

looking at PDS prices...I'm keeping my copy, wasn't cheap, but not as expensive as prices have gotten now-a-days. I also want to get back and replay the game, it was fun.

Would love to get a copy of the UK PAL version of Deep Fear, but if Japanese is the only cheap option...guess I better get back to learning Japanese.

Khaz

Would love to get a copy of the UK PAL version of Deep Fear, but if Japanese is the only cheap option...guess I better get back to learning Japanese.

I recall someone saying that the game was entirely in English, with Japanese subtitles for the voice-acting.I may be wrong though.

Menus would be entirely in Japanese, so you wouldn't be able to read files, and would probably stumble around the actual game a fair bit.

Fortunately, the game has closets seemingly with infinite ammo for you to frequently restock with.

coughlanio

Heading to Japan in a few weeks, and thinking of picking up a Saturn and some games.

How much could I expect to pick up the console for, and what games would you recommend?

Heading to Japan in a few weeks, and thinking of picking up a Saturn and some games.

How much could I expect to pick up the console for, and what games would you recommend?

I'll be real with you. At this stage of the game, the better Saturn stuff I'd recommend is pricey; even in Japan. If you're gonna do the damn thing, you better already be a fan of the system. Like, fawned over previews in GameFAN decades ago and shit. Otherwise, you'll end up with a bunch of expensive games you don't really give a shit about, and it'll be a total waste.

I hate to be a pessimist, but why get into something obscure like import Saturn when you don't even know what to get on it?

edit: I re-read that post and realize I sound like a real passive-aggressive shithead. If you want some help, search this forum for CoachKevin's Back in My Play podcast thread. In two of the more recent episodes, he and Greg Sewart recommend Saturn stuff and give you tips on getting started.

Mercutio

Are there any tangible reasons one would own both the SF Collection on Saturn and SFA2? Other than just, say, being a completionist?

I may have accidentally won both on eBay.

Console should run you around $35-$50, if I'm not mistaken. They're fairly common. Games though, man. You can get common stuff on eBay for $5-10, but the really cool stuff can often range into hundreds of dollars. There's plenty of fun to be had for the cheap, but be awfully careful around the deep end.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Is it possible to get the action replay working in ssf?

I have been watching for a deal on Taromaru and Hyper Duel, my last two Saturn grails, for years and have only seen their prices steadily increase.

If I want either of these, is there no way around it: I'm going to spend $300-$400 each? Is there someplace I should be looking other than eBay?

alf717

I have been watching for a deal on Taromaru and Hyper Duel, my last two Saturn grails, for years and have only seen their prices steadily increase.

If I want either of these, is there no way around it: I'm going to spend $300-$400 each? Is there someplace I should be looking other than eBay?

Unless a kind soul makes you an offer your SOL and are gonna have to shell out for each one. Retro collecting is getting crazy expensive. I wish I had this drive when I was making the big bucks back in the early 2000s but I wasn't thinking like I am now.

Top Bottom