• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega Saturn Appreciation and Emulation Thread

Celine

I always thought it was the Viper Stage walls and the breakable body armour that caused the graphical hit to the characters and resolution when compared to VF2. If it wasn't those I wish they would have not bothered with that shading and kept it high res.
Dead or Alive might be for you then :)

Celine

I like the DOA series but nowhere near as much as VF. And on Saturn graphics aside I prefer Fighters Megamix. I just would have loved the game to look as good as VF2 though.
I meant that DoA used similar graphics to VF2 (High res+60 fps).

gelf

I meant that DoA used similar graphics to VF2 (High res+60 fps).
Oh yes I was aware of that though I never owned the Saturn version unfortunately. I do have the Xbox port of DOA1, no idea how different that is from the Saturn game.

The arcade version of Dead or Alive looks waaayyy better than the Saturn and Xbox versions. The backgrounds aren't flat, and the characters have more polygons. There might be more, like better lighting or something, but I'm not sure. Still, it's a great port considering the Saturn hardware. The PlayStation version is pretty much an entirely different game.

Oh, and about Fighters Megamix...the back of the box actually mentions that it has Virtua Fighter 3 moves.

Timu

I had no idea. Did the character models look that good on Saturn? I'm impressed.
Yes, which makes it more impressive.

The arcade version of Dead or Alive looks waaayyy better than the Saturn and Xbox versions. The backgrounds aren't flat, and the characters have more polygons. There might be more, like better lighting or something, but I'm not sure. Still, it's a great port considering the Saturn hardware.
Just saw a vid, and wow, it's in a different league compared to those versions as there's more going on in the backgrounds as well. Like in this video.

Khaz

Sidesteps are in, although I'm not sure the VF3 Korean step can be done in FM. If anyone feels like giving this a go, I'd be interested in knowing.

I didn't know what the Korean step were, so I based myself on this video. I just tried it and it seems to work just like VF3, with some steps connecting with some others for flawless movement. Although I'm terribly bad at it and can only do it properly once after my fiftieth attempt.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Great stuff! Recorded the soundtrack to a cassette tape back in 1998.
Not sure how I missed this but that is raw as hell
I didn't know what the Korean step were, so I based myself on this video. I just tried it and it seems to work just like VF3, with some steps connecting with some others for flawless movement. Although I'm terribly bad at it and can only do it properly once after my fiftieth attempt.

Cool, thanks!

Valkyria

Banned
Die Hard Arcade is a very hard game to come by. The cheapest I've seen is $60 for a used copy on eBay. Sheesh.

Buy Dynamite Deka and you are good to go. Almost everything is in english, so language is not a barrier.

this basket was more than full of SS games

then I passed and bought 12 games among the ones with the spine-card :D

And Dreamcast's too. So jelous, I would probably would buy them all.

And Dreamcast's too. So jelous, I would probably would buy them all.

I only look for games complete with spine-card, my entire SS collection has been made in that way (after today I should have passed the 230 mark)
There were not so many DC games (just that small part on the bottom left corner) and most of them were w/o the spine-card :(

Valkyria

Banned
I only look for games complete with spine-card, my entire SS collection has been made in that way (after today I should have passed the 230 mark)
There were not so many DC games (just that small part on the bottom left corner) and most of them were w/o the spine-card :(

Spine card is always nice, but sometimes I can go without. Anyway, I'm sure there the games are cheaper that what you usually find on ebay, so aiming only to spine cards is fine.

StevieWhite

Anybody know a good place to get a mod chip for my Sega Saturn and possibly even have it installed?

Are these the only ones the only ones out there?

http://www.segastyle.com/store/

http://www.racketboy.com/saturn-modchip/installation.htm

Looking at this they said that racketboys is the way to go. I im wondering are there any other alternatives out there?
http://blog.hardcoregaming101.net/2011/11/racketboy-vs-rob-webb-saturn-mod-chips.html

Have you considered a Pseudo Saturn? Might be an easier way to get the desired effect.

KC-Slater

Anybody know a good place to get a mod chip for my Sega Saturn and possibly even have it installed?

Are these the only ones the only ones out there?

http://www.segastyle.com/store/

http://www.racketboy.com/saturn-modchip/installation.htm

Looking at this they said that racketboys is the way to go. I im wondering are there any other alternatives out there?
http://blog.hardcoregaming101.net/2011/11/racketboy-vs-rob-webb-saturn-mod-chips.html

Get a Saturn Rhea from here, and rip your games yourself. I have one, and it does the trick.

IrishNinja

Konami antique collection, nice! and man i want whatever's in that basket, yeah

Die Hard Arcade is a very hard game to come by. The cheapest I've seen is $60 for a used copy on eBay. Sheesh.

ugh, hearing this is worse than that time 16 bit called SOTN a garbage port

MathUser

What are you supposed to do with the spine card? Where does it go? On the inside or outside of the case. I just bought a game online and it says it comes with one but I don't know what to do with it.

That sounds so awesome. Nothing like local play with friends.

I really miss that. :(

I miss it so much. My friends and I still talk but we aren't nearly as close. Back then, it was Friday nights at one friend's house, every Friday. Anime/Saturn/out to eat. It never got old. Dreamcast came out, same thing. Anime meetings were best because we would bring nothing but imports pretty much, and more people would show up and be blown away at the Saturn's library.

What are you supposed to do with the spine card? Where does it go? On the inside or outside of the case. I just bought a game online and it says it comes with one but I don't know what to do with it.

If you're not crazy about it, sell it to collectors to recoup some, I guess?

as far as storage goes, it's pretty safe to place it in the centerfold of the game manual

I miss it so much. My friends and I still talk but we aren't nearly as close. Back then, it was Friday nights at one friend's house, every Friday. Anime/Saturn/out to eat. It never got old. Dreamcast came out, same thing. Anime meetings were best because we would bring nothing but imports pretty much, and more people would show up and be blown away at the Saturn's library.
That's cool as heck. It's a shame things aren't like that anymore but i guess nothing gold can stay

Mzo

as far as storage goes, it's pretty safe to place it in the centerfold of the game manual

Yeah, I stick them in the center of the booklet where the staples are and never, ever look at them again.

Most of my J stuff has spine cards but I really, honestly don't care about them the tiniest bit. I should try selling or trading them...

So here it is the purchase I made yesterday from that basket

Of course a lot of craps, but some of them are not easy to find, and VFRemix, Gungriffon and Magical Drop are more than pretty decent titles I think ;)

Vark

So. After almost a decade and a half I've decided it's time to part with my copy of PDS. I need the money to fund my game development and, quite frankly, I'd rather someone else have the chance to play it rather than it sit on a shelf unloved.

2015-03-03%2012.25.18.jpg

So I've been spending the last few days playing through (since it only takes ~12 hrs).

So good, yet oddly unfinished, and occasionally disjointed.

So. After almost a decade and a half I've decided it's time to part with my copy of PDS. I need the money to fund my game development and, quite frankly, I'd rather someone else have the chance to play it rather than it sit on a shelf unloved.

http://www.beerandgames.com/gaf/2015-03-03%2012.25.18.jpg[IMG]

So I've been spending the last few days playing through (since it only takes ~12 hrs).

So good, yet oddly unfinished, and occasionally disjointed.[/QUOTE]

:c

Don't have an extra kidney to sell instead?

Still on the lookout for a good copy of it myself. The biggest problem is finding it in the condition I want. Have the money and don't have any problem spending what it is going for, it's just hard to trust listing pictures on ebay for a game that costs over $300.

Bar81

Still on the lookout for a good copy of it myself. The biggest problem is finding it in the condition I want. Have the money and don't have any problem spending what it is going for, it's just hard to trust listing pictures on ebay for a game that costs over $300.

Why is it hard to trust your own eyes? If the pics aren't good then ask for better ones; if they don't do that then pass. I like ebay because of the large pictures it allows - try buying something from Yahoo JP and you'll realize how good ebay is in that regard.

Why is it hard to trust your own eyes? If the pics aren't good then ask for better ones; if they don't do that then pass. I like ebay because of the large pictures it allows - try buying something from Yahoo JP and you'll realize how good ebay is in that regard.

My eyes can lie, pictures can mislead. It can be hard to see cracks or bends on the spine of Saturn game manuals because they are white, it is hard to get pictures of the disk to show off no scratches. A number of things like that make it hard for me to just trust a pictures alone for the higher price games that I want to get even if I have the cash in hand for them.

StevieWhite

2015-03-03%2012.25.18.jpg

So good, yet oddly unfinished, and occasionally disjointed.

Sad that you have to let it go. What are your thoughts upon replaying? I played through it again last summer, and I was surprised by how little I used the morph feature. Still a great game, but far more straightforward than I remember it being.

Had a pretty mindblowing ending - It's a shame people don't talk about that aspect of it more.

This is right about where I am with this. Pictures can be deceiving, especially with CD based games.

Beartruck

I gave up trying to get a good US copy for a reasonable price, so I just got the Japanese version, the UK demo disc that has the first 3 hours of the game, and played discs 2-4 through a modchipped Saturn with CD-R's. I feel the JP version has way better cover art anyway.

I was watching old Game Sack episodes, and had no idea Keio 2 was basically a completely different game from the Sega CD one, even though it still has a couple shooter stages. Its on my radar now, even though its money, of course.

JLynn

Damn if I'm bad at Sega Touring Car Championship, but I love its soundtrack so much. I can't race one lap without hitting walls at least a few dozen times, but the soundtrack drags me back to it every time.

Please don't drop me
This one is clearly Sega flavoured
My favourite. Not really videogamey, though.

Loved the soundtrack. Favorite is RU Wake Up (Or something like that). One minute in and you're hearing a snippet of The Rev. Dr. MLK Jr's I've Been To The Mountaintop sermon.

Super trippy.

cireza

Sega Touring Car is fantastic. Love it. You can unlock 2 tracks and 3 cars.

The Sega Racing Proto can be driven manually or by the computer. If you train de AI (by doing Time Attack) of the car until it wins the Championship, then you will unlock the Sega Rally cars (Lancia Delta and Toyota Celica).

Vark

My eyes can lie, pictures can mislead. It can be hard to see cracks or bends on the spine of Saturn game manuals because they are white, it is hard to get pictures of the disk to show off no scratches. A number of things like that make it hard for me to just trust a pictures alone for the higher price games that I want to get even if I have the cash in hand for them.

Yea I like it when people photograph stuff from all angles. I think people respond better to it anyway. Ive noticed a lot of copies of PDS have slightly wavy rear covers. I think they were using cheaper paper and there's nothing in the case that forces it flat.

Top Bottom